[Wikimedia Research Showcase] April 17 at 11:30 AM PDT, 19:30 UTC

[Wikimedia Research Showcase] April 17 at 11:30 AM PDT, 19:30 UTC

Janna Layton
Hello, everyone,

The next Research Showcase, “Group Membership and Contributions to Public
Information Goods: The Case of WikiProject” and “Thanks for Stopping By: A
Study of ‘Thanks’ Usage on Wikimedia,” will be live-streamed next
Wednesday, April 17, 2019, at 11:30 AM PDT/19:30 UTC.

YouTube stream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmb5LoJzOoE

As usual, you can join the conversation on IRC at #wikimedia-research. You
can also watch our past research showcases here:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Research/Showcase

This month's presentations:

Group Membership and Contributions to Public Information Goods: The Case of
WikiProject

By Ark Fangzhou Zhang

Abstract:

We investigate the effects of group identity on contribution behavior on
the English Wikipedia, the largest online encyclopedia that gives free
access to the public. Using an instrumental variable approach that exploits
the variations in one’s exposure to WikiProject, we find that joining a
WikiProject has a significant impact on one’s level of contribution, with
an average increase of 79 revisions or 8,672 character per month. To
uncover the potential mechanism underlying the treatment effect, we use the
size of home page for WikiProject as a proxy for the number of
recommendations from a project. The results show that the users who join a
WikiProject with more recommendations significantly increase their
contribution to articles under the joined project, but not to articles
under other projects.

Thanks for Stopping By: A Study of ‘Thanks’ Usage on Wikimedia

By Swati Goel

Abstract:

The Thanks feature on Wikipedia, also known as "Thanks," is a tool with
which editors can quickly and easily send one other positive feedback. The
aim of this project is to better understand this feature: its scope, the
characteristics of a typical "Thanks" interaction, and the effects of
receiving a thank on individual editors. We study the motivational impacts
of "Thanks" because maintaining editor engagement is a central problem for
crowdsourced repositories of knowledge such as Wikimedia. Our main findings
are that most editors have not been exposed to the Thanks feature (meaning
they have never given nor received a thank), thanks are typically sent
upwards (from less experienced to more experienced editors), and receiving
a thank is correlated with having high levels of editor engagement. Though
the prevalence of "Thanks" usage varies by editor experience, the impact of
receiving a thank seems mostly consistent for all users. We empirically
demonstrate that receiving a thank has a strong positive effect on
short-term editor activity across the board and provide preliminary
evidence that thanks could compound to have long-term effects as well.

--
Janna Layton (she, her)
Administrative Assistant - Audiences & Technology

Re: [Analytics] [Wikimedia Research Showcase] April 17 at 11:30 AM PDT, 19:30 UTC

Scott Hale
Thank you for organizing. Just a note for Europe based colleagues, that
11:30AM PDT is 18:30 UTC.
This will be 20:30 Central European Summer Time or 19:30 Western European
Summer Time (e.g., Portugal and UK).

Cheers,
Scott

On Fri, Apr 12, 2019 at 8:49 AM Janna Layton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> crowdsourced repositories of knowledge such as Wikimedia. Our main findings
> are that most editors have not been exposed to the Thanks feature (meaning
> they have never given nor received a thank), thanks are typically sent
> upwards (from less experienced to more experienced editors), and receiving
> a thank is correlated with having high levels of editor engagement. Though
> the prevalence of "Thanks" usage varies by editor experience, the impact of
> receiving a thank seems mostly consistent for all users. We empirically
> demonstrate that receiving a thank has a strong positive effect on
> short-term editor activity across the board and provide preliminary
> evidence that thanks could compound to have long-term effects as well.
>

> --
> Janna Layton (she, her)
> Administrative Assistant - Audiences & Technology

Dr Scott A. Hale
http://scott.hale.us

Re: [Wikimedia Research Showcase] April 17 at 11:30 AM PDT, 19:30 UTC

Janna Layton
Just a reminder that this Showcase will be happening on Wednesday.

