Wikimania 2016 - Jury Announcement and Start of Bidding

Wikimania 2016 - Jury Announcement and Start of Bidding

Manuel Schneider-3
Dear Wikimedians,

Wikimania is the global, annual conference of the Wikimedia movement,
organised by the Wikimedia community. Organizing team and location are
chosen by a jury in a public bidding process.

Due to the growing requirements and complexity for this growing
conference the Wikimania Committee decided to revise the bidding
timeline to give more time to prepare the conference.

Here it is:
* https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2016_bid_selection_timeline

== Jury ==
The Wikimania Committee is pleased to announce the jury for Wikimania 2016:

Richard Symonds
Stuart Prior
Claudia Garad
Esteban Zarate
Daniel Bryant
Finne Boonen
Ellie Young

== Accepting Bids ==
We invite anyone in our community to  submit a proposal for Wikimania
2016 on Meta Wiki:
* https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2016_bids

Please consult the timeline and Judging Criteria that are posted at:
* https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2016_bids

The deadline for bids is November 15, 23:59 UTC. You should setup a
bidding page and contact Ellie Young, WMF Conference Coordinator before
the deadline. She will help you prepare your bid. All bids which have
been confirmed until November 15 will be considered by the jury, others
will be dismissed.

Subsequently there will be a two week period where the community can
comment and offer feedback on the proposal.

In December your team must be available for conference calls with the
jury, after deliberations the host for Wikimania 2016 will be announced
by the end of 2014.

On behalf of the Wikimania Committee with regards,

Manuel
--
Manuel Schneider - Chief Information Officer
Lausanne, +41 (21) 340 66 22 - www.wikimedia.ch

Re: Wikimania 2016 - Jury Announcement and Start of Bidding

Itzik - Wikimedia Israel
Hey Manuel,

Can you elaborate more on how the current jury was elected and by who?

Correct me, but beside Richard Sydmonds - all the members of this year jury are new? there is not continuity in the jury?

Itzik

Regards,
Itzik Edri
Chairperson, Wikimedia Israel
+972-(0)-54-5878078 | http://www.wikimedia.org.il
Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. That's our commitment!

On Sat, Sep 20, 2014 at 11:34 AM, Manuel Schneider <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Lausanne, <a href="tel:%2B41%20%2821%29%20340%2066%2022" value="+41213406622">+41 (21) 340 66 22 - www.wikimedia.ch

Re: Wikimania 2016 - Jury Announcement and Start of Bidding

Muzammil Wikipedian

Like Itzik I too would like to know how the jury was selected. Also, it will be great if someone could shed light on the profiles of the members.

Regards,

Muzammil (User:Hindustanilanguage)

At 29 Sep 2014 08:17:50 +0000 (UTC) from Itzik - Wikimedia Israel <[hidden email]>:

[...]

Joseph Fox
It looks like at least two are London organisers, and two are Mexico organisers (correct me if I’m wrong on that one). One is (of course) Ellie, Daniel is an Australian Wikipedian of more than eight years, and a cursory Google reveals Finne Boonen is a Dutch attendee of three previous Wikimanias and open-source advocate.

It all comes down to who applies and what the Committee are looking for in a jury.

Joe

On 29 September 2014 at 11:21:51 am, Muzammil Wikipedian ([hidden email]) wrote:

Hi,

[...]

Sent with Airmail

Re: Wikimania 2016 - Jury Announcement and Start of Bidding

Stuart Prior
Hi Itzik/Muzammil/Joseph,

Some people won't need to but I can introduce myself if it saves time.

I was the "Wikimania Liaison" for Wikimania 2014 here in London. I worked on the conference for 11 months, covering logistical aspects and working closely with the London bid team to make sure that they had the facilities they needed to deliver the programme.
From this quite intense experience, I have a good understanding of the mistakes that can be made in a bid process, the practical considerations of hosting an international conference, and the types of things the community wants out of a Wikimania.

I have a professional background in finance, project-management and conferences, and I currently work in a fundraising capacity for Wikimedia UK.
I started editing when I started working for Wikimedia in 2013 (user: battleofalma) , so I'm not an experienced Wikipedian, but I'm slowly getting there.

Speaking slightly on Richard Symond's behalf, his inclusion is based more on his jury experience and community involvement more so than his Wikimania experience, as he wasn't part of the organising team for Wikimania 2014 (though in its execution he did work incredibly hard as did most of the Wikimedia UK staff).

