[WikiEN-l] How to stop Encyclopedia Dramatica from making attack articles on us

Re: [WikiEN-l] How to stop Encyclopedia Dramatica from makingattack articles on

Stan Shebs-2
Tony Jacobs wrote:
>   As someone who appreciates both wikis, I continue to explain to each
> that the editors of the other are actually human beings, and not some
> kind of monsters.
Sure they're humans - average-age-14 humans, from the looks of it.
> If they stop making fun of Wikipedians, it'll be because they decide
> we're cool after all, not because we declare war on them and somehow
> win.
I *so* don't care whether 14-year-olds think I'm cool or not.

Stan

Re: [WikiEN-l] How to stop Encyclopedia Dramatica from making attack articles on us

Matthew Brown-5
<AOL>Me too.</AOL>

Re: [WikiEN-l] How to stop Encyclopedia Dramatica from making attack articles on us

Kurt Maxwell Weber
On Wednesday 24 January 2007 12:32, Will wrote:
> Any reason to take ED down would be good, although it probably won't
> happen.

Oh, grow up.
--
Kurt Weber
<[hidden email]>

Re: [WikiEN-l] How to stop Encyclopedia Dramatica from makingattack articles on

Tony Jacobs
>From: Stan Shebs <[hidden email]>
>
>Tony Jacobs wrote:
> >   As someone who appreciates both wikis, I continue to explain to each
> > that the editors of the other are actually human beings, and not some
> > kind of monsters.
>Sure they're humans - average-age-14 humans, from the looks of it.

I don't know of any that young.  The ones I know range in age from 19 to 30.
  I think a lot are college age.

> > If they stop making fun of Wikipedians, it'll be because they decide
> > we're cool after all, not because we declare war on them and somehow
> > win.
>I *so* don't care whether 14-year-olds think I'm cool or not.

Then you're contributing to a conversation about "how to stop" them... for
what reason?  You're making a point here?  Are you advocating anything I'm
not?  You think we shouldn't ignore them?  You think we should go ahead and
generate lots of drama in some kind of wiki-war?

I find your reply puzzling.

Tony/GTBacchus

Tony Jacobs wrote:
> Then you're contributing to a conversation about "how to stop" them... for
> what reason?  You're making a point here?  Are you advocating anything I'm
> not?  You think we shouldn't ignore them?  You think we should go ahead and
> generate lots of drama in some kind of wiki-war?

I think that the time spent talking about them is milliseconds we'll
never get back. They are of no significance.

Stan

Re: [WikiEN-l] How to stop Encyclopedia Dramatica from making attack articles on us

NSLE (Wikipedia)
Indeed, quite on the contrary, as someone who is also targetted. Just ignore
them. We leave tthem alone, they leave the rest of us alone, then there's
nothing more to pursue.

On 25/01/07, Kurt Maxwell Weber <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wednesday 24 January 2007 12:32, Will wrote:
> > Any reason to take ED down would be good, although it probably won't
> > happen.
>
> Oh, grow up.
> --
> Kurt Weber
> <[hidden email]>

Re: [WikiEN-l] How to stop Encyclopedia Dramatica from making attack articles on us

George William Herbert
On 1/24/07, Will <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Just my two cents as one of those Wikipedians that has been targeted.
>
> The pages really aren't that nice. Over the past few months, the
> simple factthat the page about me (and on nathanr, to an extent) is
> there has almost
> driven off the wiki several times, and in fact, it was the final reason
> behind my departure.
>
> Any reason to take ED down would be good, although it probably won't happen.

A good reason NOT to take ED down would be that they aren't breaking
the law and that there's no internet-wide general policy against being
a steaming asshole.

I think it's entirely appropriate for Wikipedia to offiically ignore
(actively not allow linking, etc) ED given its activities.  But,
something being hostile to the Wikipedia community in no way gives
Wikipedia special rights to go out into the rest of the Internet and
"stop them".

If their harrassment of you or others rises to the level of a civil
tort in the US, then by all means call an attorney.  If it rises to
the level of criminal, by all means call the police and the ISP.

As others have posted, it's exposing Wikipedia to potential liability
to be talking about "takedown strategies" for another website on a
Wikipedia mailing list.  Please stop.

--
-george william herbert

Re: [WikiEN-l] How to stop Encyclopedia Dramatica from making attack articles on us

Alphax (Wikipedia email)
· Firefoxman wrote:
> Wouldent they deserve their own article?

The only NPOV statement I have in response to that is "go read the
Arbcom case".

Re: [WikiEN-l] How to stop Encyclopedia Dramatica from making attack articles on us

Parker Peters-2
See also: [[Lone wolf (terrorism]].

And I'm disgusted to see one of our members making this kind of call. You do
realize this does more damage to us, because it's an outright call for
people to try to disguise their connection to Wikipedia when filing
fraudulent claims.

Plus, I thought you were better than that, Luna.

Parker