WikiVoices - 2000 UTC this evening

brian.mcneil-2
This is a reminder about this evening's Wikivoices.

Mike Peel of WMUK is a participant and from following him on twitter has
only recently submitted his PhD thesis.

This looks like today's biggest physics story[1]. I'm sending the link
to Mike as he'd possibly be persuadable to write an article on this and
can give it more from a physicists' perspective.

One point I do want to touch on related to that is the wiki community
having people like Mike. Most likely everyone remembers the mess that
was the "Balloon Boy" story/hoax. If I recall correctly it was 3-4 days
after this was top news non-stop that someone bothered to find out from
a physicist that, in all probability, the balloon was incapable of
carrying the child's weight. *That* would have been a very nice bot of
OR to include early-on and avoid getting sucked into a media
circus/publicity stunt.

I'm still looking for Wackynews. If anyone has seen some truly silly
stories (with two or more independent sources) let me know ASAP.

[1]
http://news.google.ca/news/story?pz=1&cf=all&ned=ca&hl=en&ncl=di5wulnPbEPvGqMsKPrM5dywJ0M_M&scoring=n

--
Brian McNeil <[hidden email]>
Wikinewsie.org

Re: WikiVoices - 2000 UTC this evening

brian.mcneil-2
On Wed, 2009-12-23 at 08:49 -0700, [hidden email] wrote:
> How about some silly nakedness?
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/8427624.stm
>
> http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/world/nudity-forgiven-but-cyclists-feel-heat-over-helmets/story-e6frg6so-1225813287731
>
> http://news.google.co.uk/news/more?um=1&cf=all&ned=uk&cf=all&ncl=dOb1NyyaWKft7mMTJ6fJXqZhCItgM
>
> Not great, but it might do for Jimbo.

From the looks of things there, most reports are duplicates or rewrites
of the AP (sometimes labelled AAP) original story. However, it's
probably significantly less-complex than what my poor searches turned
up[1], the various reviews of Streep's latest movie. There you need to
find a range of reviews and avoid recommending it or bombing it.

[1]
http://news.google.ca/news/more?pz=1&cf=all&as_qdr=d&as_drrb=q&cf=all&ncl=duPxtnDJNzSUqiMjlPHP0o56wDo1M

--
Brian McNeil <[hidden email]>