Wikimania

Austin Hair
Hopefully everyone interested is subscribed by now; I'm not personally
keeping a list of names.

Averse as I am to organizing "big stuff" in real-life meetings, where
valuable input is lost just because certain people aren't able to free
up their schedule and travel, I'd like to have a (brief) session—or
series of sessions—to discuss the formation of an American chapter (or
multiple chapters).  As everyone knows, much more can be accomplished
with even brief in-person interaction, despite the drawbacks.

It would be nice to gear up the discussion on this list, then report
as things develop so people are kept in the loop as much as possible.
So, with less than a month left, let's start talking.

Everyone should begin by reviewing the pages linked from
<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Chapters>; they're not quite as
informative as I'd like, but they cover the basics accurately.

Second, everyone attending Wikimania and interested in participating
in such a discussion should e-mail me with your names, so I can check
you against the attendee list and help make this happen.

My uncharacteristically long signature should clue anyone in to who I
am and why I'd be doing such a thing.

--
Austin Hair <[hidden email]>
Vice Chairman, Chapters Committee

Re: Wikimania

SJ-5
On 7/5/06, Austin Hair <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Averse as I am to organizing "big stuff" in real-life meetings, where
> valuable input is lost just because certain people aren't able to free
> up their schedule and travel, I'd like to have a (brief) session—or
> series of sessions—to discuss the formation of an American chapter (or
> multiple chapters).  As everyone knows, much more can be accomplished
> with even brief in-person interaction, despite the drawbacks.

A great idea.  Monday August 7th would be a good day for business
meetings such as this; if there are mre than one in a series of
sessions, perhaps for a last session that most interested people can
attend.  (upshot : if you're coming to Wikimania, consider travel
plans that let you stay through part of Monday)

> It would be nice to gear up the discussion on this list, then report
> as things develop so people are kept in the loop as much as possible.
> So, with less than a month left, let's start talking.

Alex r. mentioned familiarity with the details of non-profit
incorporation in the US; Alex, can you share some of those on Meta, on
the US chapter page?

SJ

Re: Wikimania

Kelly Martin-3
I'd be interested but my travel plans are already set (I have a 5pm
flight on Monday).  In any case, I cannot afford an additional night's
stay nor can I afford to change my flight, or take another day off
work.

Kelly

On 7/9/06, SJ <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 7/5/06, Austin Hair <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Averse as I am to organizing "big stuff" in real-life meetings, where
> > valuable input is lost just because certain people aren't able to free
> > up their schedule and travel, I'd like to have a (brief) session—or
> > series of sessions—to discuss the formation of an American chapter (or
> > multiple chapters).  As everyone knows, much more can be accomplished
> > with even brief in-person interaction, despite the drawbacks.
>
> A great idea.  Monday August 7th would be a good day for business
> meetings such as this; if there are mre than one in a series of
> sessions, perhaps for a last session that most interested people can
> attend.  (upshot : if you're coming to Wikimania, consider travel
> plans that let you stay through part of Monday)
>
> > It would be nice to gear up the discussion on this list, then report
> > as things develop so people are kept in the loop as much as possible.
> > So, with less than a month left, let's start talking.
>
> Alex r. mentioned familiarity with the details of non-profit
> incorporation in the US; Alex, can you share some of those on Meta, on
> the US chapter page?
>
> SJ

Re: Wikimania

Kat Walsh
On 7/9/06, SJ <[hidden email]> wrote:

> A great idea.  Monday August 7th would be a good day for business
> meetings such as this; if there are mre than one in a series of
> sessions, perhaps for a last session that most interested people can
> attend.  (upshot : if you're coming to Wikimania, consider travel
> plans that let you stay through part of Monday)

I think it's a bad idea to schedule the meeting for Monday -- many
people (such as Kelly, for one!) have already made their travel plans
and won't be realistically able to change them, particularly if it
means taking another day off work. There must be some better time to
do this. (Is there a schedule for the main Wikimania proceedings
anywhere yet?)

-Kat

--
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Mindspillage  |  G/AIM:LucidWaking
mindspillage or mind|wandering on irc.freenode.net | email for phone

Re: Wikimania

Austin Hair
Monday clearly isn't a good day for those who don't have vacation
plans, and it's most likely not good for me, since I'm bound to be
participating in something else planned for that day.  It doesn't have
to be a formal workshop; we can meet one afternoon, or discuss it over
dinner.  What I really want is a list of everyone interested, so
whatever we do, nobody misses the memo.

Austin