WikiScience announce

Felipe Ortega
Hello.

We would like to announce the release of WikiScience, an initiative to create a virtual space promoting interaction and interdisciplinary research among wiki researchers around the world.

So far, we have only one tool online (a wiki to collect contributions, and organize ideas to further develop this initiative). In the following weeks we want to develop additional services to finally create a demo site with some useful functionalities to pursue our gobal objectives (annotated bibliography support, network of researchers, list of research tools and documentation, etc.).

You can access the wiki at http://wikiscience.libresoft.es/wiki, and help us with your ideas and contributions. If you also want to collaborate in developing services for the new demo, please let us know too.

Best regards,

F.

Re: WikiScience announce

Michael Reschke
a virtual space promoting interaction and interdisciplinary research among wiki researchers around the world

http://en.wikiversity.org

so what?

Yours Michael from Germany

2008/10/1 Felipe Ortega <[hidden email]>
[...]

Daniel Kinzler
Felipe Ortega schrieb:
> Hello.
>
> We would like to announce the release of WikiScience, an initiative to create
> a virtual space promoting interaction and interdisciplinary research among
> wiki researchers around the world.

Great, I hope it takes off! Maybe it would hep to say what should go on the
wiki. Is it a place to write about your research project, or any research
project people know? About tools? Papers? People? Wiki engines? Defining the
scope is really important - and inviting people to add this stuff. now :)

> You can access the wiki at http://wikiscience.libresoft.es/wiki, and help us
> with your ideas and contributions. If you also want to collaborate in
> developing services for the new demo, please let us know too.

One thing I would suggest is a "WikiResearchPlanet" aggregated RSS feed. It
could be based on a wiki page where people can add (and remove) feeds to aggregate.

-- daniel

Re: WikiScience announce

Daniel Kinzler
Michael Reschke schrieb:
> a virtual space promoting interaction and interdisciplinary research
> among wiki researchers around the world
>
> http://en.wikiversity.org
>
> so what?

Uh... from the front page: "Wikiversity is a Wikimedia Foundation project
devoted to learning resources and learning projects for all levels, types, and
styles of education from pre-school to university, including professional
training and informal learning."

That is something complety different. The focus is on learning/teaching, not on
research. And it's for learning about anything, not focused on researching
wikis. Cooperation with Wikiversity is of course a good idea, but it's be no
means redundant.

-- daniel

Re: WikiScience announce

Daniel Kinzler
A technical issue:

I created an account, but i'm unable to confirm my email address. I'm not
getting any mail.

Now, I know that my hoster is VERY strict about the mail protocol, and rejects
anything that is even slightly divergent from the spec. Can you please check
your log if a mail to brightbyte.de got bounced?

-- daniel

PS: doing this via the list because others may have similar problems

Re: WikiScience announce

Liam Wyatt
I don't believe Wikiversity was ever intended to be "only teaching" but about learning more generally - and that includes research.
I would like to see what it is that Wikiscience offers that is substantively different (technically or practically) from the already established wikiversity. Perhaps these "other functionalities" in the future will indeed do that, I don't know.

But, generally speaking, I would have thought it was preferred to have less projects with wider scope rather than a multitude of projects with very narrow scope.

-Liam Wyatt

wikipediaweekly.org
Skype - Wittylama
Wikipedia - [[User:Witty lama]]

On 01/10/2008, at 9:05 PM, Daniel Kinzler wrote:

Michael Reschke schrieb:
a virtual space promoting interaction and interdisciplinary research
among wiki researchers around the world

so what?

Uh... from the front page: "Wikiversity is a Wikimedia Foundation project
devoted to learning resources and learning projects for all levels, types, and
styles of education from pre-school to university, including professional
training and informal learning."

That is something complety different. The focus is on learning/teaching, not on
research. And it's for learning about anything, not focused on researching
wikis. Cooperation with Wikiversity is of course a good idea, but it's be no
means redundant.

-- daniel

Re: WikiScience announce

Cormac Lawler
On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 12:05 PM, Daniel Kinzler <[hidden email]> wrote:
Michael Reschke schrieb:
> a virtual space promoting interaction and interdisciplinary research
> among wiki researchers around the world
>
> http://en.wikiversity.org
>
> so what?

Uh... from the front page: "Wikiversity is a Wikimedia Foundation project
devoted to learning resources and learning projects for all levels, types, and
styles of education from pre-school to university, including professional
training and informal learning."

