Wikimania 2008

Gary Kirk
I just spoke to somebody in the Culture and Community section of the
Mayor's press office, who advised me to call the mayor's C&C advisor,
whose answerphone advised me to call her PA, whose answerphone said to
leave a message, which I did not as I am no good at them :).
I assume they're at lunch, I will check back soon.

--
Gary Kirk

Re: Wikimania 2008

Gary Kirk
I phoned Google's UK office and, after being confused by an automated
system, spoke to someone who, without me even saying a word besides
Hello, said I had to 'go online, there's a form'. Cheers...
Anyone have any UK contacts at Google?
I also spoke to someone at O2, a mobile phone company who I believe
have the rights or some such to the Millenium Dome ('The O2') - party
venue? Come on, you love it! :)
- a very tired Gary

--
Gary Kirk

Re: Wikimania 2008

Rob Church
On 05/09/07, Gary Kirk <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I also spoke to someone at O2, a mobile phone company who I believe
> have the rights or some such to the Millenium Dome ('The O2') - party
> venue? Come on, you love it! :)

Very inspired thinking, actually, although I personally despise O2. ;)
More seriously, something like the Millennium Dome is a nice, flashy
venue that could probably handle both the "party" requirements - it
would keep both the regular punters and the "VIPs" happy, I should
think.

Rob Church

Re: Wikimania 2008

Katie Chan
On Wed, 2007-09-05 at 16:53 +0100, Gary Kirk wrote:
> I phoned Google's UK office and, after being confused by an automated
> system, spoke to someone who, without me even saying a word besides
> Hello, said I had to 'go online, there's a form'. Cheers...
> Anyone have any UK contacts at Google?

I've just tried to see if a couple of my university friends have any
contacts in Google, Apple, HP, Deloitte & Visa. I'm not sure how likely
the response will be positive, but can only try. :)

KTC

  - Heinrich Heine

Re: Wikimania 2008

On 05/09/07, Rob Church <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Very inspired thinking, actually, although I personally despise O2. ;)
> More seriously, something like the Millennium Dome is a nice, flashy
> venue that could probably handle both the "party" requirements - it
> would keep both the regular punters and the "VIPs" happy, I should
> think.

They'd want buckets of cash at commercial rates, I'd think. Though I
wonder if by next year we could sell 20,000 tickets to hear Jimbo
speak ...

- d.

Re: Wikimania 2008

Gary Kirk
As a certain supermarket would say, every little helps :).

--
Gary Kirk

Re: Wikimania 2008

Thomas Dalton
> Very inspired thinking, actually, although I personally despise O2. ;)
> More seriously, something like the Millennium Dome is a nice, flashy
> venue that could probably handle both the "party" requirements - it
> would keep both the regular punters and the "VIPs" happy, I should
> think.

It's the "O2 Arena" now - you're living in the past. ;) It would make
a good venue, but I doubt they'll give it to us for free.

Re: Wikimania 2008

James Farrar
> > Very inspired thinking, actually, although I personally despise O2. ;)
> > More seriously, something like the Millennium Dome is a nice, flashy
> > venue that could probably handle both the "party" requirements - it
> > would keep both the regular punters and the "VIPs" happy, I should
> > think.
>
> It's the "O2 Arena" now - you're living in the past. ;)

"The O2 Arena" is one of several facilities within the Millennium Dome, right?

Re: Wikimania 2008

Rob Church
On 06/09/07, James Farrar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 05/09/07, Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > Very inspired thinking, actually, although I personally despise O2. ;)
> > > More seriously, something like the Millennium Dome is a nice, flashy
> > > venue that could probably handle both the "party" requirements - it
> > > would keep both the regular punters and the "VIPs" happy, I should
> > > think.
> >
> > It's the "O2 Arena" now - you're living in the past. ;)
>
> "The O2 Arena" is one of several facilities within the Millennium Dome, right?

Almost, but not quite; according to Wikipedia, at least, the "O2
Arena" is part of "The O2", which is the new name for the Millennium
Dome.

Nevertheless, I think "Millennium Dome" is a more recognisable brand;
ask random people in the UK (living outside of London) what "The O2"
refers to, and you're likely to be told that it's a mobile phone
provider, but the name "Millennium Dome" is more instantly
recognisable, and probably especially internationally.

Rob Church

Re: Wikimania 2008

Katie Chan
> Nevertheless, I think "Millennium Dome" is a more recognisable brand;
> ask random people in the UK (living outside of London) what "The O2"
> refers to, and you're likely to be told that it's a mobile phone
> provider, but the name "Millennium Dome" is more instantly
> recognisable, and probably especially internationally.

As random people in the UK what the "Millennium Dome" is, and you're
likely to encounter the reply "White elephant". ;-)

KTC

  - Heinrich Heine

Re: Wikimania 2008

Rob Church
On 06/09/07, Kwan Ting Chan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> As random people in the UK what the "Millennium Dome" is, and you're
> likely to encounter the reply "White elephant". ;-)

Well, yeah, but... ;)

Rob Church

Re: Wikimania 2008

Thomas Dalton
> > > It's the "O2 Arena" now - you're living in the past. ;)
> >
> > "The O2 Arena" is one of several facilities within the Millennium Dome, right?
>
> Almost, but not quite; according to Wikipedia, at least, the "O2
> Arena" is part of "The O2", which is the new name for the Millennium
> Dome.

Yes, however the main bit we would use is the arena. The restaurants,
bars and cinema aren't really relevant (although nice to have them at
hand).