Best

On 29 September 2014 11:21, Muzammil Wikipedian <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

[...]

Wikimania Liaison
Wikimedia UK
+44 20 7065 0990

Wikimedia UK is a Company Limited by Guarantee registered in England and Wales, Registered No. 6741827. Registered Charity No.1144513. Registered Office 4th Floor, Development House, 56-64 Leonard Street, London EC2A 4LT. United Kingdom. Wikimedia UK is the UK chapter of a global Wikimedia movement. The Wikimedia projects are run by the Wikimedia Foundation (who operate Wikipedia, amongst other projects).

Wikimedia UK is an independent non-profit charity with no legal control over Wikipedia nor responsibility for its contents.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimania 2016 - Jury Announcement and Start of Bidding

Béria Lima
I also would like to know the answer to Itzik question:

" Can you elaborate more on how the current jury was elected and by who?"

_____
Béria L
​. de Rodríguez

Imagine um mundo onde é dada a qualquer pessoa a possibilidade de ter livre acesso ao somatório de todo o conhecimento humano. Ajude-nos a construir esse sonho.

Wikimedia-l@...

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimania 2016 - Jury Announcement and Start of Bidding

Béria Lima
It also makes me wonder how hard whoever "elected" the jury worked to find interested unpaid volunteers as opposed to employees who are part of the normal professional networks.

​I might be wrong, but I didnt saw a mail with a call for volunteers to compose the jury like they do every year. ​(I do might had missed though so is better if Manuel or Ellie answers.)

_____

On 29 September 2014 14:45, Béria Lima <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I also would like to know the answer to Itzik question:
>
> " Can you elaborate more on how the current jury was elected and by who?"
>> > Richard Symonds
>> > Stuart Prior
>> > Claudia Garad
>> > Esteban Zarate
>> > Daniel Bryant
>> > Finne Boonen
>> > Ellie Young

Could someone point to a profile of the jury members? It is incredibly
hard to see who has been an employee of the WMF or Chapters unless you
happen to know people personally. However, I believe I am correct in
saying that only the minority of the jury has never been a paid
employee, which may not be the best thing for a conference aimed at
unpaid volunteers.

It also makes me wonder how hard whoever "elected" the jury worked to
find interested unpaid volunteers as opposed to employees who are part
of the normal professional networks.

Fae

Wikimedia-l@...

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimania 2016 - Jury Announcement and Start of Bidding

Ellie Young
We have a system that works for jury selection.   What I would STRONGLY like to encourage people in the community to do is seek out prospective people who would be good hosts and work with me on preparing a bid.   That is is our biggest need!  The CFP was posted earlier this month.

Thank you all.

Ellie

On Sep 29, 2014, at 7:18 AM, Béria Lima <[hidden email]> wrote:

It also makes me wonder how hard whoever "elected" the jury worked to find interested unpaid volunteers as opposed to employees who are part of the normal professional networks.

​I might be wrong, but I didnt saw a mail with a call for volunteers to compose the jury like they do every year. ​(I do might had missed though so is better if Manuel or Ellie answers.)

_____
Béria L
​. de Rodríguez

Imagine um mundo onde é dada a qualquer pessoa a possibilidade de ter livre acesso ao somatório de todo o conhecimento humano. Ajude-nos a construir esse sonho.

On 29 September 2014 14:45, Béria Lima <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I also would like to know the answer to Itzik question:
>
> " Can you elaborate more on how the current jury was elected and by who?"
>> > Richard Symonds
>> > Stuart Prior
>> > Claudia Garad
>> > Esteban Zarate
>> > Daniel Bryant
>> > Finne Boonen
>> > Ellie Young

Could someone point to a profile of the jury members? It is incredibly
hard to see who has been an employee of the WMF or Chapters unless you
happen to know people personally. However, I believe I am correct in
saying that only the minority of the jury has never been a paid
employee, which may not be the best thing for a conference aimed at
unpaid volunteers.

It also makes me wonder how hard whoever "elected" the jury worked to
find interested unpaid volunteers as opposed to employees who are part
of the normal professional networks.

Fae

Wikimedia-l@...

