[Wikimedia Announcements] Announcing Howie Fung as Director of Product Development

[Wikimedia Announcements] Announcing Howie Fung as Director of Product Development

Erik Moeller-4
Hello all,

It’s with great pleasure that I announce the promotion of Howie Fung
to the position of Director of Product Development at the Wikimedia
Foundation, effective February 1.

Howie joined us in October 2009 as a consultant for usability
projects, and became a permanent staff member in May 2010. Prior to
Wikimedia, Howie was Senior Product Manager at Rhapsody, where he
helped grow the music site's traffic five-fold within the the first
year on the basis of extensive customer research, including web
analytics, focus groups, user testing, and customer surveys. Prior to
that, Howie was Product Manager at eBay, prioritizing features based
on business objectives, usability studies, and economic impact.  He
has an MBA from The Anderson School at UCLA and a Bachelor of Science
in Chemical Engineering from Stanford University.

I’m really proud of all the work Howie’s done for Wikimedia since he’s
joined, calmly and rationally introducing method where there was
madness, always challenging us to increase our understanding of our
communities and to use our limited resources for the projects that are
likely to have the highest impact. In addition to the work he’s done
on the Usability Initiative, he’s worked on a variety of projects,
including the Editor Trends Study, the Former Contributors Survey, the
Article Feedback Tool, Moodbar, and the Feedback Dashboard.  We’re
very lucky to have him in this new role.

This announcement also means that we’re formally establishing a
Product Development department at Wikimedia, which is part of the
larger Engineering department. Product, in our context, means really
digging into what we want our projects to look like in a year, in two
years, in three years, and working together with software developers
and architects, as well as across Wikimedia, to make that vision a
reality.  Our work will be organized along the following product
areas: Editor Engagement, Mobile, Analytics, and
Internationalization/Localization.

The following staff and contractors will be part of the Product group,
going forward: Phil Chang, Brandon Harris, Fabrice Florin, Diederik
van Liere, Siebrand Mazeland, Dario Taraborelli, Oliver Keyes, and the
new Interaction Designer, when hired.

The Mobile team, which works on both mobile apps (such as the
Wikipedia Android app) and the mobile web experience, is a good
example of how this works in practice. It has Phil as a product owner
(reporting to Howie), Tomasz as a scrum master and engineering
director, and Patrick, Arthur, Max, and Yuvi as engineers (reporting
to Tomasz). The team itself is the most important unit here: it drives
the success of any given initiative. The connection into the Product
Development group helps to ensure we follow a consistent strategy and
coordinate efforts across the board. [1]

This is an important step in our organizational development and will
help us parallelize and coordinate product and engineering work more
effectively.

Please join me in congratulating Howie, and WMF. :-)

All best,

Erik

[1]  In case you’d like to learn more about agile product development
and software engineering, this presentation is a good intro to scrum,
a specific methodology we've started to use on a couple of teams:
http://www.mountaingoatsoftware.com/presentations/30-an-overview-of-scrum

--
Erik Möller

Please note: all replies sent to this mailing list will be immediately directed to Foundation-L, the public mailing list about the Wikimedia Foundation and its projects. For more information about Foundation-L:

Re: [Wikimedia Announcements] Announcing Howie Fung as Director of Product Development

Patricia Pena
Congrats, Howie!

On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 10:07 AM, Erik Moeller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> Development group helps to ensure we follow a consistent strategy and
> coordinate efforts across the board. [1]
>
> This is an important step in our organizational development and will
> help us parallelize and coordinate product and engineering work more
> effectively.
>
> Please join me in congratulating Howie, and WMF. :-)
>
> All best,
>
> Erik
>
> [1]  In case you’d like to learn more about agile product development
> and software engineering, this presentation is a good intro to scrum,
> a specific methodology we've started to use on a couple of teams:
> http://www.mountaingoatsoftware.com/presentations/30-an-overview-of-scrum
>

> --
> Erik Möller
> VP of Engineering and Product Development, Wikimedia Foundation

Pats Pena | Global Fundraising Operations Manager
Wikimedia Foundation
office +1 (415) 839 6885 x6764
cell:   +1 (415) 816 3349
fax: +1 (415) 284 9511

the sum of all knowledge. Help us make it a reality!

Re: [Wikimedia Announcements] Announcing Howie Fung as Director of Product Development

Thehelpfulone

Congratulations Howie, and Happy
Birthday<http://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=List_of_Wikimedians_by_birthday&diff=35118&oldid=34909>
Erik!
:)
--
Thehelpfulone
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Thehelpfulone

Re: [Wikimedia Announcements] Announcing Howie Fung as Director of Product Development

Howie Fung
Thanks everyone!  I'm really looking forward to continuing to work with the
community & Foundation on some cool and important stuff!

If anyone has any questions about the product group (e.g., what to expect,
how it's organized, how we work with the community and other groups),
please drop me a line.

