[Wikimedia Announcements] Welcoming Ryan Merkley to the Wikimedia Foundation

[Wikimedia Announcements] Welcoming Ryan Merkley to the Wikimedia Foundation

Katherine Maher
Hi everyone,

I’m excited to let you all know that Ryan Merkley, formerly CEO of Creative Commons, is joining the Wikimedia Foundation as my new chief of staff.

Many of you have met Ryan before -- at CC Summit, Wikimania, Wikimedia Summit, or MozFest. He’s a leader in open source, open knowledge, and free-culture communities, and for the past five years, he’s been the CEO of Creative Commons, initiating programs like CC search to index all 1.6 billion licensed works online. He’s passionate about the power of the commons, and the role that everyone can play in making it sustainable and open to all. I couldn’t be happier he’s now bringing this passion and experience to our movement.

In Ryan’s own words, “My heart has always been in open communities, and  the power of collective acts --  that is, the things that people can only do when they work together, like building a commons of free knowledge for every person.”

For now, Ryan’s two top priorities will be bolstering the work of the movement strategy team and supporting the Board. He’ll support the strategy core team to move the Working Group recommendations into implementation within the community and Foundation over the course of the coming year. He’ll also serve as Board liaison to the Board of Trustees, strengthening the connections, communications, and coordination between Trustees and the Foundation. Internally, he’ll support the office of the Executive Director, acting in my stead on various projects.

I’m excited by this new role for an old friend of the open community. Ryan knows our movement well. He has spent many hours with many Wikimedians, and understands the centrality of the community to the Wikimedia mission and identity. His background as a partner to Wikimedia, and a leader in the broader open movement will be invaluable to our work, and confirmation of the importance of community experience in Foundation leadership.

Ryan doesn’t start in his new role until Monday, September 16th. However, he will be at Wikimania, so for those of you attending, please say hi, and join me in welcoming him to Wikimedia!

Katherine

P.S. This announcement can also be found on our news page: https://wikimediafoundation.org/news/2019/08/13/wikimedia-foundation-welcomes-ryan-merkley-as-chief-of-staff-to-the-office-of-the-executive-director

--

Katherine Maher (she/her)

Executive Director

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Welcoming Ryan Merkley to the Wikimedia Foundation

Rajeeb Dutta
Congrats Ryan & all my best wishes, thanks Katherine for the update.

Best Regards,
Rajeeb.
(U: Marajozkee)
Sent from my iPhone

> On 13-Aug-2019, at 10:15 PM, Katherine Maher <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> I’m excited to let you all know that Ryan Merkley, formerly CEO of Creative Commons, is joining the Wikimedia Foundation as my new chief of staff.
>
> Many of you have met Ryan before -- at CC Summit, Wikimania, Wikimedia Summit, or MozFest. He’s a leader in open source, open knowledge, and free-culture communities, and for the past five years, he’s been the CEO of Creative Commons, initiating programs like CC search to index all 1.6 billion licensed works online. He’s passionate about the power of the commons, and the role that everyone can play in making it sustainable and open to all. I couldn’t be happier he’s now bringing this passion and experience to our movement.
>
> In Ryan’s own words, “My heart has always been in open communities, and  the power of collective acts --  that is, the things that people can only do when they work together, like building a commons of free knowledge for every person.”
>
> For now, Ryan’s two top priorities will be bolstering the work of the movement strategy team and supporting the Board. He’ll support the strategy core team to move the Working Group recommendations into implementation within the community and Foundation over the course of the coming year. He’ll also serve as Board liaison to the Board of Trustees, strengthening the connections, communications, and coordination between Trustees and the Foundation. Internally, he’ll support the office of the Executive Director, acting in my stead on various projects.
>
> I’m excited by this new role for an old friend of the open community. Ryan knows our movement well. He has spent many hours with many Wikimedians, and understands the centrality of the community to the Wikimedia mission and identity. His background as a partner to Wikimedia, and a leader in the broader open movement will be invaluable to our work, and confirmation of the importance of community experience in Foundation leadership.
>
> Ryan doesn’t start in his new role until Monday, September 16th. However, he will be at Wikimania, so for those of you attending, please say hi, and join me in welcoming him to Wikimedia!
>
> Katherine
>
> P.S. This announcement can also be found on our news page: https://wikimediafoundation.org/news/2019/08/13/wikimedia-foundation-welcomes-ryan-merkley-as-chief-of-staff-to-the-office-of-the-executive-director
>
> --
>
> Katherine Maher (she/her)
> Executive Director
> Wikimedia Foundation

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Welcoming Ryan Merkley to the Wikimedia Foundation

Jeff Hawke
"*support the strategy core team to move the Working Group recommendations
into implementation within the community and Foundation over the course of
the coming year."*

Does that mean that it has already been decided to implement those
rcommendations, irrespective to the views of the Community?