That is something complety different. The focus is on learning/teaching, not on
research. And it's for learning about anything, not focused on researching
wikis. Cooperation with Wikiversity is of course a good idea, but it's be no
means redundant.

To clarify: it's incorrect that Wikiversity is not focused on research; research is one of the core focuses of Wikiversity, complementing learning resources and learning activities. Just like other learning 'institutions', research is seen as an educational activity, and as a driver of further knowledge and resources. It's always been a core focus to get researchers (including, but not limited to, on wikis) together on Wikiversity - to share and discuss each other's work, and to collaborate on further work. However, I admit this isn't so clear from the main page, so I'll edit that now. :-)

Conversely, I'd also like a bit more clarity on what WikiScience aims to do, and how it aims to do it. For example, it seems that there is an explicit aim to integrate other tools alongside a wiki in this work - is that right? It would be good, in general, to expand on its scope and vision - as well as an indication of the activity/people/organisation behind it so far. That might help set a foundation for further development and collaboration. ;-)

Cheers,
Cormac

Re: WikiScience announce

Liam Wyatt

Michael Reschke schrieb:
> a virtual space promoting interaction and interdisciplinary research
> among wiki researchers around the world
>
> http://en.wikiversity.org
>
> so what?

Uh... from the front page: "Wikiversity is a Wikimedia Foundation project
devoted to learning resources and learning projects for all levels, types, and
styles of education from pre-school to university, including professional
training and informal learning."

That is something complety different. The focus is on learning/teaching, not on
research. And it's for learning about anything, not focused on researching
wikis. Cooperation with Wikiversity is of course a good idea, but it's be no
means redundant.

To clarify: it's incorrect that Wikiversity is not focused on research; research is one of the core focuses of Wikiversity, complementing learning resources and learning activities. Just like other learning 'institutions', research is seen as an educational activity, and as a driver of further knowledge and resources. It's always been a core focus to get researchers (including, but not limited to, on wikis) together on Wikiversity - to share and discuss each other's work, and to collaborate on further work. However, I admit this isn't so clear from the main page, so I'll edit that now. :-)

Conversely, I'd also like a bit more clarity on what WikiScience aims to do, and how it aims to do it. For example, it seems that there is an explicit aim to integrate other tools alongside a wiki in this work - is that right? It would be good, in general, to expand on its scope and vision - as well as an indication of the activity/people/organisation behind it so far. That might help set a foundation for further development and collaboration. ;-)

Cheers,
Cormac

Precisely Cormac, precisely.
-Liam wyatt

Re: WikiScience announce

Andrea Forte
Great, Felipe!

It's always good to see new initiatives and I hope that it is a
success for you and everyone involved. This list is a great place to
find support for such ventures, and I hope to see more new research
collaborations and resource sharing efforts succeed.

Andrea

PS. It was good to see you last month and thanks for your help with
the grant proposal efforts, btw! Fingers crossed. :)

On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 6:39 AM, Felipe Ortega <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> We would like to announce the release of WikiScience, an initiative to create a virtual space promoting interaction and interdisciplinary research among wiki researchers around the world.
>
> So far, we have only one tool online (a wiki to collect contributions, and organize ideas to further develop this initiative). In the following weeks we want to develop additional services to finally create a demo site with some useful functionalities to pursue our gobal objectives (annotated bibliography support, network of researchers, list of research tools and documentation, etc.).
>
> You can access the wiki at http://wikiscience.libresoft.es/wiki, and help us with your ideas and contributions. If you also want to collaborate in developing services for the new demo, please let us know too.
>
> Best regards,
>
> F.

Re: WikiScience announce

Daniel Kinzler
>> To clarify: it's incorrect that Wikiversity is not focused on
>> research; research is one of the core focuses of Wikiversity,
>> complementing learning resources and learning activities. Just like
>> other learning 'institutions', research is seen as an educational
>> activity, and as a driver of further knowledge and resources. It's
>> always been a core focus to get researchers (including, but not
>> limited to, on wikis) together on Wikiversity - to share and discuss
>> each other's work, and to collaborate on further work. However, I
>> admit this isn't so clear from the main page, so I'll edit that now. :-)
>>
>> Conversely, I'd also like a bit more clarity on what WikiScience aims
>> to do, and how it aims to do it. For example, it seems that there is
>> an explicit aim to integrate other tools alongside a wiki in this work
>> - is that right? It would be good, in general, to expand on its scope
>> and vision - as well as an indication of the
>> activity/people/organisation behind it so far. That might help set a
>> foundation for further development and collaboration. ;-)
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Cormac

Ok now... I didn't mean to say that research how no place at Wikiversity - I was
just under the impression that it's not the main focus. But I may be wrong there.

