[Wikimedia Announcements] English Wikipedia to go dark January 18 in opposition to SOPA/PIPA

[Wikimedia Announcements] English Wikipedia to go dark January 18 in opposition to SOPA/PIPA

Jay Walsh
*English Wikipedia to go dark January 18 in opposition to SOPA/PIPA
*
San Francisco -- January 16, 2012 -- On January 18, 2012, in an
unprecedented decision, the Wikipedia community has chosen to blackout the
English version of Wikipedia for 24 hours, in protest against proposed
legislation in the United States — the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) in the
U.S. House of Representatives, and PROTECTIP (PIPA) in the U.S. Senate. If
passed, this legislation will harm the free and open Internet and bring
about new tools for censorship of international websites inside the United
States.

Wikipedia administrators confirmed this decision Monday afternoon (PST) in
a public statement (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:SOPA_initiative/Action#Summary_and_conclusion
):

Over the course of the past 72 hours, over 1800 Wikipedians have joined
together to discuss proposed actions that the community might wish to take
against SOPA and PIPA. This is by far the largest level of participation in
a community discussion ever seen on Wikipedia, which illustrates the level
of concern that Wikipedians feel about this proposed legislation. The
overwhelming majority of participants support community action to encourage
greater public action in response to these two bills. Of the proposals
considered by Wikipedians, those that would result in a "blackout" of the
English Wikipedia, in concert with similar blackouts on other websites
opposed to SOPA and PIPA, received the strongest support.

“Today Wikipedians from around the world have spoken about their opposition
to this destructive legislation," said Jimmy Wales, founder of Wikipedia.
"This is an extraordinary action for our community to take - and while we
regret having to prevent the world from having access to Wikipedia for even
a second, we simply cannot ignore the fact that SOPA and PIPA endanger free
speech both in the United States and abroad, and set a frightening
precedent of Internet censorship for the world."

We urge Wikipedia readers to make your voices heard. If you live in the
United States, find your elected representative in Washington (
https://www.eff.org/sopacall). If you live outside the United States,
contact your State Department, Ministry of Foreign Affairs or similar
branch of government. Tell them you oppose SOPA and PIPA, and want the
internet to remain open and free.

*About the Wikimedia Foundation
*http://wikimediafoundation.org
http://blog.wikimedia.org

The Wikimedia Foundation is the non-profit organization that operates
Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. According to comScore Media Metrix,
Wikipedia and the other projects operated by the Wikimedia Foundation
receive more than 474 million unique visitors per month, making them the
fifth-most popular web property world-wide (comScore, November 2011).
Available in 282 languages, Wikipedia contains more than 20 million
articles contributed by a global volunteer community of more than 100,000
people. Based in San Francisco, California, the Wikimedia Foundation is an
audited, 501(c)(3) charity that is funded primarily through donations and
grants.

*Media Contact:
*
Jay Walsh
Head of Communications
Wikimedia Foundation
Tel. +1 415 839 6885 x 6609
[hidden email]

(To be removed from this mailing list, please reply with 'unsubscribe' in
the subject line)

Please note: all replies sent to this mailing list will be immediately directed to Foundation-L, the public mailing list about the Wikimedia Foundation and its projects. For more information about Foundation-L:

[Wikimedia Announcements] English Wikipedia to go dark January 18 in opposition to SOPA/PIPA

Jay Walsh
Please also see the related blog post,
http://blog.wikimedia.org/2012/01/16/wikipedias-community-calls-for-anti-sopa-blackout-january-18/

The release is posted here:
http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Press_releases/English_Wikipedia_to_go_dark

[...]

Re: English Wikipedia to go dark January 18 in opposition to SOPA/PIPA

Trần Nguyễn Minh Huy
Vietnamese Wikipedia Community also want to supports the protest. How
do we show banner through CentralNotice of Meta-Wiki?

Thank you.

