WikiExpedition

Aude-2
Wikimedia DC invites you to participate in WikiExpedition on Sunday, July 16th, as part of the Wikimania unconference.

WikiExpedition is a one-day (morning/afternoon/evening) photography event based on photographing certain targets (buildings, sites, train stations, etc) that are devoid of pictures on Wikimedia Commons or various Wikimedia projects. WikiExpedition gets volunteers with cameras associated with a list of targets in 22 central regions throughout Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia and Washington D.C.  WikiExpedition is free to participate in.

The 22 regions are given certain amounts of points per objective, and in competition style, the team (or person) with the most points will win the contest and be given prizes. Photographs will be taken from the memory cards of Wikipedians and onto a laptop dedicated to uploading all of the photos to the Wikimedia Commons.

Provided will be a list of targets, a set of index cards that will also serve as important to photography (will be explained at the event), and SmarTrip cards, which will be basically an unlimited pass along the D.C. Metro. However, for the outer communities, a car will be required, since commuter trains do not run on weekends. This is a Sunday only event and photography done beforehand cannot be accepted. This competition is purely fun and don’t let greed of points devoid photograph quality. All rules will be explained at the event.

Details:

Signup for WikiExpedition:

Cheers,
Katie

--
Board member, Wikimedia District of Columbia
http://wikimediadc.org

Re: WikiExpedition

Shujen Chang
signed up.
and what it about?

On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 1:08 AM, aude <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Sincerely,
Shujen Chang

Re: WikiExpedition

Ravan Jaafar
Signed up! :)
I wished if I will be among team but I don't know anyone personally!  :(
I think it will be a lot of fun even alone .. especially if you are crazy about photography just like me.

Regards,
Ravan

[...]

http://wikimania2012.wikimedia.org/wiki/WikiExpedition

Signup for WikiExpedition:

Cheers,
Katie

--
Board member, Wikimedia District of Columbia
http://wikimediadc.org
@wikimediadc / @wikimania2012

--
Board member, Wikimedia District of Columbia
http://wikimediadc.org
@wikimediadc / @wikimania2012

Re: WikiExpedition

Nicholas Michael Bashour
Remember to add a camera to your packing list! Or if your phone takes good photos, that's an option, too :)

2012/6/27 Shujen Chang <[hidden email]>
signed up.and what it about?

It's a fun photo Safari to take pictures of places around DC for Wikimedia Commons :)

2012/6/27 Ravan Jaafar <[hidden email]>
Signed up! :)
I wished if I will be among team but I don't know anyone personally!  :(

You can definitely make a team right before you start, and of course you can always do the expedition on your own, although I'm sure you'll get to know many new people during Wikimania who will also want to be on a team :)

Sincerely,

Nicholas Michael Bashour
President
Wikimedia District of Columbia
Washington, DC, USA

Re: WikiExpedition

Sebastian Wallroth-3
Signed up. This will be great!

2012/6/27 Shujen Chang <[hidden email]>:

> Seems interesting! I'll try my best to take photos as much as I can!
>
> On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 1:35 AM, Nicholas Michael Bashour
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Remember to add a camera to your packing list! Or if your phone takes good
>> photos, that's an option, too :)
>>
>>> 2012/6/27 Shujen Chang <[hidden email]>
>>> signed up.and what it about?
>>

>> It's a fun photo Safari to take pictures of places around DC for Wikimedia
>> Commons :)
>>
>> Sincerely,
>>
>> Nicholas Michael Bashour
>> President
>> Wikimedia District of Columbia
>> Washington, DC, USA

> Sincerely,
> Shujen Chang

Sebastian Wallroth
Präsidium
-------------------------------------
Wikimedia Deutschland e.V.
Obentrautstr. 72
10963 Berlin

Mobile 0172 - 582 49 63
http://about.me/real68er

http://www.wikimedia.de

Stellen Sie sich eine Welt vor, in der jeder Mensch freien Zugang zu
der Gesamtheit des Wissens der Menschheit hat. Helfen Sie uns dabei!
http://spenden.wikimedia.de/

unter der Nummer 23855 B. Als gemeinnützig anerkannt durch das

Re: WikiExpedition

metasj
Fun!  Is there a team size limit?  I just signed the wmf board up as
team Board Gamers...