On Thu, Apr 11, 2019 at 4:49 PM Janna Layton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> are that most editors have not been exposed to the Thanks feature (meaning
> they have never given nor received a thank), thanks are typically sent
> upwards (from less experienced to more experienced editors), and receiving
> a thank is correlated with having high levels of editor engagement. Though
> the prevalence of "Thanks" usage varies by editor experience, the impact of
> receiving a thank seems mostly consistent for all users. We empirically
> demonstrate that receiving a thank has a strong positive effect on
> short-term editor activity across the board and provide preliminary
> evidence that thanks could compound to have long-term effects as well.
>

> --
> Janna Layton (she, her)
> Administrative Assistant - Audiences & Technology

Janna Layton (she, her)
Administrative Assistant - Audiences & Technology

Transferring CC-BY scientific literature into WP

Alexandre Hocquet
Dear Wikiresearchers,

You may be aware that a rising number of scientific publications are
published under a CC-BY licence.

Roughly describing the politics of academic publishing, one can say that
publishers hold on to a very profictable business by paywalling
articles, academics tend to publish in the most prestigious (paywalled)
journals for the sake of their career, but some institutions (like the
NIH in the US or the Plan S in Europe) are beginning to require that the
publicly funded research papers be accessible to all, surfing on the
wave of a desirable "open" science.

One of the consequences of this situation is that, through what is
called "gold" open access, authors are actually paying the publishers
for their paper to be published in a (usually paywalled) journal under a
CC (most of the time CC-BY) licence.

The merits and issues of gold open access is beyond the scope of my
post, but, as an academic and a wikipedian, I can see potential here :
The re-use into Wikipedia of scientific texts on a massive scale.

I am aware that some experiments have been started in the past.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Circular_permutation_in_proteins#Preparing_Extension_of_article
https://journals.plos.org/ploscompbiol/article?id=10.1371/journal.pcbi.1002446

The PloS journals actually tried to open bridges between their texts and
Wikipedia articles and the "Circular permutation of proteins" example
(and a few others) inspired me to actually transfer one of my papers
that was published in a wholly CC-BY journal into a wikipedia article.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computational_Chemistry_List
https://jcheminf.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s13321-018-0322-7

My point is : as it can be imagined that the number of CC-BY scientific
papers will likely sky-rocket in the next years, would not it be
relevant to try to organise "CC-BY scientific papers" driven
edit-a-thons (in academic libraries for example) to foster such
practices (and also adress the issues of wikification / neutralisation /
secondarification that it would imply) ?
Or do such initiatives exist already ?

Alexandre Hocquet
Archives Henri Poincaré & Science History Institute
[hidden email]
https://www.sciencehistory.org/profile/alexandre-hocquet
https://poincare.univ-lorraine.fr/fr/membre-titulaire/alexandre-hocquet

Re: [Wikimedia Research Showcase] April 17 at 11:30 AM PDT, 19:30 UTC

Janna Layton
The Research Showcase will be starting in about 30 minutes. Topics today
are WikiProject and the "Thanks" feature. Info below:

On Mon, Apr 15, 2019 at 2:57 PM Janna Layton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> a thank is correlated with having high levels of editor engagement. Though
>> the prevalence of "Thanks" usage varies by editor experience, the impact of
>> receiving a thank seems mostly consistent for all users. We empirically
>> demonstrate that receiving a thank has a strong positive effect on
>> short-term editor activity across the board and provide preliminary
>> evidence that thanks could compound to have long-term effects as well.
>>

>> --
>> Janna Layton (she, her)
>> Administrative Assistant - Audiences & Technology
>> Wikimedia Foundation <https://wikimediafoundation.org/>
>>

> --
> Janna Layton (she, her)
> Administrative Assistant - Audiences & Technology

Janna Layton (she, her)
Administrative Assistant - Audiences & Technology

Re: Transferring CC-BY scientific literature into WP

Federico Leva (Nemo)
Alexandre Hocquet, 17/04/19 20:40:
> My point is : as it can be imagined that the number of CC-BY scientific
> papers will likely sky-rocket in the next years, would not it be
> relevant to try to organise "CC-BY scientific papers" driven edit-a-thons

Importing text and images from freely licensed papers to Wikimedia wikis
is a common practice. Several initiatives exist to further spread it.
Wikimedia entities have stressed the importance of "libre open access"
(free licenses) for over a decade now.

