[Wikimedia Announcements] Executive transition planning

[Wikimedia Announcements] Executive transition planning

Patricio Lorente
Dear friends,

This week, the Board of Trustees accepted Lila’s resignation. Her last day will be  March 31, 2016.

I would like to thank Lila for her efforts over these past two years, and her passion for our shared mission. Together, we wish her the best in her future endeavors and accomplishments.

The Board of Trustees is meeting regularly to determine next steps. Our top priority is to develop a clear transition plan that seeks to build confidence with community and staff, appoint interim leadership, and begin the search for a new Executive Director. We will continue working closely together over the coming days, and will share an update next week.

This work will require extensive collaboration by the Board over the next few weeks. Although we know you’ll have questions, it is likely we’ll be very focused on planning the next steps. We appreciate your patience and understanding during this time.

Patricio

TRANSLATION NOTE: This message is also posted on Meta at the Board Noticeboard for for translation. You can find it here: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Board_noticeboard/25_February_2016_-_Executive_transition_planning

[Wikimedia-l] Fwd: [Wikimedia Announcements] Executive transition planning

Denny Vrandecic-6

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Executive transition planning

Brad Patrick
Best of luck to the Board moving forward with this process. You have a lot of work ahead.

Brad

> On Feb 25, 2016, at 1:50 PM, Patricio Lorente <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Dear friends,
>
> This week, the Board of Trustees accepted Lila’s resignation. Her last day will be  March 31, 2016.
>
> I would like to thank Lila for her efforts over these past two years, and her passion for our shared mission. Together, we wish her the best in her future endeavors and accomplishments.
>
> The Board of Trustees is meeting regularly to determine next steps. Our top priority is to develop a clear transition plan that seeks to build confidence with community and staff, appoint interim leadership, and begin the search for a new Executive Director. We will continue working closely together over the coming days, and will share an update next week.
>
> This work will require extensive collaboration by the Board over the next few weeks. Although we know you’ll have questions, it is likely we’ll be very focused on planning the next steps. We appreciate your patience and understanding during this time.
>
> Patricio
>
> TRANSLATION NOTE: This message is also posted on Meta at the Board Noticeboard for for translation. You can find it here: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Board_noticeboard/25_February_2016_-_Executive_transition_planning

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Executive transition planning

Brad Patrick
Best of luck to the Board moving forward with this process. You have a lot
of work ahead.

Brad

On Thursday, February 25, 2016, Patricio Lorente <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Dear friends,
>
> This week, the Board of Trustees accepted Lila’s resignation. Her last day
> will be  March 31, 2016.
>
> I would like to thank Lila for her efforts over these past two years, and
> her passion for our shared mission. Together, we wish her the best in her
> future endeavors and accomplishments.
>
> The Board of Trustees is meeting regularly to determine next steps. Our
> top priority is to develop a clear transition plan that seeks to build
> confidence with community and staff, appoint interim leadership, and begin
> the search for a new Executive Director. We will continue working closely
> together over the coming days, and will share an update next week.
>
> This work will require extensive collaboration by the Board over the next
> few weeks. Although we know you’ll have questions, it is likely we’ll be
> very focused on planning the next steps. We appreciate your patience and
> understanding during this time.
>
> Patricio
>
> TRANSLATION NOTE: This message is also posted on Meta at the Board
> Noticeboard for for translation. You can find it here:
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Board_noticeboard/25_February_2016_-_Executive_transition_planning

Bradford A. Patrick, Esq.
3001 North Rocky Point Drive East
Suite 200
Tampa, Florida 33607
[hidden email]
www.baplegal.com
813-384-8548 vox
813-333-7321 fax
BradPatrick Skype

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Executive transition planning

Florence Devouard-6
+ 1 Brad.

And I would like to say thank you Lila for your efforts and best of luck
for the future.