2012/6/29 Sebastian Wallroth <[hidden email]>:

> Signed up. This will be great!
>
> 2012/6/27 Shujen Chang <[hidden email]>:
>> Seems interesting! I'll try my best to take photos as much as I can!
>>
>> On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 1:35 AM, Nicholas Michael Bashour
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Remember to add a camera to your packing list! Or if your phone takes good
>>> photos, that's an option, too :)

>>> It's a fun photo Safari to take pictures of places around DC for Wikimedia
>>> Commons :)
>>>
>>> Sincerely,
>>>
>>> Nicholas Michael Bashour
>>> President
>>> Wikimedia District of Columbia
>>> Washington, DC, USA

>> --
>> Sincerely,
>> Shujen Chang

> Sebastian Wallroth
> Präsidium
> -------------------------------------
> Wikimedia Deutschland e.V.
> Obentrautstr. 72
> 10963 Berlin
>
> Mobile 0172 - 582 49 63
> http://about.me/real68er
>
> http://www.wikimedia.de
>

> Stellen Sie sich eine Welt vor, in der jeder Mensch freien Zugang zu
> der Gesamtheit des Wissens der Menschheit hat. Helfen Sie uns dabei!
> http://spenden.wikimedia.de/

> Eingetragen im Vereinsregister des Amtsgerichts Berlin-Charlottenburg
> unter der Nummer 23855 B. Als gemeinnützig anerkannt durch das
> Finanzamt für Körperschaften I Berlin, Steuernummer 27/681/51985.

Samuel Klein          identi.ca:sj           w:user:sj          +1 617 529 4266

Re: WikiExpedition

Lodewijk
Do I understand correctly we have to choose between the expedition and sessions on the conference? Or is is in the evening mostly?

2012/6/29 Samuel Klein <[hidden email]>
Fun!  Is there a team size limit?  I just signed the wmf board up as
team Board Gamers...

2012/6/29 Sebastian Wallroth <[hidden email]>:
> Signed up. This will be great!
>
> 2012/6/27 Shujen Chang <[hidden email]>:
>> Seems interesting! I'll try my best to take photos as much as I can!
>>
>> On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 1:35 AM, Nicholas Michael Bashour
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Remember to add a camera to your packing list! Or if your phone takes good
>>> photos, that's an option, too :)

>>> It's a fun photo Safari to take pictures of places around DC for Wikimedia
>>> Commons :)
>>>
>>> Sincerely,
>>>
>>> Nicholas Michael Bashour
>>> President
>>> Wikimedia District of Columbia
>>> Washington, DC, USA

>> --
>> Sincerely,
>> Shujen Chang

> Sebastian Wallroth
> Präsidium
> -------------------------------------
> Wikimedia Deutschland e.V.
> Obentrautstr. 72
> 10963 Berlin
>
> Mobile 0172 - 582 49 63
> http://about.me/real68er
>
> http://www.wikimedia.de
>

> Stellen Sie sich eine Welt vor, in der jeder Mensch freien Zugang zu
> der Gesamtheit des Wissens der Menschheit hat. Helfen Sie uns dabei!
> http://spenden.wikimedia.de/

> Eingetragen im Vereinsregister des Amtsgerichts Berlin-Charlottenburg
> unter der Nummer 23855 B. Als gemeinnützig anerkannt durch das
> Finanzamt für Körperschaften I Berlin, Steuernummer <a href="tel:27%2F681%2F51985" value="+12768151985">27/681/51985.

Samuel Klein          identi.ca:sj           w:user:sj          <a href="tel:%2B1%20617%20529%204266" value="+16175294266">+1 617 529 4266

Re: WikiExpedition

James Hare
The WikiExpedition is Sunday only, so it's a choice between that and
the Unconference (unless you somehow find a way to come back early.)

James

On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 11:34 AM, Lodewijk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Do I understand correctly we have to choose between the expedition and
> sessions on the conference? Or is is in the evening mostly?
>

> 2012/6/29 Samuel Klein <[hidden email]>
>>
>> Fun!  Is there a team size limit?  I just signed the wmf board up as
>> team Board Gamers...
>>
>> 2012/6/29 Sebastian Wallroth <[hidden email]>:
>> > Signed up. This will be great!

