Cary Bass-3
I changed
http://wikimediafoundation.org/w/index.php?title=MediaWiki%3ASitesupport&diff=22362&oldid=9935.
This will need to be reflected for all languages on the website.

--

Cary Bass
Volunteer Coordinator

Re: Wikimedia Foundation

Juan David Ruiz
On 10/2/07, Cary Bass <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I changed
> http://wikimediafoundation.org/w/index.php?title=MediaWiki%3ASitesupport&diff=22362&oldid=9935.
> This will need to be reflected for all languages on the website.

MediaWiki messages can be edited only by sysops.

http://wikimediafoundation.org/w/index.php?title=Special%3AListusers&username=&group=sysop&limit=50

In spanish, "donate" can be translated as "dona", but I feel it's not
very used, I prefer "realiza una donación", but may be long for a
message.

Drini?

--
Juan David Ruiz

Re: Wikimedia Foundation

KIZU Naoko
On 10/2/07, Juan David Ruiz <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 10/2/07, Cary Bass <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I changed
> > http://wikimediafoundation.org/w/index.php?title=MediaWiki%3ASitesupport&diff=22362&oldid=9935.
> > This will need to be reflected for all languages on the website.
>
> MediaWiki messages can be edited only by sysops.

Besides that,
* I'm not sure there was any particular localization attempt for
MediaWiki:Supportus on the foundation website. Maybe it relies on
default settings.
* I am not sure either if it is wise to reflect the change for all
languages on the website: for example, in case of Japanese: a
superative may sounds too much offensive. It doesn't sound begging,
just demanding.   I would like to know what you mean here with "need
to be reflected".
* "Be reflected for all languages" is ideal but tough request. Around
30 languages are used, if we include  Fundraising pages themselves. I
am not sure if it makes a sense the toolbox begs when the potential
donor has already found the form for donation though. Could you please
refine your requests, Cary?
** Other concerns ... about fundarising pages.
    There are around 30 fundraising pages, and they are not in a same
style. Due to the last year renewal, some were changed, some were not.
And I think I heard there would be another renewal ... will it happen?
If so, I think it isn't nice for translators to be asked to catch the
trend now (just before it'll be cast away again). If not ... we need
to call for translators to catch up changes.
     Also I would like to note there were requests to retrieve
"monthly donation" button via PayPal. It was removed in the last year
renewal. I have no idea how it can be back, though.

Sabine, Cary, is there any update about fundarising page re-design?

> http://wikimediafoundation.org/w/index.php?title=Special%3AListusers&username=&group=sysop&limit=50
>
> In spanish, "donate" can be translated as "dona", but I feel it's not
> very used, I prefer "realiza una donación", but may be long for a
> message.
>
> Drini?
>
> --
> Juan David Ruiz

KIZU Naoko
  Wikiquote: http://wikiquote.org
  * habent enim emolumentum in labore suo *

Re: Wikimedia Foundation

Cary Bass-3
Aphaia wrote:

> On 10/2/07, Juan David Ruiz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 10/2/07, Cary Bass <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> I changed
>>> http://wikimediafoundation.org/w/index.php?title=MediaWiki%3ASitesupport&diff=22362&oldid=9935.
>>> This will need to be reflected for all languages on the website.
>>>
>> MediaWiki messages can be edited only by sysops.
>>

> Besides that,
> * I'm not sure there was any particular localization attempt for
> MediaWiki:Supportus on the foundation website. Maybe it relies on
> default settings.

It's all under MediaWiki:Sitesupport, so it has been localised.

> * I am not sure either if it is wise to reflect the change for all
> languages on the website: for example, in case of Japanese: a
> superative may sounds too much offensive. It doesn't sound begging,
> just demanding.   I would like to know what you mean here with "need
> to be reflected".
> * "Be reflected for all languages" is ideal but tough request. Around
> 30 languages are used, if we include  Fundraising pages themselves. I
> am not sure if it makes a sense the toolbox begs when the potential
> donor has already found the form for donation though. Could you please
> refine your requests, Cary?

Thoughtful consideration, but no.  I was ambiguous in my request
precisely because of the varying needs of different languages.  If a
superlative is not acceptable in Japanese, then perhaps an alternative
can be made, or keep it the same.  I believe my request adequately
covered this.

> ** Other concerns ... about fundarising pages.
>     There are around 30 fundraising pages, and they are not in a same
> style. Due to the last year renewal, some were changed, some were not.
> And I think I heard there would be another renewal ... will it happen?
> If so, I think it isn't nice for translators to be asked to catch the
> trend now (just before it'll be cast away again). If not ... we need
> to call for translators to catch up changes.
>
>      Also I would like to note there were requests to retrieve
> "monthly donation" button via PayPal. It was removed in the last year
> renewal. I have no idea how it can be back, though.
>
> Sabine, Cary, is there any update about fundarising page re-design?

Regarding the Fundraising page redesign: That's what this request was
all about.  It is Item 1 of the fundraising page redesign.  The rest
will follow.

>> http://wikimediafoundation.org/w/index.php?title=Special%3AListusers&username=&group=sysop&limit=50
>>
>> In spanish, "donate" can be translated as "dona", but I feel it's not
>> very used, I prefer "realiza una donación", but may be long for a
>> message.
>>
>> Drini?
>>
>> --
>> Juan David Ruiz

Cary Bass
Volunteer Coordinator
Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.
Phone: 727.231.0101
Fax: 727.258.0207
E-Mail: [hidden email]

Re: Wikimedia Foundation

Dominic-21
Juan David Ruiz wrote:

> On 10/2/07, Cary Bass <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I changed
>> http://wikimediafoundation.org/w/index.php?title=MediaWiki%3ASitesupport&diff=22362&oldid=9935.
>> This will need to be reflected for all languages on the website.
>>

> MediaWiki messages can be edited only by sysops.
>
> http://wikimediafoundation.org/w/index.php?title=Special%3AListusers&username=&group=sysop&limit=50
>
> In spanish, "donate" can be translated as "dona", but I feel it's not
> very used, I prefer "realiza una donación", but may be long for a
> message.
>
> Drini?

Well, we have ambiguity here because in English the the command
("donate"), the infinitive ("to donate"), the simple present ("they
donate"), etc. all have the same form. Spanish verb forms are much
clearer, but of course, that means there are a lot more of them. Here, I
would interpret the English as an infinitive anyway (as in, "to donate,
click here"), but it doesn't matter anyway, because I think this works
fine in Spanish, where the infinitive is can also be used for commands,
especially online. Consider "hacer clic" and the signs you see reading
"no fumar." </Wiktionary editor>

Anyway, simply "donar" would work, I think.

Dominic

Re: Wikimedia Foundation

KIZU Naoko
Later I talked with Cary, and got some pieces of information:
* When he posted previous ones, he didn't aware localized system
messages would only work for registgered users.
* The topic is limited to foundation website: not for all other wikimedia wiki.
* And as for fundraising pages, it will be re-designed.

Most of wmf wiki visitors are anonymous. They won't see the localized
system message. Never. (There is a trick to solve it, [see wm2007
wiki], but it seems not to be the way to go). Since it is concerned
with messages almost none, I failed to see which sense it makes.

However, it will be a good thing to review Sitesupport setting on your
language & active wikis. The setting is "Donations" by default and
most of l10ns may be literal translations of this word.