In my mind, comparing the proposed research wiki to Wikiversity is odd, because
Wikiversity is so much broader in scope. Comparing it to Wikiversitie's
"Wikimedia Studies" portal
<http://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Portal:Wikimedia_Studies> makes more sense to
me. And there is indeed some overlap.

Now, I don't know exactly what Filipe has in mind, but from what I understand of
Wikiversity, and what I would like WikiScience to be, here are the main points I
see for WikiScience:

* It would be a place to write abut individual projects, wiki engines,
frameworks, etc.
* WikiScience would be a place to collect, share and document individual tools
and libraries.
* WikiScience would offer additional services, such as a dedicated news feed or
a mailing list (though perhaps Wiki-research-l is sufficient, if we replace
"Wikimedia" in the title by "Wiki"). Maye there could even be a repository for
code and data.
* Bibliographies would of course also be important -- though I also see that for
Wikiversity. Maybe they could be federated somehow? (btw, cooperation with the
openlibrary is currently pondered)

In short, I imagine  WikiScience would be the place for me to go when I want to
find a tool for a specific task, or discuss experiences with specific problems
with fellow researchers. While Wikiversity is where I would go when I want to
get an overview of the results of research done on wikis, to "learn about
wikis". Also, by nature, Wikiversity focuses on wikimedia, while WikiScience
would not automatically -- though of course Wikipedia is the most common
research subject.

Anyway... I don't think the effort is redundant, just like Wookipedia is not
redundant to Portal:Star_Wars. But we should of course be careful not to
fragment community and content. So, let's cooperate and work on making these
things *complementary*.

-- daniel

Re: WikiScience announce

EUROPOL
Hello Phillip,

Thanks for your initiative. I would appreciate an active wiki-research-
community.

And I agree with Michael. I think active research-communities would
strengthen the wikiversity project. As far as I see the border between
learning and research is not that hard in wikiversity. But maybe it is
more reasonable to talk about migrating the project, when it is active.

So I will give it a try. Happy birthday and good luck to wikiscience!

Best regards

EUR

Re: WikiScience announce

EUROPOL
Hallo Felipe!

Sorry for confusing your name.

Greetings

Marc

Re: WikiScience announce

Felipe Ortega
OK, I'll do it ASAP, we installed a very simple email server, but we tested it and everything was OK.

I'll let you know as soon as I discover the problem.

Thanks.

F.

> I created an account, but i'm unable to confirm my
> email address. I'm not
> getting any mail.
>
> Now, I know that my hoster is VERY strict about the mail
> protocol, and rejects
> anything that is even slightly divergent from the spec. Can
> you please check
> your log if a mail to brightbyte.de got bounced?
>
> -- daniel
>
> PS: doing this via the list because others may have similar
> problems

Re: WikiScience announce

Felipe Ortega

> On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 12:05 PM, Daniel Kinzler
> <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
> > Michael Reschke schrieb:
> > > a virtual space promoting interaction and
> interdisciplinary research
> > > among wiki researchers around the world
> > >
> > > http://en.wikiversity.org
> > >
> > > so what?
> >
> > Uh... from the front page: "Wikiversity is a
> Wikimedia Foundation project
> > devoted to learning resources and learning projects
> for all levels, types,
> > and
> > styles of education from pre-school to university,
> including professional
> > training and informal learning."
> >
> > That is something complety different. The focus is on
> learning/teaching,
> > not on
> > research. And it's for learning about anything,
> not focused on researching
> > wikis. Cooperation with Wikiversity is of course a
> good idea, but it's be
> > no
> > means redundant.
>

> To clarify: it's incorrect that Wikiversity is not
> focused on research;
> research is one of the core focuses of Wikiversity,
> complementing learning
> resources and learning activities. Just like other learning
> 'institutions',
> research is seen as an educational activity, and as a
> driver of further
> knowledge and resources. It's always been a core focus
> to get researchers
> (including, but not limited to, on wikis) together on
> Wikiversity - to share
> and discuss each other's work, and to collaborate on
> further work. However,
> I admit this isn't so clear from the main page, so
> I'll edit that now. :-)
>
> Conversely, I'd also like a bit more clarity on what
> WikiScience aims to do,
> and how it aims to do it. For example, it seems that there
> is an explicit
> aim to integrate other tools alongside a wiki in this work
> - is that right?