Re: Wikimania 2016 - Jury Announcement and Start of Bidding

Claudia Garád
Hi there,

I want to follow Stuart's example and briefly introduce myself as a
member of this year's jury:

My name is Claudia Garád, I am the Executive Director of Wikimedia
Austria (WMAT) and attended the Wikimanias in Hong Kong and London in
this context. However, I will volunteer for this commitee in my personal
capacity (not WMAT representative) and free time.

Before I started working for the movement, I was Head of Marketing and
Communications of a major science institute in Germany. Event- and
project-management was a substantial part of my tasks and team and we
organized national and international conferences on a regular basis.

I applied for the jury because I think Wikimania is a great and and
important event for our movement - but I am also aware of the scepticism
of parts of the broader movement in general and our Austrian community
in particular regarding the development and future of Wikimania. By
offering the experience and expertise I gathered inside and outside of
the movement, I hope I can contribute my share to a Wikimania 2016 that
will be beneficial for all our various stakeholders.

Best

Claudia

Am 29.09.2014 13:40, schrieb [hidden email]:

> [...]
>>> bidding page and contact Ellie Young, WMF Conference Coordinator before
>>> the deadline. She will help you prepare your bid. All bids which have
>>> been confirmed until November 15 will be considered by the jury, others
>>> will be dismissed.
>>>
>>> Subsequently there will be a two week period where the community can
>>> comment and offer feedback on the proposal.
>>>
>>> In December your team must be available for conference calls with the
>>> jury, after deliberations the host for Wikimania 2016 will be announced
>>> by the end of 2014.
>>>
>>> On behalf of the Wikimania Committee with regards,
>>>

>>> Manuel
>>> --
>>> Manuel Schneider - Chief Information Officer
>>> Wikimedia CH - Verein zur Förderung Freien Wissens
>>> Lausanne, +41 (21) 340 66 22 - www.wikimedia.ch

Re: Wikimania 2016 - Jury Announcement and Start of Bidding

Federico Leva (Nemo)
Joseph Fox, 29/09/2014 13:01:
> It looks like at least two are London organisers, and two are Mexico
> organisers (correct me if I’m wrong on that one). One is (of course)
> Ellie, Daniel is an Australian Wikipedian of more than eight years, and
> a cursory Google reveals Finne Boonen is a Dutch attendee of three
> previous Wikimanias and open-source advocate.
>
> It all comes down to who applies and what the Committee are looking for
> in a jury.

And it makes sense that applications were from people fresh of Wikimania
passion. Also, maybe folks are confused by the real names: I think
everyone knows henna and her involvement in Wikimania.

Nemo

Re: Wikimania 2016 - Jury Announcement and Start of Bidding

Finne Boonen-2
On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 1:01 PM, Joseph Fox <[hidden email]> wrote:
It looks like at least two are London organisers, and two are Mexico organisers (correct me if I’m wrong on that one). One is (of course) Ellie, Daniel is an Australian Wikipedian of more than eight years, and a cursory Google reveals Finne Boonen is a Dutch attendee of three previous Wikimanias and open-source advocate.

Hi,

I've actually attended 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 (co-organiser), 2011 and 2014.

I'm a long-time wikimedian with a focus that's a bit all over the place, I've been a admin on nl.wp, I've worked on a few anti-vandalism tools, I've done some data-analysis and organized a few events (2014 Amsterdam Hackathon, local Dutch/Belgian meetups and last minute Wikimania Gdansk).

I'm a Belgian transplant in the Netherlands living there with my husband and our cat. I previously lived in Iceland.  I studied computer science and  am currently wrapping up my masters degree (IT management) while working full time. My professional background is in data and information analysis.

Finne (aka [[nl:user:henna]])

Re: Wikimania 2016 - Jury Announcement and Start of Bidding

Ivan Martínez
Dear Joseph: nobody from Mexico 2015 team and/or mexican wikimedian are on the jury. Esteban is argentinian.
Regards.

[...]

Atentamente:

Iván Martínez
Presidente
Wikimedia México A.C.
wikimedia.mx

Imagina un mundo en donde cada persona del planeta pueda tener acceso libre a la suma total del conocimiento humano.
Eso es lo que estamos haciendo.

Re: Wikimania 2016 - Jury Announcement and Start of Bidding

Michael Peel-2
Thank you, Claudia and everyone else that has volunteered for the jury. :-) Following up on one of the points you mentioned:

On 29 Sep 2014, at 16:49, Claudia Garád <[hidden email]> wrote:

> My name is Claudia Garád, I am the Executive Director of Wikimedia Austria (WMAT) and attended the Wikimanias in Hong Kong and London in this context. However, I will volunteer for this commitee in my personal capacity (not WMAT representative) and free time.