>> > --
>> > Sebastian Wallroth
>> > Präsidium
>> > -------------------------------------
>> > Wikimedia Deutschland e.V.
>> > Obentrautstr. 72
>> > 10963 Berlin
>> >
>> > Mobile 0172 - 582 49 63
>> > http://about.me/real68er
>> >
>> > http://www.wikimedia.de
>> >

>> > Stellen Sie sich eine Welt vor, in der jeder Mensch freien Zugang zu
>> > der Gesamtheit des Wissens der Menschheit hat. Helfen Sie uns dabei!
>> > http://spenden.wikimedia.de/
>> >
>> > Wikimedia Deutschland - Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e.V.
>> > Eingetragen im Vereinsregister des Amtsgerichts Berlin-Charlottenburg
>> > unter der Nummer 23855 B. Als gemeinnützig anerkannt durch das
>> > Finanzamt für Körperschaften I Berlin, Steuernummer 27/681/51985.

>> --
>> Samuel Klein          identi.ca:sj           w:user:sj          +1 617 529
>> 4266

Re: WikiExpedition

Nicholas Michael Bashour
After you receive the instructions at 11am, I believe you're free to take the pictures anytime you want between then and 6pm, so you can attend some unconference sessions and then take pictures, or the other way around.

Sincerely,
Nicholas Michael Bashour

Sent from my iPhone

Am 29.06.2012 um 11:34 schrieb Lodewijk <[hidden email]>:

Do I understand correctly we have to choose between the expedition and sessions on the conference? Or is is in the evening mostly?

2012/6/29 Samuel Klein <[hidden email]>
Fun!  Is there a team size limit?  I just signed the wmf board up as
team Board Gamers...

2012/6/29 Sebastian Wallroth <[hidden email]>:
> Signed up. This will be great!
>
> 2012/6/27 Shujen Chang <[hidden email]>:
>> Seems interesting! I'll try my best to take photos as much as I can!
>>
>> On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 1:35 AM, Nicholas Michael Bashour
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Remember to add a camera to your packing list! Or if your phone takes good
>>> photos, that's an option, too :)

>>> It's a fun photo Safari to take pictures of places around DC for Wikimedia
>>> Commons :)
>>>
>>> Sincerely,
>>>
>>> Nicholas Michael Bashour
>>> President
>>> Wikimedia District of Columbia
>>> Washington, DC, USA

>> --
>> Sincerely,
>> Shujen Chang

> Sebastian Wallroth
> Präsidium
> -------------------------------------
> Wikimedia Deutschland e.V.
> Obentrautstr. 72
> 10963 Berlin
>
> Mobile 0172 - 582 49 63
> http://about.me/real68er
>
> http://www.wikimedia.de
>

> Stellen Sie sich eine Welt vor, in der jeder Mensch freien Zugang zu
> der Gesamtheit des Wissens der Menschheit hat. Helfen Sie uns dabei!
> http://spenden.wikimedia.de/

> Eingetragen im Vereinsregister des Amtsgerichts Berlin-Charlottenburg
> unter der Nummer 23855 B. Als gemeinnützig anerkannt durch das
> Finanzamt für Körperschaften I Berlin, Steuernummer <a href="tel:27%2F681%2F51985" value="+12768151985">27/681/51985.

Samuel Klein          identi.ca:sj           w:user:sj          <a href="tel:%2B1%20617%20529%204266" value="+16175294266">+1 617 529 4266

Re: WikiExpedition

Lodewijk
OK, too bad. Would have been nicer to extend it a day so that people can also do both if they like :)

Lodewijk

2012/6/29 Nicholas Bashour <[hidden email]>
After you receive the instructions at 11am, I believe you're free to take the pictures anytime you want between then and 6pm, so you can attend some unconference sessions and then take pictures, or the other way around.

Sincerely,
Nicholas Michael Bashour

Sent from my iPhone

Am 29.06.2012 um 11:34 schrieb Lodewijk <[hidden email]>:

Do I understand correctly we have to choose between the expedition and sessions on the conference? Or is is in the evening mostly?

2012/6/29 Samuel Klein <[hidden email]>
Fun!  Is there a team size limit?  I just signed the wmf board up as
team Board Gamers...

