[Wikimedia Announcements] Results of the 2017 Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees election

[Wikimedia Announcements] Results of the 2017 Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees election

matanya-2
Greetings,

The certified results of the 2017 Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees
election are now available on Meta-Wiki: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_elections/2017/Results

Congratulations to María Sefidari (User:Raystorm), Dariusz Jemielniak (User:pundit), and James Heilman (User:Doc James) for receiving the most community support. Subject to a standard background check, they will be appointed by the Board at their August meeting at Wikimania.

These results have been certified by the elections committee, the Wikimedia Foundation staff advisors to the committee, and the Board of Trustees.

There were 5,581 votes cast, with 5,120 of those being valid. The 461-vote difference comes from recast ballots, where eligible voters recast ballots to change their votes, and struck votes, of which there were 34. (Some of the recast votes were also struck.)

Additional information is available on the Wikimedia Blog: https://blog.wikimedia.org/2017/05/20/board-of-trustees-elections-2017/

More statistics on the elections and a post-mortem from the committee will be published in the coming days. In the meantime, we would appreciate your input—what went well for you in this election?  What could we do better next time?  These reports are crucial to helping future elections be even more successful, and we hope that you will offer your feedback and ideas: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_elections/2017/Post_mortem

The committee would like to thank everyone that participated in this year’s election for helping make it, again, one of the most diverse and representative in the movement’s history.

Sincerely,
– Wikimedia Foundation Elections Committee

[Wikimedia-l] Fwd: [Wikimedia Announcements] Results of the 2017 Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees election

James Alexander-4
Forwarding to WM-l since the auto forward doesn't always work.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Fwd: [Wikimedia Announcements] Results of the 2017 Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees election

Shani Evenstein
Congrats to all elected members!

Best,
Shani.

On Sun, May 21, 2017 at 3:36 AM, James Alexander <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Forwarding to WM-l since the auto forward doesn't always work.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Results of the 2017 Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees election

Steinsplitter Wiki
Congrats.

________________________________

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Results of the 2017 Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees election

Pierre-Selim
Congratulations Maria, James and Dariusz.

Le 21 mai 2017 09:31, "Steinsplitter Wiki" <[hidden email]> a
écrit :

> Congrats.
>

> ________________________________

Natacha Rault
Congratulation and good luck!
Natacha Rault

> Le 21 mai 2017 à 09:35, Pierre-Selim <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> Congratulations Maria, James and Dariusz.
>
> Le 21 mai 2017 09:31, "Steinsplitter Wiki" <[hidden email]> a
> écrit :
>
>> Congrats.
>>

>> ________________________________

Shlomi Fish
On Sun, 21 May 2017 00:32:40 +0000
matanya moses <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> The certified results of the 2017 Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees
> election are now available on Meta-Wiki:
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_elections/2017/Results
>
> Congratulations to María Sefidari (User:Raystorm), Dariusz Jemielniak
> (User:pundit), and James Heilman (User:Doc James) for receiving the most
> community support. Subject to a standard background check, they will be
> appointed by the Board at their August meeting at Wikimania.
>
> These results have been certified by the elections committee, the Wikimedia
> Foundation staff advisors to the committee, and the Board of Trustees.
>
> There were 5,581 votes cast, with 5,120 of those being valid. The 461-vote
> difference comes from recast ballots, where eligible voters recast ballots to
> change their votes, and struck votes, of which there were 34. (Some of the
> recast votes were also struck.)

Congratulations and good luck!

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Results of the 2017 Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees election

Subhashish Panigrahi
This is indeed a great news. Congratulations María, Dariusz and James! :)

Subhashish

On Sun, May 21, 2017 at 1:27 PM, Shlomi Fish <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, 21 May 2017 00:32:40 +0000
> matanya moses <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Greetings,
> >
> > The certified results of the 2017 Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees
> > election are now available on Meta-Wiki:
> > https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_
> elections/2017/Results
> >
> > Congratulations to María Sefidari (User:Raystorm), Dariusz Jemielniak
> > (User:pundit), and James Heilman (User:Doc James) for receiving the most
> > community support. Subject to a standard background check, they will be
> > appointed by the Board at their August meeting at Wikimania.
> >
> > These results have been certified by the elections committee, the
> Wikimedia
> > Foundation staff advisors to the committee, and the Board of Trustees.
> >
> > There were 5,581 votes cast, with 5,120 of those being valid. The
> 461-vote
> > difference comes from recast ballots, where eligible voters recast
> ballots to
> > change their votes, and struck votes, of which there were 34. (Some of
> the
> > recast votes were also struck.)
>
> Congratulations and good luck!

