Wikimania 2008 Bidding opens

Cary Bass-3
Please consider this an announcement that formal bidding has begun today
for Wikimania 2008 host city.  Bids can be placed on
<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2008/Bids>.

Also, the candidate city selection jury has been announced, the names
can be found here:  <http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2008/Jury>

Please share this information with any local mailing lists, and
translate where applicable.

Thank you.

Cary Bass

Volunteer Coordinator
Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.
Phone: 727.231.0101
Fax: 727.258.0207
E-Mail: [hidden email]

Re: Wikimania 2008 Bidding opens

Mohamed Ibrahim
At last..
we were waiting for this announcement a while ago.
Good luck to all of you!

On 8/21/07, Cary Bass <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Please consider this an announcement that formal bidding has begun today
> for Wikimania 2008 host city.  Bids can be placed on
> <http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2008/Bids>.
>
> Also, the candidate city selection jury has been announced, the names
> can be found here:  <http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2008/Jury>
>
> Please share this information with any local mailing lists, and
> translate where applicable.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Cary Bass
>
> Volunteer Coordinator
> Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.
> Phone: 727.231.0101
> Fax: 727.258.0207
> E-Mail: [hidden email]

- Arabic Wikipedia: http://ar.wikipedia.org/  "Share your knowledge"
El koon kolo beydoor we e7na WAYAH bendoor....

Re: Wikimania 2008 Bidding opens

Majorly
Indeed, good luck everyone!

--
Alex (Majorly)

Re: Wikimania 2008 Bidding opens

Brian J Mingus
Bid away. I vote for Alexandria.

On 8/20/07, Majorly <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Indeed, good luck everyone!
>

> --
> Alex (Majorly)

Re: Wikimania 2008 Bidding opens

Effe iets anders
wow what a neutral point of view :) I favor the best prepared bid with the
best opportunities to make it a successfull conference :)

Lodewijk

2007/8/21, Brian <[hidden email]>:

> Bid away. I vote for Alexandria.
>
> On 8/20/07, Majorly <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Indeed, good luck everyone!
> >

> > --
> > Alex (Majorly)

Re: [Translators-l] Wikimania 2008 Bidding opens

Ilario Valdelli
I have seen here:

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2008/Jury

some members involved (directly or indirectly) with the bid towns (not
official yet).

Is not it better to have in the Jury and in the moderators team,
persons outside to any candidatures?

The neutral point of view begins "in capite" and finishes "in membris".

Ilario

On 8/20/07, Cary Bass <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Please consider this an announcement that formal bidding has begun today
> for Wikimania 2008 host city.  Bids can be placed on
> <http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2008/Bids>.
>
> Also, the candidate city selection jury has been announced, the names
> can be found here:  <http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2008/Jury>
>
> Please share this information with any local mailing lists, and
> translate where applicable.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Cary Bass
>
> Volunteer Coordinator
> Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.
> Phone: 727.231.0101
> Fax: 727.258.0207
> E-Mail: [hidden email]

Re: [Translators-l] Wikimania 2008 Bidding opens

Effe iets anders
As long as they are not involved with the bidding itself I see no problems.
It would be very bad that a bid would mean that an experienced jury member
would have to get out of the jury. After all, they are judging on quality
mainly. And I assume that if they feel they are involved, they are adult
enough to recognize themselves :)

BR, Lodewijk

2007/8/21, Ilario Valdelli <[hidden email]>:

> I have seen here:
>
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2008/Jury
>
> some members involved (directly or indirectly) with the bid towns (not
> official yet).
>
> Is not it better to have in the Jury and in the moderators team,
> persons outside to any candidatures?
>
> The neutral point of view begins "in capite" and finishes "in membris".
>
> Ilario
>
> On 8/20/07, Cary Bass <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Please consider this an announcement that formal bidding has begun today
> > for Wikimania 2008 host city.  Bids can be placed on
> > <http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2008/Bids>.
> >
> > Also, the candidate city selection jury has been announced, the names
> > can be found here:  <http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2008/Jury>
> >
> > Please share this information with any local mailing lists, and
> > translate where applicable.
> >
> > Thank you.
> >
> > Cary Bass
> >
> > Volunteer Coordinator
> > Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.
> > Phone: 727.231.0101
> > Fax: 727.258.0207
> > E-Mail: [hidden email]

Re: [Translators-l] Wikimania 2008 Bidding opens

Ilario Valdelli
I agree that who has experience must have a part in this decision.

