[Wikimedia Announcements] Board appointment of Executive Director

[Wikimedia Announcements] Board appointment of Executive Director

Patricio Lorente

Dear all,

It is our great pleasure to share that during the Board meeting at Wikimania 2016 in Esino Lario, we unanimously voted to appoint Katherine Maher as Executive Director of the Wikimedia Foundation. This is effective as of our resolution dated Thursday, 23 June.

Katherine served as interim Executive Director for the past three months, during which time she consistently and repeatedly demonstrated the kind of leadership our organization needs. She is deeply committed to our movement’s values, and brings expertise in civic technology and international development that will be an asset to the Wikimedia Foundation and the movement.

We came to this conclusion after an intensive discovery process led by the ED search committee. Our decision was also informed by direct feedback from staff and community, and our own experience working closely with Katherine.

In March, we assembled an Executive Director search committee[1] consisting of four Board members¹ who were chosen to represent different perspectives and capacities.² Additionally, the Board asked the Foundation’s Chief Advancement Officer Lisa Gruwell to represent the executive team, and Foundation staff member Katie Horn was selected by her peers as someone who could represent staff perspectives. The committee was charged with keeping the process on track and on time, engaging important stakeholders, and facilitating transparency in communications. Their first tasks were to identify a search firm, and define the position description. You can review the committee’s updates on Meta.[2]

The committee recruited Viewcrest Advisors,³ to identify our leadership needs and design a hiring process. Kathleen Yazbak of Viewcrest worked with the committee to conduct interviews with every Foundation department, the executive, the Board, and nearly 20 additional one-on-one interviews with staff. Kathleen attended the Wikimedia Conference in Berlin, collecting feedback from community members and affiliates. The committee launched a community survey in June, receiving more than 1,600 responses about the qualities needed in the next ED; they also asked for feedback on Meta.[3] Taking all of this into account, the transition team developed a profile and requirements for the next Executive Director that reflect our values and our communities.

Throughout this process, the Board and the transition team received very clear and often unsolicited feedback from both staff and community members that Katherine embodies the values of our movement and the traits needed in our next ED. This feedback was only reinforced by the latest Foundation engagement survey results, which showed a strong shift toward renewed trust in leadership. After taking this all into account, and considering what the organization needs at this moment of transition, we moved to appoint Katherine now.

In just three months as interim ED, Katherine worked with the organization and community to make huge strides in management, execution, and transparency. She brought much-needed clarity to our strategic direction, and mobilized the organization to clearly communicate that direction through this year’s annual plan.

After her appointment, she worked with the leadership team to swiftly identify the organization’s priorities during the transition period and execute against them, setting ambitious but reachable targets. Under Katherine’s leadership, the Foundation submitted its annual plan to the Funds Dissemination Committee, leaving ample time for community feedback and discussion.

Katherine is an excellent fit for our movement. She is longtime advocate for global open communities, culture, and technology. She was the Foundation’s Chief Communications Officer from April 2014 until she was appointed interim ED in March. Throughout her career she has focused on freedom of expression, access to information, and digital rights; supporting the efforts of people around the world to deepen participation, advance transparency, and strengthen their communities through her work with UNICEF, National Democratic Institute for International Affairs, and the World Bank.  If you don’t already know Katherine, you can learn more about her on Meta.[4]

With this appointment, we feel strongly that the Foundation has the leadership and clarity to move forward. We wish Katherine the very best in this role, and the Board looks forward to continuing to work with her.

We would also like to thank the many community members and Foundation staff who actively shared thoughtful, highly valuable feedback. Without that, we would not have been able to come to this decision.

Please join us in congratulating Katherine!

Patricio Lorente, outgoing Board Chair

Christophe Henner, incoming Board Chair

  1. Alice Wiegand (Committee Chair), Dariusz Jemielniak, Guy Kawasaki, Kelly Battles.

  2. For example, community and governance experience, appointed and community-selected seats, and US and non-US perspectives.

  3. The committee reviewed 7 different firms and unanimously picked Viewcrest.

[1] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Executive_Director_Transition_Team/2016

[2 ]https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Executive_Director_Transition_Team/2016/Updates

[3] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Executive_Director_Transition_Team/2016/Community_input

[4] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Katherine_(WMF)

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Board appointment of Executive Director

jmh649
Wonderful news. Katherine is an amazing selection. Congrats and thanks to
all those involved.

