Wikimedia Board Elections 2011: Please translate

Wikimedia Board Elections 2011: Please translate

Jon Harald Søby
On behalf of the 2011 election committee I would like to request the translation of the election pages of this year's Wikimedia Foundation board election. The translation coordination page can be found at [[m:Board elections/2011/Translation]].

In this year's election we have tried to reuse as much of the 2009 election pages as possible, to make it easier on translators. On the translation coordination page there is a box with links to diffs showing the changes between the 2009 and 2011 election pages. In most of them you will only have to change the year and some dates from 2009, which is very easy. The biggest changes are in the introduction and rules page, but that should also be fairly easy to do using the 2009 translation as a guide. (I did all of the Norwegian Bokmål translations myself in about 45 minutes, so it shouldn't be hard if your language was translated in 2009.)

Hoping to see all of the languages from 2009, and quite a few more hopefully! Thanks for your help.
When the candidate submissions (which is the biggest chunk, and of course cannot be reused) I will post a new request for translations. Happy editing!

--
mvh

test the editor survey

Mani Pande
Hello everyone,

As most of you are aware we are in the process of launching the editor survey shortly. We are very excited as the survey has been programmed, and is currently available in 22 languages. Thanks for making this possible. We would not have had the survey in 22 languages without the help of all the editors who volunteered their time to translate the survey.

The survey is available in the following languages: English, Chinese (traditional, Hong Kong), Chinese (simplified), Serbian, Russian, Portuguese, Polish, Dutch, Macedonian, Italian, Hungarian, Croatian, Hebrew, French, Finnish, Spanish, German, Danish, Welsh, Catalan, Bulgarian and Arabic.

Before we launch the survey, we would like to test the non-English surveys. I am hoping that some of you would be willing to test the survey in your native language. I want to test the survey for  language and timing. It will be akin to taking the survey like a respondent, but responses from the test will not be saved. We are only looking for your feedback to make the survey better. You can click on the following link to test the survey:

http://survey.wikimedia.org/index.php?sid=52769&lang=en

I am hoping to test the survey on two important criteria:
1. Timing: Please take the survey without any interruptions, and give us an estimate of how long it took to complete the survey. In English, it takes about 20 minutes to complete the survey.
2. Language: Are the questions easy to understand? I would like to make sure that the questions are valid in the local cultural context. Is the translation (survey and interface) broken in any way?

We will close the test on April 13, Wednesday at 12.00 PM (PST). Please send your feedback to me at [hidden email] till Wednesday.

Thanks in advance
Mani

Re: test the editor survey

rubin.happy
Re: [Translators-l] test the editor survey Hello!

English survey has question "Did you make any anonymous edits in Wikipedia before you registered as a user or set up an account?".

I haven't found it in <http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_Editors_Survey_2011/Translation/en>, and that's why Russian version also doesn't have it (<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_Editors_Survey_2011/Translation/ru>). And in Russian version of survey we get empty question (only answers, no question) after question about languages.

Re: test the editor survey

Amir E. Aharoni
There's a huge problem with it: right-to-left directionality is
applied to every paragraph and not to the whole page. This completely
ruins the presentation for Arabic and Hebrew. Just look how the radio
buttons are aligned to understand how bad it is.

There are several smaller problems, but this problem absolutely must
be fixed. In HTML it's very easy to do and i hope that LimeSurvey
doesn't make it a lot harder.

http://aharoni.wordpress.com
"We're living in pieces,
 I want to live in peace." - T. Moore

2011/4/9 Mani Pande <[hidden email]>:

