Wikimania 2007 - get ready for the third edition.

Wikimania 2007 - get ready for the third edition.

Delphine Ménard
Dear all,

Wikimania 2006 just closed its doors a week or so ago, and it is
already time to think about the next edition.

As happened in 2005 and 2006, the city hosting Wikimania in 2007 will
be chosen among whichever candidate cities dare/deign/want to
participate in the "hosting Wikimania" contest.

All information concerning how to launch a bid for your city/location
can be found on meta:

*http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2007
*http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2007/Bids
*http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2007/Official_requirements_for_bidding_cities

Please follow the instructions on that last page to build your bid.
The Wikimania 2007 organizing team stays at your disposal for any
questions you might have concerning the bidding process and/or the
bidding requirements.

Happy bidding!

Delphine

PS. I have removed all red links to non-existing unoffical bids.
Please only add a link when there is some kind of content to the bid
and make sure the bid is classified with the name of the city, not the
country.
PPS. Dear translators, thank you for translating this message and
sending it to your respective home lists.
--
~notafish

Re: Wikimania 2007 - get ready for the third edition.

Kelly Martin-3
On 8/16/06, Delphine Ménard <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Wikimania 2006 just closed its doors a week or so ago, and it is
> already time to think about the next edition.

Actually, it was time to do that about six months ago.  We really need
to be planning these things more aggressively.  In my opinion, we
should know where the next year's Wikimania is going to be before we
start the planning for the current year.

I used to work for a non-profit that held an annual meeting in various
random places around the world.  They planned their annual meetings
three years ahead, so that at the start of the 2004 annual meeting
(which was held in Honolulu) they knew that the 2005 annual meeting
would be held in Charlotte at a specified convention facility, and
that the 2006 would be held in a specific city but not any specified
facility, and were down to two or three candidates for 2007.  Now,
their annual meetings are somewhat larger than ours (a typical year
would draw 4000 to 5000 attendees), but our current planning
timetables are far too compressed as it is and will only get worse as
interest continues to rise.  We should be planning at least two years
out.

I strongly urge that we should begin discussing venues for 2008 not
later than October of this year (by which point we should have 2007's
host city decided), and 2009's host city not later than February of
next year.  Going forward, the host city for year n+2 should be
decided not later than May of year n, and the venue decided not later
than May of year n+1.

Kelly

Kelly

Re: Wikimania 2007 - get ready for the third edition.

jmerkey-3
Kelly Martin wrote:

>On 8/16/06, Delphine Ménard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>>Wikimania 2006 just closed its doors a week or so ago, and it is
>>already time to think about the next edition.
>>

>Actually, it was time to do that about six months ago.  We really need
>to be planning these things more aggressively.  In my opinion, we
>should know where the next year's Wikimania is going to be before we
>start the planning for the current year.

Good Point,

Greg mentioned this this morning as well this was a hot topic of
discussion that needed addressing.

A few suggestions I'll put on the main site:

Polynesian Language Institute, Hawaii
Sidney, Australia. (great place but very expensive for a lot of folks)
Vancouver, BC (vansterdam)
Salt Lake City, Utah (UofU)
Mexico City
Cayman Islands
Dussledorf, FRG

Re: Wikimania 2007 - get ready for the third edition.

Sue Reed
There is something strange and geeky about me mentioning the World Science Fiction convention on a wikimedia email list, but it fits the situation. They have a really great system of organizing and planning future conferences several years in advance. The convention is coming up for this summer in Los Angeles, the 2007 convention location was chosen by popular vote last year, and the 2008 convention location will be chosen at this year's convention.

One of the greatest benefits of pre-planning conventions this way is the pre-registration that happens. A) It gives you money to start working with right away. B) It allows you to realistically and sensibly negotiate with hotels and other vendors regarding number of people that will be attending, etc.

Sue [hidden email]

Re: Wikimania 2007 - get ready for the third edition.

