[WikiEN-l] New Test Templates

Myles Gray
Will someone please explain to me why the new test templates have a number one in front of it? I was placing {{uw-vandalism3}} on the user's talk page, and I find a number one. See here<about:blank>. Thanks! --Bushcarrot<about:en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Bushcarrot>

Re: [WikiEN-l] New Test Templates

Rory Stolzenberg
On 1/22/07, Myles Gray <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Will someone please explain to me why the new test templates have a number
> one in front of it? I was placing {{uw-vandalism3}} on the user's talk page,
> and I find a number one. See here<about:blank>. Thanks! --Bushcarrot<about:
> en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Bushcarrot>

See
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikipedia:WikiProject_on_user_warning_layout_standardisation&oldid=92676384

Re: [WikiEN-l] New Test Templates

Myles Gray
Thank you.
  On 1/22/07, Myles Gray <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

  > Will someone please explain to me why the new test templates have a number
  > one in front of it? I was placing {{uw-vandalism3}} on the user's talk page,
  > and I find a number one. See here<about:blank>. Thanks! --Bushcarrot<about:
  > en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Bushcarrot>

  See
  http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikipedia:WikiProject_on_user_warning_layout_standardisation&oldid=92676384<http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikipedia:WikiProject_on_user_warning_layout_standardisation&oldid=92676384>

Re: [WikiEN-l] New Test Templates

Eugene van der Pijll
Rory Stolzenberg schreef:
> On 1/22/07, Myles Gray <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Will someone please explain to me why the new test templates have a number
> > one in front of it?
>
> See
> http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikipedia:WikiProject_on_user_warning_layout_standardisation&oldid=92676384

Right. So it is to make these templates more useful for book-keeping, and
to make them look less like personal communication.

Eugene

Re: [WikiEN-l] New Test Templates

Myles Gray
Okay, I was confused at first. So, thanks for clearing that up.
  > On 1/22/07, Myles Gray <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
  > >
  > > Will someone please explain to me why the new test templates have a number
  > > one in front of it?
  >
  > See
  > http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikipedia:WikiProject_on_user_warning_layout_standardisation&oldid=92676384<http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikipedia:WikiProject_on_user_warning_layout_standardisation&oldid=92676384>

  Right. So it is to make these templates more useful for book-keeping, and
  to make them look less like personal communication.

  Eugene

Re: [WikiEN-l] New Test Templates

MacGyverMagic/Mgm
Layout standardization is a nice goal, but why do the templates have to be
given a longer name?
Why can't the change be discussed and the resulting layout applied to the
existing templates as was done with FAC templates and the like?

Mgm

On 1/23/07, Myles Gray <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Okay, I was confused at first. So, thanks for clearing that up.

Andrew Gray
On 23/01/07, MacGyverMagic/Mgm <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Layout standardization is a nice goal, but why do the templates have to be
> given a longer name?
> Why can't the change be discussed and the resulting layout applied to the
> existing templates as was done with FAC templates and the like?

The idea appears to be to phase them in; if you don't like them you
can continue using the traditional warnings. At some indefinite point,
if the community is happy with them, {{test2-n}} and all its friends
will presumably become redirects to these,,,

--
- Andrew Gray

Re: [WikiEN-l] New Test Templates

Alphax (Wikipedia email)
Eugene van der Pijll wrote:

> Rory Stolzenberg schreef:
>> On 1/22/07, Myles Gray <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Will someone please explain to me why the new test templates have a number
>>> one in front of it?
>> See
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikipedia:WikiProject_on_user_warning_layout_standardisation&oldid=92676384
>
> Right. So it is to make these templates more useful for book-keeping, and
> to make them look less like personal communication.

Of course, in the Good Old Days, they were SUPPOSED to look like
personal communication, for those of us too lazy to write custom
messages each time...

Re: [WikiEN-l] New Test Templates

· Firefoxman
Oh well...

On 1/24/07, Alphax (Wikipedia email) <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Eugene van der Pijll wrote:
> > Rory Stolzenberg schreef:
> number
> >> See
> >>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikipedia:WikiProject_on_user_warning_layout_standardisation&oldid=92676384
> >
> > Right. So it is to make these templates more useful for book-keeping,
> and
> > to make them look less like personal communication.
> >

> Of course, in the Good Old Days, they were SUPPOSED to look like
> personal communication, for those of us too lazy to write custom
> messages each time...
>
> --
> Alphax - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Alphax
> Contributor to Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopedia
> "We make the internet not suck" - Jimbo Wales
> Public key: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Alphax/OpenPGP

-Firefoxman

Re: [WikiEN-l] New Test Templates

Philip Sandifer-2

On Jan 24, 2007, at 10:47 AM, Alphax (Wikipedia email) wrote:

> Eugene van der Pijll wrote:
>> Rory Stolzenberg schreef:
>>> See
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?
>>> title=Wikipedia:WikiProject_on_user_warning_layout_standardisation&o
>>> ldid=92676384
>>
>> Right. So it is to make these templates more useful for book-
>> keeping, and
>> to make them look less like personal communication.
>>

> Of course, in the Good Old Days, they were SUPPOSED to look like
> personal communication, for those of us too lazy to write custom
> messages each time...

Yes, well, this was before we decided that vandalism was an epic
problem that required a special task force to deal with it.

Which is another entry on the growing list of "problems that have
been left to fester long enough on Wikipedia that they're going to
require drastic solutions.

-Phil

Re: [WikiEN-l] New Test Templates

geni
On 1/24/07, Alphax (Wikipedia email) <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Of course, in the Good Old Days, they were SUPPOSED to look like
> personal communication, for those of us too lazy to write custom
> messages each time...

No even then there were people who disputed this. For example user:Fvw
wouldn't subst them because he wanted people to understand that the
messages were standadised and the vandel was doing nothing new.

--
geni

geni wrote:

> On 1/24/07, Alphax (Wikipedia email) <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Of course, in the Good Old Days, they were SUPPOSED to look like
>> personal communication, for those of us too lazy to write custom
>> messages each time...
>>

> No even then there were people who disputed this. For example user:Fvw
> wouldn't subst them because he wanted people to understand that the
> messages were standadised and the vandel was doing nothing new.

Hmm, the inspiration for WP:DENY...