Wikimania 2012 videos are being uploaded

Wikimania 2012 videos are being uploaded

James Hare
Hello again!

Videos of Wikimania 2012 sessions have begun making their way to YouTube. As videos are uploaded, they will be made available here: <http://www.youtube.com/user/wikimediadc>. If there is a lecture you want to see that has not been uploaded yet, it will be uploaded in the coming weeks.

Once we have all the videos, we will send hard drives of the videos off to the server farms for direct upload to Wikimedia Commons, with both low-resolution and full HD versions being made available.

Enjoy these videos! The presenters did a fantastic job and I know there were many sessions I wish I could've went to.

All the best,
James Hare
Coordinator, Wikimania 2012

Re: Wikimania 2012 videos are being uploaded

David Mugo
James,

Great work but I wish some of the videos were split by speakers, sitting down to watch a +1hour video sometimes is not that easy. All in all, thumbs up.

David.

On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 10:25 PM, James Hare <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello again!

Videos of Wikimania 2012 sessions have begun making their way to YouTube. As videos are uploaded, they will be made available here: <http://www.youtube.com/user/wikimediadc>. If there is a lecture you want to see that has not been uploaded yet, it will be uploaded in the coming weeks.

Once we have all the videos, we will send hard drives of the videos off to the server farms for direct upload to Wikimedia Commons, with both low-resolution and full HD versions being made available.

Enjoy these videos! The presenters did a fantastic job and I know there were many sessions I wish I could've went to.

All the best,
James Hare
Coordinator, Wikimania 2012

Re: Wikimania 2012 videos are being uploaded

James Alexander-4

On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 1:20 PM, David Mugo <[hidden email]> wrote:
James,

Great work but I wish some of the videos were split by speakers, sitting down to watch a +1hour video sometimes is not that easy. All in all, thumbs up.

David.

Yeah +1 to great work.

@David, It looks like most of the descriptions so far (You usually have to press 'read more')  explain what speakers are in each video and have links next to the description with the video time. If you click the link it jumps to that speaker which is very helpful.

James
--
James Alexander
Manager, Merchandise

Re: Wikimania 2012 videos are being uploaded

David Mugo
James,

Seen that already, but still difficult for anyone who would want do download the video... like I said, not a complain, just an observation.

David.

On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 11:26 PM, James Alexander <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 1:20 PM, David Mugo <[hidden email]> wrote:
James,

Great work but I wish some of the videos were split by speakers, sitting down to watch a +1hour video sometimes is not that easy. All in all, thumbs up.

David.

Yeah +1 to great work.

@David, It looks like most of the descriptions so far (You usually have to press 'read more')  explain what speakers are in each video and have links next to the description with the video time. If you click the link it jumps to that speaker which is very helpful.

James
--
James Alexander
Manager, Merchandise
Wikimedia Foundation
(415) 839-6885 x6716 @jamesofur

Re: Wikimania 2012 videos are being uploaded

Manuel Schneider-3
Am 21.08.2012 22:31, schrieb James Alexander:
> ahhh download yes that's fair :)

is there a way to download these videos?

/Manuel
--
Regards
Manuel Schneider

www.wikimedia.ch

Re: Wikimania 2012 videos are being uploaded

David Mugo
Manuel,

I use clipconverter.cc to download YouTube videos, they have really nice extensions for firefox, try it.

David.

On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 11:33 PM, Manuel Schneider <[hidden email]> wrote:
Am 21.08.2012 22:31, schrieb James Alexander:
> ahhh download yes that's fair :)

is there a way to download these videos?

/Manuel
--
Regards
Manuel Schneider

www.wikimedia.ch

Re: Wikimania 2012 videos are being uploaded

James Hare
There are unofficial ways to download videos from YouTube, but it may be better to wait until the videos are available on Wikimedia Commons.

On Aug 21, 2012, at 4:33 PM, Manuel Schneider wrote:

> Am 21.08.2012 22:31, schrieb James Alexander:
>> ahhh download yes that's fair :)
>
> is there a way to download these videos?
>

> /Manuel
> --
> Regards
> Manuel Schneider
>
> Wikimedia CH - Verein zur Förderung Freien Wissens
> Wikimedia CH - Association for the advancement of free knowledge
> www.wikimedia.ch

Re: Wikimania 2012 videos are being uploaded

Manuel Schneider-3
Thanks David and James!

