Wikimedia India needs your support: Our First Fundraiser

Wikimedia India needs your support: Our First Fundraiser

Karthik Nadar-2
Dear all,

On the second anniversary of the Chapter, we made public our intention of running our first fundraiser. Going ahead with the first phase of this plan, we will be running a central site notice on the chapter website for a period of two calendar months starting 1 February, 2013. In the second phase of this plan, we aim to approach high networth individuals and corporates in the month of March 2013. This will be done using personal and professional networks of current and past EC members, staff, volunteers among others.

Suggestions, help and support from the community on what we can do to ensure success of this fundraiser are welcome. Every drop counts :)

Donations can be made by Online Bank Transfer (NEFT/RTGS) or by sending us a Cheque through snail mail. We are unable to accept card payments at this current time. Link to the donation page on our website: http://wiki.wikimedia.in/Donate

Thanking you,
Executive Committee,
Wikimedia India.

*Reasoning* (From our public statement on 4 January, 2013)

A lot of people may ask why the chapter needs a fundraiser when it has access to WMF funding. The answer is, we are still ineligible for FDC of WMF (we hope to be eligible for the second round of funding in 2013) and would need to rely on grants, spending of which is restricted by the WMF. Since formation, the chapter has relied heavily on the Executive Committee to take on the burden of running the show. In an ideal world, the EC would like to take on the role of guiding the chapter rather than actually be responsible for operations after two years of incorporation, which should be best done by professionals rather than volunteers in their spare time.

The chapter has hired an employee (Sowmyan Tirumurti, our Executive Manager) as well as plans to lease its own office premises in Bangalore. We will need the help of those volunteers who are in a position to support us. It could be a small individual donation or in the form of a corporate donation from an institution. A small token of support from you could go a long way in helping us achieving our goals of furthering the movement in India.

--
Thanks and regards,
Karthik Nadar,

Re: Wikimedia India needs your support: Our First Fundraiser

Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay-2
On Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 9:19 PM, Karthik Nadar <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Donations can be made by Online Bank Transfer (NEFT/RTGS) or by sending us a
> Cheque through snail mail. We are unable to accept card payments at this
> current time. Link to the donation page on our website:
> http://wiki.wikimedia.in/Donate

The page at <http://wiki.wikimedia.in/Donate> has a banner with the
text "Click here to Donate Now!" which links back to
<http://wiki.wikimedia.in/Donate>

That's a bid odd.

--
sankarshan mukhopadhyay
<https://twitter.com/#!/sankarshan>

Re: Wikimedia India needs your support: Our First Fundraiser

Srikanth Ramakrishnan-3
Hi Sankarshan, that banner is a sitewide banner that is present on all pages.

On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 10:21 AM, sankarshan <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 9:19 PM, Karthik Nadar <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Donations can be made by Online Bank Transfer (NEFT/RTGS) or by sending us a
> Cheque through snail mail. We are unable to accept card payments at this
> current time. Link to the donation page on our website:
> http://wiki.wikimedia.in/Donate

The page at <http://wiki.wikimedia.in/Donate> has a banner with the
text "Click here to Donate Now!" which links back to
<http://wiki.wikimedia.in/Donate>

That's a bid odd.

--
sankarshan mukhopadhyay
<https://twitter.com/#!/sankarshan>

Srikanth Ramakrishnan
Member of the Executive Committee
Wikimedia Chapter [India]

Re: Wikimedia India needs your support: Our First Fundraiser

Abhishek Suryawanshi

Nice initiative.

It would be great to have 'in-kind' donations option along with monetary option.

i.e If someone wants to donate projector,room,laptop etc in-kind, It may be easy for donor also as well as Chapter to receive it. This will also make sure Tax money is saved from both ends.

Just two cents from my side.

Regards,
Abhishek Suryawanshi,
On Behalf of Wikipedia Club Pune

Re: Wikimedia India needs your support: Our First Fundraiser

Srikanth Ramakrishnan-3
Hello Abhishek, thank you for your suggestion. The 'in-kind' donation
idea, while good actually has a small glitch. Anything that comes to
the Chapter would be considered an asset and be kept in a certain
place physically. Moving it out to a different place becomes a
problem. Anyway, thanks for the suggestion. Do spread the word about
our fundraiser though.