2012/1/17, Jay Walsh <[hidden email]>:

> Please also see the related blog post,
> http://blog.wikimedia.org/2012/01/16/wikipedias-community-calls-for-anti-sopa-blackout-january-18/
>
> The release is posted here:
> http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Press_releases/English_Wikipedia_to_go_dark
>
> *English Wikipedia to go dark January 18 in opposition to SOPA/PIPA
> *
> San Francisco -- January 16, 2012 -- On January 18, 2012, in an
> unprecedented decision, the Wikipedia community has chosen to blackout the
> English version of Wikipedia for 24 hours, in protest against proposed
> legislation in the United States — the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) in the
> U.S. House of Representatives, and PROTECTIP (PIPA) in the U.S. Senate. If
> passed, this legislation will harm the free and open Internet and bring
> about new tools for censorship of international websites inside the United
> States.
>
> Wikipedia administrators confirmed this decision Monday afternoon (PST) in
> a public statement (
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:SOPA_initiative/Action#Summary_and_conclusion
> ):
>
> Over the course of the past 72 hours, over 1800 Wikipedians have joined
> together to discuss proposed actions that the community might wish to take
> against SOPA and PIPA. This is by far the largest level of participation in
> a community discussion ever seen on Wikipedia, which illustrates the level
> of concern that Wikipedians feel about this proposed legislation. The
> overwhelming majority of participants support community action to encourage
> greater public action in response to these two bills. Of the proposals
> considered by Wikipedians, those that would result in a "blackout" of the
> English Wikipedia, in concert with similar blackouts on other websites
> opposed to SOPA and PIPA, received the strongest support.
>
> “Today Wikipedians from around the world have spoken about their opposition
> to this destructive legislation," said Jimmy Wales, founder of Wikipedia.
> "This is an extraordinary action for our community to take - and while we
> regret having to prevent the world from having access to Wikipedia for even
> a second, we simply cannot ignore the fact that SOPA and PIPA endanger free
> speech both in the United States and abroad, and set a frightening
> precedent of Internet censorship for the world."
>
> We urge Wikipedia readers to make your voices heard. If you live in the
> United States, find your elected representative in Washington (
> https://www.eff.org/sopacall). If you live outside the United States,
> contact your State Department, Ministry of Foreign Affairs or similar
> branch of government. Tell them you oppose SOPA and PIPA, and want the
> internet to remain open and free.

--Minh Huy (Minata Hatsune)
---volunteer and Vietnamese translation coordinator of the Wikimedia
Foundation---

Re: [Wikimedia Announcements] English Wikipedia to go dark January 18 in opposition to SOPA/PIPA

Liam Wyatt
Thanks for this announcement Jay, and everyone involved in the planning of
this unprecedented action.

Quick clarification:
What time, precisely, will this be occurring?
The on-wiki summary states "...for 24 hours starting at 05:00 UTC on
January 18, 2012, or at another time as determined by the Wikimedia
Foundation." could you just confirm what time this will happen, thanks.

-Liam

On Tuesday, 17 January 2012, Jay Walsh <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Please also see the related blog post,

http://blog.wikimedia.org/2012/01/16/wikipedias-community-calls-for-anti-sopa-blackout-january-18/

> The release is posted here:

http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Press_releases/English_Wikipedia_to_go_dark

> *English Wikipedia to go dark January 18 in opposition to SOPA/PIPA
> *
> San Francisco -- January 16, 2012 -- On January 18, 2012, in an
> unprecedented decision, the Wikipedia community has chosen to blackout the
> English version of Wikipedia for 24 hours, in protest against proposed
> legislation in the United States — the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) in
the
> U.S. House of Representatives, and PROTECTIP (PIPA) in the U.S. Senate. If
> passed, this legislation will harm the free and open Internet and bring
> about new tools for censorship of international websites inside the United
> States.
>
> Wikipedia administrators confirmed this decision Monday afternoon (PST) in
> a public statement (

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:SOPA_initiative/Action#Summary_and_conclusion
> ):
>
> Over the course of the past 72 hours, over 1800 Wikipedians have joined
> together to discuss proposed actions that the community might wish to take
> against SOPA and PIPA. This is by far the largest level of participation
in
> a community discussion ever seen on Wikipedia, which illustrates the level
> of concern that Wikipedians feel about this proposed legislation. The
> overwhelming majority of participants support community action to
encourage
> greater public action in response to these two bills. Of the proposals
> considered by Wikipedians, those that would result in a "blackout" of the
> English Wikipedia, in concert with similar blackouts on other websites
> opposed to SOPA and PIPA, received the strongest support.
>
> “Today Wikipedians from around the world have spoken about their
opposition
> to this destructive legislation," said Jimmy Wales, founder of Wikipedia.
> "This is an extraordinary action for our community to take - and while we
> regret having to prevent the world from having access to Wikipedia for
even
> a second, we simply cannot ignore the fact that SOPA and PIPA endanger
free

> speech both in the United States and abroad, and set a frightening
> precedent of Internet censorship for the world."
>
> We urge Wikipedia readers to make your voices heard. If you live in the
> United States, find your elected representative in Washington (
> https://www.eff.org/sopacall). If you live outside the United States,
> contact your State Department, Ministry of Foreign Affairs or similar
> branch of government. Tell them you oppose SOPA and PIPA, and want the
> internet to remain open and free.

