Wikimedia Board Elections

Jimmy Wales
It is very very important that everyone vote.

I personally strongly strongly support the candidacies of Oscar and
Mindspillage.

Oscar is an amazing Dutch Wikipedian with strong support from that
community but who does not have broad exposure in the English
Wikipedia... I hope we can change that by introducing him to people.

Mindspillage is Mindspillage.  We all know and love her.  Give her some
votes.

There are other candidates, some good, but at least some of them are
entirely unacceptable because they have proven themselves repeatedly
unable to work well with the community.

Please, everyone, vote... and vote for people who you can know and trust
and care about as human beings.

I invite an open discussion here of the candidates.  This is your
community, speak openly of who you trust and why.

--Jimbo

Re: [Foundation-l] Wikimedia Board Elections

Gerard Meijssen-3
Jimmy Wales wrote:

> It is very very important that everyone vote.
>
> I personally strongly strongly support the candidacies of Oscar and
> Mindspillage.
>
> Oscar is an amazing Dutch Wikipedian with strong support from that
> community but who does not have broad exposure in the English
> Wikipedia... I hope we can change that by introducing him to people.
>
> Mindspillage is Mindspillage.  We all know and love her.  Give her some
> votes.
>
> There are other candidates, some good, but at least some of them are
> entirely unacceptable because they have proven themselves repeatedly
> unable to work well with the community.
>
> Please, everyone, vote... and vote for people who you can know and trust
> and care about as human beings.
>
> I invite an open discussion here of the candidates.  This is your
> community, speak openly of who you trust and why.
>
> --Jimbo
Hoi,
Where you assume that Oscar needs introduction because of him being
little known in the English Wikipedia, the same is true for
Mindspillage. She is not well known outside of the English Wikipedia.
You did both Oscar and Mindspillage a disservice by not properly
introducing either.

Where you state that some are "entirely unacceptable", you forget that
democracy is about the electorate choosing it's champions. It is said
that an electorate gets the representation that it deserves. It is for
the people that are elected and who are not elected to work together.
When this is entirely unacceptable, the notion of people being elected
and being able and allowed to make a difference in that role will not be
fulfilled. It will be a mockery of democracy.

When a person is to be chosen for the board of the Wikimedia Foundation,
it has been said that it is extremely important that the notion of the
WMF being about the English Wikipedia is a false notion. I am afraid
that you damaged Mindspillage by portraying her as an English Wikipedia
person. I think all candidates that focus on Wikipedia in their
statements disqualify themselves as the Wikimedia Foundation is NOT
about Wikipedia.

Thanks,
    GerardM

Re: Wikimedia Board Elections

Stephen Streater

On 16 Sep 2006, at 08:01, Jimmy Wales wrote:
> I invite an open discussion here of the candidates.  This is your
> community, speak openly of who you trust and why.

Well, I'll start off then.

One of the candidates I support is Kim Bruning.
He has been willing to honestly engage in a detailed
discussion about "free" on Wikipedia and look into my
suggestions on improving the encyclopaedia with an
open mind. (Some discussions, for example, on your
talk page.)

One of the candidates I do not support is Kelly Martin.
My first experiences of her was her call for my banning
on my RfA based on incorrect premise, followed by
failure to amend this call when given proof of her
misunderstanding. It must be said that my recent
experiences have been more positive though.

Gerard Meijssen wrote:
> Where you assume that Oscar needs introduction because of him being
> little known in the English Wikipedia, the same is true for
> Mindspillage. She is not well known outside of the English Wikipedia.
> You did both Oscar and Mindspillage a disservice by not properly
> introducing either.

Yes!  Well, I hope that others can do a better job than I can. :)

> Where you state that some are "entirely unacceptable", you forget that
> democracy is about the electorate choosing it's champions.

Not at all.  I meant that some of the candidates are entirely
unacceptable _from the point of view of the active Wikimedia community_.

> When a person is to be chosen for the board of the Wikimedia Foundation,
> it has been said that it is extremely important that the notion of the
> WMF being about the English Wikipedia is a false notion. I am afraid
> that you damaged Mindspillage by portraying her as an English Wikipedia
> person. I think all candidates that focus on Wikipedia in their
> statements disqualify themselves as the Wikimedia Foundation is NOT
> about Wikipedia.