Damian Finol-2
Jeff V. Merkey wrote:

> Kelly Martin wrote:
>
>> On 8/16/06, Delphine Ménard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>> Wikimania 2006 just closed its doors a week or so ago, and it is
>>> already time to think about the next edition.
>>>

>> Actually, it was time to do that about six months ago.  We really need
>> to be planning these things more aggressively.  In my opinion, we
>> should know where the next year's Wikimania is going to be before we
>> start the planning for the current year.
>>

> Good Point,
>
> Greg mentioned this this morning as well this was a hot topic of
> discussion that needed addressing.
>
> A few suggestions I'll put on the main site:
>
> Polynesian Language Institute, Hawaii
> Sidney, Australia. (great place but very expensive for a lot of folks)
> Vancouver, BC (vansterdam)
> Salt Lake City, Utah (UofU)
> Mexico City
> Cayman Islands
> Dussledorf, FRG

Greetings,

I love those cities a couple of comments though:

USA: Doing it in the USA is great, however there is a VISA issue when it
comes to people not from the WAIVER Program (Mostly non-europeans). This
year Berkman and Harvard where really good and provided an invitation
letter that helped many people get their Visa (Although in most of Latin
America appointments for Visa interviews are given within 5-6 month of
calling)

The one I like the most of all those cities, Is Mexico City, although I
think some place like Cancun would be better (Mexico City is a great
city and all but it's really, really overcrowded and maybe a bit
unsafe). Cancun has a lot of hotels and there are a lot of Flights
coming and going, plus it's in a central location for people in the
Americas and Europe (Most people from Europe will connect in Miami or
DFW). Not to mention, Cancun is Mexico's tourist city so many hotels and
locals can speak English.

I would love to say Rio De Janeiro In Brasil, but Americans will need a
visa to enter Brasil.

Either way, I think just like the World Cup and the Olympics, Wikimania
should jump continents, Last year it was Europe, this year was North
America, next year should be either Asia or Latin America.

Damian A. Finol
X Semestre Ingenieria en Informatica
Universidad Rafael Belloso Chacin
http://www.igluve.org
Linux Counter # 199883
Maracaibo, Venezuela

Re: Wikimania 2007 - get ready for the third edition.

Jimmy Wales
Kelly Martin wrote:
> I strongly urge that we should begin discussing venues for 2008 not
> later than October of this year (by which point we should have 2007's
> host city decided), and 2009's host city not later than February of
> next year.  Going forward, the host city for year n+2 should be
> decided not later than May of year n, and the venue decided not later
> than May of year n+1.

I agree, and I was talking with some UK people who felt the same way...
it is hard to get a good venue in some cases because they are reserved a
full year in advance.

Perhaps in the deliberations about next year's wikimania, we should
ponder 2007 and 2008 simultaneously, since the choices are not fully
independent, given our desire for ongoing geographical diversity.

--Jimbo

Re: Wikimania 2007 - get ready for the third edition.

Paweł Dembowski
Sue Reed wrote:

> There is something strange and geeky about me mentioning the
> World Science Fiction convention on a wikimedia email list, but it
> fits the situation.
> Sue [hidden email]

It's not as if beeing a Wikimedian is less geeky than being a science
fictiona fan. :)

Ausir (both)

Re: Wikimania 2007 - get ready for the third edition.

metasj

Hello Sue,

On Wed, 16 Aug 2006, Sue Reed wrote:

> There is something strange and geeky about me mentioning the World
> Science Fiction convention on a wikimedia email list, but it fits the
> situation. They have a really great system of organizing and planning
> future conferences several years in advance. The convention is coming up
> for this summer in Los Angeles, the 2007 convention location was chosen
> by popular vote last year, and the 2008 convention location will be
> chosen at this year's convention.

Perhaps not so strange after all -- Worldcons have a great and
longstanding model; the best of the ones we looked at last year when
putting together the Boston bid*.

> One of the greatest benefits of pre-planning conventions this way is the
> pre-registration that happens. A) It gives you money to start working
> with right away. B) It allows you to realistically and sensibly
> negotiate with hotels and other vendors regarding number of people that
> will be attending, etc.