Peace, love & metadata

Re: [Wikimedia Announcements] English Wikipedia to go dark January 18 in opposition to SOPA/PIPA

Jay Walsh
As far as we know, it's 0500 UTC

On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 7:22 PM, Liam Wyatt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> opposition
> > to this destructive legislation," said Jimmy Wales, founder of Wikipedia.
> > "This is an extraordinary action for our community to take - and while we
> > regret having to prevent the world from having access to Wikipedia for
> even
> > a second, we simply cannot ignore the fact that SOPA and PIPA endanger
> free
> > speech both in the United States and abroad, and set a frightening
> > precedent of Internet censorship for the world."
> >
> > We urge Wikipedia readers to make your voices heard. If you live in the
> > United States, find your elected representative in Washington (
> > https://www.eff.org/sopacall). If you live outside the United States,
> > contact your State Department, Ministry of Foreign Affairs or similar
> > branch of government. Tell them you oppose SOPA and PIPA, and want the

Jay Walsh
Head of Communications
WikimediaFoundation.org
blog.wikimedia.org
+1 (415) 839 6885 x 6609, @jansonw

Re: [Wikimedia Announcements] English Wikipedia to go dark January 18 in opposition to SOPA/PIPA

KIZU Naoko
Thanks, Jay and everyone both involved and concerned. I tried to give
an input but page was too edited and thus cause edit conflict, and
perhaps I'd not be alone :D I hope everyone who happened to miss the
opportunity to submit their own voices to the wiki page, they however
are pleased to the process and result community consensus.

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 12:22 PM, Liam Wyatt <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks for this announcement Jay, and everyone involved in the planning of
> this unprecedented action.
>
> Quick clarification:
> What time, precisely, will this be occurring?
> The on-wiki summary states "...for 24 hours starting at 05:00 UTC on
> January 18, 2012, or at another time as determined by the Wikimedia
> Foundation." could you just confirm what time this will happen, thanks.

Same clarification of the exact hour is highly appreciated. Reuters
say it'll begin at Jan 18, 2012, EST, 0:00, but I don't know their
source. If the given hour is incorrect, the sooner collection, the
better.

Cheers,

> [...]
> opposition
>> to this destructive legislation," said Jimmy Wales, founder of Wikipedia.
>> "This is an extraordinary action for our community to take - and while we
>> regret having to prevent the world from having access to Wikipedia for
> even
>> a second, we simply cannot ignore the fact that SOPA and PIPA endanger
> free
>> speech both in the United States and abroad, and set a frightening
>> precedent of Internet censorship for the world."
>>
>> We urge Wikipedia readers to make your voices heard. If you live in the
>> United States, find your elected representative in Washington (
>> https://www.eff.org/sopacall). If you live outside the United States,
>> contact your State Department, Ministry of Foreign Affairs or similar
>> branch of government. Tell them you oppose SOPA and PIPA, and want the

KIZU Naoko / 木津尚子
member of Wikimedians in Kansai  / 関西ウィキメディアユーザ会 http://kansai.wikimedia.jp

Re: English Wikipedia to go dark January 18 in opposition to SOPA/PIPA

James Alexander-4
Hey Minh,

The easiest way is probably just to put up a note on Mediawiki:Sitenotice
for the Vietnamese Wikipedia.

James
On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 6:14 PM, Minh Huy (WMF) <[hidden email]>wrote:

> [...]
> > regret having to prevent the world from having access to Wikipedia for
> even
> > a second, we simply cannot ignore the fact that SOPA and PIPA endanger
> free
> > speech both in the United States and abroad, and set a frightening
> > precedent of Internet censorship for the world."
> >
> > We urge Wikipedia readers to make your voices heard. If you live in the
> > United States, find your elected representative in Washington (
> > https://www.eff.org/sopacall). If you live outside the United States,
> > contact your State Department, Ministry of Foreign Affairs or similar
> > branch of government. Tell them you oppose SOPA and PIPA, and want the
> > internet to remain open and free.

