[Wikimedia Announcements] Announcing a new Wikimedia project: Abstract Wikipedia

[Wikimedia Announcements] Announcing a new Wikimedia project: Abstract Wikipedia

Katherine Maher
(A translatable version of this announcement can be found on Meta [1])

Hi all,

It is my honor to introduce Abstract Wikipedia [1], a new project that has been unanimously approved by the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees. Abstract Wikipedia proposes a new way to generate baseline encyclopedic content in a multilingual fashion, allowing more contributors and more readers to share more knowledge in more languages. It is an approach that aims to make cross-lingual cooperation easier on our projects, increase the sustainability of our movement through expanding access to participation, improve the user experience for readers of all languages, and innovate in free knowledge by connecting some of the strengths of our movement to create something new.

This is our first new project in over seven years. Abstract Wikipedia was submitted as a project proposal by Denny Vrandečić in May of 2020 [2] after years of preparation and research, leading to a detailed plan and lively discussions in the Wikimedia communities. We know that the energy and the creativity of the community often runs up against language barriers, and information that is available in one language may not make it to other language Wikipedias. Abstract Wikipedia intends to look and feel like a Wikipedia, but build on the powerful, language-independent conceptual models of Wikidata, with the goal of letting volunteers create and maintain Wikipedia articles across our polyglot Wikimedia world.

The project will allow volunteers to assemble the fundamentals of an article using words and entities from Wikidata. Because Wikidata uses conceptual models that are meant to be universal across languages, it should be possible to use and extend these building blocks of knowledge to create models for articles that also have universal value. Using code, volunteers will be able to translate these abstract “articles” into their own languages. If successful, this could eventually allow everyone to read about any topic in Wikidata in their own language.

As you can imagine, this work will require a lot of software development, and a lot of cooperation among Wikimedians. In order to make this effort possible, Denny will join the Foundation as a staff member in July and lead this initiative. You may know Denny as the creator of Wikidata, a long-time community member, a former staff member at Wikimedia Deutschland, and a former Trustee at the Wikimedia Foundation[3]. We are very excited that Denny will bring his skills and expertise to work on this project alongside the Foundation’s product, technology, and community liaison teams.

It is important to acknowledge that this is an experimental project and that every Wikipedia community has different needs. This project may offer some communities great advantages. Other communities may engage less. Every language Wikipedia community will be free to choose and moderate whether or how they would use content from this project.

We are excited that this new wiki-project has the possibility to advance knowledge equity through increased access to knowledge. It also invites us to consider and engage with critical questions about how and by whom knowledge is constructed. We look forward to working in cooperation with the communities to think through these important questions.

There is much to do as we begin designing a plan for Abstract Wikipedia in close collaboration with our communities. I encourage you to get involved by going to the project page and joining the new mailing list[4]. We recognize that Abstract Wikipedia is ambitious, but we also recognize its potential. We invite you all to join us on a new, unexplored path.

Yours,
Katherine Maher

Executive Director,
Wikimedia Foundation

[1] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:MyLanguage/Abstract Wikipedia/June 2020 announcement
[2] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:MyLanguage/Abstract_Wikipedia
[3] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Denny

Katherine Maher (she/her)

Executive Director

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Announcing a new Wikimedia project: Abstract Wikipedia

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
HAPPY NEWS :)

We will learn a lot, experience many challenges and it does have the
potential to provide more of the information that is available to us.
Particularly in languages other than English the impact can be huge.

At a Wikidata conference in Berlin we had someone from PanLex present [1],
with the new project this is a collaboration that will make a big
difference.

Happy to see many parts of the puzzle find a place.
Thanks,
      GerardM

[1] https://mobile.wikidatacon.org/#_session-SE-14

On Thu, 2 Jul 2020 at 18:04, Katherine Maher <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> close collaboration with our communities. I encourage you to get involved
> by going to the project page and joining the new mailing list[4]. We
> recognize that Abstract Wikipedia is ambitious, but we also recognize its
> potential. We invite you all to join us on a new, unexplored path.
>
> Yours,
> Katherine Maher
>
> Executive Director,
> Wikimedia Foundation
>
> [1] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:MyLanguage/Abstract
> Wikipedia/June 2020 announcement
> [2] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:MyLanguage/Abstract_Wikipedia
> [3] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Denny
>
> Katherine Maher (she/her)
>
> Executive Director

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Announcing a new Wikimedia project: Abstract Wikipedia

Tito Dutta
Excellent news. Congratulations and glad to see this project being approved.

