[Wikimedia Announcements] June 2017 agenda of the Board of Trustees

[Wikimedia Announcements] June 2017 agenda of the Board of Trustees

Stephen LaPorte
Hi all,

The agenda for the next Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees meeting on June 16, 2017 is now available on Meta Wiki: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_board_agenda_2017-06

Best,
Stephen

--
Stephen LaPorte
Senior Legal Counsel

NOTICE: As an attorney for the Wikimedia Foundation, for legal and ethical reasons, I cannot give legal advice to, or serve as a lawyer for, community members, volunteers, or staff members in their personal capacity. For more on what this means, please see our legal disclaimer.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] June 2017 agenda of the Board of Trustees

Pine W
Hi Stephen,

Can board agendas, as well as slides and docs which are not security or
privacy sensitive, be published 2 weeks in advance of meetings, please?
This will allow community members to provide comments and ask questions
ahead of board meetings that the board can take into consideration when the
meeting occurs.

Thanks,
Pine

Pine

On Wed, Jun 14, 2017 at 10:24 AM, Stephen LaPorte <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> The agenda for the next Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees meeting on
> June 16, 2017 is now available on Meta Wiki: https://meta.wikimedia.
> org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_board_agenda_2017-06
>
> Best,
> Stephen
>
> --
> Stephen LaPorte
> Senior Legal Counsel
> Wikimedia Foundation
>
> *NOTICE: As an attorney for the Wikimedia Foundation, for legal and
> ethical reasons, I cannot give legal advice to, or serve as a lawyer for,
> community members, volunteers, or staff members in their personal capacity.
> For more on what this means, please see our legal disclaimer
> <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Legal_Disclaimer>.*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] June 2017 agenda of the Board of Trustees

Rogol Domedonfors
Pine,

I think the first step in this direction is for the Board to decide whether
or not they wish to engage with the Community in this way – whether they
have the time, energy and bandwidth to handle such communications, and
whether they see the reward as commensurate with the investment.  So far it
seems that their view has been negative on both counts, but that has never
been an explicit decision, and perhaps times have changed.  I don't think
we can ask Stephen as an employee to make such changes to Board practice
without their consent.  It is probably better for all concerned, however
disappointing it may be, for the Board to be explicit and frank about their
appetite for this engagement rather than raising expectations in the
Community that they are unwilling or unable to meet.

However, a statement from the Board members would be valuable here.

"Rogol"

On Fri, Jun 16, 2017 at 8:05 PM, Pine W <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Stephen,
>
> Can board agendas, as well as slides and docs which are not security or
> privacy sensitive, be published 2 weeks in advance of meetings, please?
> This will allow community members to provide comments and ask questions
> ahead of board meetings that the board can take into consideration when the
> meeting occurs.
>
> Thanks,
> Pine
>
> Pine
>

> On Wed, Jun 14, 2017 at 10:24 AM, Stephen LaPorte <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > The agenda for the next Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees meeting on
> > June 16, 2017 is now available on Meta Wiki: https://meta.wikimedia.
> > org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_board_agenda_2017-06
> >
> > Best,
> > Stephen
> >
> > --
> > Stephen LaPorte
> > Senior Legal Counsel
> > Wikimedia Foundation
> >
> > *NOTICE: As an attorney for the Wikimedia Foundation, for legal and
> > ethical reasons, I cannot give legal advice to, or serve as a lawyer for,
> > community members, volunteers, or staff members in their personal
> capacity.
> > For more on what this means, please see our legal disclaimer
> > <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Legal_Disclaimer>.*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] June 2017 agenda of the Board of Trustees

Lodewijk
First of all: kudos to Stephen for getting the agenda more or less
consistently out before the meeting - that's already an improvement
compared to the past.

Of course any advance time would be helpful - but only if the board would
actually appreciate input. I believe the meeting schedule is regular enough
that community members could already suggest topics (not sure if the chair
or secretary would be the best point of entry for that), so there would
only be an added benefit if also supporting documents would be shared in
advance. I can imagine however that this would come at a very significant
cost - it would affect probably a whole lot of deadlines and make it harder
to make last minute updates.

Lodewijk

On Fri, Jun 16, 2017 at 9:05 PM, Pine W <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Stephen,
>
> Can board agendas, as well as slides and docs which are not security or
> privacy sensitive, be published 2 weeks in advance of meetings, please?
> This will allow community members to provide comments and ask questions
> ahead of board meetings that the board can take into consideration when the
> meeting occurs.
>
> Thanks,
> Pine
>
> Pine
>

> On Wed, Jun 14, 2017 at 10:24 AM, Stephen LaPorte <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > The agenda for the next Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees meeting on
> > June 16, 2017 is now available on Meta Wiki: https://meta.wikimedia.
> > org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_board_agenda_2017-06
> >
> > Best,
> > Stephen
> >
> > --
> > Stephen LaPorte
> > Senior Legal Counsel
> > Wikimedia Foundation
> >
> > *NOTICE: As an attorney for the Wikimedia Foundation, for legal and
> > ethical reasons, I cannot give legal advice to, or serve as a lawyer for,
> > community members, volunteers, or staff members in their personal
> capacity.
> > For more on what this means, please see our legal disclaimer
> > <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Legal_Disclaimer>.*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] June 2017 agenda of the Board of Trustees

Pine W
I think that given how far in advance WMF Board meetings are planned, it
should be possible to know the agenda and have the materials available for
publication 2 weeks in advance.

If some last minute item comes up, it can easily be amended to the agenda.
Similarly, if for some reason an agenda item is dropped or tabled for a
future meeting, that can be done as well.

It is not my goal to box the Board into an unreasonably tight set of
constraints. I think it should be possible to achieve the benefits of
advance notification while maintaining a little flexibility to accommodate
changes. Naturally, those changes should be publicized when they become
known.

Pine

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] June 2017 agenda of the Board of Trustees

metasj
This is great; thank you, Stephen.  It is good to see additional transfers
to the endowment on the agenda.

Regards, SJ

On Wed, Jun 14, 2017 at 1:24 PM, Stephen LaPorte <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> The agenda for the next Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees meeting on
> June 16, 2017 is now available on Meta Wiki: https://meta.wikimedia.o
> rg/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_board_agenda_2017-06
>
> Best,
> Stephen
>
> --
> Stephen LaPorte
> Senior Legal Counsel
> Wikimedia Foundation
>
> *NOTICE: As an attorney for the Wikimedia Foundation, for legal and
> ethical reasons, I cannot give legal advice to, or serve as a lawyer for,
> community members, volunteers, or staff members in their personal capacity.
> For more on what this means, please see our legal disclaimer
> <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Legal_Disclaimer>.*

<(617)%20529-4266>

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] June 2017 agenda of the Board of Trustees

Rogol Domedonfors
I would agree that it is a good idea for the Board to be discussing
transfers to the Endowment but perhaps not for the same reasons as SJ.  The
money raised by the Foundation has been given by donors, usually in small
amounts, to the Foundation where it is administered by the Board as
Trustees with at least some connection with the Community, some members of
whom have set out in public for the Community their positions on certain
questions of interest and indeed importance to the Community.  Transferring
that money to an endowment controlled by a committee of advisors with no
connection with the community, and who have so far made no public
presentation of how they intend to invest or spend the money, seems a
retrograde step, and one that the Board would do well to scrutinise
carefully.

"Rogol"