Wikimedia Board Elections 2011: Please translate

Re: test the editor survey

Tobias
Hi. Here's some more feedback:

* Give the option not to answer more often. If data sets of some users
become unusable after that, that's fine, don't use them. But don't force
every single subquestion to be answered
* Moreover, some mandatory questions don't have a "I don't know/I don't
want to answer" option. (Q17, Q18, Q27 just to give some examples...)
* Use an (almost) logarithmic scale instead of a linear one! Currently
on Q9 you give the options:
  <1, 1-2, 3-4, 5-6, 6-7, >8
  A better option set would be:
  <0.5, >0.5, >1, >2, >4, >6

There are quite some errors in the survey, most of them copy&paste
errors. Here errors for German:
* Q8a should be "Ein Handy", not "AEin Handy"
* D15b2 should be "Ist deine Spende von der Steuer absetzbar?", not "Wie
oft hast du an die Wikimedia Foundation gespendet?"
* D19 "Nein, ich war nicht wahlberechtigt", not "Nein, ich war nicht
wählbar"
* D13 "Für die Schul- oder Universitätsrecherche, aber nicht, um zu
zitieren", not "ür die Schul- oder Universitätsrecherche, aber nicht, um
zu zitieren "

Any estimate on when the survey is going to start? I want to give a
heads up at German Wikipedia (for some reason lots of users always want
to be informed before something happens).

Regards,
Tobias

Re: test the editor survey

Béria Lima-2
We are going to delete the question which asks respondents when they started editing the survey. The Lime Survey interface does not allow programming of only the year or month/year.

Or you can use a link to SUL tool ( http://toolserver.org/~vvv/sulutil.php? ) who gives you the exact date of your registered accounts. (in my case for example the oldest account is from 5 October 2007. You can also create a script to do that automatically if the user submit his/her username. With a script you can also have the rights the users have, and then be able to delete that question.
_____
Béria Lima
Wikimedia Portugal
(351) 963 953 042

Imagine um mundo onde é dada a qualquer pessoa a possibilidade de ter livre acesso ao somatório de todo o conhecimento humano. É isso o que estamos a fazer.

2011/4/11 Mani Pande <[hidden email]>
Hey everyone,
Thanks a lot for everyone who provided the feedback about the editor survey. Here are answers to some of your questions:
  • The English survey has an extra question about anonymous edits. It was added after the translations were completed. We will include it in the next version of the survey for all languages.
  • We will make more questions optional. But it is important for us to collect data on age, gender, education at the least.
  • The best way to report errors is through email to me or Casey Brown. I always read my email, I might not reply to folks individually, but I will make sure that your suggestions are taken into account before we run the survey. I am going to gather all the problems that you have pointed to and ask our programmer to fix them.
  • We are going to delete the question which asks respondents when they started editing the survey. The Lime Survey interface does not allow programming of only the year or month/year.
  • We will be drawing data from user profile: edit history (total number of edits and year they started editing) for analysis.
  • This survey is a "pilot survey" in the sense that we are testing what are good questions to ask the community, gather baseline data about the community. We will use the survey as a prototype to streamline future surveys. Our plan is to do the survey every six months.
Thanks
Mani

Mani Pande, PhD
Head of Global Development Research
Wikimedia Foundation
Twitter: manipande
Skype: manipande

On 4/9/11 8:30 AM, Linar Khalitov wrote:
Hello!

English survey has question "
Did you make any anonymous edits in Wikipedia before you registered as a user or set up an account?".

I haven't found it in <http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_Editors_Survey_2011/Translation/en>, and that's why Russian version also doesn't have it (<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_Editors_Survey_2011/Translation/ru>). And in Russian version of survey we get empty question (only answers, no question) after question about languages.

Re: test the editor survey

Mani Pande
Hi Tobias,
We will launch the survey mid next week.

On 4/11/11 9:59 AM, church.of.emacs.ml wrote:
[...]

Hi Amir,
We are working on fixing this issue!!

On 4/9/11 8:56 AM, Amir E. Aharoni wrote:

> There's a huge problem with it: right-to-left directionality is
> applied to every paragraph and not to the whole page. This completely
> ruins the presentation for Arabic and Hebrew. Just look how the radio
> buttons are aligned to understand how bad it is.
>
> There are several smaller problems, but this problem absolutely must
> be fixed. In HTML it's very easy to do and i hope that LimeSurvey
> doesn't make it a lot harder.

