[Wikimedia Research] link between Wikipedia references and citations in scientific journal articles

[Wikimedia Research] link between Wikipedia references and citations in scientific journal articles

john cummings-3
Hi all

Some time ago I'm sure I remember reading something about a study that
looked at the link between the number of times a reference was used on
Wikipedia and the number of times the source was referenced in journal
articles. Does anyone know what I'm talking about or have something
similar?

Thanks very much

John

Re: [Wikimedia Research] link between Wikipedia references and citations in scientific journal articles

Isaac Johnson
John,
I think you are thinking of this:
https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3039505

Best,
Isaac

On Fri, Jul 12, 2019 at 11:25 AM john cummings <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi all
>
> Some time ago I'm sure I remember reading something about a study that
> looked at the link between the number of times a reference was used on
> Wikipedia and the number of times the source was referenced in journal
> articles. Does anyone know what I'm talking about or have something
> similar?
>
> Thanks very much
>
> John

Isaac Johnson -- Research Scientist -- Wikimedia Foundation

Re: [Wikimedia Research] link between Wikipedia references and citations in scientific journal articles

Misha Teplitskiy
Maybe this?
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/asi.23687

On Fri, Jul 12, 2019 at 12:29 PM Isaac Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> John,
> I think you are thinking of this:
> https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3039505
>
> Best,
> Isaac
>
> On Fri, Jul 12, 2019 at 11:25 AM john cummings <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi all
> >
> > Some time ago I'm sure I remember reading something about a study that
> > looked at the link between the number of times a reference was used on
> > Wikipedia and the number of times the source was referenced in journal
> > articles. Does anyone know what I'm talking about or have something
> > similar?
> >
> > Thanks very much
> >
> > John

> Isaac Johnson -- Research Scientist -- Wikimedia Foundation

Re: [Wikimedia Research] link between Wikipedia references and citations in scientific journal articles

john cummings-3
Thanks both, really helpful :)

fn

Re: [Wikimedia Research] link between Wikipedia references and citations in scientific journal articles

fn

Another one is my First Monday article "Scientific citations in
Wikipedia" from 2007
https://firstmonday.org/article/view/1997/1872

There is also "Clustering of scientific citations in Wikipedia"
https://arxiv.org/abs/0805.1154

These studies are, however, not on the individual article level, but
rather on the journal level.

Finn Årup Nielsen
http://people.compute.dtu.dk/faan/