> --Minh Huy (Minata Hatsune)
> ---volunteer and Vietnamese translation coordinator of the Wikimedia

James Alexander
Business Analyst - Fundraising

Re: [Wikimedia Announcements] English Wikipedia to go dark January 18 in opposition to SOPA/PIPA

Delphine Ménard
On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 4:22 AM, Liam Wyatt <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks for this announcement Jay, and everyone involved in the planning of
> this unprecedented action.

For what it's worth, I want to particularly thank the Italian
Community, for showing us with their own blackout what power Wikipedia
can unleash to fight for freedom.

Cheers,

Delphine
--
@notafish

Re: [Wikimedia Announcements] English Wikipedia to go dark January 18 in opposition to SOPA/PIPA

Marco Chiesa
2012/1/17 Delphine Ménard <[hidden email]>:
> On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 4:22 AM, Liam Wyatt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Thanks for this announcement Jay, and everyone involved in the planning of
>> this unprecedented action.
>
> For what it's worth, I want to particularly thank the Italian
> Community, for showing us with their own blackout what power Wikipedia
> can unleash to fight for freedom.

We will always love you, Delphine!
Marco (Cruccone on it.wp)

Re: [Wikimedia Announcements] English Wikipedia to go dark January 18 in opposition to SOPA/PIPA

Milos Rancic-2
Wikimedia Serbia also supports English Wikipedians [1] (English
grammar fixes are welcome :) ):

Wikimedia Serbia wants to express solidarity with English Wikipedians
in protest against the proposed laws -- SOPA and PIPA --, which
undermine the freedom of information on Internet.

Unlike the laws in other countries of the world, laws in the United
States of America affect the whole world, as the main Internet
institutions are US based organizations.

However, general behavior of the authorities of United States have
much wider consequences: Freedom of expression in many parts of the
world heavily depends on hard stance of US authorities in favor of
them. Laws like SOPA and PIPA would create devastating consequences in
many parts of the world, where freedom of expression is still fragile.

[1] http://rs.wikimedia.org/wiki/Stav_1/2012

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 02:09, Jay Walsh <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> people. Based in San Francisco, California, the Wikimedia Foundation is an
> audited, 501(c)(3) charity that is funded primarily through donations and
> grants.
>

> *Media Contact:
> *
> Jay Walsh
> Head of Communications
> Wikimedia Foundation
> Tel. +1 415 839 6885 x 6609
> [hidden email]
>
> (To be removed from this mailing list, please reply with 'unsubscribe' in
> the subject line)

> Please note: all replies sent to this mailing list will be immediately directed to Foundation-L, the public mailing list about the Wikimedia Foundation and its projects. For more information about Foundation-L:

Re: [Wikimedia Announcements] English Wikipedia to go dark January 18 in opposition to SOPA/PIPA

metasj
2012/1/17 Delphine Ménard <[hidden email]>

> On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 4:22 AM, Liam Wyatt <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Thanks for this announcement Jay, and everyone involved in the planning
> of
> > this unprecedented action.
>
> For what it's worth, I want to particularly thank the Italian
> Community, for showing us with their own blackout what power Wikipedia
> can unleash to fight for freedom.

+1 -- and for reminding us what an impact a focused large-scale community
discussion can have on all aspects of running the projects.

SJ

Re: [Wikimedia Announcements] English Wikipedia to go dark January 18 in opposition to SOPA/PIPA

Emilio J. Rodríguez-Posada
The Italian bill was not removed, the vote was just delayed. So, if any, I
see a poor effect here after compromising our goals.

2012/1/17 Samuel Klein <[hidden email]>

> 2012/1/17 Delphine Ménard <[hidden email]>
>
> > On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 4:22 AM, Liam Wyatt <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > Thanks for this announcement Jay, and everyone involved in the planning
> > of
> > > this unprecedented action.
> >
> > For what it's worth, I want to particularly thank the Italian
> > Community, for showing us with their own blackout what power Wikipedia
> > can unleash to fight for freedom.
> >

> +1 -- and for reminding us what an impact a focused large-scale community
> discussion can have on all aspects of running the projects.
>
> SJ

Re: [Wikimedia Announcements] English Wikipedia to go dark January 18 in opposition to SOPA/PIPA

Nathan Awrich
http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/01/17/the-great-wikipedia-blackout-of-2012-media-try-to-fill-the-void/

#altwiki - a place for various news organizations, including NPR and
Washington Post in the U.S., to answer questions for people while
en.wp is down.