Flo

Le 25/02/16 20:01, Brad Patrick a écrit :

> Best of luck to the Board moving forward with this process. You have a lot of work ahead.
>
> Brad
>

>> On Feb 25, 2016, at 1:50 PM, Patricio Lorente <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Dear friends,
>>
>> This week, the Board of Trustees accepted Lila’s resignation. Her last day will be  March 31, 2016.
>>
>> I would like to thank Lila for her efforts over these past two years, and her passion for our shared mission. Together, we wish her the best in her future endeavors and accomplishments.
>>
>> The Board of Trustees is meeting regularly to determine next steps. Our top priority is to develop a clear transition plan that seeks to build confidence with community and staff, appoint interim leadership, and begin the search for a new Executive Director. We will continue working closely together over the coming days, and will share an update next week.
>>
>> This work will require extensive collaboration by the Board over the next few weeks. Although we know you’ll have questions, it is likely we’ll be very focused on planning the next steps. We appreciate your patience and understanding during this time.
>>
>> Patricio
>>
>> TRANSLATION NOTE: This message is also posted on Meta at the Board Noticeboard for for translation. You can find it here: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Board_noticeboard/25_February_2016_-_Executive_transition_planning

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Executive transition planning

Wojciech Pędzich-2
W dniu 2016-02-25 o 20:01, Brad Patrick pisze:
> Best of luck to the Board moving forward with this process. You have a lot of work ahead.
>
> Brad

I am keeping my fingers crossed for the Board, in the time to come their
decisions will certainly have impact on the wiki-world. Also, I am
keeping my fingers crossed for Lila, and her future endeavours.

Wojciech / [[User:Wpedzich]]

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Executive transition planning

metasj
On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 2:13 PM, Florence Devouard <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> + 1 Brad.
>
> And I would like to say thank you Lila for your efforts and best of luck
> for the future.

+1 Florence.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Executive transition planning

Brion Vibber-4
Patricio, thanks for the update and thanks for all of your thoughtful
consideration and work on this issue. I know it's been a stressful time for
everyone.

I've left a note on the talk page, just want to make sure we capture the
notion that existing staff leadership such as team leads and middle
managers who work with both upper management, staff & the larger user
community be involved in capturing what sort of expectations and values we
need to hire for.

Recruiting and interviewing and hiring leaders is hard at the best of
times; it's doubly hard in weird hybrid
open-source-non-profit-company-community situations like ours. Take
advantage of the resources available to you in your staff.

-- brion

On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 10:50 AM, Patricio Lorente <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear friends,
>
> This week, the Board of Trustees accepted Lila’s resignation. Her last day
> will be  March 31, 2016.
>
> I would like to thank Lila for her efforts over these past two years, and
> her passion for our shared mission. Together, we wish her the best in her
> future endeavors and accomplishments.
>
> The Board of Trustees is meeting regularly to determine next steps. Our
> top priority is to develop a clear transition plan that seeks to build
> confidence with community and staff, appoint interim leadership, and begin
> the search for a new Executive Director. We will continue working closely
> together over the coming days, and will share an update next week.
>
> This work will require extensive collaboration by the Board over the next
> few weeks. Although we know you’ll have questions, it is likely we’ll be
> very focused on planning the next steps. We appreciate your patience and
> understanding during this time.
>
> Patricio
>
> TRANSLATION NOTE: This message is also posted on Meta at the Board
> Noticeboard for for translation. You can find it here:
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Board_noticeboard/25_February_2016_-_Executive_transition_planning

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Executive transition planning

Sydney Poore
Patricio, thanks for the update.

I appreciate you and Lila informing the wikimedia movement now, before all
of the details of the transition plan are complete.

As the BoT works on a transition strategy and plans for hiring a new ED,
perhaps a member of the Board can take on the role of Chief Communicator.

Understandably, it is not always easy to know when to make announcements
and updates to the wikimedia movement especially when plans are incomplete.

At this moment in time, a good communication strategy that keeps everyone
regularly informed will help build a stronger bond between the WMF Board
and the rest of wikimedia movement.

My thoughts are with you and the rest of the Board as you work through this
situation.

