Wikimania 2009 locations

Sandy Dorotheo

Dear Gary,

Into something more like this. http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/ I am trying so hard to stay across conversations on different threads, and the discussion about homosexual rights and a dangerous Alexandria is so distracting.

I was reading this > Because, unless they've changed since a couple of years' ago, the Open
> University hold their London region summer schools there and have the
> place booked out ...

And was wondering why you wouldn’t have considered OU as a natural sponsor. Particularly as their Openlearn  http://www.open.ac.uk/openlearn/home.php initiative is so closely aligned with the aims of the wikimedia foundation. Ultimately the location for Wikimania is of little concern to the majority of Wikipedially minded learners. The important thing is how a quiet activist might be made to feel apart of the wiki story and discover their place in the communities of global groups from which it’s .org is composed.

Is there anywhere where the Wishlists might be compiled. I mean of speakers and the things Wikimedians might want them to say? Gary, I think I was reading one of yours for Tim Berners Lee; second the motion. It would be a nice into to set a global stage. And somewhere between this old fashioned thread and this http://digitalunion.osu.edu/megaconference/ we have the tools to share a conference, or 20. OU would be strategic here as their old relationships with the BBC will naturally question why an interesting Wikimania wouldn’t be broadcast. Or at least narrowcast. Better still, Multicast.

I’ll leave it with you. But just gotta say. You and Mido, working together with other peers who didn’t get the first guernsey this year, would have to get such a charge. I’m jealous.

Regards,

simonfj

Checked by AVG Free Edition.

Re: Wikimania 2009 locations

Cormac Lawler
Dear (is it Sandy or Simon?), thanks for your mail (it was sent to the
mailing list). I know how mailing lists can get overpowering, but
that's what we use (as well as wikis of course!). Some email clients
make it easier to keep track of mailing list threads - I find Gmail
works for me.

The Open University is a great idea for Wikimania sponsorship - and
they would be one of the first I would approach. (I'm speaking at
their OpenLearn 2007 conference in just over a week's time.)

Tim Berners-Lee - we've asked him before but he was already booked up
for that time period. Hopefully, now that Wikimania planning is
already underway for summer 2009, it will be easier to secure speakers
that we want in time. I've added a section, with your idea at
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania (Meta, along with mailing
lists and IRC, is where we do our meta-community organising).

Please feel free to suggest anything else here, or on Meta.

Cheers,
Cormac