No, I did not mean to imply that.  She is very very famous in the
English Wikipedia, but she is much more than that.  I do not think it
should count against her that she is an English Wikipedian. :)

--Jimbo

Re: Wikimedia Board Elections

Since you can tick as many as you like, I ticked 'yes' on any that I
knew to be reasonably clueful, and not just on en: Wikipedia.

You can go back and vote again if you change your mind before deadline.

- d.

Re: Wikimedia Board Elections

Angela-5
On 9/16/06, Jussi-Ville Heiskanen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> My personal strong feeling is that instead of choosing one appointed
> member, the board should appoint two, and appoint them as *permanent*,
> life members of the board . Daniel Mayer and Angela Beesley.

Please, no... I left for a reason. Well, about 10 reasons actually.
I'm very pleased I won't be doing this in a week's time. :)

On 9/16/06, Jimmy Wales <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I invite an open discussion here of the candidates.  This is your
> community, speak openly of who you trust and why.

My view on who should be elected is already public, but for those who
don't read meta, I believe Erik is the only candidate capable of
having any positive influence within the current Board. Later, when
that Board is expanded and the continuous internal conflicts are
resolved, I would agree that Mindspillage and Oscar may be good
candidates in future. I would also trust Steve Dunlop and Juan David
Ruiz in the role, but right now - Erik is what the Board and
Foundation needs.

It's very long, but well worth reading if you're serious about your
vote: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Eloquence/Platform_2006

I strongly support this platform and as I said at
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Eloquence/Endorse_2006 I believe
Erik is the best candidate to represent the community in the
development of the Wikimedia Foundation over the coming year. Erik has
shown a continued commitment, not only to Wikipedia but to the
Wikimedia Foundation as a whole. Erik's commitment to the sort of
openness that will ensure the community will have an influence in
ensuring the Foundation meets its goals makes me happy to endorse him
as the person to replace me on the Board.

Angela

--
Angela Beesley
http://a.nge.la

Re: Wikimedia Board Elections

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen
On 9/16/06, Stephen Streater <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 16 Sep 2006, at 08:01, Jimmy Wales wrote:
> > I invite an open discussion here of the candidates.  This is your
> > community, speak openly of who you trust and why.
>
> Well, I'll start off then.
>
> One of the candidates I support is Kim Bruning.
> He has been willing to honestly engage in a detailed
> discussion about "free" on Wikipedia and look into my
> suggestions on improving the encyclopaedia with an
> open mind. (Some discussions, for example, on your
> talk page.)

I very much endorse this view. Kim Bruning has ever been thoughtful. I
have never seen or heard him step wrong in any substantial matter.

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen, AKA. Cimon Avaro

Candidate for Board of Trustees of the Wikimedia Foundation in the
September 2006 elections.

On 16 Sep 2006, at 11:18, Angela wrote:

> My view on who should be elected is already public, but for those who
> don't read meta, I believe Erik is the only candidate capable of
> having any positive influence within the current Board. Later, when
> that Board is expanded and the continuous internal conflicts are
> resolved, I would agree that Mindspillage and Oscar may be good
> candidates in future. I would also trust Steve Dunlop and Juan David
> Ruiz in the role, but right now - Erik is what the Board and
> Foundation needs.
>
> It's very long, but well worth reading if you're serious about your
> vote: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Eloquence/Platform_2006
>
> I strongly support this platform and as I said at
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Eloquence/Endorse_2006 I believe
> Erik is the best candidate to represent the community in the
> development of the Wikimedia Foundation over the coming year. Erik has
> shown a continued commitment, not only to Wikipedia but to the
> Wikimedia Foundation as a whole. Erik's commitment to the sort of
> openness that will ensure the community will have an influence in
> ensuring the Foundation meets its goals makes me happy to endorse him
> as the person to replace me on the Board.

That's lucky - I had already voted for him :-)

On 16 Sep 2006, at 12:32, Jussi-Ville Heiskanen wrote:

> On 9/16/06, Stephen Streater <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On 16 Sep 2006, at 08:01, Jimmy Wales wrote:
>>> I invite an open discussion here of the candidates.  This is your
>>> community, speak openly of who you trust and why.
>>
>> Well, I'll start off then.
>>
>> One of the candidates I support is Kim Bruning.
>> He has been willing to honestly engage in a detailed
>> discussion about "free" on Wikipedia and look into my
>> suggestions on improving the encyclopaedia with an
>> open mind. (Some discussions, for example, on your
>> talk page.)
>>

> I very much endorse this view. Kim Bruning has ever been thoughtful. I
> have never seen or heard him step wrong in any substantial matter.

