[Wikimedia Announcements] [PRESS RELEASE] Wikimedia Foundation and Kiwix partner to grow offline access to Wikipedia

[Wikimedia Announcements] [PRESS RELEASE] Wikimedia Foundation and Kiwix partner to grow offline access to Wikipedia

Samantha Lien
This press release is also available on the Wikimedia blog here: https://blog.wikimedia.org/2018/07/18/wikimedia-foundation-and-kiwix-partner-to-grow-offline-access-to-wikipedia/

Wikimedia Foundation and Kiwix partner to grow offline access to Wikipedia

The Wikimedia Foundation and Switzerland-based Kiwix announce a global collaboration to increase offline access to Wikipedia and the Wikimedia projects.

Lausanne, Switzerland, and San Francisco, USA, 18 July 2018 – The Wikimedia Foundation has announced a partnership with Kiwix, the free and open-source software solution that enables offline access to educational content, to expand and improve access to Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects globally. This partnership will include a $275,000 contribution to Kiwix to further enhance offline access to Wikipedia in parts of the world where consistent, affordable internet connectivity presents a significant barrier to accessing Wikipedia.

“Our hope is that one day everyone will have access to the internet, and eliminate the need for other offline methods of access to information.” said Kiwix CEO Stephane Coillet-Matillon. “But we know that there are still serious gaps in internet access globally that require solutions today. Kiwix is a tool to start fixing things right now.”
The Wikimedia Foundation and Kiwix have had a long-standing collaborative relationship to expand access to Wikipedia around the world. This includes recent support to Kiwix and WikiProject Medicine to improve the availability of offline Wikipedia medical content [1], as well as improvements to the Kiwix desktop experience.

Through this partnership, the two organizations will collaborate to create a long-term strategy for third party reuse of Kiwix’s free access platform, fix longstanding code debt, improve Kiwix’s usability across mobile platforms including Android, and integrate Kiwix’s and the Wikimedia Foundation’s technical operations more closely for improved Wikipedia offline experiences.

“As part of the 2030 direction for Wikimedia’s future [2], we’re thrilled to be partnering with Kiwix to invest in solutions to address one of the critical barriers to participating in Wikipedia globally: reliable internet access,” said Anne Gomez, Senior Program Manager at the Wikimedia Foundation. “We have made a commitment as an organization to actively address the challenges and barriers to reaching our global Wikimedia vision: a world in which everyone can freely share in knowledge. Today marks an important step toward realizing that commitment.”

The Wikimedia vision is global: a world in which everyone can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. While there has been a significant reduction in high mobile data costs and other barriers to participating in Wikipedia, more than half the world’s population is not yet online. [3]

Today, Kiwix sits at the heart of the offline ecosystem with more than 3 million users from more than 200 countries. It can store millions of Wikipedia articles from any of Wikipedia’s nearly 300 languages along with thousands of books and videos on a single flash drive or microSD card for access on smartphones and computers. Kiwix has also worked with nonprofits such as the Orange Foundation, Human Rights Foundation, Internet in a Box, WikiFundi, and Digisoft to scale distribution of offline education materials around the world to students, teachers, and the general public.

More information about the Wikimedia Foundation’s work to expand access and participation to Wikipedia globally, including information about this partnership with Kiwix, can be found in the Wikimedia Foundation’s 2018-2019 annual plan. [4]

About the Wikimedia Foundation

The Wikimedia Foundation is the nonprofit organization that supports and operates Wikipedia and its sister free knowledge projects. Wikipedia is the world’s free knowledge resource, spanning more than 45 million articles across nearly 300 languages. Every month, more than 200,000 people edit Wikipedia and the Wikimedia projects, collectively creating and improving knowledge that is accessed by more than 1 billion unique devices every month. This all makes Wikipedia one of the most popular web properties in the world. Based in San Francisco, California, the Wikimedia Foundation is a 501(c)(3) charity that is funded primarily through donations and grants.

About Kiwix

Kiwix is an open-source software that brings internet content to millions of people without internet access - be it because of cost, poor infrastructures or even censorship. Websites like Wikipedia, TED talks, the Gutenberg library and many more can be stored and browsed as if users were online. Kiwix is available in more than 100 languages, and runs on all major desktop and mobile platforms. Based in Lausanne, Switzerland, Kiwix Association is a registered Swiss Verein that is funded solely through donations and grants. For more information, see www.kiwix.org.

