Wikimania Documentary Done

Nkansah Rexford

Hello everyone,

The final version of the Wikimania Documentary can be found on YouTube. Will push to Commons by end of this week as it requires a bit of alteration to make it fully Wikimedia Commons License compliant.

Wikimania 2014 Documentary: http://youtu.be/1444m7vhhFo

Interviews taken at the conference will be released to public soon. Currently awaiting the video's public-going approval from the interviewees.

Subtitles will be added soon to the documentary video on YouTube. Editing the videos wasn't as difficult to me as adding the subtitles. Dang!

Thanks for all your support and assistance.

Will love to also hear from and get in touch with our friends in  Kazakhstan.

rexford | google.com/+Nkansahrexford

Re: Wikimania Documentary Done

Risker

On 15 December 2014 at 18:06, Nkansah Rexford <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello everyone,

The final version of the Wikimania Documentary can be found on YouTube. Will push to Commons by end of this week as it requires a bit of alteration to make it fully Wikimedia Commons License compliant.

Wikimania 2014 Documentary: http://youtu.be/1444m7vhhFo

Interviews taken at the conference will be released to public soon. Currently awaiting the video's public-going approval from the interviewees.

Subtitles will be added soon to the documentary video on YouTube. Editing the videos wasn't as difficult to me as adding the subtitles. Dang!

Thanks for all your support and assistance.

Will love to also hear from and get in touch with our friends in  Kazakhstan.

rexford | google.com/+Nkansahrexford

Thank you for sharing this, Nkansah.

Risker/Anne

Re: Wikimania Documentary Done

Ralgis

Wikimania Documentary Done

Nkansah Rexford

Good morning,

With this email, I say I am done with editing the wikimania videos I took last year in London.

In all, I did one documentary of Wikimania and give interviews parts, involving about 6 different languages from all parts of world.

All the videos are currently on YouTube. Commons will see all the videos soon. I'm waiting to get full consent from all the individuals involved in all the 5 separate interviews, then I'll batch upload them all onto Commons in likely webm format.

All the videos, when ready will be in this one Playlist on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLWEYPtH04KyJFW6J7IatCww1H5wZ9xWGM

Re: Wikimania Documentary Done

Luca Martinelli

> Good morning,
>
> With this email, I say I am done with editing the wikimania videos I took
> last year in London.
>
> In all, I did one documentary of Wikimania and give interviews parts,
> involving about 6 different languages from all parts of world.
>
> All the videos are currently on YouTube. Commons will see all the videos
> soon. I'm waiting to get full consent from all the individuals involved in
> all the 5 separate interviews, then I'll batch upload them all onto Commons
> in likely webm format.
>
> All the videos, when ready will be in this one Playlist on Youtube:
> https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLWEYPtH04KyJFW6J7IatCww1H5wZ9xWGM

Dear Nkansah, thank you very much for your video! We'll share it on
Wikimedia Italia channels too. :)

--
Luca "Sannita" Martinelli
http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utente:Sannita

Re: Wikimania Documentary Done

Nkansah Rexford
The video about Kuandyk (from Kazakhstan) will be released eventually if I can't reach them. I reached out to Kuandyk who was part of the interviewees, but haven't received any feedback.

Please help me get in touch with them, for their approval + translation help. The Kazakh language was like encrypted passwords in my ears when I was editing and I have no idea if where and how I cut them form complete sentences.

I'll surely and definitely need their help in translating. Or if anyone on this list is a native 'Kazakhstanian', please get in touch and help me out.

I'm currently waiting for approval + translation from the Wikimedia Mexicans (Ivan Martinez and Carmen). I'm sure they're busy with upcoming Wikimania, thus if a spanish can help me with translation, I'll really appreciate.

Thanks.

On Friday, February 6, 2015, Luca Martinelli <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Good morning,
>
> With this email, I say I am done with editing the wikimania videos I took
> last year in London.
>
> In all, I did one documentary of Wikimania and give interviews parts,
> involving about 6 different languages from all parts of world.
>
> All the videos are currently on YouTube. Commons will see all the videos
> soon. I'm waiting to get full consent from all the individuals involved in
> all the 5 separate interviews, then I'll batch upload them all onto Commons
> in likely webm format.
>
> All the videos, when ready will be in this one Playlist on Youtube:
> https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLWEYPtH04KyJFW6J7IatCww1H5wZ9xWGM

Dear Nkansah, thank you very much for your video! We'll share it on
Wikimedia Italia channels too. :)

--
Luca "Sannita" Martinelli
http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utente:Sannita

Re: Wikimania Documentary Done

Richard Symonds-3
This really is lovely! Well done!