When we rewrote the terms of use in 2009, we made sure to make such
imports easy:
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Terms_of_use#7c>

Many local explanations and tools also exist, like:
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Copying_text_from_other_sources#Can_I_copy_from_open_license_or_public_domain_sources?>

The biggest import happened on Wikimedia Commons:
<https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Open_Access_Media_Importer_Bot>

Larger imports of text have been discussed several times, mostly for
Wikisource:
<https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Wikisource:WikiProject_Open_Access/Programmatic_import_from_PubMed_Central/Draft_RfC>

Federico

Re: Transferring CC-BY scientific literature into WP

metasj
A wikisource toolchain for importing articles would be wonderful.
There is no equivalent place for public comments, categorization, and dense
internal linking across such texts.

On 17/04/2019 20:36, Federico Leva (Nemo) wrote:

> Alexandre Hocquet, 17/04/19 20:40:
>> My point is : as it can be imagined that the number of CC-BY
>> scientific papers will likely sky-rocket in the next years, would not
>> it be relevant to try to organise "CC-BY scientific papers" driven
>> edit-a-thons
>
> Importing text and images from freely licensed papers to Wikimedia wikis
> is a common practice. Several initiatives exist to further spread it.
> Wikimedia entities have stressed the importance of "libre open access"
> (free licenses) for over a decade now.

I do not doubt that the inclination and the infrastructure exist on the
Wikimedia side. My point is that the number of compatible academic
papers is on the verge of increasing exponentially in the next few years
and that people involved in higher education should be aware of that
potentiality, be they scholars or (crucially) librarians.

Alexandre Hocquet
Archives Henri Poincaré & Science History Institute
[hidden email]
https://www.sciencehistory.org/profile/alexandre-hocquet
https://poincare.univ-lorraine.fr/fr/membre-titulaire/alexandre-hocquet

Re: Transferring CC-BY scientific literature into WP

Stuart A. Yeates
Wikipedia is a tertiary source, built from secondary sources. Journal
articles which contain innovative research or new contributions are
primary sources. Review articles are secondary sources.

The median contribution to wikipedia of most journal articles is going
to be nil. Some will contribute diagrams and images, but only after
validation in the form of review articles or republishing in widely
used textbooks.

We already have enough academics wikilawyering references to their own
articles in wikipedia.

cheers
stuart

On Thu, 18 Apr 2019 at 07:02, Alexandre Hocquet
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 17/04/2019 20:36, Federico Leva (Nemo) wrote:
> > Alexandre Hocquet, 17/04/19 20:40:
> >> My point is : as it can be imagined that the number of CC-BY
> >> scientific papers will likely sky-rocket in the next years, would not
> >> it be relevant to try to organise "CC-BY scientific papers" driven
> >> edit-a-thons
> >
> > Importing text and images from freely licensed papers to Wikimedia wikis
> > is a common practice. Several initiatives exist to further spread it.
> > Wikimedia entities have stressed the importance of "libre open access"
> > (free licenses) for over a decade now.
>
> I do not doubt that the inclination and the infrastructure exist on the
> Wikimedia side. My point is that the number of compatible academic
> papers is on the verge of increasing exponentially in the next few years
> and that people involved in higher education should be aware of that
> potentiality, be they scholars or (crucially) librarians.

> Alexandre Hocquet
> Archives Henri Poincaré & Science History Institute
> [hidden email]
> https://www.sciencehistory.org/profile/alexandre-hocquet
> https://poincare.univ-lorraine.fr/fr/membre-titulaire/alexandre-hocquet

Re: Transferring CC-BY scientific literature into WP

Leila Zia
On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 12:50 PM Stuart A. Yeates <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Wikipedia is a tertiary source, built from secondary sources. Journal
> articles which contain innovative research or new contributions are
> primary sources. Review articles are secondary sources.

I need some education here, please: What about Wikisource? Isn't the
project targeted at primary sources?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikisource#What_is_Wikisource?

Thanks,
Leila

On 17/04/2019 21:56, Leila Zia wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 12:50 PM Stuart A. Yeates <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Wikipedia is a tertiary source, built from secondary sources. Journal
>     articles which contain innovative research or new contributions are
>     primary sources. Review articles are secondary sources.
> I need some education here, please: What about Wikisource? Isn't the
> project targeted at primary sources?
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikisource#What_is_Wikisource?

Well, if you regard the idea as to massively and automatically import
scientific literature into an encyclopaedia, I guess your points are valid.

