Wikimedia Hackathon 2014

Patrick Kenel
Dear all,

Last weekend, Wikimedia CH has been the host of the annual Wikimedia Hackathon at the Youth Hostel in Zurich. About 160 developers from more than 30 countries worked for nearly three days on improving the MediaWiki interface, building future improvements for Wikipedia such as map support, and improving bug reporting and management. Bringing highly skilled people together in one place ensured that a lot of very good work was done. Even though I've visited the event only temporarily, I was pleased to have a conversion with a participant from Japan or to learn more about OpenStreetMap. Here's a blog post with a summary of the hackathon by an experienced member of the Wikimedia tech community: http://blog.wikimedia.org/2014/05/10/tech-wizards-behind-wikipedia-meet-in-zurich-for-hackathon/

One highlight of the hackathon was Lila Tretikov's visit. As of June 1st, Lila will be the new Executive Director at the Wikimedia Foundation in San Francisco, replacing Sue Gardner. This was her very first direct contact with the Community. She gave a quick talk and a Q&A, which you can watch in this video:

The whole event went very smoothly, and the feedback so far has been excellent. On behalf of the Board, I would like to thank again everyone involved (staff and volunteers), and in particular Manuel Schneider, for a tremendous work.

Best regards,

Patrick Kenel, President
~~~~
www.wikimedia.ch

------
File:Wikimedia Hackathon WMCH A900 231.jpg, Author: Christian Meixner, CC-BY 3.0

Wikimedia_Hackathon_WMCH_A900_231.jpg (157K) Download Attachment

Re: Wikimedia Hackathon 2014

Manuel Schneider-3
Hi,

I may add the blog post by Wikimedia Deutschland who has sent a
developers crew to the Hackathon:

http://blog.wikimedia.de/2014/05/13/thank-you-zurich-merci-vielmal-zueri-wikimedia-hackathon-zuerich-2014/

Thanks for all who participated and those who wrote posts!

/Manuel
Lausanne, +41 (21) 34066-22 - www.wikimedia.ch

Re: Wikimedia Hackathon 2014

Yann Heurtaux

Thanks for all this feedback and the URLs. Unfortunately was abroad for pro reasons, would have loved to live report :)

-Y.

Tapé sur un téléphone, entre un bus et un train. Merci de votre indulgence pour les coquilles.