Wikimedia UK - A few questions

Ian A. Holton
Hi,

 I have a few questions that I haven't been able to answer by reading
this list for a while now and neither were they on the website.

a) When does the foundation plan to become a charitable organisation?

b) Will the charitable organisation hold annual general meetings with
elections, as is custom in other countries or will it run more along the
foundation style appointment. Basically: Democracy or not?

c) What events and other activities will the charitable organisation be
involved in?

d) What is the current financial situation with not having a bank
account?

I ask this because Wikimedia UK at the moment, at least to me and this
is meant with no offence, seems rather inactive. However, I could
imagine getting involved in certain areas in the future.

Ian

Re: Wikimedia UK - A few questions

Alison M. Wheeler
On Sun, March 9, 2008 21:59, Ian A Holton wrote:
> a) When does the foundation plan to become a charitable organisation?

We apply five minutes after a bank believes we are not in the money
laundering business. The AoA/MoA were designed with becoming a Charity in
mind and we do not envisage any big problems, but a requirement of the
form is details of our bank account and this has become our difficulty to
date. As you can imagine we are very annoyed at this delay as much as you
all are.

> b) Will the charitable organisation hold annual general meetings with
> elections, as is custom in other countries or will it run more along the
> foundation style appointment. Basically: Democracy or not?

Both. Yes, there will be an AGM for the Chapter and for the Company (which
may well be held on the same day); they are similar but slightly
different. Because of the legal requirements upon the Company it is likely
to be 'democracy with experience'.

> c) What events and other activities will the charitable organisation be
> involved in?

Fund-raising, conciousness-raising (about Wikis generally and their
benefit to education), profile-raising. Some of this we are already doing
but a lack of banking facilities has meant that it is mostly small-scale
at present.

> d) What is the current financial situation with not having a bank
> account?

A damn nuisance. We have been unable to accept donations except where made
in cash. Full accounts are, of course, held and will be published as per
the law regarding companies, etc.

> I ask this because Wikimedia UK at the moment, at least to me and this
> is meant with no offence, seems rather inactive. However, I could
> imagine getting involved in certain areas in the future.

We are like the proverbial duck paddling with all our might but under the
water where you can't see the effort. We've had in principle plans for a
big launch event in place now for over a year and lots of ideas for where
we want to see things happen (and certainly welcome more). Most of our
activities to date have been in the areas of press / media response and of
supplying speakers (er, usually me) to conferences, panels. Indeed I am
talking at one this Friday and another at the end of the month.

Hope that helps; as soon as we have something really positive to pass on
we will be making a big fuss of it! (and we hope it won't be too much
longer)

Alison

Re: Wikimedia UK - A few questions

Gordon Joly
At 23:43 +0000 9/3/08, Alison Wheeler wrote:
>On Sun, March 9, 2008 21:59, Ian A Holton wrote:
>  > a) When does the foundation plan to become a charitable organisation?
>
>We apply five minutes after a bank believes we are not in the money
>laundering business. The AoA/MoA were designed with becoming a Charity in
>mind and we do not envisage any big problems, but a requirement of the
>form is details of our bank account and this has become our difficulty to
>date. As you can imagine we are very annoyed at this delay as much as you
>all are.

I think "the foundation" in Ian's question applies only to the
Airstrip One branch.

Gordon

--
"Think Feynman"/////////
http://pobox.com/~gordo/

Re: Wikimedia UK - A few questions

Gordon Joly
At 23:43 +0000 9/3/08, Alison Wheeler wrote:

>On Sun, March 9, 2008 21:59, Ian A Holton wrote:
>>  a) When does the foundation plan to become a charitable organisation?
>
>We apply five minutes after a bank believes we are not in the money
>laundering business. The AoA/MoA were designed with becoming a Charity in
>mind and we do not envisage any big problems, but a requirement of the
>form is details of our bank account and this has become our difficulty to
>date. As you can imagine we are very annoyed at this delay as much as you
>all are.

Not since the new lower base rate of Income Tax means that from the
new tax year Gift Aid will be worth less, since from 6th April 2008
basic income tax will reduce from 22% to 20% (and the 10% band
disappears).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gift_Aid

http://tinyurl.com/2cp4ue

So, you might pay less tax but this means "Wikipedia UK" gets less
when it recovers your Income Tax.

Gordo

--
"Think Feynman"/////////
http://pobox.com/~gordo/

Re: Wikimedia UK - A few questions

Gordon Joly
At 23:43 +0000 9/3/08, Alison Wheeler wrote:
>On Sun, March 9, 2008 21:59, Ian A Holton wrote:
>>  a) When does the foundation plan to become a charitable organisation?
>
>We apply five minutes after a bank believes we are not in the money
>laundering business.

So, when will this happen?

Gordo

--