Warm regards,
Sydney

Sydney Poore
User:FloNight
Wikipedian in Residence
at Cochrane Collaboration

On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 1:50 PM, Patricio Lorente <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear friends,
>
> This week, the Board of Trustees accepted Lila’s resignation. Her last day
> will be  March 31, 2016.
>
> I would like to thank Lila for her efforts over these past two years, and
> her passion for our shared mission. Together, we wish her the best in her
> future endeavors and accomplishments.
>
> The Board of Trustees is meeting regularly to determine next steps. Our
> top priority is to develop a clear transition plan that seeks to build
> confidence with community and staff, appoint interim leadership, and begin
> the search for a new Executive Director. We will continue working closely
> together over the coming days, and will share an update next week.
>
> This work will require extensive collaboration by the Board over the next
> few weeks. Although we know you’ll have questions, it is likely we’ll be
> very focused on planning the next steps. We appreciate your patience and
> understanding during this time.
>
> Patricio
>
> TRANSLATION NOTE: This message is also posted on Meta at the Board
> Noticeboard for for translation. You can find it here:
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Board_noticeboard/25_February_2016_-_Executive_transition_planning

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Executive transition planning

Gayle Karen Young-2
I know this isn't easy - not on the Board, not on the senior staff, not on
the staff, and not on Lila.
I'm so sorry and sad for all of us where this has come to, and there is an
enormous amount of goodwill and skill in supporting the board in moving
forward and doing the thorough planning it needs to do from this point
onward.

Wishing you well always,
Gayle

On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 12:14 PM, Sydney Poore <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Patricio, thanks for the update.
>
> I appreciate you and Lila informing the wikimedia movement now, before all
> of the details of the transition plan are complete.
>
> As the BoT works on a transition strategy and plans for hiring a new ED,
> perhaps a member of the Board can take on the role of Chief Communicator.
>
> Understandably, it is not always easy to know when to make announcements
> and updates to the wikimedia movement especially when plans are incomplete.
>
> At this moment in time, a good communication strategy that keeps everyone
> regularly informed will help build a stronger bond between the WMF Board
> and the rest of wikimedia movement.
>
> My thoughts are with you and the rest of the Board as you work through this
> situation.
>
> Warm regards,
> Sydney
>

> Sydney Poore
> User:FloNight
> Wikipedian in Residence
> at Cochrane Collaboration
>
> On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 1:50 PM, Patricio Lorente <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Dear friends,
> >
> > This week, the Board of Trustees accepted Lila’s resignation. Her last
> day
> > will be  March 31, 2016.
> >
> > I would like to thank Lila for her efforts over these past two years, and
> > her passion for our shared mission. Together, we wish her the best in her
> > future endeavors and accomplishments.
> >
> > The Board of Trustees is meeting regularly to determine next steps. Our
> > top priority is to develop a clear transition plan that seeks to build
> > confidence with community and staff, appoint interim leadership, and
> begin
> > the search for a new Executive Director. We will continue working closely
> > together over the coming days, and will share an update next week.
> >
> > This work will require extensive collaboration by the Board over the next
> > few weeks. Although we know you’ll have questions, it is likely we’ll be
> > very focused on planning the next steps. We appreciate your patience and
> > understanding during this time.
> >
> > Patricio
> >
> > TRANSLATION NOTE: This message is also posted on Meta at the Board
> > Noticeboard for for translation. You can find it here:
> >
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Board_noticeboard/25_February_2016_-_Executive_transition_planning

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Executive transition planning

Denny Vrandecic-6
I wanted to explicitly state that a number of us are reading intensively
many of the ideas suggested in a diversity of channels, including this
mailing list.

We are hearing you.

We cannot reply to all of them, as we simply lack the bandwidth. But we are
listening.

Thank you for your passion.

On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 12:19 PM, Gayle Karen Young <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> closely
> > > together over the coming days, and will share an update next week.
> > >
> > > This work will require extensive collaboration by the Board over the
> next
> > > few weeks. Although we know you’ll have questions, it is likely we’ll
> be
> > > very focused on planning the next steps. We appreciate your patience
> and
> > > understanding during this time.
> > >
> > > Patricio
> > >
> > > TRANSLATION NOTE: This message is also posted on Meta at the Board
> > > Noticeboard for for translation. You can find it here:
> > >

> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Board_noticeboard/25_February_2016_-_Executive_transition_planning

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Executive transition planning

Erik Moeller-3
> I know this isn't easy - not on the Board, not on the senior staff, not on
> the staff, and not on Lila.
> I'm so sorry and sad for all of us where this has come to, and there is an
> enormous amount of goodwill and skill in supporting the board in moving
> forward and doing the thorough planning it needs to do from this point
> onward.