> Hello everyone,
>
> As most of you are aware we are in the process of launching the editor
> survey shortly. We are very excited as the survey has been programmed, and
> is currently available in 22 languages. Thanks for making this possible. We
> would not have had the survey in 22 languages without the help of all the
> editors who volunteered their time to translate the survey.
>
> The survey is available in the following languages: English, Chinese
> (traditional, Hong Kong), Chinese (simplified), Serbian, Russian,
> Portuguese, Polish, Dutch, Macedonian, Italian, Hungarian, Croatian, Hebrew,
> French, Finnish, Spanish, German, Danish, Welsh, Catalan, Bulgarian and
> Arabic.
>
> Before we launch the survey, we would like to test the non-English surveys.
> I am hoping that some of you would be willing to test the survey in your
> native language. I want to test the survey for  language and timing. It will
> be akin to taking the survey like a respondent, but responses from the test
> will not be saved. We are only looking for your feedback to make the survey
> better. You can click on the following link to test the survey:
>
> http://survey.wikimedia.org/index.php?sid=52769&lang=en
>
> I am hoping to test the survey on two important criteria:
> 1. Timing: Please take the survey without any interruptions, and give us an
> estimate of how long it took to complete the survey. In English, it takes
> about 20 minutes to complete the survey.
> 2. Language: Are the questions easy to understand? I would like to make sure
> that the questions are valid in the local cultural context. Is the
> translation (survey and interface) broken in any way?
>
> We will close the test on April 13, Wednesday at 12.00 PM (PST). Please send
> your feedback to me at [hidden email] till Wednesday.
>
> Thanks in advance
> Mani

Re: test the editor survey

Pedro Sanchez-2
On Sat, Apr 9, 2011 at 10:06 AM, Mani Pande <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> As most of you are aware we are in the process of launching the editor
> survey shortly. We are very excited as the survey has been programmed, and
> is currently available in 22 languages. Thanks for making this possible. We
> would not have had the survey in 22 languages without the help of all the
> editors who volunteered their time to translate the survey.
(...)

Problem on ALL translations:

First Question (about what year you started contributing):
the reply asks you to set a full date (day/month/year) while the
question only asks about year

Now, this is an issue since I remember the year top of my head, but
taking the trouble to locate my first edit in order to complete
day/month puts me off completing the rest of the survey

There should be congruence on what is being asked to what is required for answer

--
Pedro Sánchez
http://drini.mx

Re: test the editor survey

Tobias
On 04/09/2011 05:06 PM, Mani Pande wrote:
> Before we launch the survey, we would like to test the non-English
> surveys. I am hoping that some of you would be willing to test the
> survey in your native language. I want to test the survey for  language
> and timing. It will be akin to taking the survey like a respondent, but
> feedback to make the survey better. You can click on the following link
> to test the survey:

I'm sorry for bringing this up at such a late point, but I *strongly*
urge you to make questions regarding personal information optional.
Currently information like age, level of education, enrollment in in
school or university, employment, having children, nationality and
gender are *required* in order to go on with the survey.

I can absolutely guarantee for German Wikipedia that there will be an
outcry if users are forced to surrender their personal information in
order to participate. User will either boycott the survey or enter wrong
information, if they dislike it.
German Wikipedians are very keen on privacy and surveys like this one
have been boycotted in the past.

(Just making a tactical suggestion, I'm not saying that all those
concerns by the community are justified)

Regards,
Tobias

Re: test the editor survey

Amir E. Aharoni
2011/4/9 church.of.emacs.ml <[hidden email]>:

> On 04/09/2011 05:06 PM, Mani Pande wrote:
>> Before we launch the survey, we would like to test the non-English
>> surveys. I am hoping that some of you would be willing to test the
>> survey in your native language. I want to test the survey for  language
>> and timing. It will be akin to taking the survey like a respondent, but
>> feedback to make the survey better. You can click on the following link
>> to test the survey:
>
> I'm sorry for bringing this up at such a late point, but I *strongly*
> urge you to make questions regarding personal information optional.
> Currently information like age, level of education, enrollment in in
> school or university, employment, having children, nationality and
> gender are *required* in order to go on with the survey.
>
> I can absolutely guarantee for German Wikipedia that there will be an
> outcry if users are forced to surrender their personal information in
> order to participate. User will either boycott the survey or enter wrong
> information, if they dislike it.
> German Wikipedians are very keen on privacy and surveys like this one
> have been boycotted in the past.
>
> (Just making a tactical suggestion, I'm not saying that all those
> concerns by the community are justified)

I completely agree. Most likely it is true for Wikipedians from all
cultures: some of us are very open, but many of us are very private.