That's great.

Am 21.08.2012 22:34, schrieb James Hare:
> There are unofficial ways to download videos from YouTube, but it may be better to wait until the videos are available on Wikimedia Commons.

/Manuel
--
Regards
Manuel Schneider

www.wikimedia.ch

Re: Wikimania 2012 videos are being uploaded

Maarten Dammers
Thanks for posting these!
What did you use to make http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Lr8voYs9zQ&feature=plcp ? The slides are all f**cked up :-(

Op 21-8-2012 21:25, James Hare schreef:
Hello again!

Videos of Wikimania 2012 sessions have begun making their way to YouTube. As videos are uploaded, they will be made available here: <http://www.youtube.com/user/wikimediadc>. If there is a lecture you want to see that has not been uploaded yet, it will be uploaded in the coming weeks.

Once we have all the videos, we will send hard drives of the videos off to the server farms for direct upload to Wikimedia Commons, with both low-resolution and full HD versions being made available.

Enjoy these videos! The presenters did a fantastic job and I know there were many sessions I wish I could've went to.

All the best,
James Hare
Coordinator, Wikimania 2012

Re: Wikimania 2012 videos are being uploaded

Michael Peel-4

> Once we have all the videos, we will send hard drives of the videos off to the server farms for direct upload to Wikimedia Commons, with both low-resolution and full HD versions being made available.

It says a lot about the state of the Wikimedia Commons upload system that even the WMF ends up uploading videos to Youtube in advance of posting them on a website that it operates. :-(

Thanks,
Mike

Re: Wikimania 2012 videos are being uploaded

Thomas Dalton
On 21 August 2012 22:10, Michael Peel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> It says a lot about the state of the Wikimedia Commons upload system that even the WMF ends up uploading videos to Youtube in advance of posting them on a website that it operates. :-(

Youtube is specifically designed for sharing videos. Commons isn't.

Re: Wikimania 2012 videos are being uploaded

James Hare
It also allows for videos to be made immediately. YouTube's upload interface is flawless. Wikimedia Commons is problematic for bulk upload. Thankfully, we are an hour away from the Ashburn, Virginia data center, but we are waiting until we have all the videos before handing the hard drives off to the Wikimedia Foundation.

On Aug 21, 2012, at 5:22 PM, Thomas Dalton wrote:

> On 21 August 2012 22:10, Michael Peel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> It says a lot about the state of the Wikimedia Commons upload system that even the WMF ends up uploading videos to Youtube in advance of posting them on a website that it operates. :-(
>
> Youtube is specifically designed for sharing videos. Commons isn't.

Re: Wikimania 2012 videos are being uploaded

Nicholas Michael Bashour
2012/8/21 Michael Peel <[hidden email]>

It says a lot about the state of the Wikimedia Commons upload system that even the WMF ends up uploading videos to Youtube in advance of posting them on a website that it operates. :-(

Thanks,
Mike

WMF isn't the one who's uploading the videos, but rather WMDC.

--

Nicholas Michael Bashour

President | Wikimedia District of Columbia

PO Box 9822  Washington, DC  20016

+1 (313) 377 - 4589|@NMichaelBashour|[hidden email]

On 21 Aug 2012, at 22:41, Nicholas Michael Bashour <[hidden email]> wrote:

2012/8/21 Michael Peel <[hidden email]>

It says a lot about the state of the Wikimedia Commons upload system that even the WMF ends up uploading videos to Youtube in advance of posting them on a website that it operates. :-(

Thanks,
Mike

WMF isn't the one who's uploading the videos, but rather WMDC.

Ah, sorry, my bad.

Mike

Re: Wikimania 2012 videos are being uploaded

Shujen Chang
Great!

On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 5:45 AM, Michael Peel <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 21 Aug 2012, at 22:41, Nicholas Michael Bashour <[hidden email]> wrote:

2012/8/21 Michael Peel <[hidden email]>

It says a lot about the state of the Wikimedia Commons upload system that even the WMF ends up uploading videos to Youtube in advance of posting them on a website that it operates. :-(

Thanks,
Mike

WMF isn't the one who's uploading the videos, but rather WMDC.

Ah, sorry, my bad.

Mike

Sincerely,
Shujen Chang