Press contacts

Wikimedia Foundation
Kui Kinyanjui
[hidden email]

Kiwix
Stéphane Coillet-Matillon
+41 79 215 8510 or [hidden email]

--
Samantha Lien
Communications Manager

(To be unsubscribed from this press release distribution list, please reply to [hidden email] with 'UNSUBSCRIBE' in the subject line)

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] [PRESS RELEASE] Wikimedia Foundation and Kiwix partner to grow offline access to Wikipedia

Lucas Teles-2
Those are excellent news!

I wonder if there are any plans on working on less rich countries. They
usually have less internet access and would benefit from that.

Wikipedia Zero has just expired in Angola and I can’t imagine a best way to
replace that source of knowledge withou having to deal with the negative
side of it.

Concerning the many users from Angola that reached out to me complaining
about the end of Wikipedia Zero in Angola, giving them access to Kiwix will
be of enormous help.

Teles

Em qui, 19 de jul de 2018 às 19:16, Samantha Lien <[hidden email]>
escreveu:

> [...]
>

> Kiwix
> Stéphane Coillet-Matillon
> +41 79 215 8510 or [hidden email]
>

> [1]
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:Project/Stephane/Kiwix/Offline_medical
>
> [2]
> https://blog.wikimedia.org/2017/11/03/wikimedia-movement-new-direction/
>
> [3] https://www.itu.int/en/ITU-D/Statistics/Pages/stat/default.aspx
>
> [4] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/New_Readers/Annual_Plan_1819
> --
> *Samantha Lien*
> Communications Manager
> Wikimedia Foundation
> 1Montgomery Street
> Suite 1600
> San Francisco, CA 94104
>

> (To be unsubscribed from this press release distribution list, please
> reply to [hidden email] with 'UNSUBSCRIBE' in the subject

Steward for Wikimedia projects. Administrator at Portuguese Wikipedia and
Wikimedia Commons.
Sent from mobile. Please, excuse my brevity.

+55 (71) 99707 6409

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] [PRESS RELEASE] Wikimedia Foundation and Kiwix partner to grow offline access to Wikipedia

jmh649
Agree amazing news. Offline is key for much of the world.

We are developing and distributing "Internet-in-a-Boxes" to help compensate
somewhat for the pull back from zero rating.

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Internet-in-a-Box

James

On Fri, Jul 20, 2018 at 4:27 AM Lucas Teles <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > [4] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/New_Readers/Annual_Plan_1819
> > --
> > *Samantha Lien*
> > Communications Manager
> > Wikimedia Foundation
> > 1Montgomery Street
> > Suite 1600
> > San Francisco, CA 94104
> >

> > (To be unsubscribed from this press release distribution list, please
> > reply to [hidden email] with 'UNSUBSCRIBE' in the subject
> > line)_______________________________________________
> > Please note: all replies sent to this mailing list will be immediately
> > directed to Wikimedia-l, the public mailing list of the Wikimedia
> > community. For more information about Wikimedia-l:

> Steward for Wikimedia projects. Administrator at Portuguese Wikipedia and
> Wikimedia Commons.
> Sent from mobile. Please, excuse my brevity.

James Heilman
MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] [PRESS RELEASE] Wikimedia Foundation and Kiwix partner to grow offline access to Wikipedia

Leinonen Teemu
Hi all,

Offline is important but when doing these things we should same time remember our vision statement’s part saying “*every single human being* can freely *share* in the sum of all knowledge”.

We should never consider the people in the “offline world” being only readers, users or consumers of the content, but people who naturally have a lot of knowledge to share for the rest of the world.

With the offline distribution, let’s keep working on to have more languages and active communities in the Wikimedia. Let’s have the edit-button when ever possible.