But it is not mandatory that who prepare a technical relation, he must
have a vote in the final decision.

In any case it's a choice.

Ilario

On 8/21/07, effe iets anders <[hidden email]> wrote:

> As long as they are not involved with the bidding itself I see no problems.
> It would be very bad that a bid would mean that an experienced jury member
> would have to get out of the jury. After all, they are judging on quality
> mainly. And I assume that if they feel they are involved, they are adult
> enough to recognize themselves :)
>
> BR, Lodewijk
>
> 2007/8/21, Ilario Valdelli <[hidden email]>:
> >
> > I have seen here:
> >
> > http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2008/Jury
> >
> > some members involved (directly or indirectly) with the bid towns (not
> > official yet).
> >
> > Is not it better to have in the Jury and in the moderators team,
> > persons outside to any candidatures?
> >
> > The neutral point of view begins "in capite" and finishes "in membris".
> >
> > Ilario
> >
> > On 8/20/07, Cary Bass <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > Please consider this an announcement that formal bidding has begun today
> > > for Wikimania 2008 host city.  Bids can be placed on
> > > <http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2008/Bids>.
> > >
> > > Also, the candidate city selection jury has been announced, the names
> > > can be found here:  <http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2008/Jury>
> > >
> > > Please share this information with any local mailing lists, and
> > > translate where applicable.
> > >
> > > Thank you.
> > >
> > > Cary Bass
> > >
> > > Volunteer Coordinator
> > > Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.
> > > Phone: 727.231.0101
> > > Fax: 727.258.0207
> > > E-Mail: [hidden email]

Re: [Translators-l] Wikimania 2008 Bidding opens

Florence Devouard-3
Since the bids are not yet published, it is hard for the organizing team
to make sure there is no conflict of interest, unless informed.

If one person is involved in a bid, I would strongly suggest she or he
just move to the "advisor" group.

Ant

Ilario Valdelli wrote:

> I agree that who has experience must have a part in this decision.
>
> But it is not mandatory that who prepare a technical relation, he must
> have a vote in the final decision.
>
> In any case it's a choice.
>
> Ilario
>
> On 8/21/07, effe iets anders <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> As long as they are not involved with the bidding itself I see no problems.
>> It would be very bad that a bid would mean that an experienced jury member
>> would have to get out of the jury. After all, they are judging on quality
>> mainly. And I assume that if they feel they are involved, they are adult
>> enough to recognize themselves :)
>>
>> BR, Lodewijk
>>
>> 2007/8/21, Ilario Valdelli <[hidden email]>:
>>> I have seen here:
>>>
>>> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2008/Jury
>>>
>>> some members involved (directly or indirectly) with the bid towns (not
>>> official yet).
>>>
>>> Is not it better to have in the Jury and in the moderators team,
>>> persons outside to any candidatures?
>>>
>>> The neutral point of view begins "in capite" and finishes "in membris".

Re: [Translators-l] Wikimania 2008 Bidding opens

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen
On 8/21/07, Florence Devouard <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Since the bids are not yet published, it is hard for the organizing team
> to make sure there is no conflict of interest, unless informed.
>
> If one person is involved in a bid, I would strongly suggest she or he
> just move to the "advisor" group.

I am interested; do you mean move from the jury or from the bid?

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen wrote:

> On 8/21/07, Florence Devouard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Since the bids are not yet published, it is hard for the organizing team
>> to make sure there is no conflict of interest, unless informed.
>>
>> If one person is involved in a bid, I would strongly suggest she or he
>> just move to the "advisor" group.
>>

> I am interested; do you mean move from the jury or from the bid?
>
> --
> Jussi-Ville Heiskanen, ~ [[User:Cimon Avaro]]

You are not in the jury, so are not conflicted.
Move from the voting jury to the advisory jury of course ! :-)

ant

Re: [Translators-l] Wikimania 2008 Bidding opens

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen
On 8/21/07, Florence Devouard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You are not in the jury, so are not conflicted.
> Move from the voting jury to the advisory jury of course ! :-)

Currently I am not involved in any bid either (to the extent of
my knowledge), so I am in fact _doubly_ not conflicted. ;-)