These questions must not be required.

http://aharoni.wordpress.com
"We're living in pieces,
 I want to live in peace." - T. Moore

Re: test the editor survey

Olli-6
Hello,
quote [Amir Elisha Aharoni]

> I completely agree. Most likely it is true for Wikipedians from all
> cultures: some of us are very open, but many of us are very private.
>
> These questions must not be required.

I agree to this as well.

1. Maybe language selection menu would contain native language names. (or like NativeName (EngName), ex. suomi (Finnish))

2. Maybe automatically language selection based on browser settings?

3. Global problem in D1a. is fixed in Finnish translation now, please update?

4. QUESTION # D2. year -field should be in right hand side, not left hand side,First character should not uppercased.

5. There is problem in QUESTION # Q26,Same text shows 2 times (it shows in second last and last questions)  (problem at least in Finnish version) WrongText:Haluaisimme tietää, mitkä henkilökohtaiset tietosi olet jakanut kaikkien nähtäväksi Wikipediassa. Mitkä seuraavista tiedoista olet jakanut Wikipediassa? Valitse kaikki jotka pitävät paikkansa.

Best regards,
Olli

Re: test the editor survey

Amir E. Aharoni

2011/4/9 Olli <[hidden email]>:

> Hello,
> quote [Amir Elisha Aharoni]
>>
>> I completely agree. Most likely it is true for Wikipedians from all
>> cultures: some of us are very open, but many of us are very private.
>>
>> These questions must not be required.
>
> I agree to this as well.
>
> 1. Maybe language selection menu would contain native language names. (or
> like NativeName (EngName), ex. suomi (Finnish))

This is important, because if someone picks the wrong language by
mistake, then all the names are written in that language! If you pick
Hebrew, by mistake, then to go back to English, you'll have to decide
whether it's אנגלית‎, עברית‎ or פינית. It's not a feature, it's a bug.

> 2. Maybe automatically language selection based on browser settings?

... That, or the language of the project from which the respondent came.

Re: test the editor survey

Casey Brown-5
On Sat, Apr 9, 2011 at 1:28 PM, Amir E. Aharoni
<[hidden email]> wrote:
>> 1. Maybe language selection menu would contain native language names. (or
>> like NativeName (EngName), ex. suomi (Finnish))
>
> This is important, because if someone picks the wrong language by
> mistake, then all the names are written in that language! If you pick
> Hebrew, by mistake, then to go back to English, you'll have to decide
> whether it's אנגלית‎, עברית‎ or פינית. It's not a feature, it's a bug.

I agree with this and have always hated it, but I'm not sure if this
is possible in LimeSurvey.

>> 2. Maybe automatically language selection based on browser settings?
>
> ... That, or the language of the project from which the respondent came.

That's how it will be setup.  They will arrive at the translation
request through the CentralNotice and the CN will pass their interface
language.

On Sat, Apr 9, 2011 at 12:23 PM, Amir E. Aharoni
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>> I'm sorry for bringing this up at such a late point, but I *strongly*
>> urge you to make questions regarding personal information optional.
>> Currently information like age, level of education, enrollment in in
>> school or university, employment, having children, nationality and
>> gender are *required* in order to go on with the survey.
>>
>> I can absolutely guarantee for German Wikipedia that there will be an
>> outcry if users are forced to surrender their personal information in
>> order to participate. User will either boycott the survey or enter wrong
>> information, if they dislike it.
>> German Wikipedians are very keen on privacy and surveys like this one
>> have been boycotted in the past.
>>
>> (Just making a tactical suggestion, I'm not saying that all those
>> concerns by the community are justified)
>
> I completely agree. Most likely it is true for Wikipedians from all
> cultures: some of us are very open, but many of us are very private.
>
> These questions must not be required.