> http://aharoni.wordpress.com
> "We're living in pieces,
>   I want to live in peace." - T. Moore
>

> 2011/4/9 Mani Pande<[hidden email]>:
>
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> As most of you are aware we are in the process of launching the editor
>> survey shortly. We are very excited as the survey has been programmed, and
>> is currently available in 22 languages. Thanks for making this possible. We
>> would not have had the survey in 22 languages without the help of all the
>> editors who volunteered their time to translate the survey.
>>
>> The survey is available in the following languages: English, Chinese
>> (traditional, Hong Kong), Chinese (simplified), Serbian, Russian,
>> Portuguese, Polish, Dutch, Macedonian, Italian, Hungarian, Croatian, Hebrew,
>> French, Finnish, Spanish, German, Danish, Welsh, Catalan, Bulgarian and
>> Arabic.
>>
>> Before we launch the survey, we would like to test the non-English surveys.
>> I am hoping that some of you would be willing to test the survey in your
>> native language. I want to test the survey for  language and timing. It will
>> be akin to taking the survey like a respondent, but responses from the test
>> will not be saved. We are only looking for your feedback to make the survey
>> better. You can click on the following link to test the survey:
>>
>> http://survey.wikimedia.org/index.php?sid=52769&lang=en
>>
>> I am hoping to test the survey on two important criteria:
>> 1. Timing: Please take the survey without any interruptions, and give us an
>> estimate of how long it took to complete the survey. In English, it takes
>> about 20 minutes to complete the survey.
>> 2. Language: Are the questions easy to understand? I would like to make sure
>> that the questions are valid in the local cultural context. Is the
>> translation (survey and interface) broken in any way?
>>
>> We will close the test on April 13, Wednesday at 12.00 PM (PST). Please send
>> your feedback to me at [hidden email] till Wednesday.
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>> Mani

Re: test the editor survey

Casey Brown-5
On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 12:59 PM, church.of.emacs.ml
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> There are quite some errors in the survey, most of them copy&paste
> errors. Here errors for German:
> * Q8a should be "Ein Handy", not "AEin Handy"

It looks like this has already been fixed.

> * D15b2 should be "Ist deine Spende von der Steuer absetzbar?", not "Wie
> oft hast du an die Wikimedia Foundation gespendet?"

I did "Ist deine Spende an die Wikimedia Foundation von der Steuer
absetzbar?" since that's what it is on the Meta workspace.  If that's
not right, please update it there and I'll sync it.

> * D19 "Nein, ich war nicht wahlberechtigt", not "Nein, ich war nicht
> wählbar"

You fixed this on Meta-Wiki <http://meta.wikimedia.org/?diff=2489958>,
so I copied it over when I updated it earlier.

> * D13 "Für die Schul- oder Universitätsrecherche, aber nicht, um zu
> zitieren", not "ür die Schul- oder Universitätsrecherche, aber nicht, um
> zu zitieren "

Done.

--
Casey Brown
Cbrown1023

Re: test the editor survey

Tobias
Thanks Casey,

On 04/12/2011 01:07 AM, Casey Brown wrote:
>> * D15b2 should be "Ist deine Spende von der Steuer absetzbar?", not "Wie
>> oft hast du an die Wikimedia Foundation gespendet?"
>
> I did "Ist deine Spende an die Wikimedia Foundation von der Steuer
> absetzbar?" since that's what it is on the Meta workspace.  If that's
> not right, please update it there and I'll sync it.

I think my generic version is better: donations directly to WMF are not
deductible, donations to Wikimedia Germany's "Fördergesellschaft" is.

Updated on Meta:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikipedia_Editors_Survey_2011%2FTranslation%2Fde&action=historysubmit&diff=2490675&oldid=2490274

Regards,
Tobias

Re: test the editor survey

Casey Brown-5
On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 3:34 AM, church.of.emacs.ml
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I think my generic version is better: donations directly to WMF are not
> deductible, donations to Wikimedia Germany's "Fördergesellschaft" is.
>
> Updated on Meta:
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikipedia_Editors_Survey_2011%2FTranslation%2Fde&action=historysubmit&diff=2490675&oldid=2490274

As you already know, done. :-)  You are right, I'm pretty sure that's
a better translation.  Thank you!

--
Casey Brown
Cbrown1023

Re: test the editor survey

vassia atanassova-2
Hello!

I can't understand from where the fourth option in  D5a. came. At least the translation "Няма отговор" was not done by me, looks like machine translation or translated within another context. I don't know from where it can be changed, but t has to read "Без отговор" or "Не желая да отговоря" instead.

I also think that instead of expecting users to type their nationality and country of residence - questions D7a. and D7b. Sorry if this is issues has already been discussed - I admit that I have quite a lot of work recently and I hardly follow up the whole discussion. So... in my opinion it's much wiser to add another dropdown menu for the users to choose from. When it comes to languages with non-Latin writing systems, things may get very complicated. Many of these users may prefer typing in Latin, rather than in their alphabet and use different styles and conventions.   For instance, I can think of at least 20 absolutely plausible strings that Bulgarian users may enter in D7a (capital letters ignored):

* българин   // Cyrillic, noun, male
* българка   // Cyrillic, noun, female
* българска  // Cyrillic, adjective (female, because the word "nationality" in Bulgarian is in female gender)
* bulgarin, balgarin, bylgarin, b@lgarin, b_lgarin  // Latin, noun, male
* bulgarka, balgarka, bylgarka, b@lgarka, b_lgarka  // Latin, noun, female
* bulgarska, balgarka, bylgarska, b@lgarska, b_lgarska  // Latin, adjective
* бг
* bg

This is because our letter "ъ" (like in "plum", "enough", "fir") doesn't have a unique representation. A dropdown menu will solve the problem.

Regards,
Vassia / user:Spiritia