We from the Centre for Internet and Society (CIS-A2K) thank you all for your support and collaboration and wish you a great year ahead. We bring you the details of our work for the month of February 2014:
Tewiki 10th Anniversary
Tewiki 10th anniversary celebration 2014, started on February 15 in Vijayawada at Kakaraparti Bhavanarayana College. It was co-organized by the Centre for Internet and Society's Access to Knowledge (CIS-A2K) team and the Telugu Wikipedia community. Telugu Wikipedia has now completed 10 years of existence and there are about 55,000 Telugu articles available online: <http://bit.ly/1iI2Pxs> http://bit.ly/1iI2Pxs
1. Odia Language's Presence in Digital Media and Wikipedia's Role (by Subhashish Panigrahi, The Samaja, March 2, 2014): <http://bit.ly/1ieF3sC> http://bit.ly/1ieF3sC.
2. Indian Wikimedia community coordinates Women’s History Month (by Netha Hussain and Jeph Paul, Wikimedia Foundation, March 6, 2014): <http://bit.ly/1cyRfqf> http://bit.ly/1cyRfqf.
Ø Event Organised
1. Wiki Women's Workshop (ICG – Dona Paula, Goa, March 9, 2014): <http://bit.ly/MRRJLy> http://bit.ly/MRRJLy. The event is being organized as part of the commemoration of the International Women's Day.
Ø Events Co-organised
1. Cinemathon2014 Bangalore (organized by Pad.ma and CIS-A2K, CIS, Bangalore, February 8-9, 2014): <http://bit.ly/MRRkZz> http://bit.ly/MRRkZz.
2. Cinemathon2014 Mumbai (organized by Pad.ma and CIS-A2K, CAMP Studio, Mumbai, February 15-16, 2014): <http://bit.ly/P5YGL8> http://bit.ly/P5YGL8.
3. Wikipedia Mangalore Workshop (organized by Roshini Nilaya and CIS-A2K, Mangalore, February 26, 2014). Dr. U.B.Pavanaja gave a presentation on Wikipedia with a special focus on students and women.
Ø Participation in Event
1. The Dynamics of Education to Employment Journey: Opportunities and Challenges (organized by KIIT School of Management, KIIT University, Bhubaneswar, February 21-22, 2014). T. Vishnu Vardhan gave a talk: <http://bit.ly/1ePwqHc> http://bit.ly/1ePwqHc.
Ø Media Coverage
CIS gave its inputs for the following media coverage:
1. Father-son duo promote Punjabi online (by Jatinder Preet, Sunday Guardian, February 1, 2014): <http://bit.ly/1l87b2h> http://bit.ly/1l87b2h.
2. ୧୦ ବର୍ଷରେ ଓଡ଼ିଆ ୱିକିପିଡିଆ (Rabibara Sambad (Sunday supplement of Odia newspaper The Sambad), February 9, 2014): <http://bit.ly/1igMynn> http://bit.ly/1igMynn. This is a feature about Odia Wikipedia's 10th anniversary and the story of a dead volunteer community reviving after 8 years.
3. Wikipedia Mangalore Workshop (Prajavani, February 27, 2014): <http://bit.ly/1gVMG6f> http://bit.ly/1gVMG6f.
Wikimedia Foundation has funded A2K to anchor the growth of Wikimedia movement in India. The A2K team consists of six members, four based in Bangalore: T. Vishnu Vardhan, Dr. U.B. Pavanaja, Subhashish Panigrahi and Rahmanuddin Shaikh. One team member Nitika Tandon is based in Delhi. We also have one Advisor Dr. Tejaswini Niranjana working with us. Archives of our newsletters can be accessed here ( <http://cis-india.org/about/newsletters> http://cis-india.org/about/newsletters). Wikipedians from various communities can request for outreach programs, technical bugs, logistics-merchandize and media, public relations and communications at <http://bit.ly/TOcXId> <http://bit.ly/TOcXId> http://bit.ly/TOcXId.
The Centre for Internet and Society is a non-profit research organization that works on policy issues relating to freedom of expression, privacy, accessibility for persons with disabilities, access to knowledge and IPR reform, and openness (including open government, FOSS, open standards, etc.), and engages in academic research on digital natives and digital humanities.
Follow us elsewhere
· Twitter: <https://twitter.com/CISA2K> <https://twitter.com/CISA2K> https://twitter.com/CISA2K
· CIS group on Facebook: <https://www.facebook.com/groups/cis.india> <https://www.facebook.com/groups/cis.india> https://www.facebook.com/groups/cis.india
· Visit us at: <https://cis-india.org/> <https://cis-india.org/> https://cis-india.org
Please help us defend consumer / citizen rights on the Internet! Write a cheque in favour of ‘The Centre for Internet and Society’ and mail it to us at No. 194, 2nd ‘C’ Cross, Domlur, 2nd Stage, Bengaluru – 5600 71.
Request for Collaboration:
We invite researchers, practitioners, and theoreticians, both organisationally and as individuals, to collaboratively engage with Internet and society and improve our understanding of this new field. To discuss the research collaborations, write to Sunil Abraham, Executive Director, at [hidden email] or Nishant Shah, Director – Research, at [hidden email]. To discuss collaborations on Indic language wikipedia, write to T. Vishnu Vardhan, Programme Director, A2K, at <mailto:[hidden email]> [hidden email]
CIS is grateful to its donors, Wikimedia Foundation, Ford Foundation, Privacy International, UK, Hans Foundation and the Kusuma Trust which was founded by Anurag Dikshit and Soma Pujari, philanthropists of Indian origin, for its core funding and support for most of its projects.
Thanks and regards,
U.B. Pavanaja, MSc, PhD
Programme Officer – Indian languages <http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Pavanaja> ,
Access to Knowledge program
The Centre for Internet & Society
Wikihi-l mailing list
|Free forum by Nabble||Edit this page|