Wikimedia UK membership fees

Thomas Dalton
I've just been looking into officially joining the UK chapter, and I
have a couple of questions about fees that I hope someone can answer:

1) It appears that students don't qualify for the concession rate - is
that correct?

2) £25 a year seems like quite a large amount. What was the reasoning
behind that particular number?

Tom

Re: Wikimedia UK membership fees

Tom Holden
I asked the first question before (at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Andreww#Wikimedia_UK_Membership_query
answered http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=User_talk:Cfp#Wikimedia_UK_2),
and apparent students should just put themselves down as
concessionary, no proof of status required.

As for the second question, £25 a year isn't that much, many charities
suggest £5+ a month.

Tom

On 19/09/2007, Tom Holden <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I asked the first question before (at
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Andreww#Wikimedia_UK_Membership_query
> answered http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=User_talk:Cfp#Wikimedia_UK_2),
> and apparent students should just put themselves down as
> concessionary, no proof of status required.

Excellent.

> As for the second question, £25 a year isn't that much, many charities
> suggest £5+ a month.

It depends if you think of it as a charitable donation, or as a
membership fee. It's quite small for the first, quite large for the
second. I would have set the membership fee quite low and encouraged
discretionary donations of a larger amount. It's not a major issue
though - especially as I apparently qualify for the concession rate
anyway. ;)

Re: Wikimedia UK membership fees

Gordon Joly
At 15:00 +0100 19/9/07, Tom Holden wrote:

>I asked the first question before (at
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Andreww#Wikimedia_UK_Membership_query
>answered
>http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=User_talk:Cfp#Wikimedia_UK_2),
>and apparent students should just put themselves down as
>concessionary, no proof of status required.
>
>As for the second question, £25 a year isn't that much, many charities
>suggest £5+ a month.
>
>Tom

I tend to disagree.  I am active in many areas,
and when I was looking at more that one 25 quid
membership, I stopped....

I agree, 25 quid is the going rate, but I am on a
low income, and I tend to support many bodies,
not just Wikipedia.

Gordo

--
"Think Feynman"/////////
http://pobox.com/~gordo/

Re: Wikimedia UK membership fees

Gordon Joly

But is Wiki Educational Resources Limited a charity (yet)?

"Wikimedia UK is the operating name of Wiki Educational Resources
Limited, a Company limited by Guarantee and incorporated in England
and Wales, number 05708269. "Wikimedia", the Wikimedia logo, and
various other devices are marks owned by Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.,
and are used under licence."

Gordo

--
"Think Feynman"/////////
http://pobox.com/~gordo/

Re: Wikimedia UK membership fees

Thomas Dalton
> But is Wiki Educational Resources Limited a charity (yet)?

As far as I know, no. That doesn't mean it can't accept donations, it
just means they aren't tax deductible. An update on how the charitable
status application is progressing would be good.