On Thu, Jul 2, 2020, 9:34 PM Katherine Maher <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> close collaboration with our communities. I encourage you to get involved
> by going to the project page and joining the new mailing list[4]. We
> recognize that Abstract Wikipedia is ambitious, but we also recognize its
> potential. We invite you all to join us on a new, unexplored path.
>
> Yours,
> Katherine Maher
>
> Executive Director,
> Wikimedia Foundation
>
> [1] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:MyLanguage/Abstract
> Wikipedia/June 2020 announcement
> [2] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:MyLanguage/Abstract_Wikipedia
> [3] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Denny
>
> Katherine Maher (she/her)
>
> Executive Director

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Announcing a new Wikimedia project: Abstract Wikipedia

Brion Vibber-4
I'm extremely excited about this project!

Not only will this be directly useful on its own (and a fascinating project
in its own right!), but it will help our volunteer editors to ramp up good
base material to work with on the "prose" Wikipedias we already know and
love.

The idea is really to make the structured data we've all been putting into
Wikidata available in a human-readable form at a big scale, that's still
able to be shaped and made into something real and readable by human
editors. By moving around where in the chain the data gets expressed as
human language, we hope to make something that's just as editable but much
more maintainable in the future and across multiple languages.

-- brion

On Thu, Jul 2, 2020 at 9:04 AM Katherine Maher <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> close collaboration with our communities. I encourage you to get involved
> by going to the project page and joining the new mailing list[4]. We
> recognize that Abstract Wikipedia is ambitious, but we also recognize its
> potential. We invite you all to join us on a new, unexplored path.
>
> Yours,
> Katherine Maher
>
> Executive Director,
> Wikimedia Foundation
>
> [1] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:MyLanguage/Abstract
> Wikipedia/June 2020 announcement
> [2] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:MyLanguage/Abstract_Wikipedia
> [3] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Denny
>
> Katherine Maher (she/her)
>
> Executive Director

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Announcing a new Wikimedia project: Abstract Wikipedia

Bodhisattwa Mandal
Hi,

This is really an exciting news. This ambitious project will fill up the
knowledge gaps in different languages for sure and will definitely play a
vital role in preserving endangered and near-extinct languages in future.

Best wishes,
Bodhisattwa

On Thu, Jul 2, 2020, 21:54 Brion Vibber <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > by going to the project page and joining the new mailing list[4]. We
> > recognize that Abstract Wikipedia is ambitious, but we also recognize its
> > potential. We invite you all to join us on a new, unexplored path.
> >
> > Yours,
> > Katherine Maher
> >
> > Executive Director,
> > Wikimedia Foundation
> >
> > [1] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:MyLanguage/Abstract
> > Wikipedia/June 2020 announcement
> > [2]
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:MyLanguage/Abstract_Wikipedia
> > [3] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Denny
> >
> > Katherine Maher (she/her)
> >
> > Executive Director
> >
> > Wikimedia Foundation <https://wikimediafoundation.org/>

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Announcing a new Wikimedia project: Abstract Wikipedia

Denny Vrandečić-2
Katherine, thank you for the warm welcome and your kind words!

I am very happy to be given the opportunity to start this new project, and
deeply honored by the trust and confidence of the Board and the Foundation.

Thanks to the many who have listened to me talking about this project in
the last few years, read my papers and plans, commented on them,
scrutinized them, and offered encouragement, criticism, and advice. Thanks
to everyone who expressed their support and raised their concerns on the
proposal page on Meta [1]. It is thanks to you that the Board was confident
enough to make this decision.

There is a lot of work in front of us, and I will continue to rely on your
guidance and collective wisdom. We will need to foster a new community.
Just as with Wikidata, I hope that some of you will become active in the
new community, and I also want to make sure that we will be welcoming to
new contributors. We want to extend and grow the Wikimedia movement not
only with new functionalities, but also with new people.

Settling in this new position will take quite a bit of my attention in the
next few weeks, so please forgive me if I may be slow with answering your
questions between now and then. One of the first things we’ll do is to set
up new communication channels. We will continue discussing the project and
planning on Meta [2] for now and also welcome you to the new, dedicated
mailing list [3].

One of our first tasks together will be to find a name for the project. A
first set of proposals have already been made [4], and I invite you all to
come up with more ideas. We will start that off in July or August. Did I
mention that you can join us on Meta [2] to discuss proposals for names,
the project itself, and much more?