-Teemu

> [...]
>>> San Francisco, CA 94104
>>>

>>> (To be unsubscribed from this press release distribution list, please
>>> reply to [hidden email] with 'UNSUBSCRIBE' in the subject
>>> line)_______________________________________________
>>> Please note: all replies sent to this mailing list will be immediately
>>> directed to Wikimedia-l, the public mailing list of the Wikimedia
>>> community. For more information about Wikimedia-l:
>>>
>> --
>> Steward for Wikimedia projects. Administrator at Portuguese Wikipedia and
>> Wikimedia Commons.
>> Sent from mobile. Please, excuse my brevity.
>>
>> +55 (71) 99707 6409

> James Heilman
> MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] [PRESS RELEASE] Wikimedia Foundation and Kiwix partner to grow offline access to Wikipedia

Anne Gomez
Hi Teemu,

I agree that there is a lot we can, and should, do for people who are not
online... I'm really excited about this partnership with Kiwix because they
are the base of a lot of different initiatives in the offline space.

Are you aware of WikiFundi[1]? It is a project, built on Kiwix, that is
taking steps towards offline editing. Offline editing is a really complex
problem from a technical and user experience perspective. The WikiFundi
team has been working on the product for a couple of years now, with
support from WMF and the Orange Foundation.

In January, the Foundation funded a project grant[2] to support WikiFundi
developing their user experience and effectiveness.

Cheers,
Anne

[1] http://www.wikifundi.org/
[2] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:Project/WikiInAfrica/WikiFundi

On Fri, Jul 20, 2018 at 11:39 AM, Leinonen Teemu <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> >> Box,
> public.

> this

> and
> >> the
> improving
> in
> >> is
> >> grants.

> millions
> >> the
> >> were
> Kiwix

> >> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:Project/Stephane/
> Kiwix/Offline_medical

> new-direction/

> subject
> >>>
> >> --
> >> Steward for Wikimedia projects. Administrator at Portuguese Wikipedia
> and
> >> Wikimedia Commons.
> >> Sent from mobile. Please, excuse my brevity.

*Anne Gomez* // Senior Program Manager, New Readers
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/New_Readers>
Pronouns: she/her
https://wikimediafoundation.org/

sum of all knowledge. That's our commitment. Donate
<http://donate.wikimedia.org>. *

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] [PRESS RELEASE] Wikimedia Foundation and Kiwix partner to grow offline access to Wikipedia

Leinonen Teemu
Thanks Anne,

I have followed the Kiwix and now checked the WikiFundi’s status, too. Thanks for the links.

My point is that words matters and for instance, I find the concept “New Readers” problematic in the case of us reaching “Global South” (often offline).

-Teemu

Lähetetty iPhonesta

> [...]
>> improving
>> in

>> millions
>> Kiwix

>> Kiwix/Offline_medical

>> new-direction/

>> subject

>> and

>>> --
>>> James Heilman
>>> MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian

> *Anne Gomez* // Senior Program Manager, New Readers
> <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/New_Readers>
> Pronouns: she/her
> https://wikimediafoundation.org/
>

> *Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in the
> sum of all knowledge. That's our commitment. Donate
> <http://donate.wikimedia.org>. *

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] [PRESS RELEASE] Wikimedia Foundation and Kiwix partner to grow offline access to Wikipedia

Thanks for the clarification, Teemu. That's helpful. And I hear you - we
need to continue to work with communities worldwide to include their
knowledge in the "sum of all human knowledge." It's definitely not enough
to have them reading knowledge written by others.

Personally, I see the New Readers efforts as a step in that direction, and
not the end goal. We're working on bringing more people to understanding
Wikipedia/Wikimedia with the hope that they'll contribute down the line...
but, in my opinion, we can't expect people to contribute if they don't
visit our sites or understand the values and structures we have built to
support building knowledge.

I'm not as familiar with the ins and outs of the rest of the Foundation's
work as with mine (leading the new readers program), but there are other
projects happening that are designed to invite contributions from people
who primarily access the internet on mobile phones, in non-European
languages, etc..

It's a bit hard to tease out of the annual plan [0], but here are some
examples:

* In Audiences (Product), work for mobile contributions [1] and local
language content [2]
* In Partnerships, support for missing content in specific
geographies/languages [3]
* In Community Engagement, support communities in capacity development [4]

I hope this helps, and thanks again for the comments.