Richard Symonds
Wikimedia UK
0207 065 0992

Wikimedia UK is a Company Limited by Guarantee registered in England and Wales, Registered No. 6741827. Registered Charity No.1144513. Registered Office 4th Floor, Development House, 56-64 Leonard Street, London EC2A 4LT. United Kingdom. Wikimedia UK is the UK chapter of a global Wikimedia movement. The Wikimedia projects are run by the Wikimedia Foundation (who operate Wikipedia, amongst other projects).

Wikimedia UK is an independent non-profit charity with no legal control over Wikipedia nor responsibility for its contents.

On 6 February 2015 at 14:57, Subhashish Panigrahi <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Victor Grigas
Well done, thanks for the credit too! This will be great to share before Wikimania 2015 :)

Can you convert these to .webm and upload them to commons along with the captions file? I'd love to get full English captions done and then submit them to be translated.

On Fri, Feb 6, 2015 at 10:40 AM, Richard Symonds <[hidden email]> wrote:
This really is lovely! Well done!

Richard Symonds
Wikimedia UK
0207 065 0992

Wikimedia UK is a Company Limited by Guarantee registered in England and Wales, Registered No. 6741827. Registered Charity No.1144513. Registered Office 4th Floor, Development House, 56-64 Leonard Street, London EC2A 4LT. United Kingdom. Wikimedia UK is the UK chapter of a global Wikimedia movement. The Wikimedia projects are run by the Wikimedia Foundation (who operate Wikipedia, amongst other projects).

Wikimedia UK is an independent non-profit charity with no legal control over Wikipedia nor responsibility for its contents.

On 6 February 2015 at 14:57, Subhashish Panigrahi <[hidden email]> wrote:
Great work Nkansh!

On 6 February 2015 at 16:46, Nkansah Rexford <[hidden email]> wrote:

Good morning,

With this email, I say I am done with editing the wikimania videos I took last year in London.

In all, I did one documentary of Wikimania and give interviews parts, involving about 6 different languages from all parts of world.

All the videos are currently on YouTube. Commons will see all the videos soon. I'm waiting to get full consent from all the individuals involved in all the 5 separate interviews, then I'll batch upload them all onto Commons in likely webm format.

All the videos, when ready will be in this one Playlist on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLWEYPtH04KyJFW6J7IatCww1H5wZ9xWGM

On Dec 16, 2014 3:32 PM, "Allan Aguilar" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Subha

Re: Wikimania Documentary Done

Nkansah Rexford

> Can you convert these to .webm and upload them to commons along with the captions file? I'd love to get full English captions done and then submit them to be translated.

.ogv is something I can convert to readily. .webm, I haven't found a way to do so via avconv.

Yes, I can upload them to commons with the captions. The captions will only be for the ones I have done captions.

Some I haven't because I don't have the translated materials yet.

Waiting for Leah, Ivan and Kazakhs translation before I can proceed with captioning.

On Fri, Feb 6, 2015 at 2:17 PM, Nkansah Rexford <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Can you convert these to .webm and upload them to commons along with the captions file? I'd love to get full English captions done and then submit them to be translated.

.ogv is something I can convert to readily. .webm, I haven't found a way to do so via avconv.

Use http://firefogg.org/ on the firefox browser

Yes, I can upload them to commons with the captions. The captions will only be for the ones I have done captions.

thats ok, we can add more when you have them :)

Some I haven't because I don't have the translated materials yet.

Waiting for Leah, Ivan and Kazakhs translation before I can proceed with captioning.

ok!

> On Fri, Feb 6, 2015 at 10:40 AM, Richard Symonds <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> This really is lovely! Well done!
>>
>> Richard Symonds
>> Wikimedia UK
>> 0207 065 0992
>>
>> Wikimedia UK is a Company Limited by Guarantee registered in England and Wales, Registered No. 6741827. Registered Charity No.1144513. Registered Office 4th Floor, Development House, 56-64 Leonard Street, London EC2A 4LT. United Kingdom. Wikimedia UK is the UK chapter of a global Wikimedia movement. The Wikimedia projects are run by the Wikimedia Foundation (who operate Wikipedia, amongst other projects).
>>
>> Wikimedia UK is an independent non-profit charity with no legal control over Wikipedia nor responsibility for its contents.
>>

>> On 6 February 2015 at 14:57, Subhashish Panigrahi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Great work Nkansh!

