Wikimania 2007 Hacking Days call-for-help

Wikimania 2007 Hacking Days call-for-help

Tian-Jian "Barabbas" Jiang@Gmail
Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,

    Good day. I am Mike Tian-Jian Jiang ( http://www.linkedin.com/in/barabbas ), a team member of wikimania 2007.
I'm trying to arrange Hacking Days currently, here's some rough plan that needs your precious suggestions.

    We would like to invite experts like you to provide speech and to encourage hackers involving MediaWiki/Wikimedia
development.

    Please let me know if you have any advise to these outlines. For academic professionals, we will also hold a
Conference for oral and poster paper presentations.

    Also please forward this mail to whom may be interested in.

    Thank you very much!

    Sincerely,
Mike

Hacking Days Agenda plan:
  • MediaWiki API Introduction:as web 2.0 trend...
  • MediaWiki API application contest:a contest likes Google and Yahoo!'s, tries to attract hackers.
    • Wikipedia Gadget
    • Wikipedia Yahoo! Widget
  • MediaWiki enhancement
    • Wikiwyg
      • Ingy's AJAX version
      • Flash version
    • Collaboration editing/versioning
    • Site searching (Is there any plan to make Lucene available for other languages besides English?)
    • Improving Simplified-Traditional Chinese conversion
    • Audio/Video processing/streaming
    • Community: from "Talk" page to forum/bbs with more a flexible reputation system.
    • Spam/Captcha
  • MediaWiki system administration
  • Wikipedia content applications
    • (Crosslingual) search: especially for translation/transliteration of named entities from Wikimedia contents.
    • (Crosslingual) question-answering: CLEF 2006 already has a pilot task WiQA.

Re: [Wikitech-l] Wikimania 2007 Hacking Days call-for-help

Tian-Jian "Barabbas" Jiang@Gmail
Dear Mr. Starling,

    I am very sorry about that, seems my information was out-of-dated. It is pretty good to know that Wikipedia sites applied Lucene, then it will be more feasible to further applications of cross-lingual information retrieval.

    Best Regards,
Mike

2006/10/31, Tim Starling <[hidden email]>:
Tian-Jian "Barabbas" Jiang@Gmail wrote:
>           o Site searching (Is there any plan to make Lucene available
>             for other languages besides English?)

It already is.

-- Tim Starling

GUS and journal questions

Piotr Konieczny-2
Dear all

First, I'd like to enquire if there is any progress with the General
User Survey? Are there tasks for non-programmers to do? I think that we
can always benefit from discussion about the questions itself.

Second, I'd appreciate any suggestions as to where one may publish an
article about using wikis and Wikipedia as a teaching tool.

--
Best regards,

Piotr Konieczny

Re: GUS and journal questions

Cormac Lawler
On 11/2/06, Piotr Konieczny <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear all
>
> First, I'd like to enquire if there is any progress with the General
> User Survey? Are there tasks for non-programmers to do? I think that we
> can always benefit from discussion about the questions itself.
>
> Second, I'd appreciate any suggestions as to where one may publish an
> article about using wikis and Wikipedia as a teaching tool.
>
> --
> Best regards,
>
> Piotr Konieczny

Thanks Piotr (and hello again :-))

Regarding the General User Survey, I'm not sure of what the status of
technical considerations is. But as to questions themselves, anyone
interested should go to
<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/General_User_Survey/Questionnaire> and
see if what you are interested in is covered, or whether the questions
there are phrased adequately. I think the _major_ other non-technical
detail which needs to be worked out is the issue of sampling - how are
we to ensure that this survey really does represent the "state of the
wiki" (as was the motivation to do so)? How are we to ensure that we
target newbies as well as seasoned wiki-editors? Or is this a survey
for relatively experienced Wikimedians? Or is it simply a
self-selected sample, where we take what we're "given"?

Regarding the essay on using Wikipedia in schools, I would be very
happy to see it on Wikiversity - though, since we haven't yet decided
on clear guidelines for what kind of research facilities Wikiversity
provides for (nor, obviously, have they been approved), I can't give
you a definitive answer on this. Where to put research has always been
an ambiguous question - I hope Wikiversity will address it to a decent
extent - and you're all more than welcome to help develop guidelines
or add comments at http://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Wikiversity:Research
and related pages.

Cheers,
Cormac

Re: Wikimania 2007 Hacking Days call-for-help

Florence Devouard-3
Hello Mike,

Apologies, but it was unclear to me whether there is a wiki page set up
for the 2007 hacking days.
If there is no such page, can you set up one so that it is easier to
follow plans and discuss programmes ?

One feedback I had from hacking days 2006 was that it was necessary to
have more cool time in small groups, and less "academic-type"
presentations in front of 20 people. In short, they need not only a room
with some presentations going on, but also a nice and cosy place to sit,
with drinks etc...

