Wikimedia India Chapter Anniversary

Sudhanwa Jogalekar
Dear Wikipedians,

The Wikimedia India Chapter was registered with the Karnataka
Registrar of societies on 3 January 2011. We celebrate our second
anniversary today :)

Initially, the Chapter Executive Committee consisted of seven founder
members. Over time, six of these founder members departed from the
board after each of them made significant and invaluable
contributions. The Executive Committee now bids goodbye to the seventh
founder member, Anirudh Singh Bhati. The Executive Committee expresses
its deep gratitude towards Anirudh for his wonderful contributions
that have helped build the chapter. He becomes the first person to
complete an entire term on the Executive Committee of Wikimedia India.
We wish him well in all his future ambitions and hope he remains
connected to the movement in some form.

The Executive Committee has unanimously resolved to fill the vacancy
created by Anirudh’s departure by co-opting Bala Jeyaraman. Bala is a
distinguished Wikipedian who has been active on English and Tamil
Wikipedia’s, being an administrator on the latter and was one of the
organisers of the recently held Tamil Wiki Photo Contest. He will hold
office until the next general body meeting which would need to approve
his appointment.

Another important step being taken by the chapter is our first
fundraising appeal, which will be announced shortly. A lot of people
may ask why the chapter needs a fundraiser when it has access to WMF
funding. The answer is, we are still ineligible for FDC (we hope to be
eligible for the second round of funding in 2013) and would need to
rely on grants, spending of which is restricted by the WMF. Since
formation, the chapter has relied heavily on the Executive Committee
to take on the burden of running the show. In an ideal world, the EC
would like to take on the role of guiding the chapter rather than
actually be responsible for operations after two years of
incorporation, which should be best done by professionals rather than
volunteers in their spare time.

The chapter has hired an employee (Sowmyan Trimurti, our Executive
Manager) as well as plans to lease its own office premises in
Bangalore. For this, we will soon be sharing a plan and will request
the community for suggestions on the plan. We will also need the help
of those volunteers who are in a position to support us. It could be a
small individual donation or in the form of a corporate donation from
an institution. A small token of support from you could go a long way
in helping us achieving our goals of furthering the movement in India.

Apart from this, we encourage the community at large to engage with
the chapter and request our support wherever necessary without
hesitation for community activities. The chapter has been formed for
the benefit of the community and we will always try our best to live
up to the community’s expectations.

Warm regards,
-Sudhanwa Jogalekar
President, WMIN

!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!
www.wikimedia.in

Re: [WMIN-Members] Wikimedia India Chapter Anniversary

Anirudh S. Bhati
Thank you for posting this, Sudhanwa.  It was an absolute pleasure
serving through my term with the WMIN EC.  I wish the new board best
of luck with their efforts towards promoting Wikimedia in India and
supporting the communities of volunteers.

Kind Regards,

Anirudh

On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 12:36 AM, Sudhanwa Jogalekar
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> of those volunteers who are in a position to support us. It could be a
> small individual donation or in the form of a corporate donation from
> an institution. A small token of support from you could go a long way
> in helping us achieving our goals of furthering the movement in India.
>
> Apart from this, we encourage the community at large to engage with
> the chapter and request our support wherever necessary without
> hesitation for community activities. The chapter has been formed for
> the benefit of the community and we will always try our best to live
> up to the community’s expectations.
>
> Warm regards,
> -Sudhanwa Jogalekar
> President, WMIN
>

> !~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!
> www.wikimedia.in

Re: [WMIN-Members] Wikimedia India Chapter Anniversary

Bala Jeyaraman
Thank you Sudhanwa. I hope I will do justice to the role and keep up the good work of my predecessors.

regards
Bala

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]
> of those volunteers who are in a position to support us. It could be a
> small individual donation or in the form of a corporate donation from
> an institution. A small token of support from you could go a long way
> in helping us achieving our goals of furthering the movement in India.
>
> Apart from this, we encourage the community at large to engage with
> the chapter and request our support wherever necessary without
> hesitation for community activities. The chapter has been formed for
> the benefit of the community and we will always try our best to live
> up to the community’s expectations.
>
> Warm regards,
> -Sudhanwa Jogalekar
> President, WMIN
>

> !~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!
> www.wikimedia.in

Re: [WMIN-Members] Wikimedia India Chapter Anniversary

Arjuna Rao Chavala-2
Hi  Sudhanwa,

Thanks for the update.  I too  thank  Anirudh for his contributions and wish him well. I  congratulate Bala on joining the EC and  wish the all new EC(meaning non founder member EC) all the best in nurturing Chapter.

Cheers
Arjuna

2013/1/3 Sudhanwa Jogalekar <[hidden email]>
[...]

BalaSundaraRaman
Thank you for your contributions to the chapter, Anirudh. And welcome Bala. I'm sure you'll add tremendous value to the EC. :)

- Sundar

"That language is an instrument of human reason, and not merely a medium for the expression of thought, is a truth generally admitted."

Re: [WMIN-Members] Wikimedia India Chapter Anniversary

CherianTinu Abraham
This is great news.

Congrats to Bala.

Best wishes to the chapter :)

-T

On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 11:06 PM, Sudhanwa Jogalekar <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Arun Ramarathnam
Thanks Anirudh for all your contributions to the chapter in its formative years. More specifically your inputs on legal matters was very helpful. Bringing in the pro bono legal counsel was something you made happen.

regards
Arun

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]
> of those volunteers who are in a position to support us. It could be a
> small individual donation or in the form of a corporate donation from
> an institution. A small token of support from you could go a long way
> in helping us achieving our goals of furthering the movement in India.
>
> Apart from this, we encourage the community at large to engage with
> the chapter and request our support wherever necessary without
> hesitation for community activities. The chapter has been formed for
> the benefit of the community and we will always try our best to live
> up to the community’s expectations.
>
> Warm regards,
> -Sudhanwa Jogalekar
> President, WMIN
>

> !~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!
> www.wikimedia.in

Re: [WMIN-Members] Wikimedia India Chapter Anniversary

Dear Sudhanwa,

Thanks for the update. And best wishes to Bala in his new role.

A few requests and queries come to my mind:

Can we have regular IRC chats for members and community to engage with the chapter EC?  It would be a great help for members and community to offer support as needed. This request has been made earlier as well.
Could the chapter please publish project plans to the members and community.
What are roles of individual EC members. Will they be sharing the initiatives they would be supporting? What help do they need?
Are the SIGs leads continuing in their roles  or are there changes?
Are the plans for a WCI this year?
How is the new staff member being leveraged? Are there specific initiatives they would be supporting besides regular operations?

You had mentioned that you would be looking for endorsement of the co-opted EC member in the next AGM. If I understand the bye-laws right, co-opting would be applicable only till the next AGM. During the next AGM all vacancies would need to be filled (which includes co-opted positions).

Thanks and regards
Arun

[...]

Re: [Wikimedia-IN-PUN] Wikimedia India Chapter Anniversary

Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay-2
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> The answer is, we are still ineligible for FDC (we hope to be
> eligible for the second round of funding in 2013)

I may have missed out on a previous explanation of this - what is the
reason for the ineligibility ?

--
sankarshan mukhopadhyay
<https://twitter.com/#!/sankarshan>

Re: [Wikimedia-IN-PUN] Wikimedia India Chapter Anniversary

Vickram Crishna-2

The period for clearance of permission to receive funds from abroad in the form of donation or grant (as against earnings) is unknowable, but has been getting extensive over the past few years since the rule was instituted. Afaik, there is no obvious reason why it should take long or be considered doubtful.

--
Vickram
Fool On The Hill