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Results of the 2017 Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees election

Chris Keating-2
Congratulations Maria, Dariusz, and James - I am sure you will do a great
job for the movement over the next few years!

I am proud and grateful to have had the support of 2,002 people,
particularly because this is a palindrome. :)

And thank you to all the other candidates, the elections committee and the
staff involved for making the election happen!

Chris

On Sun, May 21, 2017 at 1:32 AM, matanya moses <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> The certified results of the 2017 Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees
> election are now available on Meta-Wiki: https://meta.wikimedia.org/
> wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_elections/2017/Results
>
> Congratulations to María Sefidari (User:Raystorm), Dariusz Jemielniak
> (User:pundit), and James Heilman (User:Doc James) for receiving the most
> community support. Subject to a standard background check, they will be
> appointed by the Board at their August meeting at Wikimania.
>
> These results have been certified by the elections committee, the
> Wikimedia Foundation staff advisors to the committee, and the Board of
> Trustees.
>
> There were 5,581 votes cast, with 5,120 of those being valid. The 461-vote
> difference comes from recast ballots, where eligible voters recast ballots
> to change their votes, and struck votes, of which there were 34. (Some of
> the recast votes were also struck.)
>
> Additional information is available on the Wikimedia Blog:
> https://blog.wikimedia.org/2017/05/20/board-of-trustees-elections-2017/
>
> More statistics on the elections and a post-mortem from the committee will
> be published in the coming days. In the meantime, we would appreciate your
> input—what went well for you in this election?  What could we do better
> next time?  These reports are crucial to helping future elections be even
> more successful, and we hope that you will offer your feedback and ideas:
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_
> elections/2017/Post_mortem
>
> The committee would like to thank everyone that participated in this
> year’s election for helping make it, again, one of the most diverse and
> representative in the movement’s history.
>
> Sincerely,
> – Wikimedia Foundation Elections Committee

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Results of the 2017 Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees election

Nabin K. Sapkota
Congratulations to all and best wishes :)

Regards,
Nabin
Wikimedians of Nepal

On May 21, 2017 3:06 PM, "Chris Keating" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Congratulations Maria, Dariusz, and James - I am sure you will do a great
> job for the movement over the next few years!
>
> I am proud and grateful to have had the support of 2,002 people,
> particularly because this is a palindrome. :)
>
> And thank you to all the other candidates, the elections committee and the
> staff involved for making the election happen!
>
> Chris
>
> On Sun, May 21, 2017 at 1:32 AM, matanya moses <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Greetings,
> >
> > The certified results of the 2017 Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees
> > election are now available on Meta-Wiki: https://meta.wikimedia.org/
> > wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_elections/2017/Results
> >
> > Congratulations to María Sefidari (User:Raystorm), Dariusz Jemielniak
> > (User:pundit), and James Heilman (User:Doc James) for receiving the most
> > community support. Subject to a standard background check, they will be
> > appointed by the Board at their August meeting at Wikimania.
> >
> > These results have been certified by the elections committee, the
> > Wikimedia Foundation staff advisors to the committee, and the Board of
> > Trustees.
> >
> > There were 5,581 votes cast, with 5,120 of those being valid. The
> 461-vote
> > difference comes from recast ballots, where eligible voters recast
> ballots
> > to change their votes, and struck votes, of which there were 34. (Some of
> > the recast votes were also struck.)
> >
> > Additional information is available on the Wikimedia Blog:
> > https://blog.wikimedia.org/2017/05/20/board-of-trustees-elections-2017/
> >
> > More statistics on the elections and a post-mortem from the committee
> will
> > be published in the coming days. In the meantime, we would appreciate
> your
> > input—what went well for you in this election?  What could we do better
> > next time?  These reports are crucial to helping future elections be even
> > more successful, and we hope that you will offer your feedback and ideas:
> > https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_
> > elections/2017/Post_mortem
> >
> > The committee would like to thank everyone that participated in this
> > year’s election for helping make it, again, one of the most diverse and
> > representative in the movement’s history.
> >
> > Sincerely,
> > – Wikimedia Foundation Elections Committee

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Results of the 2017 Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees election

MZMcBride-2
matanya moses wrote:
>Congratulations to María Sefidari (User:Raystorm), Dariusz Jemielniak
>(User:pundit), and James Heilman (User:Doc James) for receiving the most
>community support. Subject to a standard background check, they will be
>appointed by the Board at their August meeting at Wikimania.

For those wondering, two of the people who supported James' removal from
the Board of Trustees in December 2015 are still serving: Alice and Jimmy.