Re: [Wikimedia Announcements] English Wikipedia to go dark January 18 in opposition to SOPA/PIPA

Trần Nguyễn Minh Huy
Landing page SOPA on Vietnamese Wikipedia:
https://vi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Ph%E1%BA%A3n_%C4%91%E1%BB%91i_SOPA

Based on Catalan Wikipedia.

2012/1/18, Nathan <[hidden email]>:

> http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/01/17/the-great-wikipedia-blackout-of-2012-media-try-to-fill-the-void/
>
> #altwiki - a place for various news organizations, including NPR and
> Washington Post in the U.S., to answer questions for people while
> en.wp is down.

--Minh Huy (Minata Hatsune)
---volunteer and Vietnamese translation coordinator of the Wikimedia
Foundation---

Re: [Wikimedia Announcements] English Wikipedia to go dark January 18 in opposition to SOPA/PIPA

Chris Lee-18
The "Learn More" link at en.wp is blocked too.

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 9:02 PM, Minh Huy (WMF) <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Landing page SOPA on Vietnamese Wikipedia:
> https://vi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Ph%E1%BA%A3n_%C4%91%E1%BB%91i_SOPA
>
> Based on Catalan Wikipedia.
>
> 2012/1/18, Nathan <[hidden email]>:
> >
> http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/01/17/the-great-wikipedia-blackout-of-2012-media-try-to-fill-the-void/
> >
> > #altwiki - a place for various news organizations, including NPR and
> > Washington Post in the U.S., to answer questions for people while
> > en.wp is down.

> --Minh Huy (Minata Hatsune)
> ---volunteer and Vietnamese translation coordinator of the Wikimedia
> Foundation---

Re: [Wikimedia Announcements] English Wikipedia to go dark January 18 in opposition to SOPA/PIPA

phoebe ayers-3
Should be fixed now; right at the very beginning it was blacked out
accidentally. . -- phoebe

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 9:03 PM, Chris Lee <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The "Learn More" link at en.wp is blocked too.
>
> On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 9:02 PM, Minh Huy (WMF) <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> Landing page SOPA on Vietnamese Wikipedia:
>> https://vi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Ph%E1%BA%A3n_%C4%91%E1%BB%91i_SOPA
>>
>> Based on Catalan Wikipedia.
>>
>> 2012/1/18, Nathan <[hidden email]>:
>> >
>> http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/01/17/the-great-wikipedia-blackout-of-2012-media-try-to-fill-the-void/
>> >
>> > #altwiki - a place for various news organizations, including NPR and
>> > Washington Post in the U.S., to answer questions for people while
>> > en.wp is down.

>> --
>> --Minh Huy (Minata Hatsune)
>> ---volunteer and Vietnamese translation coordinator of the Wikimedia
>> Foundation---

<at> gmail.com *

Re: [Wikimedia Announcements] English Wikipedia to go dark January 18 in opposition to SOPA/PIPA

Federico Leva (Nemo)
emijrp, 17/01/2012 22:11:
> The Italian bill was not removed, the vote was just delayed. So, if any, I
> see a poor effect here after compromising our goals.

What do you mean? There's no way to "remove" a proposed law, here. And
it will surely not be approved, like tons of other proposed laws sitting
in the archives of the Parliament of Italy.

Nemo

Re: [Wikimedia Announcements] English Wikipedia to go dark January 18 in opposition to SOPA/PIPA

Cristian Consonni
2012/1/17 Milos Rancic <[hidden email]>:
> Wikimedia Serbia also supports English Wikipedians [...]