Ant

Tian-Jian "Barabbas" Jiang@Gmail wrote:

> Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,
>
>     Good day. I am Mike Tian-Jian Jiang (
> http://www.linkedin.com/in/barabbas ), a team member of wikimania 2007.
> I'm trying to arrange Hacking Days currently, here's some rough plan
> that needs your precious suggestions.
>
>     We would like to invite experts like you to provide speech and to
> encourage hackers involving MediaWiki/Wikimedia
> development.
>
>     Please let me know if you have any advise to these outlines. For
> academic professionals, we will also hold a
> Conference for oral and poster paper presentations.
>
>     Also please forward this mail to whom may be interested in.
>
>     Thank you very much!
>
>     Sincerely,
> Mike
>
> Hacking Days Agenda plan:
>
>     * Wikimania 2006:
>           o http://wikimania2006.wikimedia.org/wiki/Hacking_Days
>             (Schedule MindMap is missing......)
>           o http://wikimania2006.wikimedia.org/wiki/Hacking_Days_Extras
>     * Wikimania 2005
>           o http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2005_hacking_days or
>           o http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2005:Hacking_Days
>
>     * MediaWiki API Introduction:as web 2.0 trend...
>           o Query API
>           o http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/API
>           o Python Bot Framework
>     * MediaWiki API application contest:a contest likes Google and
>       Yahoo!'s, tries to attract hackers.
>           o Wikipedia Gadget
>           o Wikipedia Yahoo! Widget
>     * MediaWiki enhancement
>           o Wikiwyg
>                 + Ingy's AJAX version
>                 + Flash version
>           o Collaboration editing/versioning
>           o Site searching (Is there any plan to make Lucene available
>             for other languages besides English?)
>           o Improving Simplified-Traditional Chinese conversion
>           o Audio/Video processing/streaming
>           o Community: from "Talk" page to forum/bbs with more a
>             flexible reputation system.
>           o Spam/Captcha
>     * MediaWiki system administration
>           o Large scale data processing; please refers to
>                 + http://radar.oreilly.com/tag/database
>                   <http://docs.google.com/%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20http://blog.ijliao.info/archives/2006/05/07/2267/>
>
>                 + http://labs.google.com/papers/bigtable.html
>                   <http://docs.google.com/%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20http://labs.google.com/papers/bigtable.html>
>
>           o Load balancing
>           o "The great wall" problem
>     * Wikipedia content applications
>           o (Crosslingual) search: especially for
>             translation/transliteration of named entities from Wikimedia
>             contents.
>           o (Crosslingual) question-answering: CLEF 2006 already has a
>             pilot task WiQA.

Re: Wikimania 2007 Hacking Days call-for-help

Tian-Jian "Barabbas" Jiang@Gmail
Dear Anthere,

Anthere wrote:
> Hello Mike,
>
> Apologies, but it was unclear to me whether there is a wiki page set up
> for the 2007 hacking days.
> If there is no such page, can you set up one so that it is easier to
> follow plans and discuss programmes ?

My bad, I totally forgot to provide the link.

The public wiki page is here to welcome everyone advises:
http://wikimania2007.wikimedia.org/wiki/Hacking_Days
> One feedback I had from hacking days 2006 was that it was necessary to
> have more cool time in small groups, and less "academic-type"
> presentations in front of 20 people. In short, they need not only a room
> with some presentations going on, but also a nice and cosy place to sit,
> with drinks etc...

I can not agree with you anymore!
With my experiences, I would like to suggest having a Hack-athon or even
a contest.
Based on WWDC, Google Contest and Yahoo! Hack Days successful stories,
those kind of approaches may be promising.

Sincerely,
Mike

Re: Wikimania 2007 Hacking Days call-for-help

Brion Vibber
Anthere wrote:

> Hello Mike,
>
> Apologies, but it was unclear to me whether there is a wiki page set up
> for the 2007 hacking days.
> If there is no such page, can you set up one so that it is easier to
> follow plans and discuss programmes ?
>
> One feedback I had from hacking days 2006 was that it was necessary to
> have more cool time in small groups, and less "academic-type"
> presentations in front of 20 people. In short, they need not only a room
> with some presentations going on, but also a nice and cosy place to sit,
> with drinks etc...

Indeed there was a strong feeling that the hacking days were
overproduced last year, with too many outsiders, too heavy scheduling,
too many talks.

The hacking days are meant to be informal and, hopefully, productive. :)
Some really nice points did get made in the middle of it, but I and
others found the overall experience rather frustrating. In contrast, in
2005 we really weren't organized enough, and while there was good
socializing which helped build team spirit we didn't come out with much
directly productive.

My recommendation: don't invite too many people, don't have lots of
talks. Talks would be more appropriate for a tech track during Wikimania
proper.

A few small workshop-type sessions to let people strategize, socialize,
roadmap, experiment, and accept tasks to work on for the coming months
would be a lot nicer, and would better justify having a distinct
"hacking days" period before/after the main conference.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

Re: Wikimania 2007 Hacking Days call-for-help

Tian-Jian "Barabbas" Jiang@Gmail
Dear Mr. Brion et al,

    Actually we would like to attract hackers to accomplish some real
stuffs in hacking days.
I has personally attended to YAPC::Taipei and felt really good to join
some developments directly.
Somehow we are worrying about the amount of developers of Wikimedia side
projects,
such as creating applications of the new Wikipedia API, that's why we
suggest to have a contest.
And yes, the cooking, oh, I meant hacking group should be not too large.
There are a lot of cafe in
Taipei with wireless (and bears) and keep opening to 4 AM, I think this
kind of places is good for
night(jet-lag?) hackings. :)

    Best Regards,
Mike