Wikimania 2009

Akash Shah
Hi all.

Bids for Wikimania 2009 are going to open on Saturday. There is already an unofficial India bid made at http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2009/India . Should we bid for Wikimania? By that time we should (hopefully) have an active India chapter and more people too. Take a look at http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2009 for more details. For all those who are not aware - Wikimania is the annual conference of the Wikimedia foundation. Wikimania 2007 was held in Taipei, Taiwan and was attended by close to 500 people. Wikimania 2008 is going to be held in Alexandria, Egypt (home to the first library in the world).

Do think and write your suggestions regarding Wikimania in India. We can then decide a city and make the official bid.

Akash

Re: Wikimania 2009

Anirudh S. Bhati
Sounds really interesting, and I would be fully supportive of this, provided we could get enough enthusiasts. New Delhi would be a great choice, IMO. But then again, there is the ubiquitous question of sponsors.

On 12/12/07, Akash <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all.

Bids for Wikimania 2009 are going to open on Saturday. There is already an unofficial India bid made at <a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2009/India" target="_blank">http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2009/India . Should we bid for Wikimania? By that time we should (hopefully) have an active India chapter and more people too. Take a look at <a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2009" target="_blank">http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2009 for more details. For all those who are not aware - Wikimania is the annual conference of the Wikimedia foundation. Wikimania 2007 was held in Taipei, Taiwan and was attended by close to 500 people. Wikimania 2008 is going to be held in Alexandria, Egypt (home to the first library in the world).

Do think and write your suggestions regarding Wikimania in India. We can then decide a city and make the official bid.

Akash

<a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaindia-l" target="_blank"> http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaindia-l

Re: Wikimania 2009

Eukesh Ranjit
Hi all,
I think it is a really nice idea. Forming and running the wikimedia India chapter will take some time. So, it might be a bit hard for the India chapter to organize wikimania by itself.
I would like to suggest that the Wikimedia India chapter collaborate with some of the established educational institutions like IIT or maybe work with organizations pertaining to Indian language promotion as it would be much easier to organize as well as much cheaper in terms of cost.
We here in Nepal are trying to form a Nepal chapter (maybe by 2010 or later) and help from various language organizations, colleges, open source organizations, radio stations etc. has been very helpful for spreading words and recruiting new volunteers.
Regards,
Eukesh

Anirudh <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Nicholas-38
Personally, I think we delay it for a year. To organize something of such a magnitude (we're talking about 2000-3000 people attending if the numbers escalate.) we need to market wikipedia in India properly and have a good infrastructure. My personal opinion would be to first form the India chapter, rope in more volunteers, and use it to promote wikipedia in India. This would give us a stable platform to pitch in with a serious bid and win it.

If there is no strong local base in India, the idea of Wikimania being hosted in India would be reduced to a fair attended by an eclectic mix of local and international participants. There has to be more of a wikipedia presence in India, which at the moment is sorely lacking.

Regards,
--Nicholas

Anirudh <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Toronto had been a very serious bidder since 2 years and has dropped for 2008 bidding to focus on 2009. I think they are most likely to win the bid. The only thing that could go against them would be the rotation policy of Wikimania. Though I don't think there is a written rule. So I agree with Nichalp that we should try and bid for the 2010 edition.

My experience from Taiwan says that we do not need lots of active Wikimedians to host Wikimania, but a large number of internet savvy volunteers. Almost all the volunteers at Taipei were from a local college who were all active on some internet forum. We could do something similar taking the help on FOSS.IN and other open source organisations. But care must also be taken that we do not let them hijack the event. For this the core of the team must be from the Wikimedian community (most likely the board members of the India chapter).

If anyone still thinks that we should bid for 2009, I'll help you in any way I can. But I think Nichalp is right in that we should concentrate all our energies on the starting the chapter within the next few months and then we can seriously start planning for Wikimania in India.

Akash

Anirudh <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Nice summary Akash! I agree with you in totality. The number of participants at the Wikimania 2007 was around 500 attendees, 250 of which were locals.