Again, thank you all! I am super excited about figuring this thing out with
you, and am looking forward to coming back to Wikimedia full-time.

Stay safe,
Denny

[1] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Abstract_Wikipedia
[2] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:MyLanguage/Abstract_Wikipedia
[4] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Abstract_Wikipedia/Name

On Thu, Jul 2, 2020 at 9:24 AM Brion Vibber <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > by going to the project page and joining the new mailing list[4]. We
> > recognize that Abstract Wikipedia is ambitious, but we also recognize its
> > potential. We invite you all to join us on a new, unexplored path.
> >
> > Yours,
> > Katherine Maher
> >
> > Executive Director,
> > Wikimedia Foundation
> >
> > [1] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:MyLanguage/Abstract
> > Wikipedia/June 2020 announcement
> > [2]
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:MyLanguage/Abstract_Wikipedia
> > [3] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Denny
> >
> > Katherine Maher (she/her)
> >
> > Executive Director
> >
> > Wikimedia Foundation <https://wikimediafoundation.org/>

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Announcing a new Wikimedia project: Abstract Wikipedia

Victoria Coleman-3
Denny,

This is extraordinarily good news! I am thrilled that the Foundation and the Community has taken it on board. I think it is a truly seminal, pivotal project for promulgating free knowledge to all corners of humanity. I just could not be happier to know that you will be shepherding the work! Warmest congratulations!

Victoria

> [...]
>>> by going to the project page and joining the new mailing list[4]. We
>>> recognize that Abstract Wikipedia is ambitious, but we also recognize its
>>> potential. We invite you all to join us on a new, unexplored path.
>>>
>>> Yours,
>>> Katherine Maher
>>>
>>> Executive Director,
>>> Wikimedia Foundation
>>>
>>> [1] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:MyLanguage/Abstract
>>> Wikipedia/June 2020 announcement
>>> [2]
>> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:MyLanguage/Abstract_Wikipedia
>>> [3] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Denny
>>> --
>>>
>>> Katherine Maher (she/her)
>>>
>>> Executive Director
>>>
>>> Wikimedia Foundation <https://wikimediafoundation.org/>

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Announcing a new Wikimedia project: Abstract Wikipedia

Isaac Olatunde
Wow! This is a great news.

Thanks for sharing Katherine.

With best wishes

Isaac.

On Thu, 2 Jul 2020, 17:39 Denny Vrandečić, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > > recognize that Abstract Wikipedia is ambitious, but we also recognize
> its
> > > potential. We invite you all to join us on a new, unexplored path.
> > >
> > > Yours,
> > > Katherine Maher
> > >
> > > Executive Director,
> > > Wikimedia Foundation
> > >
> > > [1] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:MyLanguage/Abstract
> > > Wikipedia/June 2020 announcement
> > > [2]
> > https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:MyLanguage/Abstract_Wikipedia
> > > [3] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Denny
> > > --
> > >
> > > Katherine Maher (she/her)
> > >
> > > Executive Director
> > >
> > > Wikimedia Foundation <https://wikimediafoundation.org/>

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Announcing a new Wikimedia project: Abstract Wikipedia

Galder Gonzalez Larrañaga
Excited to see even how this mind-blowing idea comes to live!

Congratulations

Galder
________________________________
> [...]

> > > recognize that Abstract Wikipedia is ambitious, but we also recognize
> its
> > > potential. We invite you all to join us on a new, unexplored path.
> > >
> > > Yours,
> > > Katherine Maher
> > >
> > > Executive Director,
> > > Wikimedia Foundation
> > >
> > > [1] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:MyLanguage/Abstract
> > > Wikipedia/June 2020 announcement
> > > [2]
> > https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:MyLanguage/Abstract_Wikipedia
> > > [3] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Denny
> > > --
> > >
> > > Katherine Maher (she/her)
> > >
> > > Executive Director
> > >
> > > Wikimedia Foundation <https://wikimediafoundation.org/>

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Announcing a new Wikimedia project: Abstract Wikipedia

metasj
Best news all year. Thank you for moving swiftly on this :)

It has been a fine thing too, to see WikiLambda experiments on Wikispore.
https://wikispore.wmflabs.org

I hope this may Herald a new wave of new and complementary projects.  There
are yet so many types of knowledge that have not found a home in our
wikiverse -- we are devising more every year (here's looking at you,
thingiverse & ML model hubs) -- and most of them do not naturally end up
with free knowledge platforms of their own.

