Wikimania 2012 Google Opening Reception at the Library of Congress

Wikimania 2012 Google Opening Reception at the Library of Congress

Nicholas Michael Bashour
Dear all,

All registered Wikimania attendees who will be present in Washington, DC on the evening July 11 are invited to the Wikimania 2012 Google Opening Reception, held in honor of the World Digital Library, at the Great Hall of the Library of Congress' Thomas Jefferson Building from 7:00-8:30 PM (19:00-20:30 EDT). This is a great opportunity to connect with other Wikimania attendees, the Board of Trustees, and individuals from the Washington, DC, area. There will be tours of the Library of Congress provided, along with two exhibitions that will be open to attendees. We will have beautiful music along with great food and drinks, and we will have a short presentation on the World Digital Library and how it fits into our global vision. It will be an amazing event in a spectacular venue, and we look forward to sharing it with you.

For more details and to add your name to the list of attendees, please visit http://wikimania2012.wikimedia.org/wiki/Google_Reception.

Sincerely,

Nicholas Michael Bashour
President
Wikimedia District of Columbia
Washington, DC, USA

Re: Wikimania 2012 Google Opening Reception at the Library of Congress

Lodewijk
For this mailing list: there has been a discussion about the dress code on internal-l (probably shifted there by accident). Some people feel that the dresscode is overreaching and unfit for Wikimania. It was assured by the organizers that local costumes (from your own country: saris, kimonos, or whatever is considered semi-formal wear) is allowed.

As for the general event dress code: I find it personally a bit out of style for a Wikimania - but it is no huge deal for me from a view other than practical. I'm not sure if I will attend or not, it apparently will depend if I want to make space in my limited luggage for a suit which I only will wear one evening instead of clothes for the rest of the 2 weeks or stroopwafels.

Best,
Lodewijk

2012/6/21 Nicholas Michael Bashour <[hidden email]>
[...]

Re: [Internal-l] Wikimania 2012 Google Opening Reception at the Library of Congress

Bence Damokos
Hi all,

Can we please stop arguing and demotivating the organizers who have put together a very nice event for us?

The event will be a reception held in a very prestigious building in the evening, where people from the cultural sector and outside Wikimania will attend, including representatives of foreign cultural institutions represented on the East Coast if I understood correctly. Going to such an event in T-shirts and jeans would look out of place under almost all circumstances.

Fortunately, the event's invitation and dress code (which was set at the minimal level acceptable for such an event in such a venue) was published well in advance so that everyone who can and wants to can pack their suitcases accordingly.

As I gather, a number of Wikimanias had formal, or invitation-only receptions before the official programmes, though I am not sure they had a dress code; I am actually quite happy that this year's reception will actually be open to the attendees. We should celebrate that – this is certainly not an elaborate plot to suit up attendees or to exclude anyone. I am especially happy to see strong cultural programmes as side events this year, apart from the usual parties.

Whatever you may say about traditions that are not the same as general Wikimania traditions; we should be open to celebrate others' cultures and traditions  and receptions with dress codes are just as much cultural experiences as anything else you may experience. You are not forced to partake in this experience, but cultural sensitivity requires that if you do want to participate you respect the modest requirements on dressing and thereby show respect to the organizers, the event and the other participants; and if you do not want to participate, that you try not to spoil the enjoyment of others.

The reception is scheduled to last about 90 minutes, after [and during] which everyone will have an opportunity to enjoy city life with or without other attendees in whatever clothes they find appropriate for a warm summer evening.

Best regards,
Bence

Re: [Internal-l] Wikimania 2012 Google Opening Reception at the Library of Congress

Joseph Fox

Huh, just heard about this today. Might I ask why a photo ID is required? Is there an age limit for drink-related reasons?

Joe

P.S. Apologies if this sends twice, my email client is being rather picky with this list.

On 23 June 2012 20:49, Bence Damokos <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

HJ Mitchell
Not picking on you, Lodewijk, but why on Earth is that being discussed on a private mailing list to which the vast majority of likely attendees don't have access?

----
Harry Mitchell
Phone: 024 7698 0977

On Sat, Jun 23, 2012 at 2:58 PM, Joseph Fox <[hidden email]> wrote:

Huh, just heard about this today. Might I ask why a photo ID is required? Is there an age limit for drink-related reasons?

See bottom of the page:
Please note that the drinking age in the United States is 21. You are only required to bring a photo ID if you would like to drink an alcoholic beverage. Non-alcoholic beverages will also be provided.

