Wikimedia Commons Android app update - new feature

Wikimedia Commons Android app update - new feature

Josephine Lim
Hi all,

I've been working on improving the Wikimedia Commons Android app[1] for the past couple of months. In addition to several bugfixes and minor improvements, we've just rolled out a new feature - a list of nearby places that need photos!

This feature pulls locations without photos from a file maintained by the Wiki Needs Pictures[2] project and arranges them in order of proximity to the user's position. Tapping on an item in the list brings the user to their phone's map app with the coordinates pinned. To access this feature, select 'Nearby' (or the icon of a guy with a flag) from the action bar (menu) of the app.

The current implementation is a very basic/bare-bones version, as we want to gauge users' response and feedback before working on any enhancements. So please do try it out, see how it works for you, and feel free to report any bugs or suggest any enhancements on our Google Group forums[3] or GitHub issues page[4].

Please note that you will need to allow the app to access your location in order for this feature to work. Also, as the list is rather large, initial loading might take a while.

Thanks!