Jeff

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Welcoming Ryan Merkley to the Wikimedia Foundation

Effe iets anders
Congrats Ryan!

The main question here at Wikimania is really... Will you be more like Leo
McGarry or like Doug Stamper as far as it comes to problem solving? :)

Lodewijk

On Wed, Aug 14, 2019, 07:33 Rajeeb Dutta <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> and a leader in the broader open movement will be invaluable to our work,
> and confirmation of the importance of community experience in Foundation
> leadership.
> >
> > Ryan doesn’t start in his new role until Monday, September 16th.
> However, he will be at Wikimania, so for those of you attending, please say
> hi, and join me in welcoming him to Wikimedia!
> >
> > Katherine
> >
> > P.S. This announcement can also be found on our news page:
> https://wikimediafoundation.org/news/2019/08/13/wikimedia-foundation-welcomes-ryan-merkley-as-chief-of-staff-to-the-office-of-the-executive-director
> >
> > --
> >
> > Katherine Maher (she/her)
> > Executive Director
> > Wikimedia Foundation

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Welcoming Ryan Merkley to the Wikimedia Foundation

Eileen Hershenov
Wait - how many people did Doug Stamper murder?

On Wed, Aug 14, 2019 at 5:54 PM effe iets anders <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> Director,
> > acting in my stead on various projects.
> > >
> > > I’m excited by this new role for an old friend of the open community.
> > Ryan knows our movement well. He has spent many hours with many
> > Wikimedians, and understands the centrality of the community to the
> > Wikimedia mission and identity. His background as a partner to Wikimedia,
> > and a leader in the broader open movement will be invaluable to our work,
> > and confirmation of the importance of community experience in Foundation
> > leadership.
> > >
> > > Ryan doesn’t start in his new role until Monday, September 16th.
> > However, he will be at Wikimania, so for those of you attending, please
> say
> > hi, and join me in welcoming him to Wikimedia!
> > >
> > > Katherine
> > >
> > > P.S. This announcement can also be found on our news page:

Eileen B. Hershenov
Of Counsel
Wikimedia Foundation
1 Montgomery Street, Suite 1600
<https://maps.google.com/?q=1+Montgomery+Street,+Suite+1600+%0D+San+Francisco,+CA+94104&entry=gmail&source=g>
San Francisco, CA 94104
<https://maps.google.com/?q=1+Montgomery+Street,+Suite+1600+%0D+San+Francisco,+CA+94104&entry=gmail&source=g>
Registered In-House Counsel, State Bar of CA
Licensed in NY State
[hidden email]
(US) 415-483-6676

*NOTICE: This message may be confidential or legally privileged. If you
have received it by accident, please delete it and let us know about the
mistake. As an attorney for the Wikimedia Foundation and for legal/ethical
reasons, I cannot give legal advice to, or serve as a lawyer for, community
members, volunteers, or staff members in their personal capacity. For more
on what this means, please see our legal disclaimer
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Legal_Disclaimer>.*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Welcoming Ryan Merkley to the Wikimedia Foundation

bobby shabangu
Congratulations and Welcome on board to Ryan!

Regards,
Bobby Shabangu

On Thu, 15 Aug 2019 at 01:28, Eileen Hershenov <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> https://maps.google.com/?q=1+Montgomery+Street,+Suite+1600+%0D+San+Francisco,+CA+94104&entry=gmail&source=g
> >
> Registered In-House Counsel, State Bar of CA
> Licensed in NY State
> [hidden email]
> (US) 415-483-6676
>
> *NOTICE: This message may be confidential or legally privileged. If you
> have received it by accident, please delete it and let us know about the
> mistake. As an attorney for the Wikimedia Foundation and for legal/ethical
> reasons, I cannot give legal advice to, or serve as a lawyer for, community
> members, volunteers, or staff members in their personal capacity. For more
> on what this means, please see our legal disclaimer
> <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Legal_Disclaimer>.*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Welcoming Ryan Merkley to the Wikimedia Foundation

Itzik - Wikimedia Israel
Such great news! Welcome, Ryan!