And the two people who opposed the resolution (Dariusz and James) are now
among the three people being reappointed.

* https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Resolution:James_Heilman_Removal
* https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Board_of_Trustees
* https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Former_Board_of_Trustees_members

MZMcBride

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Results of the 2017 Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees election

Rogol Domedonfors
Indeed.  It would be appropriate for members of the Board to state now, in
public and for the record, that they accept the democratically expressed
wishes of the community and will reappoint James at the due time.

On Mon, May 22, 2017 at 12:18 AM, MZMcBride <[hidden email]> wrote:

> matanya moses wrote:
> >Congratulations to María Sefidari (User:Raystorm), Dariusz Jemielniak
> >(User:pundit), and James Heilman (User:Doc James) for receiving the most
> >community support. Subject to a standard background check, they will be
> >appointed by the Board at their August meeting at Wikimania.
>
> For those wondering, two of the people who supported James' removal from
> the Board of Trustees in December 2015 are still serving: Alice and Jimmy.
>
> And the two people who opposed the resolution (Dariusz and James) are now
> among the three people being reappointed.
>
> * https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Resolution:James_Heilman_Removal
> * https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Board_of_Trustees
> * https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Former_Board_of_Trustees_members
>
> MZMcBride

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Results of the 2017 Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees election

Tito Dutta
Many congrats to all the members. Good wishes and all the best.

On 22 May 2017 at 11:53, Rogol Domedonfors <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Indeed.  It would be appropriate for members of the Board to state now, in
> public and for the record, that they accept the democratically expressed
> wishes of the community and will reappoint James at the due time.
>

> On Mon, May 22, 2017 at 12:18 AM, MZMcBride <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > matanya moses wrote:
> > >Congratulations to María Sefidari (User:Raystorm), Dariusz Jemielniak
> > >(User:pundit), and James Heilman (User:Doc James) for receiving the most
> > >community support. Subject to a standard background check, they will be
> > >appointed by the Board at their August meeting at Wikimania.
> >
> > For those wondering, two of the people who supported James' removal from
> > the Board of Trustees in December 2015 are still serving: Alice and
> Jimmy.
> >
> > And the two people who opposed the resolution (Dariusz and James) are now
> > among the three people being reappointed.
> >
> > * https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Resolution:James_Heilman_Removal
> > * https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Board_of_Trustees
> > * https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Former_Board_of_Trustees_members
> >
> > MZMcBride

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Results of the 2017 Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees election

Isaac Olatunde
Congratulations to the newly elected members and many thanks to members of
the election committee.

Regards,

Isaac.

On Mon, May 22, 2017 at 3:12 AM, Tito Dutta <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Many congrats to all the members. Good wishes and all the best.
>

> On 22 May 2017 at 11:53, Rogol Domedonfors <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Indeed.  It would be appropriate for members of the Board to state now,
> in
> > public and for the record, that they accept the democratically expressed
> > wishes of the community and will reappoint James at the due time.

> most
> be
> > >
> > > For those wondering, two of the people who supported James' removal
> from
> > > the Board of Trustees in December 2015 are still serving: Alice and
> > Jimmy.
> > >
> > > And the two people who opposed the resolution (Dariusz and James) are
> now
> > > among the three people being reappointed.
> > >
> > > * https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Resolution:James_
> Heilman_Removal
> > > * https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Board_of_Trustees
> > > * https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Former_Board_of_
> Trustees_members
> > >
> > > MZMcBride

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Results of the 2017 Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees election

Austin Hair
I normally hate +1s, but I want to congratulate Doc James on his
reappointment to the board. I hope we've all learned from his previous
term, and can work together to benefit the movement.

With love,

One of your list administrators, who would rather not have to deal with
fiascos.

On May 23, 2017 02:12, "Isaac Olatunde" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Congratulations to the newly elected members and many thanks to members of
> the election committee.
>
> Regards,
>
> Isaac.
>
> On Mon, May 22, 2017 at 3:12 AM, Tito Dutta <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Many congrats to all the members. Good wishes and all the best.
> >

> > On 22 May 2017 at 11:53, Rogol Domedonfors <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > > Indeed.  It would be appropriate for members of the Board to state now,
> > in
> > > public and for the record, that they accept the democratically
> expressed
> > > wishes of the community and will reappoint James at the due time.

> Jemielniak
> > most
> > be

> > from
> > > Jimmy.

> > now

> > Heilman_Removal
> > Trustees_members

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Results of the 2017 Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees election

Fæ
+1 :-)

The elected candidates are ideal, making me feel confident that the
values and aspirations of the wider Wikimedia volunteer community will
be well represented in the coming year.