But it is not what I'm advocating for, here. My point is that there is a
lot of wikipedia-useful information within academic papers that could be
re-used. Think about reviews : their purpose is actually to be a
tertiary synthesis based on secondary sources. Think about the
"Introduction" sections of papers : there are supposed to perform a
survey of existing literature. Think about some papers in some academic
fields in the Human sciences that are actually entirely built on
previous litterature.

I'm not saying that it would be useful to uncritically import, I'm
saying that we could benefit from some of this material, and that
instead of rejecting it as mere self-promotion, or condemning the entire
scientific literature as being "primary" (what? then a lot of wikipedia
articles should be labelled as {{secondary sources needed}}) we should
learn how to re-use it eficiently.

Alexandre Hocquet
Archives Henri Poincaré & Science History Institute
[hidden email]
https://www.sciencehistory.org/profile/alexandre-hocquet
https://poincare.univ-lorraine.fr/fr/membre-titulaire/alexandre-hocquet

Re: Transferring CC-BY scientific literature into WP

Stuart A. Yeates
On Thu, 18 Apr 2019 at 08:29, Alexandre Hocquet
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> what? then a lot of wikipedia
> articles should be labelled as {{secondary sources needed}})

Exactly. Sourcing as a whole across wikipedia already relies too
heavily on primary sources. I regularly tag articles as such.

cheers
stuart

On 17/04/2019 22:36, Stuart A. Yeates wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Apr 2019 at 08:29, Alexandre Hocquet wrote:
>> what? then a lot of wikipedia
>> articles should be labelled as {{secondary sources needed}})
> Exactly. Sourcing as a whole across wikipedia already relies too
> heavily on primary sources. I regularly tag articles as such.

Well, fair enough then. Good luck for your crusade, and thanks for your
interesting views about what constitutes primary, secondary and
tertiary. I guess I now have an answer about how much sympathy my
suggestion would bring.

Alexandre Hocquet
Archives Henri Poincaré & Science History Institute
[hidden email]
https://www.sciencehistory.org/profile/alexandre-hocquet
https://poincare.univ-lorraine.fr/fr/membre-titulaire/alexandre-hocquet

Re: Transferring CC-BY scientific literature into WP

Timothy Wood
This looks like a job for Wikisource. If nothing else, so long as we can
verify their CC licensing is compatible, we can archive and preserve them
in perpetuity on WS. Unfortunately I've scarcely contributed to WS
personally. I've reached out to a WS admin that I know from Commons. When
they reply I'll cc them on this thread.

V/r
TJW/GMG

On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 4:47 PM Alexandre Hocquet <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 17/04/2019 22:36, Stuart A. Yeates wrote:
> > On Thu, 18 Apr 2019 at 08:29, Alexandre Hocquet wrote:
> >> what? then a lot of wikipedia
> >> articles should be labelled as {{secondary sources needed}})
> > Exactly. Sourcing as a whole across wikipedia already relies too
> > heavily on primary sources. I regularly tag articles as such.
>
> Well, fair enough then. Good luck for your crusade, and thanks for your
> interesting views about what constitutes primary, secondary and
> tertiary. I guess I now have an answer about how much sympathy my
> suggestion would bring.

> Alexandre Hocquet
> Archives Henri Poincaré & Science History Institute
> [hidden email]
> https://www.sciencehistory.org/profile/alexandre-hocquet
> https://poincare.univ-lorraine.fr/fr/membre-titulaire/alexandre-hocquet

Re: Transferring CC-BY scientific literature into WP

Stuart A. Yeates
Given that there are organisations already organised, funded and
operating to preserve and promote open-access research, we might want
to think about focusing on getting deep interoperability with them,
rather than sucking all the content into Wikisource, where we can't
provide half the functionality that they can.

cheers
stuart

On Thu, 18 Apr 2019 at 09:47, Timothy Wood <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This looks like a job for Wikisource. If nothing else, so long as we can
> verify their CC licensing is compatible, we can archive and preserve them
> in perpetuity on WS. Unfortunately I've scarcely contributed to WS
> personally. I've reached out to a WS admin that I know from Commons. When
> they reply I'll cc them on this thread.
>
> V/r
> TJW/GMG
>
> On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 4:47 PM Alexandre Hocquet <
> [hidden email]> wrote:

> > > Exactly. Sourcing as a whole across wikipedia already relies too
> > > heavily on primary sources. I regularly tag articles as such.
> >
> > Well, fair enough then. Good luck for your crusade, and thanks for your
> > interesting views about what constitutes primary, secondary and
> > tertiary. I guess I now have an answer about how much sympathy my
> > suggestion would bring.