Best regards,
Bence

Re: Wikimania 2012 Google Opening Reception at the Library of Congress

Thomas Dalton
On 23 June 2012 14:10, Lodewijk <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I think simply an honest mistake of picking the wrong reply button :) (the
> announcement was sent there too). That is why I summarized the most relevant
> points of the discussion here.

Yes, I expect it was an honest mistake from the first person to reply,
and then everyone else was just replying to each other. I didn't
realise I was sending emails to internal-l, I thought we were on
Wikimania-l (that's the tag in the subject line).

Lodewijk commented (and I'm sure he won't mind me repeating it for
this list before I reply) that not everyone will necessarily own
suitable clothes. I find that very unlikely. The dress code really
isn't a excessive one (just smart trousers and a shirt, or a nice
summer dress, would be fine by my understanding - there's no need for
jackets and ties). Who doesn't have something smart to wear to
weddings, funeral, job interviews, first dates,
church/synagogue/mosque/temple, etc.? There are so many things that it
is normal to dress reasonable smartly for that I would be very
surprised if a Wikimania opening reception was the first such event
someone has ever attended.

Re: [Internal-l] Wikimania 2012 Google Opening Reception at the Library of Congress

Birgitte_sb
I have to admit the first thing I thought of when I saw this on thie schedule was the invite-only party at Boston. I think it is great, that the reception is opened up this Wikimania. I am excited about this event, really excited. Perhaps because it was such a surprise to me while I expected all the other great things planned. Not just because it will be fun, but because of the soft effects of having everyone connect at one event the night before the main schedule begins.  The two-tiered parties at Boston, I did not feel so excited about.

What is going to D.C. without a (semi-)formal party anyways? Those that dislike the dress code need to understand that D.C. is different from other places. If the event were in SF, there would be no probably be particular emphasis on dress code no matter how swank the venue. But D.C. is a different culture, and the organizers will continue living in D.C. long after Wikimania is over.  We shouldn't be willing to embarrass them because we find it inconvient to conform. I don't see how the organizers could avoid having this sort of reception where they can invite all the sponsors to meet Jimmy. I am sure every one can think of the things that are relevant to their own culture that organizations do to thank those that give them money. Things that are only optional if you rate the abiltity to look the sponsors in the eye without blushing as optional. In D.C., it is inviting funders to a party with certain minimum standards, that would not seem very minimal in most other US cities. They didn't have invite everyone of course, but I for one appreciate that.

BirgitteSB

On Jun 23, 2012, at 7:49 AM, Bence Damokos <bdamokos@g mail.com> write:

> Hi all,
>
> Can we please stop arguing and demotivating the organizers who have put together a very nice event for us?
>
> The event will be a reception held in a very prestigious building in the evening, where people from the cultural sector and outside Wikimania will attend, including representatives of foreign cultural institutions represented on the East Coast if I understood correctly. Going to such an event in T-shirts and jeans would look out of place under almost all circumstances.
>
> Fortunately, the event's invitation and dress code (which was set at the minimal level acceptable for such an event in such a venue) was published well in advance so that everyone who can and wants to can pack their suitcases accordingly.
>
> As I gather, a number of Wikimanias had formal, or invitation-only receptions before the official programmes, though I am not sure they had a dress code; I am actually quite happy that this year's reception will actually be open to the attendees. We should celebrate that – this is certainly not an elaborate plot to suit up attendees or to exclude anyone. I am especially happy to see strong cultural programmes as side events this year, apart from the usual parties.
>
> Whatever you may say about traditions that are not the same as general Wikimania traditions; we should be open to celebrate others' cultures and traditions  and receptions with dress codes are just as much cultural experiences as anything else you may experience. You are not forced to partake in this experience, but cultural sensitivity requires that if you do want to participate you respect the modest requirements on dressing and thereby show respect to the organizers, the event and the other participants; and if you do not want to participate, that you try not to spoil the enjoyment of others.
>
> The reception is scheduled to last about 90 minutes, after [and during] which everyone will have an opportunity to enjoy city life with or without other attendees in whatever clothes they find appropriate for a warm summer evening.
>
> Best regards,
> Bence

Re: [Internal-l] Wikimania 2012 Google Opening Reception at the Library of Congress

James Hare
The age limit is on drinking, not attending.