Can you please make a list of what questions you think fall under this
category?  We've already made a few optional (as you must have seen),
but we need to know which ones.

--
Casey Brown
Cbrown1023

Re: test the editor survey

Casey Brown-5
On Sat, Apr 9, 2011 at 11:30 AM, Linar Khalitov <[hidden email]> wrote:
> English survey has question "Did you make any anonymous edits in Wikipedia
> before you registered as a user or set up an account?".
>
> I haven't found it in
> <http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_Editors_Survey_2011/Translation/en>,
> and that's why Russian version also doesn't have it
> (<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_Editors_Survey_2011/Translation/ru>).
> And in Russian version of survey we get empty question (only answers, no
> question) after question about languages.

This question was later added, so it was going to be English-only.
There's no way to say "only show this question if people are taking
the English survey", so we had to make it so that it only shows up if
you say English is one of your primary languages.

I guess the best way to fix this would be to leave it as is right now
(only shows up if they say English is a primary language), but put the
English text in the translations instead of leaving them blank.  Mani,
does that sound good?

--
Casey Brown
Cbrown1023

Re: test the editor survey

Casey Brown-5
On Sat, Apr 9, 2011 at 11:06 AM, Mani Pande <[hidden email]> wrote:
> As most of you are aware we are in the process of launching the editor
> survey shortly. We are very excited as the survey has been programmed, and
> is currently available in 22 languages. Thanks for making this possible. We
> would not have had the survey in 22 languages without the help of all the
> editors who volunteered their time to translate the survey.

I would like to second this.

Unfortunately, though, I have to ask you guys to help out with yet
another thing!  There's been an update to the survey introduction to
make it clearer to respondents and to make sure they know we
appreciate their time, since the survey is so long.

Would you mind updating the introduction of the translations?  Here is
the updated diff: <http://meta.wikimedia.org/?diff=2487779>

There will also be a change in the CentralNotice, but that text has
not been finalized yet.

I'm very sorry for these changes and the short notice, but we really
appreciate your help.

--
Casey Brown
Cbrown1023

Re: test the editor survey

Bence Damokos
I am not sure whether Limesurvey has a separate formal and informal translation for Hungarian, but currently the questions are informal while the interface is formal, which is a bit of a clash.

As for the questions, can we put a link to Special:Preferences for the question on when did you join and how many edits do you have? (Not everyone knows by heart their editcount, and the main page of the preferences happens to state that information.)

I personally would not make the "do you have children" question compulsory if the "are you married" one is already optional.
In the case of the "are you married" question, I feel that the "no answer" option is unnecessary, given that the question is optional. On the other hand, I would add a "no answer" option to the gender question which is compulsory.

Best regards,
Bence

On Sat, Apr 9, 2011 at 1:52 PM, Casey Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
> There will also be a change in the CentralNotice, but that text has
> not been finalized yet.

Okay, here's the updated text:

* Please take the 2011 Editor Survey by <a class="variable_lp"
href="#">clicking here</a>.
* Share your experiences and improve Wikipedia.
* You can save the survey at any time and finish it later, but this
may be the only time you will see this message.

The last line will be a small note, probably italicized.  Here's the
workspace diff: <http://meta.wikimedia.org/?diff=2487803>

--
Casey Brown
Cbrown1023

Re: test the editor survey

Béria Lima-2
Ok, i just took the survery to test it.

Timing:
  • 1 min (57s42) to answer the Introductory questions
  • 5 min (4m59s55) to answer Section I: Participation and Contribution
  • 4 min (4m13s71) to answer Section II: Technology and Networking
  • 6 min (6m13s57) to answer Section III: Wikipedia Community
  • 3 min (3m05s43) to answer Section IV: Wikipedia Readership and Donations
  • Total: 19m30s75
But keep in mind i translated the survery so, at some points i could answer faster because i remember what was there.

