Wikimaps

David-674
Hey, I'm a student in Britain. I was thinking about using wikipedia for a school
project. It uses the related links of an article to show the links graphically.
I was wondering if anyone knew the best way of doing this? my two thoughts are
from the database dump if the related links are there. Or by html parsing.

Thanks for any help.

Re: Wikimaps

Roan Kattouw
David schreef:
> Hey, I'm a student in Britain. I was thinking about using wikipedia for a school
> project. It uses the related links of an article to show the links graphically.
> I was wondering if anyone knew the best way of doing this? my two thoughts are
> from the database dump if the related links are there. Or by html parsing.
>
> Thanks for any help.
HTML parsing (also known as screenscraping) is not necessary and almost
never a good idea. To obtain a list of links in a given article, use the
API:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/api.php?action=query&prop=links&titles=Main_Page

For the full API documentation, see [1].

Roan Kattouw (Catrope)

[1] http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/API

Re: Wikimaps

Christensen, Courtney
Roan said:----------------
>HTML parsing (also known as screenscraping) is not necessary and almost
>never a good idea. To obtain a list of links in a given article, use the
>API:
>
>http://en.wikipedia.org/w/api.php?action=query&prop=links&titles=Main_Page

Hey Roan,

Would this give you interwiki links also?

It would be pretty useful.
Thanks!
-Courtney

Re: Wikimaps

Roan Kattouw
Christensen, Courtney schreef:

> Roan said:----------------
>
>> HTML parsing (also known as screenscraping) is not necessary and almost
>> never a good idea. To obtain a list of links in a given article, use the
>> API:
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/w/api.php?action=query&prop=links&titles=Main_Page

> Hey Roan,
>
> Would this give you interwiki links also?
>
> It would be pretty useful.
No, but prop=langlinks will. You can combine them with prop=links|langlinks

Roan Kattouw (Catrope)

Re: Wikimaps

Russell Blau-2
"Roan Kattouw" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...

> Christensen, Courtney schreef:
>> Roan said:----------------
>>
>>> HTML parsing (also known as screenscraping) is not necessary and almost
>>> never a good idea. To obtain a list of links in a given article, use the
>>> API:
>>>
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/w/api.php?action=query&prop=links&titles=Main_Page

>> Hey Roan,
>>
>> Would this give you interwiki links also?
>>
>> It would be pretty useful.
> No, but prop=langlinks will. You can combine them with
> prop=links|langlinks

Technically, prop=langlinks will only give you interlanguage links (which
are links that look like [[en:This title in English]]).  Other kinds of
interwiki links, like [[wikt:define]] or [[:fr:Different title in French]],
cannot be retrieved via the API, except by parsing the page text.

Russ

Re: Wikimaps

Tei-2
On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 10:29 AM, David <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hey, I'm a student in Britain. I was thinking about using wikipedia for a school
> project. It uses the related links of an article to show the links graphically.
> I was wondering if anyone knew the best way of doing this? my two thoughts are
> from the database dump if the related links are there. Or by html parsing.

I don't know what software will you use to plot the links, but here is
one very powerfull and handy:

http://www.graphviz.org/

ℱin del ℳensaje.

Re: Wikimaps

Andrew Krizhanovsky
Tei wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 10:29 AM, David <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hey, I'm a student in Britain. I was thinking about using wikipedia for a school
>> project. It uses the related links of an article to show the links graphically.
>> I was wondering if anyone knew the best way of doing this? my two thoughts are
>> from the database dump if the related links are there. Or by html parsing.
>>

> I don't know what software will you use to plot the links, but here is
> one very powerfull and handy:
>
> http://www.graphviz.org/

You can try Synarcher. See screenshots.
http://synarcher.sourceforge.net/