*Itzik Edri*
Chairperson (volunteer)
[hidden email]
+972-54-5878078

On Wed, Aug 14, 2019 at 1:02 AM Katherine Maher <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I’m excited to let you all know that Ryan Merkley, formerly CEO of Creative
> Commons, is joining the Wikimedia Foundation as my new chief of staff.
>
> Many of you have met Ryan before -- at CC Summit, Wikimania, Wikimedia
> Summit, or MozFest. He’s a leader in open source, open knowledge, and
> free-culture communities, and for the past five years, he’s been the CEO of
> Creative Commons, initiating programs like CC search to index all 1.6
> billion licensed works online. He’s passionate about the power of the
> commons, and the role that everyone can play in making it sustainable and
> open to all. I couldn’t be happier he’s now bringing this passion and
> experience to our movement.
>
> In Ryan’s own words, “My heart has always been in open communities, and
>  the power of collective acts --  that is, the things that people can only
> do when they work together, like building a commons of free knowledge for
> every person.”
>
> For now, Ryan’s two top priorities will be bolstering the work of the
> movement strategy team and supporting the Board. He’ll support the strategy
> core team to move the Working Group recommendations into implementation
> within the community and Foundation over the course of the coming year.
> He’ll also serve as Board liaison to the Board of Trustees, strengthening
> the connections, communications, and coordination between Trustees and the
> Foundation. Internally, he’ll support the office of the Executive Director,
> acting in my stead on various projects.
>
> I’m excited by this new role for an old friend of the open community. Ryan
> knows our movement well. He has spent many hours with many Wikimedians, and
> understands the centrality of the community to the Wikimedia mission and
> identity. His background as a partner to Wikimedia, and a leader in the
> broader open movement will be invaluable to our work, and confirmation of
> the importance of community experience in Foundation leadership.
>
> Ryan doesn’t start in his new role until Monday, September 16th. However,
> he will be at Wikimania, so for those of you attending, please say hi, and
> join me in welcoming him to Wikimedia!
>
> Katherine
>
> P.S. This announcement can also be found on our news page:
>
> https://wikimediafoundation.org/news/2019/08/13/wikimedia-foundation-welcomes-ryan-merkley-as-chief-of-staff-to-the-office-of-the-executive-director
>
> --
>
> Katherine Maher (she/her)
>
> Executive Director

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Welcoming Ryan Merkley to the Wikimedia Foundation

Isaac Olatunde
Good news Katherine. I wish you all the best in your new role Merkley.

Regards,

Isaac

On Thu, Aug 15, 2019, 8:56 AM Itzik - Wikimedia Israel <
[hidden email] wrote:

> [...]
> > broader open movement will be invaluable to our work, and confirmation of
> > the importance of community experience in Foundation leadership.
> >
> > Ryan doesn’t start in his new role until Monday, September 16th. However,
> > he will be at Wikimania, so for those of you attending, please say hi,
> and
> > join me in welcoming him to Wikimedia!
> >
> > Katherine
> >
> > P.S. This announcement can also be found on our news page:
> >

> https://wikimediafoundation.org/news/2019/08/13/wikimedia-foundation-welcomes-ryan-merkley-as-chief-of-staff-to-the-office-of-the-executive-director
> >
> > --
> >
> > Katherine Maher (she/her)
> >
> > Executive Director
> >
> > Wikimedia Foundation <https://wikimediafoundation.org/>

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Welcoming Ryan Merkley to the Wikimedia Foundation

Kalliope Tsouroupidou
Welcome aboard, Ryan! Good to have you with us.

Warm regards,

K.

