Quantcast

[Wikimedia Announcements] Announcement: Fabrice Florin joins Wikimedia

[Wikimedia Announcements] Announcement: Fabrice Florin joins Wikimedia

Erik Moeller-4
Hello all,

I’m really happy to announce that Fabrice Florin is joining the
Wikimedia Foundation as Product Manager for New Editor Engagement.

In this position, Fabrice will take the lead in articulating and
refining, in partnership with the community and the engineering team,
the requirements for some of our most important features: those which
will help us increase the engagement and retention of new contributors
to Wikimedia projects.

Fabrice has already been supporting us as a contractor on the Article
Feedback V5 project, and I’m really pleased that he’s joining us
full-time, starting next week.

Six years ago, Fabrice founded NewsTrust, a non-profit organization
dedicated to to helping people find quality journalism. As its
Executive Director, Fabrice built the organization and the product
from scratch, with a small team. NewsTrust is a fascinating community
in its own right, and Fabrice and I first met when we discussed what
lessons could be learned for Wikimedia’s own forays into
rating/assessment tools.

Before that, Fabrice had a long carreer in the tech and media
industry. He was VP of Online Entertainment at Macromedia, CEO of
Zenda,  Executive Producer at Apple, and President of Videowest. Read
more in his online bio: http://bit.ly/fab-bio

Fabrice is perhaps the first WMF staffer with an IMDB entry. He
directed the 1984 documentary “Hackers” which featured early tech
luminaries like Bill Atkinson, Lee Felsenstein, Richard Stallman and
Steve Wozniak.

Please join me in giving him a big welcome to the Wikimedia movement. :-)

Erik

--
Erik Möller

Please note: all replies sent to this mailing list will be immediately directed to Foundation-L, the public mailing list about the Wikimedia Foundation and its projects. For more information about Foundation-L:

Re: [Wikimedia Announcements] Announcement: Fabrice Florin joins Wikimedia

Bod Notbod
On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 00:29, Erik Moeller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I’m really happy to announce that Fabrice Florin is joining the
> Wikimedia Foundation as Product Manager for New Editor Engagement.

[...]

> Please join me in giving him a big welcome to the Wikimedia movement. :-)

< holds up big WELCOME sign >

If I say that this sounds like a hugely important role the rest of the
office will fold their arms and  rightly harumph at me for the implied
negation of their value, so I won't say that. But you can't keep up
with Wikipedia news without being made constantly aware that gaining
new editors is a serious business. I will be fascinated to see what
you make of the ideas for volunteer recruitment we've had so far and
any innovations you can come up with.

Congratulations and welcome to the other recent new hires as well.

It would be lovely if each of the new hires could guest post on the
Foundation blog and/or write a page for Signpost once they've settled
in and let us know what their average day is like and some insight
into what they're working on. The staff is now getting to a size where
even close followers of Wikimedia are liable to lose track. Some
effort to keep the community feeling that they know all the staff
would be much appreciated.

en.User:Bodnotbod

Re: [Wikimedia Announcements] Announcement: Fabrice Florin joins Wikimedia

David Gerard-2
On 10 January 2012 20:57, Bod Notbod <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It would be lovely if each of the new hires could guest post on the
> Foundation blog and/or write a page for Signpost once they've settled
> in and let us know what their average day is like and some insight
> into what they're working on. The staff is now getting to a size where
> even close followers of Wikimedia are liable to lose track. Some
> effort to keep the community feeling that they know all the staff
> would be much appreciated.

+1

 -d.

Re: [Wikimedia Announcements] Announcement: Fabrice Florin joins Wikimedia

Federico Leva (Nemo)
Bod Notbod, 10/01/2012 21:57:

> If I say that this sounds like a hugely important role the rest of the
> office will fold their arms and  rightly harumph at me for the implied
> negation of their value, so I won't say that. But you can't keep up
> with Wikipedia news without being made constantly aware that gaining
> new editors is a serious business. I will be fascinated to see what
> you make of the ideas for volunteer recruitment we've had so far and
> any innovations you can come up with.
>
> Congratulations and welcome to the other recent new hires as well.
>
> It would be lovely if each of the new hires could guest post on the
> Foundation blog and/or write a page for Signpost once they've settled
> in and let us know what their average day is like and some insight
> into what they're working on. The staff is now getting to a size where
> even close followers of Wikimedia are liable to lose track. Some
> effort to keep the community feeling that they know all the staff
> would be much appreciated.

Personal perspectives are perhaps not very suitable for the "official
blog" (but may be), anyway engineering reports are being published
regularly since a while and they're a very good way to know what's going
on at least in the technology department, without having to read MiB of
text.
https://blog.wikimedia.org/c/technology/wmf-engineering-reports/
The other departments are more obscure. :-)

Nemo

On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 21:26, Federico Leva (Nemo) <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Personal perspectives are perhaps not very suitable for the "official
> blog" (but may be),

Ah. OK. I confess I'm more of a Signpost reader than of the blog, so I
hadn't thought of it having a particular style or code.