Anne

[0]
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Annual_Plan/2018-2019/Final#Grow_new_contributors_and_content
[1]
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Annual_Plan/2018-2019/Audiences#Outcome_3:_Mobile_Contribution
[2]
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Annual_Plan/2018-2019/Audiences#Outcome_4:_Local_Language_Content
[3]
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Advancement/Annual_Plan_2018-2019#Program_Name:_Growing_Local_Language_Content_on_Wikipedia_(GLOW)_(Note:_Formerly_Project_Tiger)
[4]
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Community_Resources/Annual_Plan#Deliver_capacity_building_through_targeted_training_and_support

On Sat, Jul 21, 2018 at 12:05 AM, Leinonen Teemu <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> >> subject
> immediately

> >> and

> > *Anne Gomez* // Senior Program Manager, New Readers
> > <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/New_Readers>
> > Pronouns: she/her
> > https://wikimediafoundation.org/
> >

> > *Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in
> the
> > sum of all knowledge. That's our commitment. Donate
> > <http://donate.wikimedia.org>. *

*Anne Gomez* // Senior Program Manager, New Readers
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/New_Readers>
Pronouns: she/her
https://wikimediafoundation.org/

sum of all knowledge. That's our commitment. Donate
<http://donate.wikimedia.org>. *

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] [PRESS RELEASE] Wikimedia Foundation and Kiwix partner to grow offline access to Wikipedia

Paulo Santos Perneta
I also have requests from schools and other educational institutions from
Guinea-Bissau (Bissau and Bolama, specifically)
 to use Kiwix there to provide offline access to Wikipedia, as network
communications there are still very faulty, while many people already have
cell phones.

It would be really wonderful if we could implement it there.

Paulo

> [...]
> > Wikimedia Foundation
> > 1Montgomery Street
> > Suite 1600
> > San Francisco, CA 94104
> >

> > (To be unsubscribed from this press release distribution list, please
> > reply to [hidden email] with 'UNSUBSCRIBE' in the subject
> > line)_______________________________________________
> > Please note: all replies sent to this mailing list will be immediately
> > directed to Wikimedia-l, the public mailing list of the Wikimedia
> > community. For more information about Wikimedia-l:

> Steward for Wikimedia projects. Administrator at Portuguese Wikipedia and
> Wikimedia Commons.
> Sent from mobile. Please, excuse my brevity.
>
> +55 (71) 99707 6409

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] [PRESS RELEASE] Wikimedia Foundation and Kiwix partner to grow offline access to Wikipedia

We are hoping to have a 128 Gb "Internet-in-a-Box"s with all of EN WP (plus
a bunch of other stuff including PT WP) in production soon at a cost of
about 40 to 60 USD.

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Internet-in-a-Box

James

On Mon, Jul 23, 2018 at 7:24 PM Paulo Santos Perneta <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > >
> > > [4] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/New_Readers/Annual_Plan_1819
> > > --
> > > *Samantha Lien*
> > > Communications Manager
> > > Wikimedia Foundation
> > > 1Montgomery Street
> > > Suite 1600
> > > San Francisco, CA 94104
> > >

> > > (To be unsubscribed from this press release distribution list, please
> > > reply to [hidden email] with 'UNSUBSCRIBE' in the
> subject
> > > line)_______________________________________________
> > > Please note: all replies sent to this mailing list will be immediately
> > > directed to Wikimedia-l, the public mailing list of the Wikimedia
> > > community. For more information about Wikimedia-l:

> > Steward for Wikimedia projects. Administrator at Portuguese Wikipedia and
> > Wikimedia Commons.
> > Sent from mobile. Please, excuse my brevity.

James Heilman
MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] [PRESS RELEASE] Wikimedia Foundation and Kiwix partner to grow offline access to Wikipedia

Leinonen Teemu
Hi Anne,

On 23 Jul 2018, at 19.24, Anne Gomez <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
Personally, I see the New Readers efforts as a step in that direction, and
not the end goal. We're working on bringing more people to understanding
Wikipedia/Wikimedia with the hope that they'll contribute down the line...
but, in my opinion, we can't expect people to contribute if they don't
visit our sites or understand the values and structures we have built to
support building knowledge.

Fair enough. I am just afraid that people who are from the beginning invited to be a “reader”, called “readers”, not having “edit” -button, not getting the full Wikipedia -experience, will not get the “values and structure”, either. For them Wikipedia will be a free encyclopedia, not the free encyclopedia that anyone can edit.