SJ

🌍🌏🌎🌑

On Thu., Jul. 2, 2020, 12:04 p.m. Katherine Maher, <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> close collaboration with our communities. I encourage you to get involved
> by going to the project page and joining the new mailing list[4]. We
> recognize that Abstract Wikipedia is ambitious, but we also recognize its
> potential. We invite you all to join us on a new, unexplored path.
>
> Yours,
> Katherine Maher
>
> Executive Director,
> Wikimedia Foundation
>
> [1] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:MyLanguage/Abstract
> Wikipedia/June 2020 announcement
> [2] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:MyLanguage/Abstract_Wikipedia
> [3] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Denny
>
> Katherine Maher (she/her)
>
> Executive Director

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Announcing a new Wikimedia project: Abstract Wikipedia

Alessandro Marchetti via Wikimedia-l
Good to see such an abstract proposal to reach this point on the way
towards becoming a very real Wikimedia project!
d.

On Thu, Jul 2, 2020 at 1:05 PM Galder Gonzalez Larrañaga <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> and
> > > lead
> > > long-time
> and a
> that
> > > alongside

> and
> > > offer
> > > Every
> > whether
> > > or

> > advance
> invites
> > > us
> > with

> Wikipedia
> > > in
> > involved
> > its

> > > https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:MyLanguage/Abstract_Wikipedia

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Announcing a new Wikimedia project: Abstract Wikipedia

Christophe Henner
That is a great news!!! Congratulations :)

Just so we are all on the same page, the last approved project was Wikidata
right?

And back then, one of initial core members of the project was someone
called Denny Vrandečić too, right?

Denny, I'm happy to say that is how patterns start...

Stay safe and take care ^^

Le jeu. 2 juil. 2020 à 7:28 PM, Daniel Mietchen via Wikimedia-l <
[hidden email]> a écrit :

> [...]
> > > effort
> > and
> > and a
> > that

> > and
> may
> less.
> > > whether

> > > advance
> > invites
> whom
> > > with

> > Wikipedia
> > > involved
> We
> recognize
> > > its

> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:MyLanguage/Abstract_Wikipedia
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/abstract-wikipedia

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Announcing a new Wikimedia project: Abstract Wikipedia

João Alexandre Peschanski
Denny, this is very exciting! Congratulations to this wonderful opportunity.

We should definitely organize a Wikidata Lab on the new project and how we
can engage with it. (We might actually have to change the name of the labs,
damn!) Whenever you think is the right time for this event and if you
indeed think it is worth doing it, please let me know and we'll make it
work!

Again, this is great news! Count us in!

João

Em qui., 2 de jul. de 2020 às 13:39, Denny Vrandečić <[hidden email]>
escreveu:

> [...]
> > > recognize that Abstract Wikipedia is ambitious, but we also recognize
> its
> > > potential. We invite you all to join us on a new, unexplored path.
> > >
> > > Yours,
> > > Katherine Maher
> > >
> > > Executive Director,
> > > Wikimedia Foundation
> > >
> > > [1] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:MyLanguage/Abstract
> > > Wikipedia/June 2020 announcement
> > > [2]
> > https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:MyLanguage/Abstract_Wikipedia
> > > [3] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Denny
> > > --
> > >
> > > Katherine Maher (she/her)
> > >
> > > Executive Director
> > >
> > > Wikimedia Foundation <https://wikimediafoundation.org/>

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Announcing a new Wikimedia project: Abstract Wikipedia

Erik Moeller-3
This is wonderful news. :)

Thank you for the foresight to support this important initiative, and
huge thanks to Denny for continuing to tirelessly explore new ways to
make knowledge truly universally accessible! This project has the
potential to become a new foundation for learning about our world in
any language. I look forward to seeing this idea come to its fullest
fruition.

Warmly,

Erik

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Announcing a new Wikimedia project: Abstract Wikipedia

Effe iets anders
I guess that depends on whether you count WikiVoyage to be launched in 2003
or 2013 :)

On Thu, Jul 2, 2020 at 10:55 AM Christophe Henner <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> July
> > > and
> > > and a
> excited
> > > that
> teams.

> project
> > > and
> > may
> > less.

> > > invites
> > whom
> cooperation

> > > Wikipedia
> > We
> > recognize
> path.

> > https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:MyLanguage/Abstract_Wikipedia
> > https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/abstract-wikipedia

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Announcing a new Wikimedia project: Abstract Wikipedia

Roman Bustria Jr.
Congratulations on this new opportunity!