>>> --
>>> Subha

> Victor Grigas
> Storyteller
> Wikimedia Foundation
> [hidden email]
> https://donate.wikimedia.org/

Re: Wikimania Documentary Done

Jan Ainali
On Fri, Feb 6, 2015 at 2:17 PM, Nkansah Rexford <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Can you convert these to .webm and upload them to commons along with the captions file? I'd love to get full English captions done and then submit them to be translated.

.ogv is something I can convert to readily. .webm, I haven't found a way to do so via avconv.

Use http://firefogg.org/ on the firefox browser
Or use http://tools.wmflabs.org/videoconvert/

/Jan

Re: Wikimania Documentary Done

Nkansah Rexford

Yeah, thanks for pointing out. I started working on something similar, but got to learn about the videoconvert tool.

Will give it a shot soon.

On Feb 6, 2015 9:36 PM, "Jan Ainali" <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Fri, Feb 6, 2015 at 2:17 PM, Nkansah Rexford <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Can you convert these to .webm and upload them to commons along with the captions file? I'd love to get full English captions done and then submit them to be translated.

.ogv is something I can convert to readily. .webm, I haven't found a way to do so via avconv.

Use http://firefogg.org/ on the firefox browser

/Jan

Re: Wikimania Documentary Done

Daniel Schwen-2

> .ogv is something I can convert to readily. .webm, I haven't found a way to do so via avconv.

Apart from all the useful advice that was given already, avconv supports webm natively. It is as simple as changing the output file extension from ogv to webm.
Daniel

Re: Wikimania Documentary Done

Manuel Schneider-3
Hi!

On 02/06/2015 08:17 PM, Nkansah Rexford wrote:
> Yes, I can upload them to commons with the captions. The captions will
> only be for the ones I have done captions.
>
> Some I haven't because I don't have the translated materials yet.

when uploading with captions please use the TimedText namespace of
Commons, so the subtitles are stored in their original text format (SRT)
on Commons and can be translated by everyone.

That way you don't have to do all the translation work alone, as people
can just copy the text and translate it themselves.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Timed_Text
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Timed_Text_Demo_Page

/Manuel
Lausanne, +41 (21) 34066-22 - www.wikimedia.ch

Re: Wikimania Documentary Done

Nkansah Rexford
I couldn't upload even a single video of what I did to Wikimedia Commons. For whatever reasons, it doesn't WORK. uploading to YouTube happens at a breeze. Wikimedia Commons? its a no no.

All the 6 edited videos on YouTube[1]. I've marked the ones that are CC-BY-SA license compliant. (those that aren't yet will be very soon). Subtitling will also be added soon.

I won't be uploading the videos to Commons, therefore. If anyone here is interested to upload to Commons, you can download the videos from youtube in .webm formats, and upload to Commons.

I wrote a blog[2] outlining how the doing of all these videos started and ended (I touch on why I'm not uploading to Commons in the article. With all due respect to WMF and the upload tool devs, the Upload tool, both form and wizard, are broken!)

Will it be in context to write about what went on in getting the videos done on Wikimedia Blog?

Please get in touch if there's any issue with any of the videos on YouTube. thanks

On Monday, February 9, 2015, Manuel Schneider <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi!

On 02/06/2015 08:17 PM, Nkansah Rexford wrote:
> Yes, I can upload them to commons with the captions. The captions will
> only be for the ones I have done captions.
>
> Some I haven't because I don't have the translated materials yet.

when uploading with captions please use the TimedText namespace of
Commons, so the subtitles are stored in their original text format (SRT)
on Commons and can be translated by everyone.

That way you don't have to do all the translation work alone, as people
can just copy the text and translate it themselves.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Timed_Text
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Timed_Text_Demo_Page

/Manuel
Lausanne, +41 (21) 34066-22 - www.wikimedia.ch

Re: Wikimania Documentary Done

Manuel Schneider-3
Hi Nkansah,

yes, uploading on Commons for files > 100 MB is not easy. A modern
browser supporting chunked uploads using the new Commons upload wizard
supports up to 1 GB.