As previously mentioned, Alice and Jimmy were the main political
players in excluding Doc James from board discussions. The expulsion
of James from the board as an //elected// trustee has damaged the
reputation of the WMF board of trustees, and they must take fair
personal responsibility for those events. It would be great if both
Alice and Jimmy could speak up now, perhaps now thanking Doc James for
having the determination to run again for the board and ensuring the
community that they will do everything they can to ensure James is
supported and welcome, or have the wisdom to step down if they feel
unable to work collegiately and positively with their elected fellow
trustees.

The historical theme of the WMF board being directed by trustees that
have never stood for an open election is an embarrassment in the light
of the unnecessarily policial recent history of the WMF. We are
overdue for the board to be seen to get their fingers out, do some
meaningful housekeeping, and re-invent itself as one that is properly
open, transparent and accountable to volunteers as well as large rich
donors. Naturally, well intentioned folks who "happen to" benefit from
their sticky conflicts of interest in directly related commercial
ventures, such as Wikia and Wikitrubune, should not be anywhere near
the board, nor should they hold positions of influence on related
committees and trusts where the potential conflicts of loyalty
represent financial and reputational risks for the Wikimedia community
and the Wikimedia Foundation.

Fae

On 23 May 2017 at 12:34, Austin Hair <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I normally hate +1s, but I want to congratulate Doc James on his
> reappointment to the board. I hope we've all learned from his previous
> term, and can work together to benefit the movement.
>
> With love,
>
> One of your list administrators, who would rather not have to deal with
> fiascos.
>
> On May 23, 2017 02:12, "Isaac Olatunde" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Congratulations to the newly elected members and many thanks to members of
>> the election committee.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Isaac.
>>
>> On Mon, May 22, 2017 at 3:12 AM, Tito Dutta <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > Many congrats to all the members. Good wishes and all the best.

>> > in
>> expressed

>> Jemielniak
>> > most
>> > be

>> > from

>> > now

>> > Heilman_Removal
>> > Trustees_members

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Results of the 2017 Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees election

James Salsman-2
Instead of blaming people, I blame the idea that board members should ever
be ejected if they have lost the trust or confidence of other board
members, or because other members feel uncomfortable working with them, or
because they may choose to withhold or be more forthcoming with information
than other members prefer.

Joining a representative body should require a conscious effort to avoid
groupthink, not a suicide pact to abide by it.

On Tue, May 23, 2017 at 8:06 PM Fæ <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > fiascos.
> >
> > On May 23, 2017 02:12, "Isaac Olatunde" <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Congratulations to the newly elected members and many thanks to members
> of
> >> the election committee.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> Isaac.

> now,
> >> expressed

> >> Jemielniak
> the
> will

> removal
> and

> are

> ?subject=unsubscribe>

> ?subject=unsubscribe>

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Results of the 2017 Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees election

Dariusz Jemielniak-3
To be fair, while I opposed THIS particular removal from the Board, I think
the Board SHOULD have the right to expel people who are perceived as
disruptive, uncooperative, or not fulfilling their fiduciary duties well.

Such cases should be rare, and exceptionally well grounded and explained
(whenever possible).

Best,

Dj

On May 23, 2017 3:14 PM, "James Salsman" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

> > fiascos.
> >
> > On May 23, 2017 02:12, "Isaac Olatunde" <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Congratulations to the newly elected members and many thanks to members
> of
> >> the election committee.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> Isaac.

> now,
> >> expressed

> >> Jemielniak
> the
> will

> removal
> and

> are

> ?subject=unsubscribe>

> ?subject=unsubscribe>

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Results of the 2017 Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees election

Anna Stillwell
Welcome to the new / old trustees. I'm thankful for your continued service
to the movement.

Let's turn our attention toward the future and work together for the
benefit of the movement.

Warmly,
/a

On Tue, May 23, 2017 at 10:53 AM, Dariusz Jemielniak <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> > > reappointment to the board. I hope we've all learned from his previous
> > > term, and can work together to benefit the movement.
> > >
> > > With love,
> > >
> > > One of your list administrators, who would rather not have to deal with
> > > fiascos.

> members
> > of

> > now,

> > the
> > will

> > removal
> > and

> James)
> > are

> > ?subject=unsubscribe>

> > ?subject=unsubscribe>

> > ,
> unsubscribe>

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Results of the 2017 Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees election

Hello all and particularly the Elections Committee!

I just wondered what is happening in terms of post-mortem on the elections.
There was a call for comments on Meta - is there any kind of active review
by the Election Committee happening? I know in previous years the EC has
often made extensive comments to shape future years!

Regards,

Chris