Wikimania 2012 videos are being uploaded

Re: Wikimania 2012 videos are being uploaded

Joseph Fox
I think uploading several dozen hours of HD video would take an awfully long time. Even on DC Internet. ;)

Joe

Sent from my iPhone

On 22 Aug 2012, at 05:34, Shujen Chang <[hidden email]> wrote:

It seems the highest quality is 480p, no 720p available?

On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 12:25 PM, Shujen Chang <[hidden email]> wrote:
Great!

On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 5:45 AM, Michael Peel <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 21 Aug 2012, at 22:41, Nicholas Michael Bashour <[hidden email]> wrote:

2012/8/21 Michael Peel <[hidden email]>

It says a lot about the state of the Wikimedia Commons upload system that even the WMF ends up uploading videos to Youtube in advance of posting them on a website that it operates. :-(

Thanks,
Mike

WMF isn't the one who's uploading the videos, but rather WMDC.

Ah, sorry, my bad.

Mike

Sincerely,
Shujen Chang

--
Sincerely,
Shujen Chang

Re: Wikimania 2012 videos are being uploaded

Joseph Fox
Personally I never watch YouTube videos at anything higher than 480. If anything I go down to 360. Maybe Scotland's Internet is to blame there. ;)

Joe

Sent from my iPhone

On 22 Aug 2012, at 10:58, Shujen Chang <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Graham Pearce-3
Thanks for these videos ... they're awesome! :-)

There's a minor typo in the title of this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X39fQMRpDhQ&feature=plcp
"Wikmania" should be "Wikimania".

Regards, Graham

On 22/08/2012 3:25 AM, James Hare wrote:
Hello again!

Videos of Wikimania 2012 sessions have begun making their way to YouTube. As videos are uploaded, they will be made available here: <http://www.youtube.com/user/wikimediadc>. If there is a lecture you want to see that has not been uploaded yet, it will be uploaded in the coming weeks.

Once we have all the videos, we will send hard drives of the videos off to the server farms for direct upload to Wikimedia Commons, with both low-resolution and full HD versions being made available.

Enjoy these videos! The presenters did a fantastic job and I know there were many sessions I wish I could've went to.

All the best,
James Hare
Coordinator, Wikimania 2012

Re: Wikimania 2012 videos are being uploaded

Arnav Sonara
Hey,

Thanks for the videos, one question though. Any plans for collectively releasing the photographs anywhere?
Category:Wikimania 2012 does have plenty of pictures, but all are by Volunteers. Any place where one could find the photos of Official Conference Photographers?

Thanks.

On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 8:37 PM, James Hare <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thanks
Arnav (ricku).

(User:Rangilo_Gujarati)

Re: Wikimania 2012 videos are being uploaded

Federico Leva (Nemo)
Arnav Sonara, 22/08/2012 19:53:
> Thanks for the videos, one question though. Any plans for collectively
> releasing the photographs anywhere?
> Category:Wikimania 2012 does have plenty of pictures, but all are by
> Volunteers. Any place where one could find the photos of Official
> Conference Photographers?

Apparently they've already been published but they're very few:
<https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:ListFiles/Lisa_N_Marrs>
I've not checked the very last uploads though:
<http://toolserver.org/~magnus/catscan_rewrite.php?language=commons&project=wikimedia&depth=15&categories=Wikimania+2012&ns%5B6%5D=1&sortby=uploaddate&sortorder=descending&ext_image_data=1&x=x&doit=1>

Nemo

Re: Wikimania 2012 videos are being uploaded

James Hare
We only hired official conference photography for the group pictures and the Google Opening Reception.

James

On Aug 22, 2012, at 1:59 PM, Federico Leva (Nemo) wrote:

> Arnav Sonara, 22/08/2012 19:53:
>> Thanks for the videos, one question though. Any plans for collectively
>> releasing the photographs anywhere?
>> Category:Wikimania 2012 does have plenty of pictures, but all are by
>> Volunteers. Any place where one could find the photos of Official
>> Conference Photographers?
>
> Apparently they've already been published but they're very few: <https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:ListFiles/Lisa_N_Marrs>
> I've not checked the very last uploads though: <http://toolserver.org/~magnus/catscan_rewrite.php?language=commons&project=wikimedia&depth=15&categories=Wikimania+2012&ns%5B6%5D=1&sortby=uploaddate&sortorder=descending&ext_image_data=1&x=x&doit=1>
>
> Nemo

Re: Wikimania 2012 videos are being uploaded

Sven Manguard
Well someone "official" was around during the other days. I know because his behavior vis-a-vis respecting people's wishes not to be photographed was problematic. It definitely wasn't the opening or last day either. Did the WMF hire people?

Sven

On Aug 22, 2012, at 2:20 PM, James Hare <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We only hired official conference photography for the group pictures and the Google Opening Reception.
>

> James
>

> On Aug 22, 2012, at 1:59 PM, Federico Leva (Nemo) wrote:
>
>> Arnav Sonara, 22/08/2012 19:53:
>>> Thanks for the videos, one question though. Any plans for collectively
>>> releasing the photographs anywhere?
>>> Category:Wikimania 2012 does have plenty of pictures, but all are by
>>> Volunteers. Any place where one could find the photos of Official
>>> Conference Photographers?
>>
>> Apparently they've already been published but they're very few: <https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:ListFiles/Lisa_N_Marrs>
>> I've not checked the very last uploads though: <http://toolserver.org/~magnus/catscan_rewrite.php?language=commons&project=wikimedia&depth=15&categories=Wikimania+2012&ns%5B6%5D=1&sortby=uploaddate&sortorder=descending&ext_image_data=1&x=x&doit=1>
>>
>> Nemo

Re: Wikimania 2012 videos are being uploaded

Sage Ross
On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 2:31 PM, Sven <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Well someone "official" was around during the other days. I know because his behavior vis-a-vis respecting people's wishes not to be photographed was problematic. It definitely wasn't the opening or last day either. Did the WMF hire people?
>
> Sven

I think the same photographer who took the group photo was also
working for the WMF storyteller team, making portraits of the people
who told their stories. But I don't think any of that stuff has gone
to Commons, as far as I've seen. I'm not sure how much he was active
shooting other stuff besides those portraits, or whether or when any
of that will show up.

-Sage

Re: Wikimania 2012 videos are being uploaded

Sven Manguard
The incidents in question all happened near the elevators in front of the ballroom where Hackathon was held.

Sven

On Aug 22, 2012, at 2:36 PM, Sage Ross <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 2:31 PM, Sven <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Well someone "official" was around during the other days. I know because his behavior vis-a-vis respecting people's wishes not to be photographed was problematic. It definitely wasn't the opening or last day either. Did the WMF hire people?
>>
>> Sven
>>

> I think the same photographer who took the group photo was also
> working for the WMF storyteller team, making portraits of the people
> who told their stories. But I don't think any of that stuff has gone
> to Commons, as far as I've seen. I'm not sure how much he was active
> shooting other stuff besides those portraits, or whether or when any
> of that will show up.
>
> -Sage

Re: Wikimania 2012 videos are being uploaded

Federico Leva (Nemo)
Just in case someone hadn't noticed the status of this, about half of
the "slots" have been covered/uploaded.

Nemo