Wikimedia Italia too, see http://www.wikimedia.it

Here's the text (in italian):
---
Milano, 17 gennaio 2012

Domani, 18 gennaio 2012, l'edizione in lingua inglese di Wikipedia
(http://en.wikipedia.org) verrà oscurata tra le 0:00 e le 24:00 (fuso
orario di New York, tra le 6:00 del 18 gennaio e le 6.00 del 19
gennaio in Italia) come forma di attenzione e protesta contro due
proposte di legge statunitensi, lo Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) e il
PROTECT IP Act (PIPA).
Tali proposte vengono presentate come iniziative per tutelare il
copyright, tuttavia il modo con cui verrebbe esercitata questa tutela
porterebbe gravi rischi per la libertà di parola su Internet, oltre a
permettere di bloccare l'accesso dagli USA a interi siti stranieri che
semplicemente contengano anche un solo collegamento a un sito
sospettato di infrangere un copyright protetto negli Stati Uniti.
Tutto ciò senza una verifica indipendente dell'eventuale loro
coinvolgimento nella presunta violazione.
Wikipedia e la Wikimedia Foundation sono in prima linea per quanto
riguarda la tutela del diritto d'autore, infatti sulle pagine di
Wikipedia e degli altri progetti della Wikimedia Foundation, una
qualunque presunta violazione di copyright viene sempre eliminata non
appena individuata. La protesta contro SOPA e PIPA è portata avanti
poiché rischiano di minacciare la libertà e l'esistenza non solo di
Wikipedia, ma dell'intero web.

Come ricorda Sue Gardner, direttore esecutivo della Wikimedia
Foundation, «Le voci di Wikipedia sono neutrali, ma la sua esistenza
no». La comunità che opera su Wikipedia in lingua inglese ha a lungo
dibattuto sulla proposta del fondatore di Wikipedia Jimmy Wales di
arrivare a una serrata sul modello di quella effettuata dalla
Wikipedia in lingua italiana lo scorso ottobre contro il comma 29 del
disegno di legge sulle intercettazioni. La proposta che ha alla fine
avuto il consenso della comunità è stata quella di unirsi a molti
altri siti statunitensi in un'unica giornata di black-out.

L'edizione in lingua italiana di Wikipedia non sarà oscurata, ma
apparirà un avviso in cima a ogni pagina visualizzata. SOPA e PIPA,
infatti, toccano indirettamente anche Wikipedia in lingua italiana,
poiché i server che la ospitano sono situati negli Stati Uniti e, se
anche la Wikimedia Foundation sopravvivesse agli enormi costi
dell'applicazione di una legislazione tanto irragionevole, si potrebbe
arrivare all'assurda ipotesi che un utente italiano, cercando su
Wikipedia in lingua italiana un'informazione in una voce che riporta
un collegamento a un altro sito italiano, potrebbe non trovarla perché
negli USA è stato deciso che quest'ultimo viola il copyright, il tutto
senza possibilità di difesa. L'intera libertà della rete, che è cosa
diversa dall'illegalità, rischia quindi di essere messa in discussione
da due provvedimenti statunitensi.
Associazione Wikimedia Italia

    Wikimedia Italia, corrispondente italiana ufficiale di Wikimedia
Foundation, Inc, è un'associazione senza fini di lucro che opera nel
settore della cultura e del sapere, per la diffusione della conoscenza
libera. Nota in Italia principalmente per la sua attività di
promozione dei progetti Wikimedia (tra cui il più noto è indubbiamente
Wikipedia), organizza e collabora a seminari, eventi ed attività volte
a far conoscere e diffondere i contenuti liberi.

Ulteriori informazioni

Comunicato ufficiale della Wikimedia Foundation

    http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Press_releases/English_Wikipedia_to_go_dark

Comunicato degli amministratori della Wikipedia in lingua inglese

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:SOPA_initiative/Action

Posizione di Sue Gardner

    http://blog.wikimedia.org/2012/01/16/wikipedias-community-calls-for-anti-sopa-blackout-january-18/

Wikipedia

    http://it.wikipedia.org

Wikimedia Italia

    http://www.wikimedia.it/index.php/10_cose_da_sapere

Contatti

Wikimedia Italia

    Presidente: Frieda Brioschi · [hidden email] · +39 328 0731320
    Addetto stampa: Maurizio Codogno · [hidden email] · +39 02 43835926
---

Cristian
WM-IT

Re: [Wikimedia Announcements] English Wikipedia to go dark January 18 in opposition to SOPA/PIPA

Bod Notbod
On Twitter:

Wikipedia

#WikipediaBlackout

and

Imagine A World Without Free Knowledge

...have all been trending for the late morning, early afternoon.