Remarks:

* I'm not completely sure if is in Q4 or Q5 in Section I, but the first option in portuguese translation show "u" in begin when should show "Eu". That is a typo who don't exist in meta version, please correct it.

* In Section 4, when ask if I voted for Board of Trustees election (D17) when i answered "yes" they opened the same question again (i believe should show me questions D19 and D19a)
_____
Béria Lima
Wikimedia Portugal
(351) 963 953 042

Imagine um mundo onde é dada a qualquer pessoa a possibilidade de ter livre acesso ao somatório de todo o conhecimento humano. É isso o que estamos a fazer.

2011/4/9 Casey Brown <[hidden email]>
On Sat, Apr 9, 2011 at 1:52 PM, Casey Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
> There will also be a change in the CentralNotice, but that text has
> not been finalized yet.

Okay, here's the updated text:

* Please take the 2011 Editor Survey by <a class="variable_lp"
href="#">clicking here</a>.
* Share your experiences and improve Wikipedia.
* You can save the survey at any time and finish it later, but this
may be the only time you will see this message.

The last line will be a small note, probably italicized.  Here's the
workspace diff: <http://meta.wikimedia.org/?diff=2487803>

--
Casey Brown
Cbrown1023

Re: test the editor survey

Amir E. Aharoni
2011/4/9 Casey Brown <[hidden email]>:

> On Sat, Apr 9, 2011 at 11:06 AM, Mani Pande <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> As most of you are aware we are in the process of launching the editor
>> survey shortly. We are very excited as the survey has been programmed, and
>> is currently available in 22 languages. Thanks for making this possible. We
>> would not have had the survey in 22 languages without the help of all the
>> editors who volunteered their time to translate the survey.
>
> I would like to second this.
>
> Unfortunately, though, I have to ask you guys to help out with yet
> another thing!  There's been an update to the survey introduction to
> make it clearer to respondents and to make sure they know we
> appreciate their time, since the survey is so long.
>
> Would you mind updating the introduction of the translations?  Here is
> the updated diff: <http://meta.wikimedia.org/?diff=2487779>

It says: "This is a pilot survey and will take approximately 20-30
minutes to complete."

What exactly does "a pilot survey" mean here?

And also: "We will also use basic information from your user profile
for analysis."

Which information from which profile? I thought that it's supposed to
be anonymous.

http://aharoni.wordpress.com
"We're living in pieces,
 I want to live in peace." - T. Moore

Re: test the editor survey

Amir E. Aharoni
2011/4/9 Mani Pande <[hidden email]>:
> Before we launch the survey, we would like to test the non-English surveys.

Some comments:

1. Nationality (citizenship) and country of residence should be
dropdowns. "Other" can be provided for people who want to enter
countries that aren't listed for whatever reasons (unrecognized etc.).

2. I found at least two Hebrew words which are incorrect in context
and which don't appear at all in the translation on Meta. They
probably come from the LimeSurvey localization.

3. Currency should be a dropdown - not everybody knows their currency code.

4. The "Session has expired" message is very frustrating. It's quite
possible that a user will walk away for a few minutes to get a coffee
and will find out that all his answers were discarded because his
session has expired. Is it possible to disable it or to make it a much
longer?

http://aharoni.wordpress.com
"We're living in pieces,
 I want to live in peace." - T. Moore