James

On Fri, Jun 24, 2016 at 11:15 AM, Patricio Lorente <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> leadership and clarity to move forward. We wish Katherine the very best in
> this role, and the Board looks forward to continuing to work with her.
>
> We would also like to thank the many community members and Foundation
> staff who actively shared thoughtful, highly valuable feedback. Without
> that, we would not have been able to come to this decision.
>
> Please join us in congratulating Katherine!
>
> Patricio Lorente, outgoing Board Chair
>
> Christophe Henner, incoming Board Chair
>

>    1.
>
>    Alice Wiegand (Committee Chair), Dariusz Jemielniak, Guy Kawasaki,
>    Kelly Battles.
>    2.
>
>    For example, community and governance experience, appointed and
>    community-selected seats, and US and non-US perspectives.
>    3.
>
>    The committee reviewed 7 different firms and unanimously picked

James Heilman
MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian

The Wikipedia Open Textbook of Medicine
www.opentextbookofmedicine.com

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Board appointment of Executive Director

metasj
Brilliant news for the foundation!  Thank you for resolving this so
swiftly.   ~SJ
On Jun 24, 2016 11:26, "James Heilman" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >
> >    The committee reviewed 7 different firms and unanimously picked
> >    Viewcrest.
> >

> > ------------------------------
> >

> > [1]
> >
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Executive_Director_Transition_Team/2016
> >
> > [2 ]
> >
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Executive_Director_Transition_Team/2016/Updates
> >
> > [3]
> >
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Executive_Director_Transition_Team/2016/Community_input
> >
> > [4] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Katherine_(WMF)

> James Heilman
> MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian
>
> The Wikipedia Open Textbook of Medicine
> www.opentextbookofmedicine.com

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Board appointment of Executive Director

Oona Castro-2
Congratulations! Very good news indeed!
Em 24/06/2016 06:29, "Samuel Klein" <[hidden email]> escreveu:

> [...]
> > >    Viewcrest.
> > >

> > > ------------------------------
> > >

> > > [1]
> > >

> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Executive_Director_Transition_Team/2016
> > >
> > > [2 ]
> > >

> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Executive_Director_Transition_Team/2016/Updates
> > >
> > > [3]
> > >

> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Executive_Director_Transition_Team/2016/Community_input
> > >
> > > [4] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Katherine_(WMF)
> > > --

> > James Heilman
> > MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian
> >
> > The Wikipedia Open Textbook of Medicine
> > www.opentextbookofmedicine.com

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Board appointment of Executive Director

Shani Evenstein
Wonderful news! Well deserved.
A big thank you to the board for this sensible decision and (continued)
good luck to Katherine. :-)

Shani.
On 24 Jun 2016 11:30, "Oona Castro" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > > participation,
> work
> > and
> > more

> best
> > > in
> her.

> Without

> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Executive_Director_Transition_Team/2016

> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Executive_Director_Transition_Team/2016/Updates

> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Executive_Director_Transition_Team/2016/Community_input

> > > --
> > > James Heilman
> > > MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian
> > >
> > > The Wikipedia Open Textbook of Medicine
> > > www.opentextbookofmedicine.com

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Board appointment of Executive Director

Isaac Olatunde
Great news. Congratulations to Katherine.

All the best,

Isaac
Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless handheld from Glo Mobile.

[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>
>    The committee reviewed 7 different firms and unanimously picked
>    Viewcrest.
>

> ------------------------------
>

> [1]
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Executive_Director_Transition_Team/2016
>
> [2 ]
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Executive_Director_Transition_Team/2016/Updates
>
> [3]
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Executive_Director_Transition_Team/2016/Community_input
>
> [4] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Katherine_(WMF)

James Heilman
MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian

The Wikipedia Open Textbook of Medicine
www.opentextbookofmedicine.com

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Board appointment of Executive Director

Gregory Varnum-4
This message is also available on Meta-Wiki for translation:  https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Board_noticeboard/24_June_2016_-_Board_appointment_of_Wikimedia_Foundation_Executive_Director

-greg

---
Gregory Varnum
Communications Strategist (Contractor)
Wikimedia Foundation <http://www.wikimediafoundation.org/>
[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

> [...]
>

> [1] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Executive_Director_Transition_Team/2016 <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Executive_Director_Transition_Team/2016>
> [2 ]https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Executive_Director_Transition_Team/2016/Updates <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Executive_Director_Transition_Team/2016/Updates>
> [3] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Executive_Director_Transition_Team/2016/Community_input <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Executive_Director_Transition_Team/2016/Community_input>
> [4] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Katherine_(WMF) <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Katherine_(WMF)>

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Board appointment of Executive Director

Sydney Poore
Congratulations. I couldn't be more thrilled
Warm regards.
Sydney
On Jun 24, 2016 11:30 AM, "Oona Castro" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > > participation,
> work
> > and
> > more

> best
> > > in
> her.