At the present moment, our priority should be the formation of the chapter and then letting the interested parties, corporates and institutions know about it's existence so that they may come forward and support this free culture initiative in India.

Anirudh <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Delphine Ménard
Catching up.

On Dec 15, 2007 6:54 AM, Nicholas <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Personally, I think we delay it for a year. To organize something of such a
> magnitude (we're talking about 2000-3000 people attending if the numbers
> escalate.)

I won't comment on anything else, but no, Wikimania will not be
hosting 2000/3000 people. Just because in any kind of case, the
Foundation will not have the resources to finance anything this big,
and because a community conference should stay around a respectable
and workable number. Count rather on 400/500 max.

Delphine

--
~notafish

Re: Wikimania 2009

Hari Prasad Nadig-2

On Wed, 2007-12-12 at 14:49 +0530, Akash wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> Bids for Wikimania 2009 are going to open on Saturday. There is
> already an unofficial India bid made at
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2009/India. Should we bid for
> Wikimania? By that time we should (hopefully) have an active India
> chapter and more people too. Take a look at
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2009 for more details. For
> all those who are not aware - Wikimania is the annual conference of
> the Wikimedia foundation. Wikimania 2007 was held in Taipei, Taiwan
> and was attended by close to 500 people. Wikimania 2008 is going to be
> held in Alexandria, Egypt (home to the first library in the world).
>
> Do think and write your suggestions regarding Wikimania in India. We can then decide a city and make the official bid.

I think it is a good idea to bid for 2009.
Delhi/Bangalore/Chennai/Kochi/Thiruvananthapuram/Darjeeling - any of
these could be considered for probable venue. Even Mysore could be one,
considering the infrastructure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mysore

Mysore is considered the cultural and knowledge capital of Karnataka
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_of_Mysore).  The city has deep
roots in Culture, Tradition, Education Excellence and has been a centre
of Knowledge. The famous Mysore University dates back to 18th Century.
Educational tradition here dates back to the Vedic times. :-)
The place is a tourist destination too.

Infosys has a huge campus there (we could probably talk to them). CFTRI
and CIIL also have huge campus each with facilities of International
standard. There are palace hotels to stay in and the place is well
connected from Bangalore.

  - Hari Prasad

Re: Wikimania 2009

Anirudh S. Bhati
New Delhi on the other hand may be a viable option for the infrastructure, since it is being beautified for the Commonwealth Games in 2010 and the airline fares would be a lot cheaper. It's also close to cities like Agra and Jaipur, which are tourist hotspots.

Darjeeling and Mysore would be fun. Exotic places. :-)

The CEE, Ahmedabad, which recently hosted the Fourth International Conference on Environmental Education can be approached for such an event. They have a wi-fi enabled campus which is very scenic and amidst woods. They also have a good record for sending the waste generated in the campus for recycling. There are two auditoriums, which can house 500+ people, and multiple number of rooms for seminars and workshops, all air conditioned and fitted with all needed accessories ;-)

Just a thought! :P

--Anirudh

On Wed, 2007-12-19 at 17:33 +0530, Anirudh wrote:
> New Delhi on the other hand may be a viable option for the
> infrastructure, since it is being beautified for the Commonwealth
> Games in 2010 and the airline fares would be a lot cheaper. It's also
> close to cities like Agra and Jaipur, which are tourist hotspots.
>
> Darjeeling and Mysore would be fun. Exotic places. :-)
>
> The CEE, Ahmedabad, which recently hosted the Fourth International Conference on Environmental Education can be approached for such an event. They have a wi-fi enabled campus which is very scenic and amidst woods. They also have a good record for sending the waste generated in the campus for recycling. There are two auditoriums, which can house 500+ people, and multiple number of rooms for seminars and workshops, all air conditioned and fitted with all needed accessories ;-)

Nice! This means that we have several options now to explore. More
reasons than not to bid :-)

 - Hari Prasad