The Video Convert tool on WMF labs that has been proposed to you for the
WebM encoding supports several GBs, transcodes to WebM and does the
upload to Commons after transcoding, so that helps a lot to fix that
problem.

I would also help you with moving the files from Youtube to Commons but
Youtube doesn't allow downloading them. I could hack it and grab the FLV
stream and transcode that but I'd rather would like to get the files
directly from you to minimize quality loss. Is there a way you can share
the rendered files - in whatever original format they are?
I can also offer a FTP upload.

/Manuel

On 02/10/2015 09:42 AM, Nkansah Rexford wrote:

> I couldn't upload even a single video of what I did to Wikimedia
> Commons. For whatever reasons, it doesn't WORK. uploading to YouTube
> happens at a breeze. Wikimedia Commons? its a no no.
>
> All the 6 edited videos on YouTube[1]. I've marked the ones that are
> CC-BY-SA license compliant. (those that aren't yet will be very soon).
> Subtitling will also be added soon.
>
> I won't be uploading the videos to Commons, therefore. If anyone here is
> interested to upload to Commons, you can download the videos from
> youtube in .webm formats, and upload to Commons.
>
> I wrote a blog[2] outlining how the doing of all these videos started
> and ended (I touch on why I'm not uploading to Commons in the article.
> With all due respect to WMF and the upload tool devs, the Upload tool,
> both form and wizard, are broken!)
>
> Will it be in context to write about what went on in getting the videos
> done on Wikimedia Blog?
>
> Please get in touch if there's any issue with any of the videos on
> YouTube. thanks

Lausanne, +41 (21) 34066-22 - www.wikimedia.ch

Re: Wikimania Documentary Done

Nkansah Rexford
I would also help you with moving the files from Youtube to Commons but
Youtube doesn't allow downloading them. I could hack it and grab the FLV
stream and transcode that but I'd rather would like to get the files
directly from you to minimize quality loss. Is there a way you can share
the rendered files - in whatever original format they are?
I can also offer a FTP upload.

If you want to upload the original videos, and as such, want them downloaded, you can try the tool, clipconverter.cc

I haven't noticed quality loss using the above tool. However, the videos will be in .mp4 formats.

/Manuel

On 02/10/2015 09:42 AM, Nkansah Rexford wrote:
> I couldn't upload even a single video of what I did to Wikimedia
> Commons. For whatever reasons, it doesn't WORK. uploading to YouTube
> happens at a breeze. Wikimedia Commons? its a no no.
>
> All the 6 edited videos on YouTube[1]. I've marked the ones that are
> CC-BY-SA license compliant. (those that aren't yet will be very soon).
> Subtitling will also be added soon.
>
> I won't be uploading the videos to Commons, therefore. If anyone here is
> interested to upload to Commons, you can download the videos from
> youtube in .webm formats, and upload to Commons.
>
> I wrote a blog[2] outlining how the doing of all these videos started
> and ended (I touch on why I'm not uploading to Commons in the article.
> With all due respect to WMF and the upload tool devs, the Upload tool,
> both form and wizard, are broken!)
>
> Will it be in context to write about what went on in getting the videos
> done on Wikimedia Blog?
>
> Please get in touch if there's any issue with any of the videos on
> YouTube. thanks

Lausanne, +41 (21) 34066-22 - www.wikimedia.ch

Re: Wikimania Documentary Done

Daniel Schwen-2
>> Youtube doesn't allow downloading them. I could hack it and grab the FLV

> If you want to upload the original videos, and as such, want them
> downloaded, you can try the tool, clipconverter.cc

I think Manuel knows _how_ to download youtube videos (youtube-dl for
example). The point is that youtube does not _allow_ this. Check the
youtube terms of use [1] section 5 paragraph B.

Nkansah, you dismiss commons and its "upload wizzard" yet you seem not
to have followed the advice to use the tool labs video
converter/uploader. I've used it before, it is painless.

In that light I find the anti-commons soapboxing rather annoying. Yes,
the native interface should be improved, and unfortunately the
community voted not accept patent encumbered formats, but we DO have a
feasible, userfirendly way of uploading large video content.
Best,
Daniel

[1] https://www.youtube.com/static?template=terms

Re: Wikimania Documentary Done