Wikimedia REST API hits v1.0

Gabriel Wicke-3
It is official: The Wikimedia REST API
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/REST_API>, your scalable and fresh source
of Wikimedia content and data in machine-readable formats, is now ready for
full production use. The 1.0 release means that you can now fully rely on
the stability guarantees set out in the API versioning policy
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/API_versioning>. Read more about the
stability levels, use cases, as well as technical background on how the
REST API integrates with our caching layers in our blog post:

https://blog.wikimedia.org/2017/04/06/wikimedia-rest-api/

We are looking forward to your feedback at
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk:REST_API, or here on-list.

This release was made possible by the hard work of many. First of all,
the Services
team <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Services> (Marko Obrovac,
Petr Pchelko and Eric Evans), created the general API proxy and storage
functionality, and curated the API documentation
<https://en.wikipedia.org/api/rest_v1/>. The actual end points are
co-designed with, and largely backed, by services developed by the
following WMF teams: Editing (Parsing
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Parsing> and citoid
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Citoid>), Reading
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Reading> (Infrastructure
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Reading_Infrastructure_team> and
Web <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Reading/Web>), and Analytics
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Analytics>. Volunteer Moritz Schubotz and
the MathJax <https://www.mathjax.org/> community contributed the math end
points, and the PDF end point is powered by the open source
electron-render-service <https://github.com/msokk/electron-render-service>
project. Finally, the WMF techops team
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Technical_Operations> runs the
excellent caching infrastructure that makes this API scale so well, and
have helped with many aspects from hardware procurement to firewalling.

Thank you all for your hard work!

We are looking forward to continuing to work with you all on making this
API an even better platform for building user experiences, services, and
tools.

Cheers,

Gabriel and the Services team

--
Gabriel Wicke
Principal Engineer, Wikimedia Foundation

Re: Wikimedia REST API hits v1.0

Victoria Coleman
Awesome! Well done Gabriel & team & everyone!!

Victoria

> On Apr 6, 2017, at 4:17 PM, Gabriel Wicke <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> It is official: The Wikimedia REST API
> <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/REST_API>, your scalable and fresh source
> of Wikimedia content and data in machine-readable formats, is now ready for
> full production use. The 1.0 release means that you can now fully rely on
> the stability guarantees set out in the API versioning policy
> <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/API_versioning>. Read more about the
> stability levels, use cases, as well as technical background on how the
> REST API integrates with our caching layers in our blog post:
>

> https://blog.wikimedia.org/2017/04/06/wikimedia-rest-api/
>

> We are looking forward to your feedback at
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk:REST_API, or here on-list.
>

> This release was made possible by the hard work of many. First of all,
> the Services
> team <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Services> (Marko Obrovac,
> Petr Pchelko and Eric Evans), created the general API proxy and storage
> functionality, and curated the API documentation
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/api/rest_v1/>. The actual end points are
> co-designed with, and largely backed, by services developed by the
> following WMF teams: Editing (Parsing
> <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Parsing> and citoid
> <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Citoid>), Reading
> <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Reading> (Infrastructure
> <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Reading_Infrastructure_team> and
> Web <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Reading/Web>), and Analytics
> <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Analytics>. Volunteer Moritz Schubotz and
> the MathJax <https://www.mathjax.org/> community contributed the math end
> points, and the PDF end point is powered by the open source
> electron-render-service <https://github.com/msokk/electron-render-service>
> project. Finally, the WMF techops team
> <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Technical_Operations> runs the
> excellent caching infrastructure that makes this API scale so well, and
> have helped with many aspects from hardware procurement to firewalling.
>

> Thank you all for your hard work!
>

> We are looking forward to continuing to work with you all on making this
> API an even better platform for building user experiences, services, and
> tools.
>

> Cheers,
>

> Gabriel and the Services team
>

> --
> Gabriel Wicke
> Principal Engineer, Wikimedia Foundation

Re: Wikimedia REST API hits v1.0

Jiang BIAN
Congratulations!

On Thu, Apr 6, 2017 at 5:14 PM, Victoria Coleman <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Awesome! Well done Gabriel & team & everyone!!
>
> Victoria
> > On Apr 6, 2017, at 4:17 PM, Gabriel Wicke <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > It is official: The Wikimedia REST API
> > <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/REST_API>, your scalable and fresh
> source
> > of Wikimedia content and data in machine-readable formats, is now ready
> for
> > full production use. The 1.0 release means that you can now fully rely on
> > the stability guarantees set out in the API versioning policy
> > <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/API_versioning>. Read more about the
> > stability levels, use cases, as well as technical background on how the
> > REST API integrates with our caching layers in our blog post:
> >

> > https://blog.wikimedia.org/2017/04/06/wikimedia-rest-api/
> >

> > We are looking forward to your feedback at
> > https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk:REST_API, or here on-list.
> >

> > This release was made possible by the hard work of many. First of all,
> > the Services
> > team <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Services> (Marko Obrovac,
> > Petr Pchelko and Eric Evans), created the general API proxy and storage
> > functionality, and curated the API documentation
> > <https://en.wikipedia.org/api/rest_v1/>. The actual end points are
> > co-designed with, and largely backed, by services developed by the
> > following WMF teams: Editing (Parsing
> > <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Parsing> and citoid
> > <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Citoid>), Reading
> > <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Reading> (Infrastructure
> > <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Reading_Infrastructure_team>
> and
> > Web <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Reading/Web>), and Analytics
> > <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Analytics>. Volunteer Moritz Schubotz
> and
> > the MathJax <https://www.mathjax.org/> community contributed the math
> end
> > points, and the PDF end point is powered by the open source
> > electron-render-service <https://github.com/msokk/
> electron-render-service>
> > project. Finally, the WMF techops team
> > <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Technical_Operations> runs the
> > excellent caching infrastructure that makes this API scale so well, and
> > have helped with many aspects from hardware procurement to firewalling.
> >

> > Thank you all for your hard work!
> >

> > We are looking forward to continuing to work with you all on making this
> > API an even better platform for building user experiences, services, and
> > tools.
> >

> > Cheers,
> >

> > Gabriel and the Services team
> >

> > --
> > Gabriel Wicke
> > Principal Engineer, Wikimedia Foundation

Jiang BIAN

This email may be confidential or privileged.  If you received this
communication by mistake, please don't forward it to anyone else, please
erase all copies and attachments, and please let me know that it went to
the wrong person.  Thanks.