Yes, a great aspect to that system.  It also allows community members to
dicsuss the various bid options at interim, more regional events; recruit
potential staff; &c.

Anyone considering hosting Wikimania should read about the Worldcon
system, and there's a lot of material online:

http://worldcon.org/bids/

"Two years out" seems to be a good amount of advance notice for starting
a serious bid.  (More is needed for really enormous events that rent
out entire convention centers).

A good and readable description of what it might be like to go from musing
about a city bid to rounding up support and distributing promotional
material.  I particularly like the 14-hr turnaround from "we need
t-shirts" to selling the first dozen :

http://www.australia2010.org/timeline.html

Cheers,
   SJ

* And the WSFS is pretty close to Wikipedia in spirit if not in membership
-- for instance, they put together a Long List Committee to produce the
Long List of Worldcons, which comes with its own talkpage ("Notes on the
Long List of Worldcons").
http://www.nesfa.org/data/LL/index.html

Re: Wikimania 2007 - get ready for the third edition.

SJ-5
Damian Finol writes:
> unsafe). Cancun has a lot of hotels and there are a lot of Flights
> coming and going, plus it's in a central location for people in the
> Americas and Europe (Most people from Europe will connect in Miami or

Cancun would be interesting.  How many Wikipedians are from around
there?  (nudges Jair to check it out)

Rio : visas could be easier for Americans than the other way around.
Brasil was the most difficult country to work with this year re:
visas.

> Either way, I think just like the World Cup and the Olympics, Wikimania
> should jump continents, Last year it was Europe, this year was North
> America, next year should be either Asia or Latin America.

Absolutely.  Wikimania should make an effort to showcase the
geographic and linguistic diversity of the projects, even/especially
where the diversity of the most-active Wikimedians lags behind -- this
is a chicken and egg problem.

On 8/16/06, Jimmy Wales <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Kelly Martin wrote:
> > I strongly urge that we should begin discussing venues for 2008 not
> > later than October of this year (by which point we should have 2007's
> > host city decided), and 2009's host city not later than February of
> > next year.  Going forward, the host city for year n+2 should be
> > decided not later than May of year n, and the venue decided not later
> > than May of year n+1.

We could also take advantage of Wikimania as a center for discussion,
and have the bulk of a distributed planning meeting at Wikimania each
year about the coming three years -- encouraging new bids for year
n+3, deciding the host city for year n+2 [currently we're a year
behind that schedule] and discussing the venue for year n+1 [which
should already be reserved].

Jimmy Wales writes:
> I agree, and I was talking with some UK people who felt the same way...
> it is hard to get a good venue in some cases because they are reserved
> a full year in advance.
>
> Perhaps in the deliberations about next year's wikimania, we should
> ponder 2007 and 2008 simultaneously, since the choices are not fully
> independent, given our desire for ongoing geographical diversity.

Good speakers are also sometimes reserved a year in advance, and other
conferences want to know how to avoid conflicting with Wikimania's
dates.

Considering two years at once : it's true the choices are not
independent.  Hopefully we can set a schedule for decisions about 2008
and 2009 so that we shift smoothly to a less hectic calendar.

SJ

ps - http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2008/Bids

SJ wrote:

>Damian Finol writes:
>

>>unsafe). Cancun has a lot of hotels and there are a lot of Flights
>>coming and going, plus it's in a central location for people in the
>>Americas and Europe (Most people from Europe will connect in Miami or
>>

>Cancun would be interesting.  How many Wikipedians are from around
>there?  (nudges Jair to check it out)

Flights to cancun are relatively inexpensive and hotels are very
reasonable as compared to Australia. The ruins there
from the Meso-American Culture are truly awe-inspiring. There's also
diving and crystal clear water and a lot of
beachfront (probably boring to folks from Florida).

Just make sure to provide lots of bottled water to avoid microsflora
issues from drinking from the local
water supplies. Other beverages I am certain will also be heavily relied
upon to by many of the attendees -- limes
included... :-)

Jeff

Re: Wikimania 2007 - get ready for the third edition.

