Wikimania as a communication project

Sandy Dorotheo

Dear guys,

I hope you don’t mind this approach. Rather than contributing to separate elists, I’ve put a message on a bulletin board hosted at OCLC. They’re the largest non profit for librarians in the world. They also have a tool – the Dewey Decimal Code – which could help wikimedians associate their content with their projects (and communications).

I’ve started a thread and offered a poll if you’d like to offer an opinion. http://forums.oclc.org/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=11732

So far as a little background on me. I’m a fifty something who has worked in media for a lot a years and would like to help by getting a bunch of sponsors on board the wiki train – both for the conference and also for the equipment which supports wikimediafoundation (non profit) stuff.

I also have a bunch of mates who have run conferences for Rotarians in the past E.g. 64,000 in Chicago a few years ago.

My best regards,

Simon Fenton - Jones

Checked by AVG Free Edition.

Re: Wikimania as a communication project

Gordon Joly
At 07:33 +1000 12/9/07, Sandy Dorotheo wrote:

>Dear guys,
>
>I hope you don't mind this approach. Rather than contributing to
>separate elists, I've put a message on a bulletin board hosted at
>OCLC. They're the largest non profit for librarians in the world.
>They also have a tool - the Dewey Decimal Code - which could help
>wikimedians associate their content with their projects (and
>communications).
>
>I've started a thread and offered a poll if you'd like to offer an
>opinion.
><http://forums.oclc.org/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=11732>http://forums.oclc.org/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=11732
>
>So far as a little background on me. I'm a fifty something who has
>worked in media for a lot a years and would like to help by getting
>a bunch of sponsors on board the wiki train - both for the
>conference and also for the equipment which supports
>wikimediafoundation (non profit) stuff.
>
>I also have a bunch of mates who have run conferences for Rotarians
>in the past E.g. 64,000 in Chicago a few years ago.
>
>My best regards,
>Simon Fenton - Jones

Welcome aboard.

But has the train already left the station?

Gordo

--
"Think Feynman"/////////
http://pobox.com/~gordo/

Re: Wikimania as a communication project

Andrew Gray
On 11/09/2007, Sandy Dorotheo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I hope you don't mind this approach. Rather than contributing to separate
> elists, I've put a message on a bulletin board hosted at OCLC. They're the
> largest non profit for librarians in the world. They also have a tool – the
> Dewey Decimal Code – which could help wikimedians associate their content
> with their projects (and communications).

I have to say, as a classifier I started hyperventilating with
laughter at this point. Of all the things that are completely
inappropriate to use for anything like our projects, DDC must be high
on the list...

(DDC is essentially a system for arranging physical books in a linear
order. In an electronic environment, it's... well, about as meaningful
as "alphabetising things" for any form of structured information. Not
to mention the fact that it's immensely legally encumbered!)

--
- Andrew Gray

At 18:46 +0100 13/9/07, Andrew Gray wrote:

>On 11/09/2007, Sandy Dorotheo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>  I hope you don't mind this approach. Rather than contributing to separate
>>  elists, I've put a message on a bulletin board hosted at OCLC. They're the
>>  largest non profit for librarians in the world. They also have a tool - the
>>  Dewey Decimal Code - which could help wikimedians associate their content
>>  with their projects (and communications).
>
>I have to say, as a classifier I started hyperventilating with
>laughter at this point. Of all the things that are completely
>inappropriate to use for anything like our projects, DDC must be high
>on the list...
>
>(DDC is essentially a system for arranging physical books in a linear
>order. In an electronic environment, it's... well, about as meaningful
>as "alphabetising things" for any form of structured information. Not
>to mention the fact that it's immensely legally encumbered!)
>
>--
>- Andrew Gray
>   [hidden email]

I agree. And the use of inappropriate tools (methods, software, etc)
is rife....

Such as using a Wiki (alone) to plan an event and the use of
Mediawiki for Commons.

Gordo

--
"Think Feynman"/////////
http://pobox.com/~gordo/

Re: Wikimania as a communication project

Sandy Dorotheo

Dear Andrew, Gordo, Gary, and all

Firstly, sorry for the confusion. It's Simon. Have to use the sandyd account
to stop the overflow of emails that always come from first attempts on a new
email list(s).

I appreciate your hyperventilation - another stupid idea. The last one was
when I suggested (a long time ago) to a few computer companies that, due to
Moore's Law, they should rent their computers rather than sell them (and
when the laughter had died, set up a funding mechanism between computer
companies and banks). Now I'm told what a stupid idea it is to buy. I'm
suggesting the same kind of change in context here = Comms not Info.

Have replied at OCLC's forum to help my failing memory keep a thread,
http://forums.oclc.org/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=11732&pageNo=1&num=20

I hope you will take a squiz. Especially at the virtual rooms stuff. I can
see you like the idea of broadcasting from Wikimania, wherever it might be
held, and while the comproj teams are reforming it seems a good time to get
a new comms model in place. It's quite possible to do a global thing but we
gotta use the appropriate tools.

All the best,
simonfj

I have to say, as a classifier I started hyperventilating with
laughter at this point. Of all the things that are completely
inappropriate to use for anything like our projects, DDC must be high
on the list...

(DDC is essentially a system for arranging physical books in a linear
order. In an electronic environment, it's... well, about as meaningful
as "alphabetising things" for any form of structured information. Not
to mention the fact that it's immensely legally encumbered!)

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
3:59 PM