[Wikimedia Announcements] Board update

Patricio Lorente
All,

As many of you already know, Denny Vrandečić has announced his resignation from the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees, effective today, April 8th. On behalf of the Board, I would like to thank Denny for his service to the movement and to the Wikimedia Foundation. We wish him the best during his wikibreak, and look forward to seeing him on the projects and around the movement.

When Denny informed the Board that he was stepping down, we began to consider how we would move forward. We recognize the importance of filling the two vacancies on the Board, and would like to proceed in a way that respects the will of the community and responds to existing Board needs. The Board will be meeting in Berlin during the Wikimedia Conference on April 22nd and 23rd - during this time we will discuss how we should fill the open community-nominated and appointed Trustee seats.

I look forward to sharing more information with you in late April.

                                      Patricio

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Board update

Sydney Poore
Thank you Patricio for the update.

Where or how is the best way for the community to solicit suggestions about
making these new appointments. On meta?

Sydney

Sydney Poore
User:FloNight
Wikipedian in Residence
at Cochrane Collaboration

On Fri, Apr 8, 2016 at 2:20 PM, Patricio Lorente <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> All,
>
> As many of you already know, Denny Vrandečić has announced his resignation
> from the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees, effective today, April
> 8th. On behalf of the Board, I would like to thank Denny for his service to
> the movement and to the Wikimedia Foundation. We wish him the best during
> his wikibreak, and look forward to seeing him on the projects and around
> the movement.
>
> When Denny informed the Board that he was stepping down, we began to
> consider how we would move forward. We recognize the importance of filling
> the two vacancies on the Board, and would like to proceed in a way that
> respects the will of the community and responds to existing Board needs.
> The Board will be meeting in Berlin during the Wikimedia Conference on
> April 22nd and 23rd - during this time we will discuss how we should fill
> the open community-nominated and appointed Trustee seats.
>
> I look forward to sharing more information with you in late April.
>
>                                       Patricio

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Board update

Patricio Lorente
Yes, I think meta es a good place for that, Sidney; you can use the Board
noticeboard at
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Board_noticeboard

 Thank you!

                                              Patricio

El vie., 8 de abr. de 2016 a la(s) 15:30, Sydney Poore <
[hidden email]> escribió:

> Thank you Patricio for the update.
>
> Where or how is the best way for the community to solicit suggestions about
> making these new appointments. On meta?
>
> Sydney
>
> Sydney Poore
> User:FloNight
> Wikipedian in Residence
> at Cochrane Collaboration
>
> On Fri, Apr 8, 2016 at 2:20 PM, Patricio Lorente <
> [hidden email]
> > wrote:
>
> > All,
> >
> > As many of you already know, Denny Vrandečić has announced his
> resignation
> > from the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees, effective today, April
> > 8th. On behalf of the Board, I would like to thank Denny for his service
> > the movement and to the Wikimedia Foundation. We wish him the best during
> > his wikibreak, and look forward to seeing him on the projects and around
> > the movement.
> >
> > When Denny informed the Board that he was stepping down, we began to
> > consider how we would move forward. We recognize the importance of
> filling
> > the two vacancies on the Board, and would like to proceed in a way that
> > respects the will of the community and responds to existing Board needs.
> > The Board will be meeting in Berlin during the Wikimedia Conference on
> > April 22nd and 23rd - during this time we will discuss how we should fill
> > the open community-nominated and appointed Trustee seats.
> >
> > I look forward to sharing more information with you in late April.
> >
> >                                       Patricio

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Board update

MZMcBride-2
Patricio Lorente wrote:

> When Denny informed the Board that he was stepping down, we began to
>consider how we would move forward. We recognize the importance of
>filling the two vacancies on the Board, and would like to proceed in a
>way that respects the will of the community and responds to existing
>Board needs. The Board will be meeting in Berlin during the Wikimedia
>Conference on April 22nd and 23rd - during this time we will discuss how
>we should fill the open community-nominated and appointed Trustee seats.
>

>I look forward to sharing more information with you in late April.

April has now come and gone. Is there any new information about filling
these two vacancies on the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees?

In poking around to see if I had missed a post somewhere, I found this
on-wiki reply by Patricio from May 4, 2016:
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?diff=15578608&oldid=15578561>.
 The reply is vaguely related to the vacant seats; I imagine its contents
will be of interest to this list.

MZMcBride

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Board update

Dariusz Jemielniak-3
05.05.2016 12:11 AM "MZMcBride" <[hidden email]> napisał(a):

> April has now come and gone. Is there any new information about filling
> these two vacancies on the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees?

Regarding the expert seat, we have discussed our needs in Berlin, clarified
a bit of previously unresolved issues and are moving forward. We are going
to discuss the desired profiles within the BGC, and plan to move forward
with an appointment later this year.

Regarding the community seat, I am in conversation with the Election
Committee, which has narrowed it down to just a few options. We are going
to finish this discussion soon and I expect the timeline to be announced
before Wikimania.

Best,

Dariusz (a current trustee)

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Board update

Andreas Kolbe-2
On Sat, May 7, 2016 at 7:17 PM, Dariusz Jemielniak <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Regarding the community seat, I am in conversation with the Election
> Committee, which has narrowed it down to just a few options. We are going
> to finish this discussion soon and I expect the timeline to be announced
> before Wikimania.

Are you considering reinstating James Heilman, as one of these options?

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Board update

Anders Wennersten-2
Den 2016-05-07 kl. 22:25, skrev Andreas Kolbe:

> On Sat, May 7, 2016 at 7:17 PM, Dariusz Jemielniak <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Regarding the community seat, I am in conversation with the Election
>> Committee, which has narrowed it down to just a few options. We are going
>> to finish this discussion soon and I expect the timeline to be announced
>> before Wikimania.
>>

> Are you considering reinstating James Heilman, as one of these options?

The Election Committee early on in these discussion came to favour an
election to resolve the vacancy rather then by appointment.

But when it comes to an election we are not in full agreement if an
election of one is the preferred option or an election of all three
community seats (an early ordinary election). Also in the question of
when, we find there is a lot a practical issues  to take into
consideration (when will the new standing election committee be fully in
place? is it doable to have an election during summer months?, the
timing of the actual appointment to the Board after the (s)election etc)

Anders