James Hare
You can also get ill from inhaling the steam of the shower water.

On 8/16/06, Jeff V. Merkey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> SJ wrote:
>
> >Damian Finol writes:
> >

> >>unsafe). Cancun has a lot of hotels and there are a lot of Flights
> >>coming and going, plus it's in a central location for people in the
> >>Americas and Europe (Most people from Europe will connect in Miami or
> >>

> >Cancun would be interesting.  How many Wikipedians are from around
> >there?  (nudges Jair to check it out)
> >

> Flights to cancun are relatively inexpensive and hotels are very
> reasonable as compared to Australia. The ruins there
> from the Meso-American Culture are truly awe-inspiring. There's also
> diving and crystal clear water and a lot of
> beachfront (probably boring to folks from Florida).
>
> Just make sure to provide lots of bottled water to avoid microsflora
> issues from drinking from the local
> water supplies. Other beverages I am certain will also be heavily relied
> upon to by many of the attendees -- limes
> included... :-)
>
> Jeff

Re: Wikimania 2007 - get ready for the third edition.

Florence Devouard-3
Damian Finol wrote:

> Jeff V. Merkey wrote:
>
>>Kelly Martin wrote:

>>>Actually, it was time to do that about six months ago.  We really need
>>>to be planning these things more aggressively.  In my opinion, we
>>>should know where the next year's Wikimania is going to be before we
>>>start the planning for the current year.
>>>

>>Good Point,
>>
>>Greg mentioned this this morning as well this was a hot topic of
>>discussion that needed addressing.
>>
>>A few suggestions I'll put on the main site:
>>
>>Polynesian Language Institute, Hawaii
>>Sidney, Australia. (great place but very expensive for a lot of folks)
>>Vancouver, BC (vansterdam)
>>Salt Lake City, Utah (UofU)
>>Mexico City
>>Cayman Islands
>>Dussledorf, FRG

> Greetings,
>
> I love those cities a couple of comments though:
>
> USA: Doing it in the USA is great, however there is a VISA issue when it
> comes to people not from the WAIVER Program (Mostly non-europeans). This
> year Berkman and Harvard where really good and provided an invitation
> letter that helped many people get their Visa (Although in most of Latin
> America appointments for Visa interviews are given within 5-6 month of
> calling)
>
> The one I like the most of all those cities, Is Mexico City, although I
> think some place like Cancun would be better (Mexico City is a great
> city and all but it's really, really overcrowded and maybe a bit
> unsafe). Cancun has a lot of hotels and there are a lot of Flights
> coming and going, plus it's in a central location for people in the
> Americas and Europe (Most people from Europe will connect in Miami or
> DFW). Not to mention, Cancun is Mexico's tourist city so many hotels and
> locals can speak English.
>
> I would love to say Rio De Janeiro In Brasil, but Americans will need a
> visa to enter Brasil.
>
> Either way, I think just like the World Cup and the Olympics, Wikimania
> should jump continents, Last year it was Europe, this year was North
> America, next year should be either Asia or Latin America.
>
> Regards,

Good point. Kelly is right as well that we should be planning ahead.

Ultimately, choices will depend a lot on the quality of the bid.
It will also help that the organisers of the first two wikimania are
involved in the choice of next city, as they are primary sources of
information to identify what was best in both locations.

Just after Wikimania, a discussion took place to identify the good sides
and the bad sides of Wikimania 2006. Obvious important points to
consider for the future are the visa issue, the cost of travel for most
participants, the easiness to reach the city (international airport) etc...
More specifically, whilst Boston was identified as a very pretty place
where it was real cool to hang out, it appears that the participants had
less opportunities (or did not identified these opportunities) to hang
out together than in Frankfurt. Amongst reasons, the fact the conference
took place in two different buildings, the dorms were in yet another
place, the "village pump" was not clearly labelled as such etc...
Good points were the common breakfast/lunch area, in that big room where
people could chat.