I think the message for the people using the offline Wikipedia should be something like that we are really, really sorry that at this point of time we can only provide you access to read the content, but we are working hard to make it possible that your knowledge, in your own languages will be part of the "sum of all knowledge”. :-)

Best regards,

- Teemu

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] [PRESS RELEASE] Wikimedia Foundation and Kiwix partner to grow offline access to Wikipedia

jmh649
The intro page of the offline medical wiki says that the content is written
by volunteers and invites the reader to join us and make the next version
better.

On Wed, Jul 25, 2018, 14:03 Leinonen Teemu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Anne,
>
> On 23 Jul 2018, at 19.24, Anne Gomez <[hidden email]<mailto:
> [hidden email]>> wrote:
> Personally, I see the New Readers efforts as a step in that direction, and
> not the end goal. We're working on bringing more people to understanding
> Wikipedia/Wikimedia with the hope that they'll contribute down the line...
> but, in my opinion, we can't expect people to contribute if they don't
> visit our sites or understand the values and structures we have built to
> support building knowledge.
>
> Fair enough. I am just afraid that people who are from the beginning
> invited to be a “reader”, called “readers”, not having “edit” -button, not
> getting the full Wikipedia -experience, will not get the “values and
> structure”, either. For them Wikipedia will be a free encyclopedia, not the
> free encyclopedia that anyone can edit.
>
> I think the message for the people using the offline Wikipedia should be
> something like that we are really, really sorry that at this point of time
> we can only provide you access to read the content, but we are working hard
> to make it possible that your knowledge, in your own languages will be part
> of the "sum of all knowledge”. :-)
>
> Best regards,
>
> - Teemu

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] [PRESS RELEASE] Wikimedia Foundation and Kiwix partner to grow offline access to Wikipedia

metasj
It would be nice to have a little 6-pg workbook describing the idea of
wiki, and explaining how to create + edit your own wiki pages. Texting a
phone # (for tiny facts + images), offline/on a phone, on a local server,
or posting asynchronously to wikimedia; and details of what is expected of
edits + uploads directly to WP.

//S.

On Wed, Jul 25, 2018, 9:35 AM James Heilman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The intro page of the offline medical wiki says that the content is written
> by volunteers and invites the reader to join us and make the next version
> better.
>
> On Wed, Jul 25, 2018, 14:03 Leinonen Teemu <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi Anne,
> >
> > On 23 Jul 2018, at 19.24, Anne Gomez <[hidden email]<mailto:
> > [hidden email]>> wrote:
> > Personally, I see the New Readers efforts as a step in that direction,
> and
> > not the end goal. We're working on bringing more people to understanding
> > Wikipedia/Wikimedia with the hope that they'll contribute down the
> line...
> > but, in my opinion, we can't expect people to contribute if they don't
> > visit our sites or understand the values and structures we have built to
> > support building knowledge.
> >
> > Fair enough. I am just afraid that people who are from the beginning
> > invited to be a “reader”, called “readers”, not having “edit” -button,
> not
> > getting the full Wikipedia -experience, will not get the “values and
> > structure”, either. For them Wikipedia will be a free encyclopedia, not
> the
> > free encyclopedia that anyone can edit.
> >
> > I think the message for the people using the offline Wikipedia should be
> > something like that we are really, really sorry that at this point of
> time
> > we can only provide you access to read the content, but we are working
> hard
> > to make it possible that your knowledge, in your own languages will be
> part
> > of the "sum of all knowledge”. :-)
> >
> > Best regards,
> >
> > - Teemu

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] [PRESS RELEASE] Wikimedia Foundation and Kiwix partner to grow offline access to Wikipedia

Anne Gomez
Teemu,

I agree with you completely. People who are reading Wikipedia should know
that Wikipedia is written by volunteers and that they can edit. Calling
someone a "reader" doesn't, to me, mean that editing is hidden from them..
it means that we're making sure we're meeting their needs as readers in
this moment. But they should still have the option and understanding of
editing!

Offline is harder because, for now, in most cases there isn't editing.
James mentioned what they have in offline medical. I'm not sure what the
treatments are in all the other contexts, but it's something I'll keep an
eye on for future projects.

Cheers,
Anne