On Thu, Aug 15, 2019 at 10:55 AM Isaac Olatunde <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> > Ryan
> > > knows our movement well. He has spent many hours with many Wikimedians,
> > and
> > > understands the centrality of the community to the Wikimedia mission
> and
> > > identity. His background as a partner to Wikimedia, and a leader in the
> > > broader open movement will be invaluable to our work, and confirmation
> of
> > > the importance of community experience in Foundation leadership.
> > >
> > > Ryan doesn’t start in his new role until Monday, September 16th.
> However,
> > > he will be at Wikimania, so for those of you attending, please say hi,
> > and
> > > join me in welcoming him to Wikimedia!
> > >
> > > Katherine
> > >
> > > P.S. This announcement can also be found on our news page:

Operations Manager, Trust and Safety

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Welcoming Ryan Merkley to the Wikimedia Foundation

Natacha Rault via Wikimedia-l
Congratulations Ryan and welcome on board.
Kayode Yussuf

wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I’m excited to let you all know that Ryan Merkley, formerly CEO of Creative
> Commons, is joining the Wikimedia Foundation as my new chief of staff.
>
> Many of you have met Ryan before -- at CC Summit, Wikimania, Wikimedia
> Summit, or MozFest. He’s a leader in open source, open knowledge, and
> free-culture communities, and for the past five years, he’s been the CEO of
> Creative Commons, initiating programs like CC search to index all 1.6
> billion licensed works online. He’s passionate about the power of the
> commons, and the role that everyone can play in making it sustainable and
> open to all. I couldn’t be happier he’s now bringing this passion and
> experience to our movement.
>
> In Ryan’s own words, “My heart has always been in open communities, and
>  the power of collective acts --  that is, the things that people can only
> do when they work together, like building a commons of free knowledge for
> every person.”
>
> For now, Ryan’s two top priorities will be bolstering the work of the
> movement strategy team and supporting the Board. He’ll support the strategy
> core team to move the Working Group recommendations into implementation
> within the community and Foundation over the course of the coming year.
> He’ll also serve as Board liaison to the Board of Trustees, strengthening
> the connections, communications, and coordination between Trustees and the
> Foundation. Internally, he’ll support the office of the Executive Director,
> acting in my stead on various projects.
>
> I’m excited by this new role for an old friend of the open community. Ryan
> knows our movement well. He has spent many hours with many Wikimedians, and
> understands the centrality of the community to the Wikimedia mission and
> identity. His background as a partner to Wikimedia, and a leader in the
> broader open movement will be invaluable to our work, and confirmation of
> the importance of community experience in Foundation leadership.
>
> Ryan doesn’t start in his new role until Monday, September 16th. However,
> he will be at Wikimania, so for those of you attending, please say hi, and
> join me in welcoming him to Wikimedia!
>
> Katherine
>
> P.S. This announcement can also be found on our news page:
>
> https://wikimediafoundation.org/news/2019/08/13/wikimedia-foundation-welcomes-ryan-merkley-as-chief-of-staff-to-the-office-of-the-executive-director
>
> --
>
> Katherine Maher (she/her)
>
> Executive Director

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Welcoming Ryan Merkley to the Wikimedia Foundation

Chris Keating-2
> "*support the strategy core team to move the Working Group recommendations
> into implementation within the community and Foundation over the course of
> the coming year."*
>
> Does that mean that it has already been decided to implement those
> rcommendations, irrespective to the views of the Community?

No, just that it's expect that at least some recommendations will be
implemented in some way. In some areas it might well be that some of the
final recommendations involve a further period of consultation and
discussion.

Chris

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Welcoming Ryan Merkley to the Wikimedia Foundation

Oby Ezeilo
Welcome on board Ryan .