Next Wikimania should be particularly careful to choose locations where
people can stay together and have full opportunities to "bump" in other
editors every minute. By the way, we suggested a wall where pictures of
participants could be pasted as the conference proceeds (to facilitate
recognition between participants).

A big point in any cases will be to identify the "size" of the audience.
One does not have the same requirements and the same timeline for a
conference of 400 people or 1000 people, or even more. We will need to
see how we want that to evolve.

Last, as for the past two years, an important point in selecting the
city was to check whether there was a local team of very motivated
wikipedians on the spot, to help organising. It is not so obvious now
that this should be amongst a primary motive to select a city. It may be
that we choose to outsource more of the organisation (as opposed to
heavily rely on volunteers).

In any cases, the organisation is not an easy task, kudos to those who
did the job this year. But it all begins with bids :-)

ant

Re: Wikimania 2007 - get ready for the third edition.

Alphax (Wikipedia email)
Jeff V. Merkey wrote:

> Kelly Martin wrote:
>
>> On 8/16/06, Delphine Ménard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>> Wikimania 2006 just closed its doors a week or so ago, and it is
>>> already time to think about the next edition.
>>>

>> Actually, it was time to do that about six months ago.  We really need
>> to be planning these things more aggressively.  In my opinion, we
>> should know where the next year's Wikimania is going to be before we
>> start the planning for the current year.
>>

> Good Point,
>
> Greg mentioned this this morning as well this was a hot topic of
> discussion that needed addressing.
>
> A few suggestions I'll put on the main site:
>
> Polynesian Language Institute, Hawaii
> Sidney, Australia. (great place but very expensive for a lot of folks)
It's spelt "Sydney", and there's already a lot of discussion at
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wikimania_2007/Australia and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WP:AWNB#Wikimania wrt. this.

Re: Wikimania 2007 - get ready for the third edition.

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen
On 8/16/06, Sue Reed <[hidden email]> wrote:
> There is something strange and geeky about me mentioning the World Science
> Fiction convention on a wikimedia email list, but it fits the situation.
> They have a really great system of organizing and planning future
> conferences several years in advance. The convention is coming up for this
> summer in Los Angeles, the 2007 convention location was chosen by popular
> vote last year, and the 2008 convention location will be chosen at this
> year's convention.

What you neglect to mention is the wonderful way in which the Worldcon
rotation operates. For those not in the know; the Worldcon operates in
a four year cycle, roughly speaking, and though the actual voting is
only one year ahead, the submissions have to be verified much earlier,
and actual campaigning usually starts four years in advance.

We will never take the same rotation system as Worldcons, as they are
horribly US-centered, three years rotating between East Coast, West
Coast and the Middle of the United states, the fourth year all US
sites being free to compete against possible candidate sites outside
the US, but it is not a bad idea to think whether we need a formal
rotation structure to assure venues do not tend to cluster either in
Central Europe or North America, or whether we will trust things
working out naturally.

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen, AKA. Cimon Avaro

Candidate for Board of Trustees of the Wikimedia Foundation in the
September 2006 elections.

Re: Wikimania 2007 - get ready for the third edition.

KIZU Naoko
On 8/17/06, Anthere <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Good point. Kelly is right as well that we should be planning ahead.

/me nods. A int'l conference I know, which usually gather 1,000 people
or so, is scheduled 3 years before. And honestly I doubt we can say it
is steadily growing ... (who cares for aesthetics in this world? Heh,
but it is another problem). For your information, the conf. is
regurarly trilingual. English, French or German. The local language
isn't included as its official language. Some tracks are provided
English a/o local language translation.

I also attended a US based convention, formerly held in Milwaukee
then, but now seemed to move to Indianapolice. I am aware of danger to
present myself geeky for now, it could be another good reference... As
an US based event, it is monolingual, but its coordinations in several
spheres is awasome. Over 10 hotels were occupied by participants, 2
hotels and public convention halls in city serves the convention.
Registration begins in the fall before one year (so organizers have a
pool of money beforehand), printed program is sent before one month of
convention, etc.  See http://gencon.org

> Just after Wikimania, a discussion took place to identify the good sides
> and the bad sides of Wikimania 2006.

