Wikimania 2017 Social Telegram group

Siebrand Mazeland-2
If you like Telegram better than IRC, and you want to stay in touch during the Wikimania days, you could consider joining the unofficial Wikimania 2017 Social group on Telegram.

In this group, the code of conduct for Wikimedia technical spaces is in effect. No idea what that means? Better read it first: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Code_of_Conduct

If you take issue with anything that happens in the channel, please contact a channel administrator.

Cheers!

Siebrand

--
Siebrand Mazeland
Kitano ICT

M: +31 6 50 69 1239
Skype: siebrand

Re: Wikimania 2017 Social Telegram group

Florence Devouard-2
I can't find it/access to it. Can you help ?

Thanks

Florence

Sent from my smartphone

On 8 Aug 2017, at 15:09, Siebrand Mazeland <[hidden email]> wrote:

If you like Telegram better than IRC, and you want to stay in touch during the Wikimania days, you could consider joining the unofficial Wikimania 2017 Social group on Telegram.

In this group, the code of conduct for Wikimedia technical spaces is in effect. No idea what that means? Better read it first: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Code_of_Conduct

If you take issue with anything that happens in the channel, please contact a channel administrator.

Cheers!

Siebrand

--
Siebrand Mazeland
Kitano ICT

M: +31 6 50 69 1239
Skype: siebrand

Re: Wikimania 2017 Social Telegram group

Siebrand Mazeland-2
If you're having trouble connecting to the channel, please try again once. If that fails  again, please contact me in a private message (@siebrand) and I'll try to help you out.

Please be aware I'm on the wiki train from New York to Montreal at the moment and may not have a stellar internet connection (or maybe Netflix's 3% is too captivating) if you have to wait before I respond for a bit...

Cheers!

--
Siebrand

Op 8 aug. 2017 om 09:17 heeft Florence <[hidden email]> het volgende geschreven:

[...]

Rohini Lakshané
Hi Florence,

The handle is @Wikimania2017.

Regards,
Rohini

On Aug 8, 2017 09:17, "Florence" <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Vahid Masrour
Thanks Rohini! That's the information i needed.

Vahid.

On Tue, Aug 8, 2017 at 8:31 AM, Rohini Lakshané <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Community Capacity Manager, Wikipedia Education Program

Re: Wikimania 2017 Social Telegram group

Freddy2001
Which is the correct group?
@Wikimania2017 or @Wikimania2017Social ?
Freddy

> I just found a @Wikimania2017Social as well...
>
> On Aug 8, 2017 10:55, "Vahid Masrour" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks Rohini! That's the information i needed.
>>
>> Vahid.
>>
>> On Tue, Aug 8, 2017 at 8:31 AM, Rohini Lakshané
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Florence,
>>>
>>> The handle is @Wikimania2017.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Rohini

>> --
>> Vahid Masrour
>> Community Capacity Manager, Wikipedia Education Program
>> [hidden email]
>> https://outreach.wikimedia.org/wiki/Education

Re: Wikimania 2017 Social Telegram group

Siebrand Mazeland-2
 @Wikimania2017Social

Siebrand
> Op 8 aug. 2017 om 13:21 heeft Freddy2001 <[hidden email]> het volgende geschreven:
>
> @Wikimania2017Social

Re: Wikimania 2017 Social Telegram group

Freddy2001
Is it possible to delete the wrong group? Two groups are just confusing…
Freddy2001

>  @Wikimania2017Social
>
> Siebrand
>> Op 8 aug. 2017 om 13:21 heeft Freddy2001 <[hidden email]> het volgende geschreven:
>>
>> @Wikimania2017Social

Re: Wikimania 2017 Social Telegram group

Amir E. Aharoni
My understanding is that "Wikimania2017" is the serious "please no unnecessary off topic messages" group, and "Wikimania2017Social" is the "have fun and write whatever" group. (And in both, of course, the Code of Conduct is in effect.)

http://aharoni.wordpress.com
‪“We're living in pieces,
I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬

Is it possible to delete the wrong group? Two groups are just confusing…
Freddy2001

>  @Wikimania2017Social
>
> Siebrand
>> Op 8 aug. 2017 om 13:21 heeft Freddy2001 <[hidden email]> het volgende geschreven:
>>
>> @Wikimania2017Social

Re: Wikimania 2017 Social Telegram group

Pine W
Thanks for experimenting with a new communications tool. However, I'm confused about how the technical code of conduct could apply to Wikimania channels. It seems to me that a code of conduct that should apply would be one for WMF non-technical events, which is described here: https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Friendly_space_policy. Although Wikimania has technical elements, and I imagine that some sessions which focus on technical matters could also be covered by TCC, Wikimania as a whole isn't first and foremost a technical event.

Pine

On Tue, Aug 8, 2017 at 11:02 AM, Amir E. Aharoni <[hidden email]> wrote:
My understanding is that "Wikimania2017" is the serious "please no unnecessary off topic messages" group, and "Wikimania2017Social" is the "have fun and write whatever" group. (And in both, of course, the Code of Conduct is in effect.)

http://aharoni.wordpress.com
‪“We're living in pieces,
I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬

Is it possible to delete the wrong group? Two groups are just confusing…
Freddy2001

>  @Wikimania2017Social
>
> Siebrand
>> Op 8 aug. 2017 om 13:21 heeft Freddy2001 <[hidden email]> het volgende geschreven:
>>
>> @Wikimania2017Social

Re: Wikimania 2017 Social Telegram group

Andrew Lih-2
Correct - let's work with those guidelines so that Wikimania 2017 channel is higher signal. Thanks.

On Tue, Aug 8, 2017 at 2:03 PM Amir E. Aharoni <[hidden email]> wrote:
My understanding is that "Wikimania2017" is the serious "please no unnecessary off topic messages" group, and "Wikimania2017Social" is the "have fun and write whatever" group. (And in both, of course, the Code of Conduct is in effect.)

http://aharoni.wordpress.com
‪“We're living in pieces,
I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬

Is it possible to delete the wrong group? Two groups are just confusing…
Freddy2001

>  @Wikimania2017Social
>
> Siebrand
>> Op 8 aug. 2017 om 13:21 heeft Freddy2001 <[hidden email]> het volgende geschreven:
>>
>> @Wikimania2017Social

-Andrew Lih
Associate professor of journalism, American University
US National Archives Citizen Archivist of the Year (2016)
Knight Foundation grant recipient - Wikipedia Space (2015)
Wikimedia DC - Outreach and GLAM
---
BOOK: The Wikipedia Revolution: http://www.wikipediarevolution.com

cs

Re: Wikimania 2017 Social Telegram group

Matthew Flaschen-2
The Friendly Space Policy (https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Friendly_space_policy) applies to all of Wikimania, including the hackathon and online event channels.

The Code of Conduct for technical spaces (https://mediawiki.org/wiki/Code_of_Conduct) applies to additional spaces, including the entire hackathon and "Wikimedia technical presentations in other events" ("other events" includes Wikimania).

Bottom line, at Wikimania: Please always be respectful, the FSP always applies, follow the applicable policies.

Matt Flaschen