Once it rolls out to us content contributors, we will be glad to be a part
of it.

Kind regards,

Butch Bustria

On Fri, Jul 3, 2020, 12:39 AM Denny Vrandečić <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > > recognize that Abstract Wikipedia is ambitious, but we also recognize
> its
> > > potential. We invite you all to join us on a new, unexplored path.
> > >
> > > Yours,
> > > Katherine Maher
> > >
> > > Executive Director,
> > > Wikimedia Foundation
> > >
> > > [1] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:MyLanguage/Abstract
> > > Wikipedia/June 2020 announcement
> > > [2]
> > https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:MyLanguage/Abstract_Wikipedia
> > > [3] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Denny
> > > --
> > >
> > > Katherine Maher (she/her)
> > >
> > > Executive Director
> > >
> > > Wikimedia Foundation <https://wikimediafoundation.org/>

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Announcing a new Wikimedia project: Abstract Wikipedia

Gnangarra
sounds like a wonderful project that will help connect cultures and
languages in a helpful way for the users, look forward to seeing and
helping its development

On Fri, 3 Jul 2020 at 09:26, Butch Bustria <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > >
> > > Not only will this be directly useful on its own (and a fascinating
> > project
> > > in its own right!), but it will help our volunteer editors to ramp up
> > good
> > > base material to work with on the "prose" Wikipedias we already know
> and
> > > love.
> > >
> > > The idea is really to make the structured data we've all been putting
> > into
> > > Wikidata available in a human-readable form at a big scale, that's
> still
> > > able to be shaped and made into something real and readable by human
> > > editors. By moving around where in the chain the data gets expressed as
> > > human language, we hope to make something that's just as editable but
> > much
> > > more maintainable in the future and across multiple languages.

GN.

*Power of Diverse Collaboration*
*Sharing knowledge brings people together*
Wikimania Bangkok 2021
August
hosted by ESEAP

Wikimania: https://wikimania.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Gnangarra
Noongarpedia: https://incubator.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wp/nys/Main_Page
My print shop: https://www.redbubble.com/people/Gnangarra/shop?asc=u

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Announcing a new Wikimedia project: Abstract Wikipedia

phoebe ayers-3
Congratulations to everyone, this is exciting.

It is also very exciting that we have an almost-unprecedented opportunity
to build a new project that is fully informed by both lessons from own past
projects, as well as from the rapidly developing field of ethics in
computer science and AI. From our own past projects, we have learned (among
other things) that pitfalls could include contributor recruitment;
continued maintenance; transparency and accessibility of the UI; unclear
provenance of data; that many communities want a say in how they are
represented online, but often don't have one; and that the biases and
systemic biases of the world are reflected in who contributes, what sources
they use, and what areas of focus are. We have also learned that our
relationship with reusers, particularly around structured data that is
highly valued by commercial entities, is poorly defined and tenuous. From
the movement to build more ethical AI systems, we've learned (among other
things) that flawed model assumptions can result in unpredictable and often
deeply harmful downstream outcomes; that most sources of data are not
transparent in their limitations or provenance; and that incorporating the
concerns of people affected by systems can result in less biased data and
outcomes.

These are hard problems, and they are not problems that have obvious,
one-size-fits-all solutions. But we do have an obligation I think to
consider these issues front and center in this new project that we are
building. It concerns me that, at least in the high-level project proposals
I've seen (I haven't been tracking this closely, and haven't read the
academic papers) I have not yet seen discussions of ethical data, or how we
might think about identifying bias, or even how to recruit contributors and
the impact on existing contributors.

In my day job, I am the librarian for a pretty well-known computer science
school.[1] There, the recent movement to consider ethics in the computer
science curriculum, and in the systems that our computer scientists build,
is being discussed now at all levels of the university -- but is being led
primarily by students who recognize that they have an obligation, as the
next generation of engineers, to help build better systems for a better
world.  Meanwhile, as practitioners who build systems at Wikimedia, we
consider ourselves part of a small group of influential organizations that
is "making the internet not suck" -- we believe in openness, in community,
and in making sure that everyone in the world has access to knowledge, in
their own language; we believe in an aspirational better world. As a part
of this mission, we must take questions of ethics seriously -- and we do.
We have collectively spent thousands of hours trying to expand our
contributor base; thinking about systemic bias; thinking about sources and
provenance; trying to open up copyright to make knowledge accessible;
working with communities on indigenous knowledge; building UIs that are
easier to contribute to. These are all efforts related to our ethics and
values. With our new projects, we can set precedent. We can explore the
problems that we face today on Wikipedia, Wikidata, and Commons and
consider not just how to avoid them but how to build a better project. We
can do this in a multilingual context with perspectives from volunteers and
staff around the world, in a way that almost no other projects online --
certainly no single university or research group -- can. We can, without
much legacy infrastructure to hamper us, spin out worst-case and best case
scenarios, ask questions about our data and who might participate, think
about downstream consequences. And *that* is truly exciting.