Howie

On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 10:32 AM, Thehelpfulone <[hidden email]
> [...]

> > Wikimedia Foundation
> > office +1 (415) 839 6885 x6764
> > cell:   +1 (415) 816 3349
> > fax: +1 (415) 284 9511
> >
> > Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in
> > the sum of all knowledge. Help us make it a reality!
> >
> > http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Donate
> >

> Congratulations Howie, and Happy
> Birthday<
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=List_of_Wikimedians_by_birthday&diff=35118&oldid=34909
> >
> Erik!
> :)
> --
> Thehelpfulone
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Thehelpfulone
> English Wikipedia Administrator
> Accounts-enwiki-l Moderator

Re: [Wikimedia Announcements] Announcing Howie Fung as Director of Product Development

Bod Notbod
On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 20:03, Howie Fung <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If anyone has any questions about the product group (e.g., what to expect,
> how it's organized, how we work with the community and other groups),
> please drop me a line.

I'm going to do the unforgivable... OK, what can we expect? :O)

Bodnotbod

Re: [Wikimedia Announcements] Announcing Howie Fung as Director of Product Development

metasj
This is great news. Congratulations, Howie.   SJ

On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 8:03 PM, Howie Fung <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks everyone!  I'm really looking forward to continuing to work with the
> community & Foundation on some cool and important stuff!
>
> If anyone has any questions about the product group (e.g., what to expect,
> how it's organized, how we work with the community and other groups),
> please drop me a line.
>
> Howie
>
> On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 10:32 AM, Thehelpfulone <[hidden email]
>> wrote:
>
>> On 30 January 2012 18:26, Patricia Pena <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > Congrats, Howie!

>> http://www.mountaingoatsoftware.com/presentations/30-an-overview-of-scrum

>> > --
>> > Pats Pena | Global Fundraising Operations Manager
>> > Wikimedia Foundation
>> > office +1 (415) 839 6885 x6764
>> > cell:   +1 (415) 816 3349
>> > fax: +1 (415) 284 9511
>> >
>> > Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in
>> > the sum of all knowledge. Help us make it a reality!
>> >
>> > http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Donate
>> >

>> Congratulations Howie, and Happy
>> Birthday<
>> http://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=List_of_Wikimedians_by_birthday&diff=35118&oldid=34909
>> >
>> Erik!
>> :)
>> --
>> Thehelpfulone
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Thehelpfulone
>> English Wikipedia Administrator
>> Accounts-enwiki-l Moderator

Samuel Klein          identi.ca:sj           w:user:sj          +1 617 529 4266

Re: [Wikimedia Announcements] Announcing Howie Fung as Director of Product Development

Howie Fung
Great question :).  I think the best way to answer is by example.

In addition to our mobile projects (which Erik referred to in his original
email), the Article Feedback Tool 5 project on the English Wikipedia
provides a good example of how the product group works [1].  The goal of
this project is to develop the next version of the feedback tool that is
currently on the bottom of articles on the English Wikipedia.  The basic
approach is to test a number of new feedback forms in order to see which
one is the best at engaging our reader community to help build the
encyclopedia [2].

In this project, Fabrice Florin is the Product Manager, responsible for
setting the overall direction for the project, as well as determining which
features to prioritize into which releases.  He does this in partnership
with a bunch of other folks, both at WMF and in our communities.  Oliver
Keyes, our Community Liaison, is responsible for reaching out to the
editing community and getting their input on key product decisions.  Oliver
has been holding weekly office hours  where we review the progress on the
project and get input from the community.  In this project, input from the
community consists not only of input on the designs, but also an evaluation
of the quality of feedback/comments left by readers.  To get a feel for
what is discussed during these office hours, please see the most recent one
at [3].  Brandon Harris, Senior Designer, provides design direction for the
project.  This includes helping the team understand user needs and how they
are met from a UX standpoint.  Dario Taraborelli, Senior Research Analyst,
provides the much needed analytical support for developing the feature (see
[4] for the dashboards he developed for the project).  The area where this
project differs from the ones WMF typically undertakes is that the actual
software development is done by an external vendor (OmniTi), vs. WMF staff
or volunteer developers.

In short, I would look for this type of general model when it comes to
product development -- a heavy emphasis on collaborating with the community
as well as analysis on how these features are performing.  One more thing
I'll also say is that, as Erik mentioned, we are using agile methodologies
for software development -- rapid iterations with quick feedback.  In many
of our features, we've been doing weekly to bi-weekly sprints.  We intend
to keep rapid cycle of deploy-measure-improve.

Howie

[1] http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Article_feedback/Version_5
[2]
http://blog.wikimedia.org/2011/12/20/a-new-way-to-contribute-to-wikipedia/
[3] http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/IRC_office_hours/Office_hours_2012-01-27
[4] http://toolserver.org/~dartar/

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 04:19, Howie Fung <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Great question :).  I think the best way to answer is by example.

Thank you, Howie.

Bod.