> anyway engineering reports are being published
> regularly since a while and they're a very good way to know what's going
> on at least in the technology department, without having to read MiB of
> text.

Yes. To clarify, it's not that I feel a sense of "I don't know what
they get up to in that office"... I'm sure most things I'd be
interested to know I could find out with judicious searching. I'm
thinking more along the lines of not just putting names to faces but
also a greater insight into what their current working day is like and
projects of note.

Maybe forget the blog and Signpost. If we go here:

http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Staff_and_contractors

We see that some staff don't yet have pictures. I would respect the
choice of anyone who didn't want a pic up but they do go a long way in
helping someone retain a name in their mind. Also some of the names
are wikified but clicking through doesn't take you to anything
substantive in some cases. Other names are not wikified at all. Some
of the job titles are wikified and clicking takes you through to the
job spec, which is great... but not all have that.

So any work that could be done to standardise the page somewhat would
be most welcome. And I would definitely welcome it if staff were to
project a bit of their personality in some kind of statement of their
own. It all adds to that sense of the Foundation being approachable
folk working to help us volunteers.

What I'm calling for, basically, is efforts to retain that feeling
that you knew the staff which was easy to achieve when numbers were so
small and will naturally lessen as the organisation grows, but a
lessening which can be mitigated to some degree.

Bodnotbod

Re: [Wikimedia Announcements] Announcement: Fabrice Florin joins Wikimedia

Oliver Keyes-4
I'm happy to write something up, as the most recent community-sourced hire,
if my bosses and comms are okay with it :).

On 10 January 2012 21:59, Bod Notbod <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 21:26, Federico Leva (Nemo) <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Personal perspectives are perhaps not very suitable for the "official
> > blog" (but may be),
>
> Ah. OK. I confess I'm more of a Signpost reader than of the blog, so I
> hadn't thought of it having a particular style or code.
>
> > anyway engineering reports are being published
> > regularly since a while and they're a very good way to know what's going
> > on at least in the technology department, without having to read MiB of
> > text.
>
> Yes. To clarify, it's not that I feel a sense of "I don't know what
> they get up to in that office"... I'm sure most things I'd be
> interested to know I could find out with judicious searching. I'm
> thinking more along the lines of not just putting names to faces but
> also a greater insight into what their current working day is like and
> projects of note.
>
> Maybe forget the blog and Signpost. If we go here:
>
> http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Staff_and_contractors
>
> We see that some staff don't yet have pictures. I would respect the
> choice of anyone who didn't want a pic up but they do go a long way in
> helping someone retain a name in their mind. Also some of the names
> are wikified but clicking through doesn't take you to anything
> substantive in some cases. Other names are not wikified at all. Some
> of the job titles are wikified and clicking takes you through to the
> job spec, which is great... but not all have that.
>
> So any work that could be done to standardise the page somewhat would
> be most welcome. And I would definitely welcome it if staff were to
> project a bit of their personality in some kind of statement of their
> own. It all adds to that sense of the Foundation being approachable
> folk working to help us volunteers.
>
> What I'm calling for, basically, is efforts to retain that feeling
> that you knew the staff which was easy to achieve when numbers were so
> small and will naturally lessen as the organisation grows, but a
> lessening which can be mitigated to some degree.
>
> Bodnotbod

Oliver Keyes
Community Liaison, Product Development

Re: [Wikimedia Announcements] Announcement: Fabrice Florin joins Wikimedia

Federico Leva (Nemo)
Bod Notbod, 10/01/2012 22:59:

> Maybe forget the blog and Signpost. If we go here:
>
> http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Staff_and_contractors
>
> We see that some staff don't yet have pictures. I would respect the
> choice of anyone who didn't want a pic up but they do go a long way in
> helping someone retain a name in their mind. Also some of the names
> are wikified but clicking through doesn't take you to anything
> substantive in some cases. Other names are not wikified at all. Some
> of the job titles are wikified and clicking takes you through to the
> job spec, which is great... but not all have that.
>
> So any work that could be done to standardise the page somewhat would
> be most welcome. And I would definitely welcome it if staff were to
> project a bit of their personality in some kind of statement of their
> own. It all adds to that sense of the Foundation being approachable
> folk working to help us volunteers.