best,
-- Phoebe

[1]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIT_Computer_Science_and_Artificial_Intelligence_Laboratory

On Thu, Jul 2, 2020 at 12:04 PM Katherine Maher <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> language Wikipedia community will be free to choose and moderate whether or
> how they would use content from this project.
>
> We are excited that this new wiki-project has the possibility to advance
> knowledge equity through increased access to knowledge. It also invites us
> to consider and engage with critical questions about how and by whom
> knowledge is constructed. We look forward to working in cooperation with
> the communities to think through these important questions.
>
> There is much to do as we begin designing a plan for Abstract Wikipedia in
> close collaboration with our communities. I encourage you to get involved
> by going to the project page and joining the new mailing list[4]. We
> recognize that Abstract Wikipedia is ambitious, but we also recognize its
> potential. We invite you all to join us on a new, unexplored path.

* I use this address for lists; send personal messages to phoebe.ayers <at>
gmail.com *

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Announcing a new Wikimedia project: Abstract Wikipedia

Denny Vrandečić-2
Thank you SJ, thank you all, for your very welcoming words, and your
congratulations!

Regarding Wikispore, yes, this is one of the first conversations that we
will have - where the preparatory discussions should happen. I am very much
in favor of Wikispore for that, as it is literally meant for that, but we
need to figure out a few things together.

I'll kick that off next week :)

And I agree, this way we can help each other to create even more fertile
ground for new ideas. I am very excited about that!

On Thu, Jul 2, 2020 at 10:25 AM Samuel Klein <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> involved by going to the project page and joining the new mailing list[4].
>> We recognize that Abstract Wikipedia is ambitious, but we also recognize
>> its potential. We invite you all to join us on a new, unexplored path.
>>
>> Yours,
>> Katherine Maher
>>
>> Executive Director,
>> Wikimedia Foundation
>>
>> [1] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:MyLanguage/Abstract
>> Wikipedia/June 2020 announcement
>> [2] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:MyLanguage/Abstract_Wikipedia
>> [3] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Denny
>> --
>>
>> Katherine Maher (she/her)
>>
>> Executive Director
>>
>> Wikimedia Foundation <https://wikimediafoundation.org/>

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Announcing a new Wikimedia project: Abstract Wikipedia

Thank you Phoebe for the congratulations, and thank you for the
considerations, and I agree with them.

On wiki, Denis Barthel and Ryan Kaldari already raised a number of the
concerns - although not all - that you are raising here.

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Abstract_Wikipedia#Kaldari's_concerns

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Abstract_Wikipedia#Revisiting_and_twisting_a_Kaldari_concern

And I tried to answer some of them there. But I do agree that this is not
sufficient, and I would love to be able to ensure that the ethical concerns
you raise do not get lost, and are sufficiently represented when we do the
project.

Alas, I am also a bit at a loss about how to ensure that. Yes, for some of
them, we have a pretty good, albeit developing understanding of how to
cover them, particularly around ethics and AI and about bias and ethical
data. Also I think doing several best / worst case scenario exercises at
relevant points is a great idea. The one thing that troubles me most,
though, is how to ensure that in the new communities that we will foster
the representation among contributors is indeed more representative of the
diversity in the world. To the best of my knowledge, we have no answers for
that - and I would very much want to learn about this.

So, here's what I can promise - among the many topics that we need to
discuss while we are ramping up the project, I will also start an explicit
discussion on how to make sure that ethical considerations are sufficiently
represented during the development of the project. I obviously cannot
promise that we will successfully avoid all ethical pitfalls - but I can
promise that I will do my best to do so.

It is, in the end, ethical concerns that motivated me, and some of them are
discussed and described here:

https://wikipedia20.pubpub.org/pub/vyf7ksah/release/6

It is this motivation of allowing more people to share in more knowledge in
more languages which drives me.

I hope you'll join us on the new list and keep an eye on what we're doing.
Your voice would be very appreciated.

Thank you!
Denny