Sorry interception, but I prefer to say "have taken", "have been
taking" or just "is ongoing" ... because I have now many things to
discuss about its linguistic aspects ... I am now strongly hesitant to
call it an intenational event in its full meaning. I know most of
"int'l" computer related conf. are monolingual but Wikimania is not
only a specific-computer science-related-topic- oriented conference
but also aiming to a community event? And as a humanist who studies
philosophy, an int'l conf or session I have attended and first imagine
is at least bilingual. So, you won't be realized the monolinguality of
Wikimania beaten me heavily. It was really a shock when I learned not
only the ongoing conference at Boston but also Frankfurterkonferenz
had been also monolingual (de facto English), since I have read
possible interpretation and translation were discussed by mailinglist

Besides my personal impression, as English speaker as
a foreign language, I found many "it would be much greater if ..."
like sorts at conference. Like transription providing for at least
keynotes (planeries). Due to the current workload, currently I have no
enough time to summarize my proposal for universal access to Wikimedia
things for "ESAFL/ESASL", so I expect you as those to input your
opinion frankly, and also expect the next year conf. is greatly
progressing at this point.

--
Kizu Naoko
  Wikiquote: http://wikiquote.org

Re: Wikimania 2007 - get ready for the third edition.

KIZU Naoko
Sorry, I tried to save it then instead of sending ...  and failed to
include the most important part for me.

As translation coordinator, I would like to apologize all non native
English speakers who attended the past two conferences for your any
inconvinience, and deeply appreciate your patience, not uproaring
about it in public. To unignorable extent, it was my fault to fail to
pay full attention on both two conference, and I thank all of
translators who helped those two always. I wouldn't like to accuse
anyone, those who organized conferences, and at least for the latest,
I assure them most of participants enjoyed it greatly in general. But
as one of people who credited for those organization, I feel necessity
to confess my works weren't perfect, and guilty for your
inconvinience, if any.

Your comment, suggestion for improvement will be welcome,

Kizu Naoko
  Wikiquote: http://wikiquote.org
  * vivemus, mea Lesbia, amemus *

Re: Wikimania 2007 - get ready for the third edition.

valdelli@bluemail.ch
IMHO in Official requirements for bidding cities should be specified
that town in country with local Wikimedia chapter are "strongly"
supported in the final choice.

IMHO the first problem is an organizational problem and if the
Wikimedia's town is supported by a local chapter and other external
chapters it means that WMF could confide in a group already present
and organized.

At moment I could read a lot of proposed towns without connection
with local chapters (i.e. Geneva) which are only a "nice to have". In
this moment these proposals seems to be only a brainstorming.

Regards

Ilario

On Thu, 17 Aug 2006, Aphaia wrote:

> /me nods. A int'l conference I know, which usually gather 1,000 people
> or so, is scheduled 3 years before. And honestly I doubt we can say it
> is steadily growing ... (who cares for aesthetics in this world? Heh,
> but it is another problem). For your information, the conf. is
> regurarly trilingual. English, French or German. The local language
> isn't included as its official language. Some tracks are provided
> English a/o local language translation.

Which conference is this?

> spheres is awasome. Over 10 hotels were occupied by participants, 2
> hotels and public convention halls in city serves the convention.
> Registration begins in the fall before one year (so organizers have a
> pool of money beforehand), printed program is sent before one month of
> convention, etc.  See http://gencon.org

Sounds nice.  Gencon is its own LLC; their cons are for-profit, run by
Wizards of the Coast's Peter Adkison... a slightly different kind of
event, if still focused on pleasing its attendees.

> taking" or just "is ongoing" ... because I have now many things to
> discuss about its linguistic aspects ... I am now strongly hesitant to
> call it an intenational event in its full meaning. I know most of
> "int'l" computer related conf. are monolingual but Wikimania is not

This is not in itself a reason to be the same; we don't have to be limited
by what most tech conferences do...