> I am hoping that some of you would be willing to test the survey in your
> native language. I want to test the survey for  language and timing. It will
> be akin to taking the survey like a respondent, but responses from the test
> will not be saved. We are only looking for your feedback to make the survey
> better. You can click on the following link to test the survey:
>
> http://survey.wikimedia.org/index.php?sid=52769&lang=en
>
> I am hoping to test the survey on two important criteria:
> 1. Timing: Please take the survey without any interruptions, and give us an
> estimate of how long it took to complete the survey. In English, it takes
> about 20 minutes to complete the survey.
> 2. Language: Are the questions easy to understand? I would like to make sure
> that the questions are valid in the local cultural context. Is the
> translation (survey and interface) broken in any way?
>
> We will close the test on April 13, Wednesday at 12.00 PM (PST). Please send
> your feedback to me at [hidden email] till Wednesday.
>
> Thanks in advance
> Mani

Re: test the editor survey

Yusuke Matsubara
Hi Mani,

The Japanese translation is mostly done and now being proofread.
Could you include it into the test?

Cheers,
Yusuke

On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 12:06 AM, Mani Pande <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> As most of you are aware we are in the process of launching the editor
> survey shortly. We are very excited as the survey has been programmed, and
> is currently available in 22 languages. Thanks for making this possible. We
> would not have had the survey in 22 languages without the help of all the
> editors who volunteered their time to translate the survey.
>
> The survey is available in the following languages: English, Chinese
> (traditional, Hong Kong), Chinese (simplified), Serbian, Russian,
> Portuguese, Polish, Dutch, Macedonian, Italian, Hungarian, Croatian, Hebrew,
> French, Finnish, Spanish, German, Danish, Welsh, Catalan, Bulgarian and
> Arabic.
>
> Before we launch the survey, we would like to test the non-English surveys.
> I am hoping that some of you would be willing to test the survey in your
> native language. I want to test the survey for  language and timing. It will
> be akin to taking the survey like a respondent, but responses from the test
> will not be saved. We are only looking for your feedback to make the survey
> better. You can click on the following link to test the survey:
>
> http://survey.wikimedia.org/index.php?sid=52769&lang=en
>
> I am hoping to test the survey on two important criteria:
> 1. Timing: Please take the survey without any interruptions, and give us an
> estimate of how long it took to complete the survey. In English, it takes
> about 20 minutes to complete the survey.
> 2. Language: Are the questions easy to understand? I would like to make sure
> that the questions are valid in the local cultural context. Is the
> translation (survey and interface) broken in any way?
>
> We will close the test on April 13, Wednesday at 12.00 PM (PST). Please send
> your feedback to me at [hidden email] till Wednesday.
>
> Thanks in advance
> Mani

Re: test the editor survey

Mani Pande
Hey everyone,
Thanks a lot for everyone who provided the feedback about the editor survey. Here are answers to some of your questions:
  • The English survey has an extra question about anonymous edits. It was added after the translations were completed. We will include it in the next version of the survey for all languages.
  • We will make more questions optional. But it is important for us to collect data on age, gender, education at the least.
  • The best way to report errors is through email to me or Casey Brown. I always read my email, I might not reply to folks individually, but I will make sure that your suggestions are taken into account before we run the survey. I am going to gather all the problems that you have pointed to and ask our programmer to fix them.
  • We are going to delete the question which asks respondents when they started editing the survey. The Lime Survey interface does not allow programming of only the year or month/year.
  • We will be drawing data from user profile: edit history (total number of edits and year they started editing) for analysis.
  • This survey is a "pilot survey" in the sense that we are testing what are good questions to ask the community, gather baseline data about the community. We will use the survey as a prototype to streamline future surveys. Our plan is to do the survey every six months.
Thanks
Mani

Mani Pande, PhD
Head of Global Development Research
Wikimedia Foundation
Twitter: manipande
Skype: manipande

On 04/11/2011 05:49 PM, Mani Pande wrote:
>     * We will be drawing data from user profile: edit history (total
>       number of edits and year they started editing) for analysis.

Okay, but please ask for the username and other sensitive data at the
beginning of the survey.
It's always bad if someone spends time completing a survey and can't
finish because the last question is mandatory and asking for personal
information ;-)

Regards,
Tobias