> Without

> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Executive_Director_Transition_Team/2016

> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Executive_Director_Transition_Team/2016/Updates

> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Executive_Director_Transition_Team/2016/Community_input

> > > --
> > > James Heilman
> > > MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian
> > >
> > > The Wikipedia Open Textbook of Medicine
> > > www.opentextbookofmedicine.com

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Board appointment of Executive Director

Galileo Vidoni
I'm sure this is great news not only for the Foundation but also for the
movement as a whole.

Congratulations to Katherine and thanks to the Board for taking this
decision.

*Galileo Vidoni*
Presidente
A. C. Wikimedia Argentina

On Fri, Jun 24, 2016 at 12:37 PM, Sydney Poore <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Congratulations. I couldn't be more thrilled
> Warm regards.
> Sydney
> On Jun 24, 2016 11:30 AM, "Oona Castro" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Congratulations! Very good news indeed!
> > Em 24/06/2016 06:29, "Samuel Klein" <[hidden email]> escreveu:
> >
> > > Brilliant news for the foundation!  Thank you for resolving this so
> > > swiftly.   ~SJ

> thanks

> > > Katherine

> > > months,
> > kind

> > by
> > feedback

> > > different
> the
> > by
> > committee
> > > important
> Their

> > leadership
> > worked
> department,
> > > the
> interviews
> > > with
> > collecting
> > launched
> > the
> > > Meta.[3]
> > > profile
> > > values

> > > very
> > > needed
> > Foundation
> renewed
> > what
> appoint

> > > direction,
> direction

> swiftly
> > and
> Under
> > the
> > > feedback

> > > advocate
> > was
> focused
> > on
> > work
> Affairs,
> > > and
> > > more

> > best
> > her.

> Foundation
> > Without

> Kawasaki,

> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Executive_Director_Transition_Team/2016

> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Executive_Director_Transition_Team/2016/Updates

> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Executive_Director_Transition_Team/2016/Community_input

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Board appointment of Executive Director

Michael Maggs
Welcome Katherine, from all of us at Wikimedia UK.  That's fantastic news!

Michael

____________
Michael Maggs
Chair, WMUK

Patricio Lorente wrote:

> [...]
>
>     For example, community and governance experience, appointed and
>     community-selected seats, and US and non-US perspectives.
>
> 3.
>
>     The committee reviewed 7 different firms and unanimously picked
>     Viewcrest.

> [1]
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Executive_Director_Transition_Team/2016
>
> [2
> ]https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Executive_Director_Transition_Team/2016/Updates
>
> [3]
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Executive_Director_Transition_Team/2016/Community_input
>
> [4] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Katherine_(WMF)
> <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Katherine_%28WMF%29>

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Board appointment of Executive Director

Vitor Mazuco
Congratulations!

> [...]
>>     community-selected seats, and US and non-US perspectives.
>>
>> 3.
>>
>>     The committee reviewed 7 different firms and unanimously picked
>>     Viewcrest.

>> [1]
>> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Executive_Director_Transition_Team/2016
>>
>> [2
>> ]https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Executive_Director_Transition_Team/2016/Updates
>>
>> [3]
>> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Executive_Director_Transition_Team/2016/Community_input
>>
>> [4] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Katherine_(WMF)
>> <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Katherine_%28WMF%29>

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Board appointment of Executive Director

Peter Southwood
Looks like a good choice.

Good luck, Katherine

Cheers,

Peter

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Board appointment of Executive Director

Tito Dutta
Congrats, good luck and all the best.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Board appointment of Executive Director

Gregory Varnum-2
<Trying to imagine if he could be any more excited about this news.>

Nope - even with my wild imagination - it is simply not possible for me to be more pleased and excited by this news!!!

Congratulations, Katherine! I think this is fantastic news for the Foundation and movement!

-greg (User:Varnent)

> On Jun 24, 2016, at 4:56 PM, Peter Southwood <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Looks like a good choice.
>
> Good luck, Katherine
>
> Cheers,
>
> Peter

Tanweer Morshed
Congratulations Katherine! Great to see you as the new ED. And thanks to
the search committee for the wonderful decision.