On Tue, Aug 13, 2019 at 11:02 PM Katherine Maher <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I’m excited to let you all know that Ryan Merkley, formerly CEO of Creative
> Commons, is joining the Wikimedia Foundation as my new chief of staff.
>
> Many of you have met Ryan before -- at CC Summit, Wikimania, Wikimedia
> Summit, or MozFest. He’s a leader in open source, open knowledge, and
> free-culture communities, and for the past five years, he’s been the CEO of
> Creative Commons, initiating programs like CC search to index all 1.6
> billion licensed works online. He’s passionate about the power of the
> commons, and the role that everyone can play in making it sustainable and
> open to all. I couldn’t be happier he’s now bringing this passion and
> experience to our movement.
>
> In Ryan’s own words, “My heart has always been in open communities, and
>  the power of collective acts --  that is, the things that people can only
> do when they work together, like building a commons of free knowledge for
> every person.”
>
> For now, Ryan’s two top priorities will be bolstering the work of the
> movement strategy team and supporting the Board. He’ll support the strategy
> core team to move the Working Group recommendations into implementation
> within the community and Foundation over the course of the coming year.
> He’ll also serve as Board liaison to the Board of Trustees, strengthening
> the connections, communications, and coordination between Trustees and the
> Foundation. Internally, he’ll support the office of the Executive Director,
> acting in my stead on various projects.
>
> I’m excited by this new role for an old friend of the open community. Ryan
> knows our movement well. He has spent many hours with many Wikimedians, and
> understands the centrality of the community to the Wikimedia mission and
> identity. His background as a partner to Wikimedia, and a leader in the
> broader open movement will be invaluable to our work, and confirmation of
> the importance of community experience in Foundation leadership.
>
> Ryan doesn’t start in his new role until Monday, September 16th. However,
> he will be at Wikimania, so for those of you attending, please say hi, and
> join me in welcoming him to Wikimedia!
>
> Katherine
>
> P.S. This announcement can also be found on our news page:
>
> https://wikimediafoundation.org/news/2019/08/13/wikimedia-foundation-welcomes-ryan-merkley-as-chief-of-staff-to-the-office-of-the-executive-director
>
> --
>
> Katherine Maher (she/her)
>
> Executive Director

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Welcoming Ryan Merkley to the Wikimedia Foundation

Olushola Olaniyan
Ryan,

Congratulations!!!

You are welcome on board.

On Tue, Aug 13, 2019, 23:01 Katherine Maher <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I’m excited to let you all know that Ryan Merkley, formerly CEO of
> Creative Commons, is joining the Wikimedia Foundation as my new chief of
> staff.
>
> Many of you have met Ryan before -- at CC Summit, Wikimania, Wikimedia
> Summit, or MozFest. He’s a leader in open source, open knowledge, and
> free-culture communities, and for the past five years, he’s been the CEO of
> Creative Commons, initiating programs like CC search to index all 1.6
> billion licensed works online. He’s passionate about the power of the
> commons, and the role that everyone can play in making it sustainable and
> open to all. I couldn’t be happier he’s now bringing this passion and
> experience to our movement.
>
> In Ryan’s own words, “My heart has always been in open communities, and
>  the power of collective acts --  that is, the things that people can only
> do when they work together, like building a commons of free knowledge for
> every person.”
>
> For now, Ryan’s two top priorities will be bolstering the work of the
> movement strategy team and supporting the Board. He’ll support the strategy
> core team to move the Working Group recommendations into implementation
> within the community and Foundation over the course of the coming year.
> He’ll also serve as Board liaison to the Board of Trustees, strengthening
> the connections, communications, and coordination between Trustees and the
> Foundation. Internally, he’ll support the office of the Executive Director,
> acting in my stead on various projects.
>
> I’m excited by this new role for an old friend of the open community. Ryan
> knows our movement well. He has spent many hours with many Wikimedians, and
> understands the centrality of the community to the Wikimedia mission and
> identity. His background as a partner to Wikimedia, and a leader in the
> broader open movement will be invaluable to our work, and confirmation of
> the importance of community experience in Foundation leadership.
>
> Ryan doesn’t start in his new role until Monday, September 16th. However,
> he will be at Wikimania, so for those of you attending, please say hi, and
> join me in welcoming him to Wikimedia!
>
> Katherine
>
> P.S. This announcement can also be found on our news page:
> https://wikimediafoundation.org/news/2019/08/13/wikimedia-foundation-welcomes-ryan-merkley-as-chief-of-staff-to-the-office-of-the-executive-director
>
> --
>
> Katherine Maher (she/her)
>
> Executive Director

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Welcoming Ryan Merkley to the Wikimedia Foundation

Paulo Santos Perneta
Glad to have someone from CC onboard, welcome Ryan!

Paulo

Katherine Maher <[hidden email]> escreveu no dia terça, 13/08/2019
à(s) 23:02: