Wikimedia CH approved by Wikimedia Foundation board

Wikimedia CH approved by Wikimedia Foundation board

Delphine Ménard -2
Hi all,

just a note to confirm that following the advice of the Chapters
committee, the Board of Trustees of the Wikimedia Foundation has
approved the creation of Wikimedia CH.

http://ch.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Bylaws/De&oldid=2080
English translation here:
http://ch.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Bylaws/En&oldid=2077

were the version of the bylaws that were reviewed .

As long as the changes likely to be made in paragraph 10-3 do not
concern the Wikimedia Foundation, there will be no further reviewing of
the bylaws, you can consider the Chapters committee's advice and the
board's decision as final.

Congratulations, and get going people ;-)

Delphine

Re: [Chapters] Wikimedia CH approved by Wikimedia Foundation board

Nathan Carter
Well done everybody

Delphine Ménard wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>just a note to confirm that following the advice of the Chapters
>committee, the Board of Trustees of the Wikimedia Foundation has
>approved the creation of Wikimedia CH.
>
>http://ch.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Bylaws/De&oldid=2080
>English translation here:
>http://ch.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Bylaws/En&oldid=2077
>
>were the version of the bylaws that were reviewed .
>
>As long as the changes likely to be made in paragraph 10-3 do not
>concern the Wikimedia Foundation, there will be no further reviewing of
>the bylaws, you can consider the Chapters committee's advice and the
>board's decision as final.
>
>Congratulations, and get going people ;-)
>
>Delphine

Re: Wikimedia CH approved by Wikimedia Foundation board

Michael Bimmler
Thanks very very much for your reviewing and your statement. We really
appreciate this!
We'll now probably be able to advance with the foundation very quickly.
BTW: There is still an issue called "Trademark Agreement" pending...
IANAL, but I thought we couldn't use the word "Wikimedia" and our nice
logo before we have signed this contract. So signing this contract
would actually need to happen immediately after the formal
establishment and after the election of the board (someone has to sign
it...). So my question: Is this agreement already ready or could you
tell us when it will be ready so that we know whether we have to
postpone foundation until this contract is "signable"?
Regards
Michael

On 4/15/06, Delphine Ménard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> just a note to confirm that following the advice of the Chapters
> committee, the Board of Trustees of the Wikimedia Foundation has
> approved the creation of Wikimedia CH.
>
> http://ch.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Bylaws/De&oldid=2080
> English translation here:
> http://ch.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Bylaws/En&oldid=2077
>
> were the version of the bylaws that were reviewed .
>
> As long as the changes likely to be made in paragraph 10-3 do not
> concern the Wikimedia Foundation, there will be no further reviewing of
> the bylaws, you can consider the Chapters committee's advice and the
> board's decision as final.
>
> Congratulations, and get going people ;-)
>
> Delphine

Regards
Michael Bimmler

Re: Wikimedia CH approved by Wikimedia Foundation board

Arne Klempert-2
On 4/15/06, Michael Bimmler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks very very much for your reviewing and your statement. We really
> appreciate this!
> We'll now probably be able to advance with the foundation very quickly.
> BTW: There is still an issue called "Trademark Agreement" pending...
> IANAL, but I thought we couldn't use the word "Wikimedia" and our nice
> logo before we have signed this contract. So signing this contract
> would actually need to happen immediately after the formal
> establishment and after the election of the board (someone has to sign
> it...). So my question: Is this agreement already ready or could you
> tell us when it will be ready so that we know whether we have to
> postpone foundation until this contract is "signable"?

I think we're not in a hurry here. Due to the fact that (afaik) only
two chapters have written logo/trademark agreements yet and there is
no standard agreement in place, you shouldn't be too afraid of using
the name and the logo for your own purposes. The board approval of the
bylaws implies (at least morally) the right to act under the name
"Wikimedia CH" and use the logo, according to the visual identity
guidelines [1].

Cheers,
Arne

[1] http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Wikimedia_visual_identity_guidelines

On 4/15/06, Arne Klempert <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 4/15/06, Michael Bimmler <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Thanks very very much for your reviewing and your statement. We really
> > appreciate this!
> > We'll now probably be able to advance with the foundation very quickly.
> > BTW: There is still an issue called "Trademark Agreement" pending...
> > IANAL, but I thought we couldn't use the word "Wikimedia" and our nice
> > logo before we have signed this contract. So signing this contract
> > would actually need to happen immediately after the formal
> > establishment and after the election of the board (someone has to sign
> > it...). So my question: Is this agreement already ready or could you
> > tell us when it will be ready so that we know whether we have to
> > postpone foundation until this contract is "signable"?
>
> I think we're not in a hurry here. Due to the fact that (afaik) only
> two chapters have written logo/trademark agreements yet and there is
> no standard agreement in place, you shouldn't be too afraid of using
> the name and the logo for your own purposes. The board approval of the
> bylaws implies (at least morally) the right to act under the name
> "Wikimedia CH" and use the logo, according to the visual identity
> guidelines [1].

Well, if you promise, that you won't sue us, we're fine with that ;-)
Michael