Wikimania 2012 Google Opening Reception at the Library of Congress

Wikimania 2012 Google Opening Reception at the Library of Congress

Deror Avi
So, what is the dress code? Suite, Tie, or just a nice buttoned shirt?
Deror

Re: Wikimania 2012 Google Opening Reception at the Library of Congress

Joseph Fox
Semi-formal, so I would think a shirt and trousers, probably with a tie, are a definite yes. If you have space for a suit then maybe that is a better pick.

Joe

On 24 Jun 2012, at 02:08, Deror Avi wrote:

So, what is the dress code? Suite, Tie, or just a nice buttoned shirt?
Deror

Re: Wikimania 2012 Google Opening Reception at the Library of Congress

Thomas Dalton
On 23 June 2012 19:12, Joseph Fox <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Semi-formal, so I would think a shirt and trousers, probably with a tie, are
> a definite yes. If you have space for a suit then maybe that is a better
> pick.

Can I suggest people avoid terms like "semi-formal"? It's so ambiguous
as to be meaningless. Black-tie is (well, was) sometimes described as
"informal evening wear" (with white-tie being formal), so
"semi-formal" could even describe something more formal than
black-tie. You're using it to mean something even less formal than a
lounge suit. That's a very wide range!

Unless you are setting a dress code that is clearly an unambiguously
defined (like "black-tie" or "morning wear"), then don't give it a
name. Just describe what you mean. I would describe the dress code the
organisers seem to be trying to go for as:

"Smart trousers and shirt, jacket and tie optional, for men. Similar,
or a smart dress for women. Equivalent national dress is also
welcome."

Re: Wikimania 2012 Google Opening Reception at the Library of Congress

James Hare
On Sat, Jun 23, 2012 at 2:27 PM, Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 23 June 2012 19:12, Joseph Fox <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Semi-formal, so I would think a shirt and trousers, probably with a tie, are
>> a definite yes. If you have space for a suit then maybe that is a better
>> pick.
>
> Can I suggest people avoid terms like "semi-formal"? It's so ambiguous
> as to be meaningless. Black-tie is (well, was) sometimes described as
> "informal evening wear" (with white-tie being formal), so
> "semi-formal" could even describe something more formal than
> black-tie. You're using it to mean something even less formal than a
> lounge suit. That's a very wide range!
>
> Unless you are setting a dress code that is clearly an unambiguously
> defined (like "black-tie" or "morning wear"), then don't give it a
> name. Just describe what you mean. I would describe the dress code the
> organisers seem to be trying to go for as:
>
> "Smart trousers and shirt, jacket and tie optional, for men. Similar,
> or a smart dress for women. Equivalent national dress is also
> welcome."

I think that describes exactly what we want. (And even if you can't,
you're still allowed to come.)

James Hare

Re: Wikimania 2012 Google Opening Reception at the Library of Congress

Federico Leva (Nemo)
Thomas Dalton, 23/06/2012 20:27:
> On 23 June 2012 19:12, Joseph Fox<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> Semi-formal, so I would think a shirt and trousers, probably with a tie, are
>> a definite yes. If you have space for a suit then maybe that is a better
>> pick.
>
> Can I suggest people avoid terms like "semi-formal"?

Quite hard as long as it's in the official event description. ;-)

James Hare, 23/06/2012 20:31:
 >> "Smart trousers and shirt, jacket and tie optional, for men. Similar,
 >> or a smart dress for women. Equivalent national dress is also
 >> welcome."
 >
 > I think that describes exactly what we want. (And even if you can't,
 > you're still allowed to come.)

How about updating
https://wikimania2012.wikimedia.org/wiki/Google_Reception then?

Nemo

On 23 June 2012 19:39, Federico Leva (Nemo) <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thomas Dalton, 23/06/2012 20:27:
>> Can I suggest people avoid terms like "semi-formal"?
>
> Quite hard as long as it's in the official event description. ;-)

By "people" I did primarily mean people writing official event descriptions!