Donate to the Wikimedia India Chapter today<http://wiki.wikimedia.in/Donations>

Re: Wikimedia India needs your support: Our First Fundraiser

Abhishek Suryawanshi
Dear Srikanth,

It different than asset concept. Its about making process cashless.
For example, Chapter needs xyz amount to manage Travel (For Board meetings,attending events etc),
This can be zeroed down by having 'in-kind' Airline or Travel/Hospitality partner.
i.e instead of providing money to they will offer service/tickets directly, and this gives them tax exemption under
Corporate Social Responsibility (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution_of_corporate_social_responsibility_in_India)
By providing cashless service - In return they get branding and exemption from Government of India.
For company - its easy to provide service as compared to money, If they provide money - then they have to pay tax.

So could you please provide Chapters requirements for next one year? So we can find donors easily?
What are Chapters plans after receiving donations? If this is crystal clear - then its easy to attract more
corporates and individuals to donate.
This is real glitch - There is separate WMF Fundraiser every year, where Jimmy Wales makes appeal for donation.
People might get confused, Many Indians donate directly to WMF. Is it fair to ask them to do same again?
From third person, it looks like - WMF runs donation campaign, then asks regional chapters to raise money
on their own instead of supporting them. Is there any kind of rejection from WMF to support Chapter activities
financially? or Chapters proposed budget is beyond WMF approval?

Already we have few volunteers to spread Wikimedia mission in India.
Instead of spending volunteers precious energy on raising donations, Its better to devote same energy to fulfill Wikimedia mission?

Just curiosity question : Before announcement - Was there any public discussion about having 'separate' donation campaign?
Who proposed and approved idea?

Clarification about Chapters expected budget and 'exact' financial requirements will enable easy donations.

Regards,
Abhishek Suryawanshi,
On Behalf of Wikipedia Club Pune

On 2/7/13, Srikanth Ramakrishnan < [hidden email] > wrote :

Hello Abhishek, thank you for your suggestion. The 'in-kind' donation idea, while good actually has a small glitch. Anything that comes to the Chapter would be considered an asset and be kept in a certain place physically. Moving it out to a different place becomes a problem. Anyway, thanks for the suggestion. Do spread the word about our fundraiser though. On 2/7/13, Abhishek Suryawanshi <i.abhishek.suryawanshi at gmail.com> wrote: > Nice initiative. > > It would be great to have 'in-kind' donations option along with monetary > option. > > i.e If someone wants to donate projector,room,laptop etc in-kind, It may be > easy for donor also as well as Chapter to receive it. This will also make > sure Tax money is saved from both ends. > > > > Just two cents from my side. > > > > Regards, > Abhishek Suryawanshi, > > On Behalf of Wikipedia Club Pune > > > > > > > > ---------- Forwarded message ---------- > From: Karthik Nadar <karthikndr at wikimedia.in> > To: Wikimedia India Community list <wikimediaindia-l at lists.wikimedia.org> > Cc: > Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2013 21:19:57 +0530 > Subject: [Wikimediaindia-l] Wikimedia India needs your support: Our First > Fundraiser > *Dear all,* > * > * > *On the second anniversary of the Chapter, we made public our intention of > running our first fundraiser. Going ahead with the first phase of this > plan, we will be running a central site notice on the chapter website for a > period of two calendar months starting 1 February, 2013. In the second > phase of this plan, we aim to approach high networth individuals and > corporates in the month of March 2013. This will be done using personal and > professional networks of current and past EC members, staff, volunteers > among others.* > * > Suggestions, help and support from the community on what we can do to > ensure success of this fundraiser are welcome. Every drop counts :) > > Donations can be made by Online Bank Transfer (NEFT/RTGS) or by sending us > a Cheque through snail mail. We are unable to accept card payments at this > current time. Link to the donation page on our website: > http://wiki.wikimedia.in/Donate > > Thanking you, > Executive Committee, > Wikimedia India. > > *Reasoning* (From our public statement on 4 January, 2013) > > A lot of people may ask why the chapter needs a fundraiser when it has > access to WMF funding. The answer is, we are still ineligible for FDC of > WMF (we hope to be eligible for the second round of funding in 2013) and > would need to rely on grants, spending of which is restricted by the WMF. > Since formation, the chapter has relied heavily on the Executive Committee > to take on the burden of running the show. In an ideal world, the EC would > like to take on the role of guiding the chapter rather than actually be > responsible for operations after two years of incorporation, which should > be best done by professionals rather than volunteers in their spare time. > > The chapter has hired an employee (Sowmyan Tirumurti, our Executive > Manager) as well as plans to lease its own office premises in Bangalore. We > will need the help of those volunteers who are in a position to support us. > It could be a small individual donation or in the form of a corporate > donation from an institution. A small token of support from you could go a > long way in helping us achieving our goals of furthering the movement in > India.* > * > * > * > * > > -- > Thanks and regards, > Karthik Nadar, > Secretary, Wikimedia India Chapter. > -- Srikanth Ramakrishnan Member of the Executive Committee Wikimedia Chapter [India] Donate to the Wikimedia India Chapter today<http://wiki.wikimedia.in/Donations>

