Wikimania 2018 call for submissions is now open

Wikimania 2018 call for submissions is now open

Leila Zia
Hi all,

Below you can find the call for submissions for Wikimania 2018 which
will take place in Cape Town, South Africa on July 18-22. One of the
topical areas in the call for submissions is Research and Academia, if
you're doing research on Wikimedia projects you may want to consider
submitting your research. Note that the deadline is March 18, 2018.

I understand that many of you on this list may have not considered
submitting your research to Wikimania in the past. If you're in doubt,
please ping and I'd be happy to share my experience presenting in the
past few years. :)

Best,
Leila

-------------------

On 5 February 2018 at 07:21, Liam Wyatt <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear Wikimedia community,

We are pleased to announce that Wikimania 2018 is now accepting
proposals for workshops, discussions, presentations, or research
posters to give during the conference. To read the full instructions
visit the event wiki and click on the link provided there to make your
proposal:
https://wikimania2018.wikimedia.org/wiki/Submissions

The deadline for submissions is 23:59 UTC on Sunday March 18, 2018.
This is approximately 6 weeks away. Whether you are a community member
of one of the Wikimedia projects, or a fellow open content creator or
consumer, we welcome your proposal for a session.

Theme
This year, the conference will be taking place in Cape Town, South
Africa, where the organisers are giving this Wikimania a unique flavor
— an explicit theme based in African philosophy:

“Bridging knowledge gaps, the ubuntu way forward.”
Read more about this theme, why it was chosen, and what it means for
the conference program at the Wikimedia blog:
https://blog.wikimedia.org/2018/02/05/wikimania-cape-town-ubuntu

Throughout the conference program, this theme will be tightly held,
but loosely defined - in order to encourage a diverse range of
the opportunity to further our goal of creating the “sum of human
knowledge”, by encouraging greater diversity and inclusion in who
participates and what we discuss at Wikimania.

To learn more, and to make a proposal for the conference, please visit:
https://wikimania2018.wikimedia.org/wiki/Submissions

Please forward this announcement to other lists and groups across the
Wikimedia movement.
We look forward to reading your submissions. Sincerely,
Program committee co-chairs Emna Mizouni, Felix Nartey, and Liam Wyatt.