2012/6/29 Sebastian Wallroth <[hidden email]>:
> Signed up. This will be great!
>
> 2012/6/27 Shujen Chang <[hidden email]>:
>> Seems interesting! I'll try my best to take photos as much as I can!
>>
>> On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 1:35 AM, Nicholas Michael Bashour
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Remember to add a camera to your packing list! Or if your phone takes good
>>> photos, that's an option, too :)

>>> It's a fun photo Safari to take pictures of places around DC for Wikimedia
>>> Commons :)
>>>
>>> Sincerely,
>>>
>>> Nicholas Michael Bashour
>>> President
>>> Wikimedia District of Columbia
>>> Washington, DC, USA

>> --
>> Sincerely,
>> Shujen Chang

> Sebastian Wallroth
> Präsidium
> -------------------------------------
> Wikimedia Deutschland e.V.
> Obentrautstr. 72
> 10963 Berlin
>
> Mobile 0172 - 582 49 63
> http://about.me/real68er
>
> http://www.wikimedia.de
>

> Stellen Sie sich eine Welt vor, in der jeder Mensch freien Zugang zu
> der Gesamtheit des Wissens der Menschheit hat. Helfen Sie uns dabei!
> http://spenden.wikimedia.de/

> Eingetragen im Vereinsregister des Amtsgerichts Berlin-Charlottenburg
> unter der Nummer 23855 B. Als gemeinnützig anerkannt durch das
> Finanzamt für Körperschaften I Berlin, Steuernummer <a href="tel:27%2F681%2F51985" value="+12768151985" target="_blank">27/681/51985.

Samuel Klein          identi.ca:sj           w:user:sj          <a href="tel:%2B1%20617%20529%204266" value="+16175294266" target="_blank">+1 617 529 4266

Re: WikiExpedition

Ravan Jaafar
I do agree with Lodewijk, I think most of us don't want to waste a single moment in this event or miss any session or activity in Wikimania.

Regards,
Ravan

OK, too bad. Would have been nicer to extend it a day so that people can also do both if they like :)

Lodewijk

2012/6/29 Nicholas Bashour <[hidden email]>
After you receive the instructions at 11am, I believe you're free to take the pictures anytime you want between then and 6pm, so you can attend some unconference sessions and then take pictures, or the other way around.

Sincerely,
Nicholas Michael Bashour

Sent from my iPhone

Am 29.06.2012 um 11:34 schrieb Lodewijk <[hidden email]>:

Do I understand correctly we have to choose between the expedition and sessions on the conference? Or is is in the evening mostly?

2012/6/29 Samuel Klein <[hidden email]>
Fun!  Is there a team size limit?  I just signed the wmf board up as
team Board Gamers...

2012/6/29 Sebastian Wallroth <[hidden email]>:
> Signed up. This will be great!
>
> 2012/6/27 Shujen Chang <[hidden email]>:
>> Seems interesting! I'll try my best to take photos as much as I can!
>>
>> On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 1:35 AM, Nicholas Michael Bashour
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Remember to add a camera to your packing list! Or if your phone takes good
>>> photos, that's an option, too :)

>>> It's a fun photo Safari to take pictures of places around DC for Wikimedia
>>> Commons :)
>>>
>>> Sincerely,
>>>
>>> Nicholas Michael Bashour
>>> President
>>> Wikimedia District of Columbia
>>> Washington, DC, USA

>> --
>> Sincerely,
>> Shujen Chang

> Sebastian Wallroth
> Präsidium
> -------------------------------------
> Wikimedia Deutschland e.V.
> Obentrautstr. 72
> 10963 Berlin
>
> Mobile 0172 - 582 49 63
> http://about.me/real68er
>
> http://www.wikimedia.de
>

> Stellen Sie sich eine Welt vor, in der jeder Mensch freien Zugang zu
> der Gesamtheit des Wissens der Menschheit hat. Helfen Sie uns dabei!
> http://spenden.wikimedia.de/

> Eingetragen im Vereinsregister des Amtsgerichts Berlin-Charlottenburg
> unter der Nummer 23855 B. Als gemeinnützig anerkannt durch das
> Finanzamt für Körperschaften I Berlin, Steuernummer 27/681/51985.

Samuel Klein          identi.ca:sj           w:user:sj          +1 617 529 4266

Re: WikiExpedition

Adam Moss
I need to make a couple notes on WikiExpedition. I have noticed 90% of signups will be using the Metro for travel. Because Wikipedia photographers have been excellent in taking photography for National Register of Historic Places listings in DC, there are only 25 things in DC to see. However, you can take the Metro to certain areas on the list, such as Arlington and Alexandria, Bethesda/Rockville/College Park/etc. I am kind of hoping we get some signups for car, because I've made the list very broad in terms of distance. I'd love to see if someone dares going out to the far suburbs in VA, MD and even if you can manage it, WV.