Re: Wikimedia India needs your support: Our First Fundraiser

Matin shaikh

I am confused about process, does it mean WMF is going to stop donation campaign in India? No more Jimmy Wales appeal for Indians?

Also, Can anyone from WMF provide reasons behind withdrawing financial support? It is sad to see now Indian Volunteers need to spend extra energy on collecting donations.

I will support Chapter fundraiser as WMF itself is encouraging volunteers to run for money.

Any clarification from WMF about this? Chapter expenses are beyond foundation capacity?

-Matin

On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 10:50 AM, Abhishek Suryawanshi <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

From third person, it looks like - WMF runs donation campaign, then asks regional chapters to raise money
> [...]

> > It would be great to have 'in-kind' donations option along with monetary > option. > > i.e If someone wants to donate projector,room,laptop etc in-kind, It may be > easy for donor also as well as Chapter to receive it. This will also make > sure Tax money is saved from both ends. > > > > Just two cents from my side. > > > > Regards, > Abhishek Suryawanshi, > > On Behalf of Wikipedia Club Pune > > > > > > > > ---------- Forwarded message ----------

Regard
         Matin Shaikh
      +91 84 84 88 5555

Re: Wikimedia India needs your support: Our First Fundraiser

Netha Hussain
Dear Matin,

does it mean WMF is going to stop donation campaign in India? No more Jimmy Wales appeal for Indians?

 The WMF will continue to run its own donation campaign in India. One could donate to the Foundation round the year, by following this link : https://donate.wikimedia.org/

The appeals ran in 5 major donor countries in November-December 2012. Another short fundraising drive for the rest of the world, including  India, will be launched in April 2013. The appeals will feature many editors, including Indian faces. More details can be found on the press release here : http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Press_releases/Wikimedia_Foundation_raises_25_million_in_2012_fundraiser

Regards

Netha Hussain

On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 10:23 PM, Matin shaikh <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

From third person, it looks like - WMF runs donation campaign, then asks regional chapters to raise money
> [...]

> > It would be great to have 'in-kind' donations option along with monetary > option. > > i.e If someone wants to donate projector,room,laptop etc in-kind, It may be > easy for donor also as well as Chapter to receive it. This will also make > sure Tax money is saved from both ends. > > > > Just two cents from my side. > > > > Regards, > Abhishek Suryawanshi, > > On Behalf of Wikipedia Club Pune > > > > > > > > ---------- Forwarded message ----------

Student of Medicine and Surgery
Govt. Medical College, Kozhikode

Blogs : nethahussain.blogspot.com
swethaambari.wordpress.com

Re: Wikimedia India needs your support: Our First Fundraiser

Abhishek Suryawanshi

Can anyone from WMF provide reasons behind withdrawing financial support? It is sad to see now Indian Volunteers need to spend extra energy on collecting donations.
Any clarification from WMF about this? Chapter expenses are beyond foundation capacity?