Well said, Gayle, and best wishes in the journey ahead, both for WMF
and the movement, and for Lila. I'll go back to lurking for a bit, but
may chime in on some of the topics that have been raised in some of
the very constructive side conversations.

Warmly,

Erik

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Executive transition planning

Anthony Cole
There will be an AllHands staff discussion about recent events tomorrow,
per Katherine Maher on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/wikipediaweekly/permalink/963758547005310/?comment_id=963762980338200&reply_comment_id=963831903664641&comment_tracking=%7B%22tn%22%3A%22R3%22%7D

Anthony Cole

On Fri, Feb 26, 2016 at 5:25 AM, Erik Moeller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > I know this isn't easy - not on the Board, not on the senior staff, not
> on
> > the staff, and not on Lila.
> > I'm so sorry and sad for all of us where this has come to, and there is
> an
> > enormous amount of goodwill and skill in supporting the board in moving
> > forward and doing the thorough planning it needs to do from this point
> > onward.
>
> Well said, Gayle, and best wishes in the journey ahead, both for WMF
> and the movement, and for Lila. I'll go back to lurking for a bit, but
> may chime in on some of the topics that have been raised in some of
> the very constructive side conversations.
>
> Warmly,
>
> Erik

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Executive transition planning

Comet styles
I was banned on this mailing list last month for pointing out Lila's
incompetency as a leader..I just hope the next ED we have is fully
vetted before they are selected and I'm really hoping that we get
someone with a "wikipedia" background for a change.. Why don't we hire
someone who know the project inside and out instead of someone who is
thrust into the position without the know-how?...

The events of the last 2 months seemed like something from a Hitchcock
film..Good luck to Lila on her future venture but lets just hope the
incompetency levels we have at both the Board and Staff level stops
here...If the community has to go through this again this year, I'm
sure the next job on the line may very well be at the very TOP..

Cometstyles

On 2/26/16, Anthony Cole <[hidden email]> wrote:

> There will be an AllHands staff discussion about recent events tomorrow,
> per Katherine Maher on Facebook.
> https://www.facebook.com/groups/wikipediaweekly/permalink/963758547005310/?comment_id=963762980338200&reply_comment_id=963831903664641&comment_tracking=%7B%22tn%22%3A%22R3%22%7D
>

> Anthony Cole
>

> On Fri, Feb 26, 2016 at 5:25 AM, Erik Moeller <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> > I know this isn't easy - not on the Board, not on the senior staff, not
>> on
>> > the staff, and not on Lila.
>> > I'm so sorry and sad for all of us where this has come to, and there is
>> an
>> > enormous amount of goodwill and skill in supporting the board in moving
>> > forward and doing the thorough planning it needs to do from this point
>> > onward.
>>
>> Well said, Gayle, and best wishes in the journey ahead, both for WMF
>> and the movement, and for Lila. I'll go back to lurking for a bit, but
>> may chime in on some of the topics that have been raised in some of
>> the very constructive side conversations.
>>
>> Warmly,
>>
>> Erik

Cometstyles

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Executive transition planning

Denny Vrandecic-6
In order to avoid misunderstandings, would you please clarify what you mean
with "fully vetted"? This term can mean so many different things, and I
want to make sure.
On Feb 26, 2016 05:32, "Comet styles" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I was banned on this mailing list last month for pointing out Lila's
> incompetency as a leader..I just hope the next ED we have is fully
> vetted before they are selected and I'm really hoping that we get
> someone with a "wikipedia" background for a change.. Why don't we hire
> someone who know the project inside and out instead of someone who is
> thrust into the position without the know-how?...
>
> The events of the last 2 months seemed like something from a Hitchcock
> film..Good luck to Lila on her future venture but lets just hope the
> incompetency levels we have at both the Board and Staff level stops
> here...If the community has to go through this again this year, I'm
> sure the next job on the line may very well be at the very TOP..
>
> Cometstyles
>
> On 2/26/16, Anthony Cole <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > There will be an AllHands staff discussion about recent events tomorrow,
> > per Katherine Maher on Facebook.
> >
> https://www.facebook.com/groups/wikipediaweekly/permalink/963758547005310/?comment_id=963762980338200&reply_comment_id=963831903664641&comment_tracking=%7B%22tn%22%3A%22R3%22%7D
> >