> is at least bilingual. So, you won't be realized the monolinguality of
> Wikimania beaten me heavily. It was really a shock when I learned not
> only the ongoing conference at Boston but also Frankfurterkonferenz
> had been also monolingual (de facto English), since I have read
> possible interpretation and translation were discussed by mailinglist

Interpretation and translation were discussed.  Even budgeted for.  But in
the end dropped for lack of explicit vocal interest by attendees.  There
is a chicken and egg problem here, as with the geographic diversity of
active Wikimedians.  Announcing clearly that there will be strong bi- or
multi-lingual support at a conference helps bring attendees who would need
and use such services, and who would otherwise not come.

> keynotes (planeries). Due to the current workload, currently I have no
> enough time to summarize my proposal for universal access to Wikimedia
> things for "ESAFL/ESASL", so I expect you as those to input your
> opinion frankly, and also expect the next year conf. is greatly
> progressing at this point.

I assume you mean "english as a foreign language" / "english as a second
language".  Perhaps those on this list who have experience with events
that cater to multilingual (and ESL/EFL) audiences can suggest how other
groups reach these goals.

This reminds me of the World Social Forum, which tries to be multilingual
and accessible.  They have an interesting structure for planning
committees, including representatives from underrepresented communities
of attendees:

http://www.ussf2007.org/org_chart.html

--SJ

On 8/17/06, Aphaia <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sorry interception, but I prefer to say "have taken", "have been
> taking" or just "is ongoing" ... because I have now many things to
> discuss about its linguistic aspects ... I am now strongly hesitant to
> call it an intenational event in its full meaning. I know most of
> "int'l" computer related conf. are monolingual but Wikimania is not
> only a specific-computer science-related-topic- oriented conference
> but also aiming to a community event? And as a humanist who studies
> philosophy, an int'l conf or session I have attended and first imagine
> is at least bilingual. So, you won't be realized the monolinguality of
> Wikimania beaten me heavily. It was really a shock when I learned not
> only the ongoing conference at Boston but also Frankfurterkonferenz
> had been also monolingual (de facto English), since I have read
> possible interpretation and translation were discussed by mailinglist

For the record, simultaneous translation is an enormous budget,
especially when it comes to many languages. The question is always,
which of the chicken or the egg comes first. ie. Would providing
translation in say 5 languages actually bring enough people who speak
those languages to make it worthwhile? Or would the so many people
speaking one language present at the conference would make it
worthwhile to have translation in that language? It is a tough call.
In an ideal world, we'd be very very rich and could provide audio
guides for every single language represented.

Although I find a ratio of 50% international / 50% local interesting,
I believe a higher ratio of local people makes Wikimania lose its
"international" meaning altogether.

> Besides my personal impression, as English speaker as
> a foreign language, I found many "it would be much greater if ..."
> like sorts at conference. Like transription providing for at least
> keynotes (planeries). Due to the current workload, currently I have no
> enough time to summarize my proposal for universal access to Wikimedia
> things for "ESAFL/ESASL", so I expect you as those to input your
> opinion frankly, and also expect the next year conf. is greatly
> progressing at this point.

I believe I can be hardly taxed of monolinguism activism myself, but I
still believe that Wikimania in English, wherever it happens, makes
perfect sense. That we facilitate the coming of speakers who do not
speak English, and make sure they can express themselves in their own
language, sure. That we provide translation for the language of the
country that hosts the conference, why not. But in the end, English
should remain the main language, even if we need to make sure that it
is never an obstacle for people to come.

Delphine
--
~notafish

Re: Wikimania 2007 - get ready for the third edition.

mapocathy
I assume you mean "english as a foreign language" / "english as a second
language".  Perhaps those on this list who have experience with events
that cater to multilingual (and ESL/EFL) audiences can suggest how other
groups reach these goals.