Since so many members of the jury this time around are also employees of a Wikimedia organisation, I’d like to ask whether all jury members are serving as volunteers, or if any are serving on the jury in their roles as Wikimedia employees?

Thanks,
Mike

Re: Wikimania 2016 - Jury Announcement and Start of Bidding

Richard Symonds-3

I'll be volunteering!

On 29 Sep 2014 23:06, "Michael Peel" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thank you, Claudia and everyone else that has volunteered for the jury. :-) Following up on one of the points you mentioned:

On 29 Sep 2014, at 16:49, Claudia Garád <[hidden email]> wrote:

> My name is Claudia Garád, I am the Executive Director of Wikimedia Austria (WMAT) and attended the Wikimanias in Hong Kong and London in this context. However, I will volunteer for this commitee in my personal capacity (not WMAT representative) and free time.

Since so many members of the jury this time around are also employees of a Wikimedia organisation, I’d like to ask whether all jury members are serving as volunteers, or if any are serving on the jury in their roles as Wikimedia employees?

Thanks,
Mike

Re: Wikimania 2016 - Jury Announcement and Start of Bidding

Esteban Zarate
Hello, I am Esteban Zarate. I'm an argentinian teacher. In wiki project I am admin on eswiki, eswikinews, eswikibooks and commons. I am board member of Wikimedia Argentina.
I attended Wikimania on 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014
Thanks

I'll be volunteering!

On 29 Sep 2014 23:06, "Michael Peel" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thank you, Claudia and everyone else that has volunteered for the jury. :-) Following up on one of the points you mentioned:

On 29 Sep 2014, at 16:49, Claudia Garád <[hidden email]> wrote:

> My name is Claudia Garád, I am the Executive Director of Wikimedia Austria (WMAT) and attended the Wikimanias in Hong Kong and London in this context. However, I will volunteer for this commitee in my personal capacity (not WMAT representative) and free time.

Since so many members of the jury this time around are also employees of a Wikimedia organisation, I’d like to ask whether all jury members are serving as volunteers, or if any are serving on the jury in their roles as Wikimedia employees?

Thanks,
Mike

Re: Wikimania 2016 - Jury Announcement and Start of Bidding

Stuart Prior
Mike,

Yes, this is volunteering. I really loved working on Wikimania and wanted to stay involved in subsequent Wikimanias and this was a good way to do it.

Regards

On 29 September 2014 23:45, Esteban Zarate <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello, I am Esteban Zarate. I'm an argentinian teacher. In wiki project I am admin on eswiki, eswikinews, eswikibooks and commons. I am board member of Wikimedia Argentina.
I attended Wikimania on 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014
Thanks

I'll be volunteering!

On 29 Sep 2014 23:06, "Michael Peel" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thank you, Claudia and everyone else that has volunteered for the jury. :-) Following up on one of the points you mentioned:

On 29 Sep 2014, at 16:49, Claudia Garád <[hidden email]> wrote:

> My name is Claudia Garád, I am the Executive Director of Wikimedia Austria (WMAT) and attended the Wikimanias in Hong Kong and London in this context. However, I will volunteer for this commitee in my personal capacity (not WMAT representative) and free time.

Since so many members of the jury this time around are also employees of a Wikimedia organisation, I’d like to ask whether all jury members are serving as volunteers, or if any are serving on the jury in their roles as Wikimedia employees?

Thanks,
Mike

Stuart Prior
Fundraiser

On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 12:06 AM, Michael Peel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thank you, Claudia and everyone else that has volunteered for the jury. :-) Following up on one of the points you mentioned:

Since so many members of the jury this time around are also employees of a Wikimedia organisation, I’d like to ask whether all jury members are serving as volunteers, or if any are serving on the jury in their roles as Wikimedia employees?

I'm volunteering.

Finne

Re: Wikimania 2016 - Jury Announcement and Start of Bidding

Ellie Young
For clarity sake, I am the only person who is paid by the WMF as conference coordinator.  Everyone else on the jury is a volunteer.  My major task here is to  "herd the jury" :-)

Ellie

PS If anyone else wants to volunteer for helping with Wikimania 2015, please email me!  We are always seeking volunteers.