WP:BITE is pretty important, as it helps shape the
attitude of every new member. So you are on my yes list.

Another No from me is Linuxbeak - I don't know him except
to know he holds lots of senior posts, but he hasn't replied
to this query from August:
3ALinuxbeak&diff=422106&oldid=421209
which is not what I look for in someone who is planning to represent me.

Re: Wikimedia Board Elections

Charles Matthews
Jimmy Wales wrote

> Mindspillage is Mindspillage.  We all know and love her.

Is anyone making a book on this? I have assumed all along that Eloquence (Erik) was favourite, Mindspillage (Kat) was second favourite, and about 8-1 bar these two. Of course if I thought that was all there was to it, I wouldn't be standing.

I don't suppose Jimbo wants campaigning here on wiki-en. Worth pointing out something about the issue that has been raised of effectiveness. It's a committee (pas comme tous les autres, but a committee); and committees do a lot to level the playing field, between age and guile, and youth-beauty-and-enthusiasm.

Charles

Re: Wikimedia Board Elections

geni
On 9/16/06, [hidden email]
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Jimmy Wales wrote
>
> > Mindspillage is Mindspillage.  We all know and love her.
>
> Is anyone making a book on this? I have assumed all along that Eloquence (Erik) was >favourite, Mindspillage (Kat) was second favourite, and about 8-1 bar these two.

I don't know the constituencies as well as I would like and I don't
know exactly how people are using the voting system.

If they were using it as it was meant to be used then probably
Mindspillage. If it was used the way it was used last year then it
becomes harder to predict.

>From what I do know of the constituencies the en crowd is vital. If
you don't have their active support you are very unlikely to get very
far.

At this stage based on the limited data I have Mindspillage seems to
be the most likely winner.

--
geni

Re: [Wikipedia-l] Wikimedia Board Elections

sannse
Well, as we are talking about this... the person I feel is the best
candidate, and who I have just voted for, is Mindspillage.

She is someone I trust totally, to do the job well and to do it for
everyone in the community.  I have great respect for her, and for her
ability to work with others, effectively and with diplomacy.  This is a
big factor in my decision, the board does not need someone who will go
their own way regardless of the opinions of others.

Mindspillage is smart, hard working, thoughtful, and has a clear
understanding of the foundation and it's future.  I think she is the
ideal candidate.

Regards,

-- sannse

On 16 Sep 2006, at 13:53, [hidden email] wrote:

> Jimmy Wales wrote
>
>> Mindspillage is Mindspillage.  We all know and love her.
>
> Is anyone making a book on this? I have assumed all along that
> Eloquence (Erik) was favourite, Mindspillage (Kat) was second
> favourite, and about 8-1 bar these two. Of course if I thought that
> was all there was to it, I wouldn't be standing.
>
> I don't suppose Jimbo wants campaigning here on wiki-en. Worth
> pointing out something about the issue that has been raised of
> effectiveness. It's a committee (pas comme tous les autres, but a
> committee); and committees do a lot to level the playing field,
> between age and guile, and youth-beauty-and-enthusiasm.

You were on my yes list as well, partly because
I came across you an a little frequented talk page
of a common friend. In such a big place, it's quite
pleasant to potentially meet someone in Real Life.

On 16 Sep 2006, at 14:13, geni wrote:

> I don't know the constituencies as well as I would like and I don't
> know exactly how people are using the voting system.
>
> If they were using it as it was meant to be used then probably
> Mindspillage. If it was used the way it was used last year then it
> becomes harder to predict.

I was going to raise the question of why we are voting using this
strange system. STV gives much more interesting results and it
prevents one big block getting all the seats, and it also prevents
splitting a vote.

Re: Wikimedia Board Elections

geni
On 9/16/06, Stephen Streater <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I was going to raise the question of why we are voting using this
> strange system. STV gives much more interesting results and it
> prevents one big block getting all the seats, and it also prevents
> splitting a vote.

There is only a single seat. the system we are useing in theory should
elect the least least popular candidate. If everyone acts rationaly
(figure out who you can't stand then vorte for everyone else) then you
should should end up with a canaditate acceptable to the majority even
if they were no ones first choice. Plus it is simple to follow.

--
geni

Re: Wikimedia Board Elections

Charles Matthews
Stephen Streater wrote

> I was going to raise the question of why we are voting using this
> strange system.