James

On Sat, Jun 23, 2012 at 8:58 AM, Joseph Fox <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Huh, just heard about this today. Might I ask why a photo ID is required? Is
> there an age limit for drink-related reasons?
>
> Joe
>
> P.S. Apologies if this sends twice, my email client is being rather picky
> with this list.
>
> On 23 June 2012 20:49, Bence Damokos <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Can we please stop arguing and demotivating the organizers who have put
>> together a very nice event for us?
>>
>> The event will be a reception held in a very prestigious building in the
>> evening, where people from the cultural sector and outside Wikimania will
>> attend, including representatives of foreign cultural institutions
>> represented on the East Coast if I understood correctly. Going to such an
>> event in T-shirts and jeans would look out of place under almost all
>> circumstances.
>>
>> Fortunately, the event's invitation and dress code (which was set at the
>> minimal level acceptable for such an event in such a venue) was published
>> well in advance so that everyone who can and wants to can pack their
>> suitcases accordingly.
>>
>> As I gather, a number of Wikimanias had formal, or invitation-only
>> receptions before the official programmes, though I am not sure they had a
>> dress code; I am actually quite happy that this year's reception will
>> actually be open to the attendees. We should celebrate that – this is
>> certainly not an elaborate plot to suit up attendees or to exclude anyone. I
>> am especially happy to see strong cultural programmes as side events this
>> year, apart from the usual parties.
>>
>> Whatever you may say about traditions that are not the same as general
>> Wikimania traditions; we should be open to celebrate others' cultures and
>> traditions  and receptions with dress codes are just as much cultural
>> experiences as anything else you may experience. You are not forced to
>> partake in this experience, but cultural sensitivity requires that if you do
>> want to participate you respect the modest requirements on dressing and
>> thereby show respect to the organizers, the event and the other
>> participants; and if you do not want to participate, that you try not to
>> spoil the enjoyment of others.
>>
>> The reception is scheduled to last about 90 minutes, after [and during]
>> which everyone will have an opportunity to enjoy city life with or without
>> other attendees in whatever clothes they find appropriate for a warm summer
>> evening.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Bence

Re: Wikimania 2012 Google Opening Reception at the Library of Congress

Steven Walling
On Sat, Jun 23, 2012 at 6:21 AM, Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yes, I expect it was an honest mistake from the first person to reply,
and then everyone else was just replying to each other. I didn't
realise I was sending emails to internal-l, I thought we were on
Wikimania-l (that's the tag in the subject line).

I was the first person to reply, and it was not a mistake. I replied to the original announcement on Internal-l because I didn't want to start a publicly-archived thread second guessing them and criticizing them. People tend to take negative feedback better when not performed in a public forum where everyone and their mother will pile on. It gave Nicholas the chance to reply before sending a public announcement, and he did so quite professionally. I don't personally consider the matter one that requires a big public debate.

Steven

Re: Wikimania 2012 Google Opening Reception at the Library of Congress

HJ Mitchell
Neither do I, but we, as a community and as a movement, strive for "openness", which means (except when private information is involved) not holding discussions in camera.

Personally, I think it's nice to have something to make an effort for, and I'm sure I can find room for a shirt, a tie, and a smart pair of trousers in my bag. No event will ever suit everybody, and there will always be a few - no matter what the event - who don't consider it to be their cup of tea.  However, I also think it's important that the "internals" remember that the outsiders make up the overwhelming majority of Wikimania attendees and Wikimedians.

(Apologies if I'm being an arse, but holding discussions that should be public on private mailing lists is a pet peeve of mine)

----
Harry Mitchell
Phone: 024 7698 0977

Re: [Internal-l] Wikimania 2012 Google Opening Reception at the Library of Congress

Andy Mabbett-2
On 23 June 2012 15:56,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have to admit the first thing I thought of when I saw this on thie schedule was the invite-only party at Boston. I think it is great, that the reception is opened up this Wikimania. I am excited about this event, really excited. Perhaps because it was such a surprise to me while I expected all the other great things planned. Not just because it will be fun, but because of the soft effects of having everyone connect at one event the night before the main schedule begins.

Not everyone. I for one won't have space in my luggage for non-jeans
attire; and anyway the event clashes with Wiki Loves libraries.

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing

On 23 June 2012 14:21, Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The dress code really isn't a excessive one (just smart trousers and a shirt, or a nice
> summer dress, would be fine by my understanding - there's no need for
> jackets and ties).

Maybe I'll wear a nice summer dress, then ;-)

> Who doesn't have something smart to wear to
> weddings, funeral, job interviews, first dates,
> church/synagogue/mosque/temple, etc.?