> > Alexandre Hocquet
> > Archives Henri Poincaré & Science History Institute
> > [hidden email]
> > https://www.sciencehistory.org/profile/alexandre-hocquet
> > https://poincare.univ-lorraine.fr/fr/membre-titulaire/alexandre-hocquet

Re: Transferring CC-BY scientific literature into WP

Timothy Wood
Well, we do have some things going for us that they might not, like a
translation regime. But I wouldn't pretend to know half of the
functionality that we can actually provide given that the papers are
properly integrated into Wikidata.

On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 6:25 PM Stuart A. Yeates <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Given that there are organisations already organised, funded and
> operating to preserve and promote open-access research, we might want
> to think about focusing on getting deep interoperability with them,
> rather than sucking all the content into Wikisource, where we can't
> provide half the functionality that they can.
>
> cheers
> stuart
> --
> ...let us be heard from red core to black sky
>
> On Thu, 18 Apr 2019 at 09:47, Timothy Wood <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > This looks like a job for Wikisource. If nothing else, so long as we can
> > verify their CC licensing is compatible, we can archive and preserve them
> > in perpetuity on WS. Unfortunately I've scarcely contributed to WS
> > personally. I've reached out to a WS admin that I know from Commons. When
> > they reply I'll cc them on this thread.
> >
> > V/r
> > TJW/GMG
> >
> > On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 4:47 PM Alexandre Hocquet <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:

> > > Well, fair enough then. Good luck for your crusade, and thanks for your
> > > interesting views about what constitutes primary, secondary and
> > > tertiary. I guess I now have an answer about how much sympathy my
> > > suggestion would bring.
> > >

> > > --
> > > ***********************************************
> > > Alexandre Hocquet
> > > Archives Henri Poincaré & Science History Institute
> > > [hidden email]
> > > https://www.sciencehistory.org/profile/alexandre-hocquet
> > >
> https://poincare.univ-lorraine.fr/fr/membre-titulaire/alexandre-hocquet

Re: Transferring CC-BY scientific literature into WP

Jack Park
This sounds right to me. I suspect this might be the first time I posted
here, but Stuart's comment makes sense. There really are several entities,
such as the activities of Paul Allen's institute's work in AI and
scholarship; but, if Wikipedia is to tie in with these cc-by research
documents, it seems to me that many of those documents are about topics
already in Wikipedia; linking to them, updating the Wikipedia topic to
reflect new information by way of deep interoperability and machine reading
techniques makes sense.

On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 3:25 PM Stuart A. Yeates <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Given that there are organisations already organised, funded and
> operating to preserve and promote open-access research, we might want
> to think about focusing on getting deep interoperability with them,
> rather than sucking all the content into Wikisource, where we can't
> provide half the functionality that they can.
>
> cheers
> stuart
> --
> ...let us be heard from red core to black sky
>
> On Thu, 18 Apr 2019 at 09:47, Timothy Wood <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > This looks like a job for Wikisource. If nothing else, so long as we can
> > verify their CC licensing is compatible, we can archive and preserve them
> > in perpetuity on WS. Unfortunately I've scarcely contributed to WS
> > personally. I've reached out to a WS admin that I know from Commons. When
> > they reply I'll cc them on this thread.
> >
> > V/r
> > TJW/GMG
> >
> > On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 4:47 PM Alexandre Hocquet <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:

> > > Well, fair enough then. Good luck for your crusade, and thanks for your
> > > interesting views about what constitutes primary, secondary and
> > > tertiary. I guess I now have an answer about how much sympathy my
> > > suggestion would bring.
> > >

> > > --
> > > ***********************************************
> > > Alexandre Hocquet
> > > Archives Henri Poincaré & Science History Institute
> > > [hidden email]
> > > https://www.sciencehistory.org/profile/alexandre-hocquet
> > >
> https://poincare.univ-lorraine.fr/fr/membre-titulaire/alexandre-hocquet

Re: Transferring CC-BY scientific literature into WP

Timothy Wood
Bumping to cc Yann on the thread as an experienced Wikisource user.

V/r
TJW/GMG