Yes, the objective is to have an initial demo for December (hopefully, if travels and other work stuff let me dedicate enough time). The demo will include a CMS, integrating the wiki, as well as other tools for annotated Bibliography, a descriptive repository with information about wiki research tools (links, descriptions, manuals, examples, screenshots, etc), a directory of researchers (initially simple, but it will potentially evolve to a "mini-facebook" of researchers in due course), as well as research news, and sindication of blogs and external resources.

> It would be good, in general, to expand on its scope and
> vision - as well as
> an indication of the activity/people/organisation behind it
> so far. That
> might help set a foundation for further development and
> collaboration. ;-)

I'm right now in Germany, with not very good connectivity, so I'll try to expand the main page and sections to provide more information.

The initiative was launched at the first WIRW, co-located with the last WikiSym 08 at Porto, last September (I think I linked the description on the WikiScience front page). Currently, we at GSyC/Libresoft (http://libresoft.es) are leading the technical development, and we set up a virtual machine for the demo, and this wiki.

We are open to collaborate with any other interested research group/organization/foundation. The aim will be, after having a working demo on December (as a "proof of concept" of the usability and feasibility of our idea) to search interested organization/research programs to get fundings for a more formal initiative.

As Daniel said, I would really like to promote cooperation with other initiatives like Wikiversity. Our goal is not at all to *substitute* any other web place, but to *help* to index and find a lot of useful information about wiki tools, wiki researchers and wiki research working lines and methodologies, publications, etc. which is currently dispersed throughout a broader set of pages/sites.

Bests,

Felipe.

> Cheers,
> Cormac

Re: WikiScience announce

Felipe Ortega
I've just created a dummy user and confirmed it (Yahoo! account) without problems ¿???

Maybe your provider is somehow greylisting mails from our domain?

We're checking exim4 config to see if there is a bug or not. All the same, MySQL says you're the only one user without confirmed e-mail, so I lean to think it's not a problem on our side :).

Bests,

F.

> I created an account, but i'm unable to confirm my
> email address. I'm not
> getting any mail.
>
> Now, I know that my hoster is VERY strict about the mail
> protocol, and rejects
> anything that is even slightly divergent from the spec. Can
> you please check
> your log if a mail to brightbyte.de got bounced?
>
> -- daniel
>
> PS: doing this via the list because others may have similar
> problems

Re: WikiScience announce

Daniel Kinzler

> I'm right now in Germany, with not very good connectivity, so I'll try to
> expand the main page and sections to provide more information.

If you happen to be in Berlin, come to the C-Base tonight, there's a Wikipedia
party going on :)

- daniel

Re: WikiScience announce

Cormac Lawler
On 10/2/08, Felipe Ortega <[hidden email]> wrote:

Yes, the objective is to have an initial demo for December (hopefully, if travels and other work stuff let me dedicate enough time). The demo will include a CMS, integrating the wiki, as well as other tools for annotated Bibliography, a descriptive repository with information about wiki research tools (links, descriptions, manuals, examples, screenshots, etc), a directory of researchers (initially simple, but it will potentially evolve to a "mini-facebook" of researchers in due course), as well as research news, and sindication of blogs and external resources.

Thanks for clarifying, Felipe - sounds good. :-)

We are open to collaborate with any other interested research group/organization/foundation. The aim will be, after having a working demo on December (as a "proof of concept" of the usability and feasibility of our idea) to search interested organization/research programs to get fundings for a more formal initiative.

As Daniel said, I would really like to promote cooperation with other initiatives like Wikiversity. Our goal is not at all to *substitute* any other web place, but to *help* to index and find a lot of useful information about wiki tools, wiki researchers and wiki research working lines and methodologies, publications, etc. which is currently dispersed throughout a broader set of pages/sites.

That's great - I've signed up now, and posted an announcement to the English Wikiversity's Colloquium ('Village Pump' equivalent).

Cormac