If you look at the talk page you'll see that I made the very same
comment. ;-)
<https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Template_talk:Staff_and_contractors#Links_to_user_pages>
If you add links to user pages on Meta or MediaWikiWiki I'll be
super-happy to publish the new version of the page. :-D

Nemo

On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 12:57 PM, Bod Notbod <[hidden email]> wrote:

> < holds up big WELCOME sign >
>
> If I say that this sounds like a hugely important role the rest of the
> office will fold their arms and  rightly harumph at me for the implied
> negation of their value, so I won't say that. But you can't keep up
> with Wikipedia news without being made constantly aware that gaining
> new editors is a serious business. I will be fascinated to see what
> you make of the ideas for volunteer recruitment we've had so far and
> any innovations you can come up with.
>
> Congratulations and welcome to the other recent new hires as well.
>
> It would be lovely if each of the new hires could guest post on the
> Foundation blog and/or write a page for Signpost once they've settled
> in and let us know what their average day is like and some insight
> into what they're working on. The staff is now getting to a size where
> even close followers of Wikimedia are liable to lose track. Some
> effort to keep the community feeling that they know all the staff
> would be much appreciated.

Hi Bod,

I like the idea of having some kind of "first month at WMF" post,
especially from someone in a very community-facing position like
Fabrice. Let's plan to do that in February. I don't think it's a blog
post but we can broadcast it here and in a couple of places.

Cheers,
Erik

--
Erik Möller

Re: [Wikimedia Announcements] Announcement: Fabrice Florin joins Wikimedia

Fabrice Florin-2
Thanks, Bod and Erik!

Great idea.

At your suggestion, I have scheduled this on my calendar, and plan to write an update  about my first month at WMF on my MediaWiki userpage in mid-February.

Since I'm still a Wikipedia newbie, I will also will also write up my observations about my own user experience so far as a new editor. This will help identify what works and doesn't work for me as a user, while my perspective is still fresh. Then I will proceed to find solutions that would have made it easier for me to participate -- and see if they could help others as well.

In my experience, participation is an issue for all civic media sites, and Wikipedia has been luckier than most in that respect. Some of the biggest issues that prevent users from contributing typically include lack of time, lack of expertise, fear of rejection, insufficient motivation, abusive behavior, mistrust and cumbersome UI, to name but a few.

We hope to address some of these tough issues by providing a range of tools and incremental improvements to the Wikipedia user experience over time. Can't wait to work with you all to experiment with some of these ideas together.

More on this in a month ;o)

All the best,

Fabrice

__________________________________

Fabrice Florin
Product Manager,
Editor Engagement
Wikimedia Foundation
+1 (415) 388-6688 work
+1 (415) 860-6484 mobile
Email: [hidden email]

Article Feedback Tool V5:
http://bit.ly/aft-v5

On Jan 10, 2012, at 3:37 PM, Erik Moeller wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 12:57 PM, Bod Notbod <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> < holds up big WELCOME sign >
>>
>> If I say that this sounds like a hugely important role the rest of the
>> office will fold their arms and  rightly harumph at me for the implied
>> negation of their value, so I won't say that. But you can't keep up
>> with Wikipedia news without being made constantly aware that gaining
>> new editors is a serious business. I will be fascinated to see what
>> you make of the ideas for volunteer recruitment we've had so far and
>> any innovations you can come up with.
>>
>> Congratulations and welcome to the other recent new hires as well.
>>
>> It would be lovely if each of the new hires could guest post on the
>> Foundation blog and/or write a page for Signpost once they've settled
>> in and let us know what their average day is like and some insight
>> into what they're working on. The staff is now getting to a size where
>> even close followers of Wikimedia are liable to lose track. Some
>> effort to keep the community feeling that they know all the staff
>> would be much appreciated.
>
> Hi Bod,
>
> I like the idea of having some kind of "first month at WMF" post,
> especially from someone in a very community-facing position like
> Fabrice. Let's plan to do that in February. I don't think it's a blog
> post but we can broadcast it here and in a couple of places.
>
> Cheers,
> Erik
>
> --
> Erik Möller
> VP of Engineering and Product Development, Wikimedia Foundation

Re: [Wikimedia Announcements] Announcement: Fabrice Florin joins Wikimedia

Tilman Bayer
On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 10:26 PM, Federico Leva (Nemo)
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Bod Notbod, 10/01/2012 21:57:

>> It would be lovely if each of the new hires could guest post on the
>> Foundation blog and/or write a page for Signpost once they've settled
>> in and let us know what their average day is like and some insight
>> into what they're working on. The staff is now getting to a size where
>> even close followers of Wikimedia are liable to lose track. Some
>> effort to keep the community feeling that they know all the staff
>> would be much appreciated.
>
> Personal perspectives are perhaps not very suitable for the "official
> blog" (but may be), anyway engineering reports are being published
> regularly since a while and they're a very good way to know what's going
> on at least in the technology department, without having to read MiB of
> text.
> https://blog.wikimedia.org/c/technology/wmf-engineering-reports/
> The other departments are more obscure. :-)
The other departments provide similar updates in the general WMF
monthly reports, see
https://blog.wikimedia.org/c/corporate/wmf-monthly-reports/ (or
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_reports#Monthly_reports
).