I had the experience of doing conferences in Shanghai and Hong Kong as a
spotaneous translator and blogger - not sure if you guys noticed, there are
Chinese Wikipedians who translated the conference sessions through Skype
chatroom in real time this year.  Completely grassroot and self-initiated.
And the users (20-40 of them) were very excited.

Although I find a ratio of 50% international / 50% local interesting,
I believe a higher ratio of local people makes Wikimania lose its
"international" meaning altogether.

On the other hand irc-based (less costly, well, and less organized)
translation worked wonder last time when Rebecca
McKinnon<http://rconversation.blogs.com/>and I were translating on
#irc in English for the Chinese Blogger
Conference, so that people from knows what's going on even when (1) they
don't speak Chinese (2) they are not in the conference.  There were even
blogger from Bahrain writing up the final blog for us reporting all the
events and photos from flickr.

But key question is - are people *that* that interested in Wikimania?  This
year the conference is different in a sense I feel less international
presence was on the IRC, but it could be me.  I wonder, like what Delphine
said, how interested people are in coming for Wikimania?  It is a bit loose
this time, when compared to some other academic conferences, or even last
year's atmosphere.  Do we have themes like certain (academic) conferences*?
Even like O'reilly conferences they do post a big question and people
collectively answer that during and after the conference.  Or First Monday
conference that focused on the importance of open content publishing and its
future.  If we have something like that, will it lift the conference spirits
a bit?

Just random ideas.  :p  Feel free to coment.

*note:  I know!  Academic conferences are boring, and not sponteneous, but I
mean more like First Monday's or O'Reilly's Conferences though

-cathy

On 8/17/06, Delphine Ménard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 8/17/06, Aphaia <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Sorry interception, but I prefer to say "have taken", "have been
> > taking" or just "is ongoing" ... because I have now many things to
> > discuss about its linguistic aspects ... I am now strongly hesitant to
> > call it an intenational event in its full meaning. I know most of
> > "int'l" computer related conf. are monolingual but Wikimania is not
> > only a specific-computer science-related-topic- oriented conference
> > but also aiming to a community event? And as a humanist who studies
> > philosophy, an int'l conf or session I have attended and first imagine
> > is at least bilingual. So, you won't be realized the monolinguality of
> > Wikimania beaten me heavily. It was really a shock when I learned not
> > only the ongoing conference at Boston but also Frankfurterkonferenz
> > had been also monolingual (de facto English), since I have read
> > possible interpretation and translation were discussed by mailinglist
>
> For the record, simultaneous translation is an enormous budget,
> especially when it comes to many languages. The question is always,
> which of the chicken or the egg comes first. ie. Would providing
> translation in say 5 languages actually bring enough people who speak
> those languages to make it worthwhile? Or would the so many people
> speaking one language present at the conference would make it
> worthwhile to have translation in that language? It is a tough call.
> In an ideal world, we'd be very very rich and could provide audio
> guides for every single language represented.
>
> Although I find a ratio of 50% international / 50% local interesting,
> I believe a higher ratio of local people makes Wikimania lose its
> "international" meaning altogether.
>
> > Besides my personal impression, as English speaker as
> > a foreign language, I found many "it would be much greater if ..."
> > like sorts at conference. Like transription providing for at least
> > keynotes (planeries). Due to the current workload, currently I have no
> > enough time to summarize my proposal for universal access to Wikimedia
> > things for "ESAFL/ESASL", so I expect you as those to input your
> > opinion frankly, and also expect the next year conf. is greatly
> > progressing at this point.
>
> I believe I can be hardly taxed of monolinguism activism myself, but I
> still believe that Wikimania in English, wherever it happens, makes
> perfect sense. That we facilitate the coming of speakers who do not
> speak English, and make sure they can express themselves in their own
> language, sure. That we provide translation for the language of the
> country that hosts the conference, why not. But in the end, English
> should remain the main language, even if we need to make sure that it
> is never an obstacle for people to come.
>

> Delphine
> --
> ~notafish

MPhil Candidate,