Maybe be (either Chapter or) WMF can clarify doubts and proposed budget.

It will be interesting to know process behind taking this big decision. Chapter consulted community or WMF before launching fundraiser?
Who proposed idea and who approved it?

Regards,

-Abhishek Suryawanshi

[...]

From third person, it looks like - WMF runs donation campaign, then asks regional chapters to raise money
> [...]

Regard
         Matin Shaikh
      +91 84 84 88 5555

Re: Wikimedia India needs your support: Our First Fundraiser

theo10011
Hi Matin

I believe Netha gave an excellent reply to most of your questions. Let me just add some minor points.

On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 2:53 PM, Matin shaikh <[hidden email]> wrote:

I am confused about process, does it mean WMF is going to stop donation campaign in India? No more Jimmy Wales appeal for Indians?

Also, Can anyone from WMF provide reasons behind withdrawing financial support? It is sad to see now Indian Volunteers need to spend extra energy on collecting donations.

Those are larger funding decisions, they aren't limited to the Indian chapter but affect all chapters and organizations. It is however an old decision at this point. I should also clarify that the funding hasn't exactly been removed for chapters but moved to a grant model, so it is still available. The problem in our case is that Indian laws don't make it easy to accept grants from WMF, there are regulatory approvals and proper filing that's needed that makes this process long and cumbersome. Also of note, is that our chapter didn't participate in the global fundraiser directly, the time between its approval and the move to change the global fundraising model was small, so the chapter only had 1-2 grants from WMF at its disposal since founding.

I will support Chapter fundraiser as WMF itself is encouraging volunteers to run for money.

Any clarification from WMF about this? Chapter expenses are beyond foundation capacity?

Yes, as I said, its an old decision at this point. There are several pages on Meta that you can read about justification for this move and what the current model is. The community was indeed consulted 2 years ago and just about everything has been said about that move.

I hope that clarifies sufficiently.

Regards
Theo

Re: Wikimedia India needs your support: Our First Fundraiser

Niraj Suryawanshi
Well this initiative is a good one, off-course we here in India do the fundraising, would help the whole movement for sure!
But the India Chapter is INELIGIBLE! hits me bad, "INELIGIBLE"? what does that mean?!
I would be glad to know about the same.
Regards & Thanks,

Niraj N. Suryawanshi
Pune Institute of Computer Technology | Wikipedia Club Pune
+91 814 992 0120 | niraj.suryawanshi@gmail.com

Re: Wikimedia India needs your support: Our First Fundraiser

Asaf Bartov-2
Hello, Niraj.

To clarify, Wikimedia India, and indeed any other group or individual Wikimedian in India, _is_ eligible for funding from the Wikimedia Foundation, via 3 different grant programs, described here:

There exists a fourth funding model which offers less restricted funds to affiliated entities that meet other, more stringent, eligibility standards, called the Funds Dissemination Committee (FDC) process.  You can read all about it at the FDC portal[1], and specifically about the eligibility criteria for the FDC[2].  At the moment, Wikimedia India does not meet all of the criteria.  It is likely that it _will_ by the next round of funding (not the one currently underway), later this year.

So no one has "withdrawn financial support" from India at all.

Indeed, Wikimedia India has lately been discussing with the Foundation its intent to submit two new grant proposals to the Wikimedia Grants Program (that I manage), and I personally encouraged them to do so.

I encourage you (and anyone reading this) to read the information pages on WMF's various funding models, starting with the link above.

Cheers,

   Asaf Bartov
   Wikimedia Foundation

On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 10:22 AM, Niraj Suryawanshi <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,
Well this initiative is a good one, off-course we here in India do the
fundraising, would help the whole movement for sure!
But the India Chapter is INELIGIBLE! hits me bad, "INELIGIBLE"? what does
that mean?!
I would be glad to know about the same.

-----
Regards & Thanks,

Niraj Suryawanshi
on behalf of Wikipedia Club Pune

    Asaf Bartov
    Wikimedia Foundation

Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. Help us make it a reality!