[Wikimedia Announcements] For Wikipedia's 15th Birthday, what does Wikipedia mean to the world?

[Wikimedia Announcements] For Wikipedia's 15th Birthday, what does Wikipedia mean to the world?

Zachary McCune
Hello everyone!

15 January is Wikipedia's 15th birthday. That's right, it's Wikipedia Day! This is the day we celebrate the beginning of the Wikimedia movement and all of the free knowledge projects we share with the world.

To celebrate, we are asking Wikipedia visitors (both anonymous readers and logged-in users)  to tell us what Wikipedia means to them. It's all about celebrating the impact of our movement.

For the next 6 days, we will use some Central Notice banners to notify users of our birthday milestone and ask for their thoughts. The banners will be visible on Meta, Commons, and all language Wikipedias. The messages have been translated by the community into more than 98 languages (and counting). The banners will link to the Wikipedia15 microsite [1], where visitors can read the stories of 15 Wikimedians, review milestones from 15 years of Wikipedia, and contribute thoughts on what Wikipedia means to them.

Per MediaWiki, the timing will follow UTC. And of course, if you dismiss the notice, it will permanently opt you opt of seeing Wikipedia15 banners for the rest of the week.

Questions? Send them my way.

Want to get involved? Why not go to a Wikimedia party or event[2], edit something new, share a Wikipedia15 illustration[3], or share a Wikipedia birthday wish with #Wikipedia15 on your preferred social media!

All the best,

- Zack

[2] There are 149 events planned! Find one near you: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_15/Events

--
Zachary McCune
Global Audiences

Re: [Wikimedia Announcements] For Wikipedia's 15th Birthday, what does Wikipedia mean to the world?

Claudia Garád
Thanks for the resources Zack!

Our project partner the simpleshow foundation made a freely licensed
educational video about Wikipedia as a birthday present - feel free to
use and share everyone:

Commons:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:How_Wikipedia_contributes_to_free_knowledge.webm#

youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cndZ9jISks

Regards from Vienna!
Claudia

--
Claudia Garád
Geschäftsführerin

Wikimedia Österreich - Verein zur Förderung Freien Wissens
www.wikimedia.at

Am 15.01.2016 01:41, schrieb Zachary McCune:

> Hello everyone!
>

> 15 January is Wikipedia's 15th birthday. That's right, it's Wikipedia
> Day!
> This is the day we celebrate the beginning of the Wikimedia movement
> and
> all of the free knowledge projects we share with the world.
>
> To celebrate, we are asking Wikipedia visitors (both anonymous readers
> and
> logged-in users)  to tell us what Wikipedia means to them. It's all
> about
> celebrating the impact of our movement.
>
> For the next 6 days, we will use some Central Notice banners to notify
> users of our birthday milestone and ask for their thoughts. The banners
> will be visible on Meta, Commons, and all language Wikipedias. The
> messages
> have been translated by the community into more than 98 languages (and
> counting). The banners will link to the Wikipedia15 microsite [1],
> where
> visitors can read the stories of 15 Wikimedians, review milestones from
> 15
> years of Wikipedia, and contribute thoughts on what Wikipedia means to
> them.
>
> Per MediaWiki, the timing will follow UTC. And of course, if you
> the notice, it will permanently opt you opt of seeing Wikipedia15
> banners
> for the rest of the week.
>
> Questions? Send them my way.
>
> Want to get involved? Why not go to a Wikimedia party or event[2], edit
> something new, share a Wikipedia15 illustration[3], or share a
> Wikipedia
> birthday wish with #Wikipedia15 on your preferred social media!
>

> All the best,
>
> - Zack
>

> [1] https://15.wikipedia.org
> [2] There are 149 events planned! Find one near you:
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_15/Events
> [3] https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Wikipedia15_Mark

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] For Wikipedia's 15th Birthday, what does Wikipedia mean to the world?

Lodewijk
Oh, this video is amazing! It could make a great introduction as background
information for an educational talk, and so much more :)

Lodewijk

On Fri, Jan 15, 2016 at 10:51 AM, Claudia Garad <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Thanks for the resources Zack!
>
> Our project partner the simpleshow foundation made a freely licensed
> educational video about Wikipedia as a birthday present - feel free to use
> and share everyone:
>
> Commons:
>
> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:How_Wikipedia_contributes_to_free_knowledge.webm#
>
> youtube:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cndZ9jISks
>
> Regards from Vienna!
> Claudia
>
> --
> Claudia Garád
> Geschäftsführerin
>
> Wikimedia Österreich - Verein zur Förderung Freien Wissens
> www.wikimedia.at
>

> Am 15.01.2016 01:41, schrieb Zachary McCune:
>
>> Hello everyone!
>>

>> 15 January is Wikipedia's 15th birthday. That's right, it's Wikipedia Day!
>> This is the day we celebrate the beginning of the Wikimedia movement and
>> all of the free knowledge projects we share with the world.
>>
>> To celebrate, we are asking Wikipedia visitors (both anonymous readers and
>> logged-in users)  to tell us what Wikipedia means to them. It's all about
>> celebrating the impact of our movement.
>>
>> For the next 6 days, we will use some Central Notice banners to notify
>> users of our birthday milestone and ask for their thoughts. The banners
>> will be visible on Meta, Commons, and all language Wikipedias. The
>> messages
>> have been translated by the community into more than 98 languages (and
>> counting). The banners will link to the Wikipedia15 microsite [1], where
>> visitors can read the stories of 15 Wikimedians, review milestones from 15
>> years of Wikipedia, and contribute thoughts on what Wikipedia means to
>> them.
>>
>> Per MediaWiki, the timing will follow UTC. And of course, if you dismiss
>> the notice, it will permanently opt you opt of seeing Wikipedia15 banners
>> for the rest of the week.
>>
>> Questions? Send them my way.
>>
>> Want to get involved? Why not go to a Wikimedia party or event[2], edit
>> something new, share a Wikipedia15 illustration[3], or share a Wikipedia
>> birthday wish with #Wikipedia15 on your preferred social media!
>>

>> All the best,
>>
>> - Zack
>>

>> [1] https://15.wikipedia.org
>> [2] There are 149 events planned! Find one near you:
>> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_15/Events
>> [3] https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Wikipedia15_Mark

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] For Wikipedia's 15th Birthday, what does Wikipedia mean to the world?

Bodhisattwa Mandal
Hi,

The video was awesome. :-)

Regards,