Regards,
Tanweer Morshed
Wikimedia Bangladesh

On Friday, June 24, 2016, Gregory Varnum <[hidden email]> wrote:

> <Trying to imagine if he could be any more excited about this news.>
>
> Nope - even with my wild imagination - it is simply not possible for me to
> be more pleased and excited by this news!!!
>
> Congratulations, Katherine! I think this is fantastic news for the
> Foundation and movement!
>
> -greg (User:Varnent)
>

> > On Jun 24, 2016, at 4:56 PM, Peter Southwood <
> [hidden email] <javascript:;>> wrote:
> >
> > Looks like a good choice.
> >
> > Good luck, Katherine
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Peter

Tanweer

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Board appointment of Executive Director

Damon Sicore-2
Congratulations, Katherine!  Excellent work and great news.  :)

Yours faithfully,
Damon

D∀mon Sicor∃
https://damon.sicore.com
6E98 FBFB
D192 D325
B85D D4FF
FD2A 20ED
DC1D 3975

On Fri, Jun 24, 2016 at 2:15 AM, Patricio Lorente <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>
>    For example, community and governance experience, appointed and
>    community-selected seats, and US and non-US perspectives.
>    3.
>
>    The committee reviewed 7 different firms and unanimously picked
>    Viewcrest.
>

> ------------------------------
>

> [1]
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Executive_Director_Transition_Team/2016
>
> [2 ]
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Executive_Director_Transition_Team/2016/Updates
>
> [3]
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Executive_Director_Transition_Team/2016/Community_input
>
> [4] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Katherine_(WMF)

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Board appointment of Executive Director

Andrew Gray-3
On 24 June 2016 at 10:15, Patricio Lorente <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Dear all,
>

> It is our great pleasure to share that during the Board meeting at Wikimania
> 2016 in Esino Lario, we unanimously voted to appoint Katherine Maher as
> Executive Director of the Wikimedia Foundation. This is effective as of our
> resolution dated Thursday, 23 June.

Hi Patricio,

On a pretty miserable day here in the UK, this is really cheering
news. Congratulations to Katherine and well done to the Board for
making a clear decision.

Andrew.

--
- Andrew Gray

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Board appointment of Executive Director

shola ishola
Dear All,
We write to congratulate Katherine on her appointment as the new Executive Director of our foundation.
Wishing you the best.
Olaniyan Olushola
Team Lead, WUGN

    On Saturday, June 25, 2016 6:31 AM, Andrew Gray <[hidden email]> wrote:

 On 24 June 2016 at 10:15, Patricio Lorente <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Dear all,
>

> It is our great pleasure to share that during the Board meeting at Wikimania
> 2016 in Esino Lario, we unanimously voted to appoint Katherine Maher as
> Executive Director of the Wikimedia Foundation. This is effective as of our
> resolution dated Thursday, 23 June.

Hi Patricio,

On a pretty miserable day here in the UK, this is really cheering
news. Congratulations to Katherine and well done to the Board for
making a clear decision.

Andrew.

--
- Andrew Gray

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Board appointment of Executive Director

Jan-Bart de Vreede-3
Congratulations to Katherine for being an incredible positive force and make a great impression in such a short time as Interim! A well deserved reward :)

I have all the confidence that you are able to motivate those around you (and in our community) to perform at their best, work together and be creative.

The very best wishes in what is (as always) likely to be a challenging time :)

Jan-Bart

> [...]
>

> [1] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Executive_Director_Transition_Team/2016 <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Executive_Director_Transition_Team/2016>
> [2 ]https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Executive_Director_Transition_Team/2016/Updates <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Executive_Director_Transition_Team/2016/Updates>
> [3] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Executive_Director_Transition_Team/2016/Community_input <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Executive_Director_Transition_Team/2016/Community_input>
> [4] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Katherine_(WMF) <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Katherine_(WMF)>

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Board appointment of Executive Director

Christophe Henner
Hi everyone,

On top of the formal announcement, I’d like to share a few personal
thoughts.

Katherine Maher has been interim ED of the Wikimedia Foundation since
March. In the past few months, we’ve had the pleasure to witness her
ability to provide healthy leadership to Wikimedia Foundation staff. Thanks
to her abilities, she took the organisation to one with more engaged and
motivated teams.

But not only that, her contribution to Board meetings has been exemplary.
She opened up possibilities and discussions that will allow us to move
forward and become a better organisation. Katherine deeply shares our
values, and fits naturally within our movement.

I am really happy that she agreed to take on the permanent job, and can’t
wait for us to dive into making Wikimedia Foundation a better organisation.

At the same time, I would like to personally thank Frieda and Patricio for
the time they served as Trustees of the Wikimedia Foundation, as last week
was the conclusion of their Board terms. It also feels weird not to serve
with them as I’ve known the two of them for 10 years and would have love to
spend more time with them.

They served our movement during difficult times. I hope we’ll have the
pleasure to see them keep on wandering in the Wikimedia sphere, and wish
them to enjoy all the free time they’ve just got back with their loved
ones.

Please take the opportunity to share your thanks to Frieda and Patricio,
and to congratulate and welcome Katherine in her new position.

All the best,

Christophe