WikiTrust v2 released: reputation and trust for your wiki in real-time!

WikiTrust v2 released: reputation and trust for your wiki in real-time!

Luca de Alfaro-3
As some of you might remember, we have been working on author
reputation and text trust systems for wikis; some of you may have seen
our demo at WikiMania 2007, or the on-line demo
http://wiki-trust.cse.ucsc.edu/

Since then, we have been busy at work to build a system that can be
deployed on any wiki, and display the text trust information.
And we finally made it!

We are pleased to announce the release of WikiTrust version 2!

With it, you can compute author reputation and text trust of your
wikis in real-time, as edits to the wiki are made, and you can display
text trust via a new "trust" tab.
The tool can be installed as a MediaWiki extension, and is released
open-source, under the BSD license; the project page is
http://trust.cse.ucsc.edu/WikiTrust

WikiTrust can be deployed both on new, and on existing, wikis.
WikiTrust stores author reputation and text trust in additional
database tables.  If deployed on an existing wiki, WikiTrust first
computes the reputation and trust information for the current wiki
content, and then processes new edits as they are made.  The
computation is scalable, parallel, and fault-tolerant, in the sense
that WikiTrust adaptively fills in missing trust or reputation
information.

On my MacBook, running under Ubuntu in vmware, WikiTrust can analize
some 10-20 revisions / second of a wiki; so with a little patience,
unless your wiki is truly huge, you can just deploy it and wait a
bit.
Go to http://trust.cse.ucsc.edu/WikiTrust for more information and for
the code!

Feedback, comments, etc are much appreciated!

Luca de Alfaro
(with Ian Pye and Bo Adler)

Re: WikiTrust v2 released: reputation and trust for your wiki in real-time!

Liam Wyatt
Luca,
this is very good news, Congratulations!
Are you in touch with the developers of media-wiki and do they know about your release? Have you any work about this being put in trial for possible deployment on wikimedia foundation projects?

Finally, I remember at your presentation in taipei you spoke about something along the lines of a "test instance". That is, the idea that every time an article is read it undergoes a test for accuracy by the reader. The more readers that don't change the text, the more "test instances" the text has passed, the more trusted that text is - This is the principle of your system correct? Well, could you tell me please what is the correct terminology for what I am calling a "test instance" and where are the (if any) academic papers/references to this concept?

I am including this trust colouring and this concept in my own thesis and can't for the life of me remember the correct terminology or find the proper reference.

All the best,
-Liam Wyatt

wikipediaweekly.org
Skype - Wittylama
Wikipedia - [[User:Witty lama]]

On 24/08/2008, at 11:53 AM, Luca de Alfaro wrote:

We are pleased to announce the release of WikiTrust version 2!

[snip]