I don't know, but I suppose allowing the maximum of 'yes' votes could be seen as good for the social glue. The ArbCom elections were on another 'strange' system, maximizing the chance for cattiness and worse; and therefore allowing people on enWP to blow off steam. I can quite see why that is not be applied here.

Charles

Re: Wikimedia Board Elections

Fl Celloguy
For those who are unaware, the Wikipedia Signpost ([[WP:SIGN]]) interviewed all of the candidates a few weeks ago, and all of the 17 candidates (with the exception of Linuxbeak) replied. The interviews were published on August 28 and can be found in the Signpost's archives. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedia_Signpost/2006-08-28/Board_candidates) Each candidate was asked a series of questions pertaining to their candidacy and views, and also given a chance to mention anything else that they wished to.I highly and strongly encourage all voters to read through this page prior to voting, or if you've voted already, to review each candidate's replies to those questions.(And I do apologize for the shameless self-promotion... ;-) )FlcelloguyFrom Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Re: Wikimedia Board Elections

Erik Moeller-3
On 9/16/06, Jimmy Wales <[hidden email]> wrote:
> It is very very important that everyone vote.

Yes, absolutely.

> I personally strongly strongly support the candidacies of Oscar and
> Mindspillage.

I think that's a very important, and valuable, statement. I am on the
record as stating that the majority of any future expanded Board
should be elected by the community (possibly through a membership
model, but not necessarily so). However, in that model, sitting Board
members can provide balance and reason by endorsing particular
candidacies. Angela has endorsed me, and I think it is vital for you,
Anthere and Michael to also share your views on the candidates.

I don't think a public, cross-posted mailing list thread is
necessarily the best way to do so, as it might turn into an exchange
of negativity. In the future, perhaps each candidate statement should
have a "slot" for endorsements. That way, Board members and others
could easily make their opinions known.

I for one welcome and encourage questions and comments about my candidacy at:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Eloquence/Platform_2006

For those who do not wish to vote for me, I support the candidacies of
Arnomane, Mindspillage, AaronSw, and UninvitedCompany. I do not
support Oscar at this point in time; even though he is a very pleasant
and experienced person, I think his skills are primarily in the area
of diplomacy and negotiation, and will be more useful when the Board
is larger and the structures of the Foundation have stabilized.
However, I will probably support him for an expanded Board.

The voting system used in this election, approval voting, allows
anyone to vote for as many candidates as they want, and I would be
pleased to receive the support of you, the reader. I would also be
happy if one of the other candidates listed above won, as I think that
each one of them will do a great job at representing and helping to
run and oversee the Foundation in this critical period of its history.
--
Peace & Love,
Erik

On 16 Sep 2006, at 18:05, Erik Moeller wrote:

> On 9/16/06, Jimmy Wales <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> It is very very important that everyone vote.
>
> Yes, absolutely.
>
>> I personally strongly strongly support the candidacies of Oscar and
>> Mindspillage.
>
> I think that's a very important, and valuable, statement. I am on the
> record as stating that the majority of any future expanded Board
> should be elected by the community (possibly through a membership
> model, but not necessarily so). However, in that model, sitting Board
> members can provide balance and reason by endorsing particular
> candidacies. Angela has endorsed me, and I think it is vital for you,
> Anthere and Michael to also share your views on the candidates.
>
> I don't think a public, cross-posted mailing list thread is
> necessarily the best way to do so, as it might turn into an exchange
> of negativity. In the future, perhaps each candidate statement should
> have a "slot" for endorsements. That way, Board members and others
> could easily make their opinions known.

I would also like to see a list of endorsements
in the statements.

I think now (by chance perhaps) all the people
I have voted for have posted here. I'm sure there
are some excellent candidates amongst the others,
but I have not had experience of them. Perhaps
with more experience here I will know them,
but in the mean time, I will constrain my votes
to the people I like and know.

Re: Wikimedia Board Elections

David Mestel
If I may add my personal opinion, I do not think that it was
appropriate for Jimmy to declare public support for any candidate.
Here's why: In some sense, Jimmy's role is to be an impartial
adjudicator, facilitating to a great extent the views of the
community, although obviously also keeping the greater good of
Wikipedia in mind.  In some ways, indeed, one might draw an analogy
between this and a hypothetical situation where the monarch encouraged
the electorate to vote one way or the other.  Just my $0.02.
--
David