> > Anthony Cole
> >

> > On Fri, Feb 26, 2016 at 5:25 AM, Erik Moeller <[hidden email]>

> not
> >> on
> is
> >> an
> moving
> >>
> >> Well said, Gayle, and best wishes in the journey ahead, both for WMF
> >> and the movement, and for Lila. I'll go back to lurking for a bit, but
> >> may chime in on some of the topics that have been raised in some of
> >> the very constructive side conversations.
> >>
> >> Warmly,
> >>
> >> Erik

> Cometstyles

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Executive transition planning

Alice Wiegand-4
Hi all,
short update, as announced by Patricio:

Our organization needs stability, it needs a chance to rest for a moment
and to move on with the things that matter at the same time. That’s why the
Board  is aiming for a quick decision about the interim ED.

If you want to make a difference you need to act differently.

We know that our C-level team is doing a great job in managing the
day-to-day-operations and they all have a deep understandning of our
culture, challenges and needs. Who, if not them, knows better what is best
for the organization in this moment. The Board is not best suited to make a
decision about the interim which can quickly be established and accepted in
this situation.

Therefor the board empowers the entire C-level-team to come up with a
solution for the interim question. We leave it up to them how that
decisions looks like. We trust them to think traditional or outside of the
box as it fits to our organization, the Wikimedia Foundation. The
C-level-team needs some time to deliberate and decide. They will present
their result to the board which has to vote on it. We plan to finalize
until the end of next week.

Alice.

--
Alice Wiegand
Board of Trustees

Alice Wiegand
Board of Trustees

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Executive transition planning

jmh649
Thank you Alice

I support that as a reasonable way forwards. Agree we have some great
C-levels.

James

On Fri, Mar 4, 2016 at 7:14 PM, Alice Wiegand <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi all,
> short update, as announced by Patricio:
>
> Our organization needs stability, it needs a chance to rest for a moment
> and to move on with the things that matter at the same time. That’s why the
> Board  is aiming for a quick decision about the interim ED.
>
> If you want to make a difference you need to act differently.
>
> We know that our C-level team is doing a great job in managing the
> day-to-day-operations and they all have a deep understandning of our
> culture, challenges and needs. Who, if not them, knows better what is best
> for the organization in this moment. The Board is not best suited to make a
> decision about the interim which can quickly be established and accepted in
> this situation.
>
> Therefor the board empowers the entire C-level-team to come up with a
> solution for the interim question. We leave it up to them how that
> decisions looks like. We trust them to think traditional or outside of the
> box as it fits to our organization, the Wikimedia Foundation. The
> C-level-team needs some time to deliberate and decide. They will present
> their result to the board which has to vote on it. We plan to finalize
> until the end of next week.
>
> Alice.
>
> --
> Alice Wiegand
> Board of Trustees
> Wikimedia Foundation
>

> --
> Alice Wiegand
> Board of Trustees
> Wikimedia Foundation
>
> Support Free Knowledge: https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Donate

James Heilman
MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian

The Wikipedia Open Textbook of Medicine
www.opentextbookofmedicine.com

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Executive transition planning

MZMcBride-2
Alice Wiegand wrote:

>We know that our C-level team is doing a great job in managing the
>day-to-day-operations and they all have a deep understandning of our
>culture, challenges and needs. Who, if not them, knows better what is best
>for the organization in this moment. The Board is not best suited to make
>a decision about the interim which can quickly be established and accepted
>in this situation.
>
>Therefor the board empowers the entire C-level-team to come up with a
>solution for the interim question. We leave it up to them how that
>decisions looks like. We trust them to think traditional or outside of the
>box as it fits to our organization, the Wikimedia Foundation. The
>C-level-team needs some time to deliberate and decide. They will present
>their result to the board which has to vote on it. We plan to finalize
>until the end of next week.

Current Wikimedia Foundation "C-levels" based on
<https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Staff_and_contractors>:

* Lila Tretikov, Executive Director
* Wes Moran, Vice President of Product
* [vacant], Chief Technology Officer
* Maggie Dennis, Senior Director of Community Engagement (Interim)
* Lisa Seitz-Gruwell, Chief Advancement Officer
* Geoff Brigham, General Counsel
* Katherine Maher, Chief Communications Officer
* Jaime Villagomez, Chief Financial Officer
* Joady Lohr, Vice President of Human Resources (Interim)

Does the "C-level team" in this context include Lila and/or the interims?