People tavelling between continents.

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing

On Sat, Jun 23, 2012 at 3:14 PM, Andy Mabbett <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 23 June 2012 15:56,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I have to admit the first thing I thought of when I saw this on thie schedule was the invite-only party at Boston. I think it is great, that the reception is opened up this Wikimania. I am excited about this event, really excited. Perhaps because it was such a surprise to me while I expected all the other great things planned. Not just because it will be fun, but because of the soft effects of having everyone connect at one event the night before the main schedule begins.
>
> Not everyone. I for one won't have space in my luggage for non-jeans
> attire; and anyway the event clashes with Wiki Loves libraries.

Wikipedia Loves Libraries ends at 16:00 and the Google Reception
begins at 19:00.

On 23 June 2012 20:15, Andy Mabbett <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Who doesn't have something smart to wear to
>> weddings, funeral, job interviews, first dates,
>> church/synagogue/mosque/temple, etc.?
>
> People tavelling between continents.

The point I was responding to was that people may not own suitable
clothes. That they are a burden to transport is a separate point.

Re: Wikimania 2012 Google Opening Reception at the Library of Congress

Cyriel Brusse

2012/6/23 Andy Mabbett <[hidden email]>
On 23 June 2012 14:21, Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The dress code really isn't a excessive one (just smart trousers and a shirt, or a nice
> summer dress, would be fine by my understanding - there's no need for
> jackets and ties).

Maybe I'll wear a nice summer dress, then ;-)

And because I don't have a dress (I actually don't own one), I should bring my wooden clogs? Hmmmm....
I'm going with Lodewijk on this one: stroopwafels all the way!

--
Vriendelijke groet,
Cyriel

On Jun 23, 2012 10:44 PM, "Cyriel Brusse" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> And because I don't have a dress (I actually don't own one), I should bring my wooden clogs? Hmmmm....
> I'm going with Lodewijk on this one: stroopwafels all the way!

If Lady Gaga can wear a dress of meat, I'm sure you can wear a dress of stroopwafels!

On Jun 23, 2012, at 2:14 PM, Andy Mabbett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 23 June 2012 15:56,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I have to admit the first thing I thought of when I saw this on thie schedule was the invite-only party at Boston. I think it is great, that the reception is opened up this Wikimania. I am excited about this event, really excited. Perhaps because it was such a surprise to me while I expected all the other great things planned. Not just because it will be fun, but because of the soft effects of having everyone connect at one event the night before the main schedule begins.
>
> Not everyone. I for one won't have space in my luggage for non-jeans
> attire; and anyway the event clashes with Wiki Loves libraries.

I meant this as opposed to the two tiered events at Boston.  Of course not everyone will attend, but when group A connects at one event and group B at a separate event the rest of the conference your first instinct is to recognize a face from your assigned group.

On a seperate note, you might want reconsider jeans. The heat, and especially the humidity, will make denim and heavyweight fabrics less than comfortable. I say this as someone who has spent a day no more than three feet from a toliet after insisting on wearing my "coolest" jeans to the neighborhood house tour (as much time indoors as out) and becoming overheated. If you are unaccustomed to what a difference high humidity makes at 90 degrees, please seriously look into travel websites and their clothing recommendations. D.C. was under a heat advisory just last week, and while we may luck out in July, I wouldn't count on it.  I doubt you want spend money on clothes shopping or cab rides because you are not prepared for the climate

Washington Post linked this summary in last week's article about the heat advisory:
capital-weather-gang/post/heat-wave-and-hot-weather-guide/2011/07/18/gIQA8K5bMI_blog.html

The key information from my experience with heat related illness: You get really hot and sweaty.  You lose your appetite and a significant amount of energy. >< You feel REALLY hot and your face turns beet red. (It feels like your face is an oven heating your surroundings rather than the opposite.) >< Your face turns pale and clammy. You stop sweating. You collapse.

Between the two >< marks, I act to get quickly into air-conditioning and cool off.  Sip water, but don't drink too much or it won't stay down. Then I might recover with little more than a headache, but sometimes I still might be sick.  If I get to the point were my face goes pale and clammy after it was bright red, I IMMEDIATELY get into A/C. I haven't collapse since I was ten but I have, too often, cursed myself for how far I pushed past my better judgement. If you notice the pale clammy after beet red stage happening to you or a companion, I recommend that wherever you are: stop, find A/C, call a cab, return to your lodgings.  You will not make it much further walking.

BirgitteSB