I would like to make note of cell phones, the highly preferred method would be actual cameras, because we need to pull the photos off the memory card.

The email Katie sent has helped run up some signups from 2 to 11 thus far. I hope to see more come in soon.

Adam Moss
WikiExpedition Host and Designer

> Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2012 11:36:15 -0400

> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Wikimania-l] WikiExpedition
>
> The WikiExpedition is Sunday only, so it's a choice between that and
> the Unconference (unless you somehow find a way to come back early.)
>
> James
>
> On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 11:34 AM, Lodewijk <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Do I understand correctly we have to choose between the expedition and
> > sessions on the conference? Or is is in the evening mostly?
> >

> > 2012/6/29 Samuel Klein <[hidden email]>
> >>
> >> Fun!  Is there a team size limit?  I just signed the wmf board up as
> >> team Board Gamers...

> >> --
> >> Samuel Klein          identi.ca:sj           w:user:sj          +1 617 529
> >> 4266

Re: WikiExpedition

HJ Mitchell
I agree with the sentiment, but at an event the size and scale of Wikimania, it's never going to possible for everyone to do everything

----
Harry Mitchell
Phone: 024 7698 0977
I do agree with Lodewijk, I think most of us don't want to waste a single moment in this event or miss any session or activity in Wikimania.

Regards,
Ravan

OK, too bad. Would have been nicer to extend it a day so that people can also do both if they like :)

Lodewijk

2012/6/29 Nicholas Bashour <[hidden email]>
After you receive the instructions at 11am, I believe you're free to take the pictures anytime you want between then and 6pm, so you can attend some unconference sessions and then take pictures, or the other way around.

Sincerely,
Nicholas Michael Bashour

Sent from my iPhone

Am 29.06.2012 um 11:34 schrieb Lodewijk <[hidden email]>:

Do I understand correctly we have to choose between the expedition and sessions on the conference? Or is is in the evening mostly?

2012/6/29 Samuel Klein <[hidden email]>
Fun!  Is there a team size limit?  I just signed the wmf board up as
team Board Gamers...

2012/6/29 Sebastian Wallroth <[hidden email]>:
> Signed up. This will be great!
>
> 2012/6/27 Shujen Chang <[hidden email]>:
>> Seems interesting! I'll try my best to take photos as much as I can!
>>
>> On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 1:35 AM, Nicholas Michael Bashour
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Remember to add a camera to your packing list! Or if your phone takes good
>>> photos, that's an option, too :)

>>> It's a fun photo Safari to take pictures of places around DC for Wikimedia
>>> Commons :)
>>>
>>> Sincerely,
>>>
>>> Nicholas Michael Bashour
>>> President
>>> Wikimedia District of Columbia
>>> Washington, DC, USA

>> --
>> Sincerely,
>> Shujen Chang

> Sebastian Wallroth
> Präsidium
> -------------------------------------
> Wikimedia Deutschland e.V.
> Obentrautstr. 72
> 10963 Berlin
>
> Mobile 0172 - 582 49 63
> http://about.me/real68er
>
> http://www.wikimedia.de
>

> Stellen Sie sich eine Welt vor, in der jeder Mensch freien Zugang zu
> der Gesamtheit des Wissens der Menschheit hat. Helfen Sie uns dabei!
> http://spenden.wikimedia.de/

> Eingetragen im Vereinsregister des Amtsgerichts Berlin-Charlottenburg
> unter der Nummer 23855 B. Als gemeinnützig anerkannt durch das
> Finanzamt für Körperschaften I Berlin, Steuernummer 27/681/51985.

Samuel Klein          identi.ca:sj           w:user:sj          +1 617 529 4266

Re: WikiExpedition

Federico Leva (Nemo)
Adam Moss, 29/06/2012 20:27:
> I need to make a couple notes on WikiExpedition. I have noticed 90% of
> signups will be using the Metro for travel. Because Wikipedia
> photographers have been excellent in taking photography for National
> Register of Historic Places listings in DC, there are only 25 things in
> DC to see. However, you can take the Metro to certain areas on the list,
> such as Arlington and Alexandria, Bethesda/Rockville/College Park/etc. I
> am kind of hoping we get some signups for car, because I've made the
> list very broad in terms of distance. I'd love to see if someone dares
> going out to the far suburbs in VA, MD and even if you can manage it, WV.

So you need car-driving locals to signup and carry non-locals around...
How many attendees are coming by car, so you have a list? :)

Nemo