My vote is for Geoff Brigham. There's precedent for the General Counsel to
be interim Executive Director of the Wikimedia Foundation, of course. And
Geoff has been around long enough and is trusted to be a good steward of
the Wikimedia Foundation. I don't think an outsider would be a good idea.

I don't see it as a sign of strength to abdicate your responsibility in
this way. This action makes the Board of Trustees, already perceived as
being weak, look even weaker, out-of-touch, and unprepared. You've known
about general discontent with the Executive Director since November 2015
and you really weren't able, by March 2016, to figure out who would serve
as interim Executive Director? This is almost derelict behavior.

I don't think anyone demands perfection from members of the Board of
Trustees, but it is an actual commitment to an organization that has a
very large budget and a large number of staff operating a fairly important
set of Web properties. The fact that nine adults really didn't think
through the consequences of "what comes next after the current Executive
Director?" in order to come prepared with an answer to the most obvious
question ("who will be the interim?") is pretty embarrassing and sad.

MZMcBride

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Executive transition planning

Brion Vibber-4
There's less weakness in admitting a failure honestly, retreating and
regrouping, than in powering through when knowing oneself unprepared.

-- brion
On Mar 4, 2016 7:07 PM, "MZMcBride" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Alice Wiegand wrote:
> >We know that our C-level team is doing a great job in managing the
> >day-to-day-operations and they all have a deep understandning of our
> >culture, challenges and needs. Who, if not them, knows better what is best
> >for the organization in this moment. The Board is not best suited to make
> >a decision about the interim which can quickly be established and accepted
> >in this situation.
> >
> >Therefor the board empowers the entire C-level-team to come up with a
> >solution for the interim question. We leave it up to them how that
> >decisions looks like. We trust them to think traditional or outside of the
> >box as it fits to our organization, the Wikimedia Foundation. The
> >C-level-team needs some time to deliberate and decide. They will present
> >their result to the board which has to vote on it. We plan to finalize
> >until the end of next week.
>
> Current Wikimedia Foundation "C-levels" based on
> <https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Staff_and_contractors>:
>
> * Lila Tretikov, Executive Director
> * Wes Moran, Vice President of Product
> * [vacant], Chief Technology Officer
> * Maggie Dennis, Senior Director of Community Engagement (Interim)
> * Lisa Seitz-Gruwell, Chief Advancement Officer
> * Geoff Brigham, General Counsel
> * Katherine Maher, Chief Communications Officer
> * Jaime Villagomez, Chief Financial Officer
> * Joady Lohr, Vice President of Human Resources (Interim)
>
> Does the "C-level team" in this context include Lila and/or the interims?
>
> My vote is for Geoff Brigham. There's precedent for the General Counsel to
> be interim Executive Director of the Wikimedia Foundation, of course. And
> Geoff has been around long enough and is trusted to be a good steward of
> the Wikimedia Foundation. I don't think an outsider would be a good idea.
>
> I don't see it as a sign of strength to abdicate your responsibility in
> this way. This action makes the Board of Trustees, already perceived as
> being weak, look even weaker, out-of-touch, and unprepared. You've known
> about general discontent with the Executive Director since November 2015
> and you really weren't able, by March 2016, to figure out who would serve
> as interim Executive Director? This is almost derelict behavior.
>
> I don't think anyone demands perfection from members of the Board of
> Trustees, but it is an actual commitment to an organization that has a
> very large budget and a large number of staff operating a fairly important
> set of Web properties. The fact that nine adults really didn't think
> through the consequences of "what comes next after the current Executive
> Director?" in order to come prepared with an answer to the most obvious
> question ("who will be the interim?") is pretty embarrassing and sad.
>
> MZMcBride

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Executive transition planning

Craig Franklin
As much as I agree Geoff would probably do a wonderful job, I'm not sure
that as a movement we want him away from the excellent job he's doing in
the Legal team for too long.  Call me cynical, but I expect that the term
of the interim ED will turn out to be lengthy.  Any number of people would
make a good interim ED, but there are less people that would make a good
head of Legal.

Cheers,
Craig